Do You Have a "Favored" Tool?

SuiteSuccess

Don't know if it will be my favorite tool, but stands to be a favored tool. Channel lock pliers for spin on filters, in my case to change my 5 1/2" spin on air dryer cartridge. Tried a strap wrench I had but couldn't get it to budge. These suckers are 16" long and will spread to 6 3/4".

54JuHall.jpg

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

My favorite tool depends on what I need at that moment. If I need a 5" long 10mm socket to take off the bumper on a Honda, that is my favorite tool. Tonight it happened to be a 24" long, 1/2 drive flex head ratchet and a 22mm crowfoot to get a downstream O2 sensor out. Yesterday was a zero degree offset long boxed end wrench to remove the bolts on a small block Ford flywheel. I wind up having LOTS of favorite tools that way.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Hi everyone,

LOL re: the BFH and MasterCard :-)

Seriously, my favourite tool is the Leatherman Micra. I've been carrying it on my keychain for 15+ years and it's easily my most used tool, more often than not it gets the job done and saves the trip to the toolbox.

I also have a Leatherman Supertool with the Leatherman hex bit adapter and a set of tool bits, which I carry in my car's glovebox along with a small spool of steel wire and a roll of gorilla tape. The set had been useful in emergencies in the past, but doesn't get nearly as much use as the Micra.

Cheers,

--

Vall.

Getting ready to join the RV full-time lifestyle in 2017!

Hi everyone,

LOL re: the BFH and MasterCard :-)

Seriously, my favourite tool is the Leatherman Micra. I've been carrying it on my keychain for 15+ years and it's easily my most used tool, more often than not it gets the job done and saves the trip to the toolbox.

I also have a Leatherman Supertool with the Leatherman hex bit adapter and a set of tool bits, which I carry in my car's glovebox along with a small spool of steel wire and a roll of gorilla tape. The set had been useful in emergencies in the past, but doesn't get nearly as much use as the Micra.

Cheers,

--

Vall.

X 10,000 VALL

When Old man Leatherman was much younger and first starting out he hired a young and very sharp mechanical engineer named Chris Folkman who shared a Intense passion for THE BEST Tools...

Chris gave me my Leatherman Kick model and it is a very Plain-jane model HOWEVER it has been used for DECADE'S and has performed FLAWLESSLY.....now nothing is perfect.....the heavy duty ballistic nylon Leatherman holster has needed some repairs from wear and tear, but the kid across our alley in Bend does custom upholstery and gun Case's has finally hit on patching my Leatherman holster with heavy Kevlar and it seems pretty good for now....

One evening I had to go to a formal dinner and the wife sets out one of my zoot-suits and tie... during the course of the dinner I unbutton my suit jacket and one of the Dollymomma's friends comments that I even wear my old Leatherman to white-tie dinners...... Dollyomma says "oh heck, he's even showers (once a month) with the darn Leatherman....I found it in the shower soap dish the other day..." (Leatherman works fine for repairing shower heads)... so the lady chuckled and started ribbing me about carrying my Leatherman everywhere and I reached over and ask for her purse and opened it up just enough to see the little gold plated auto-loader that she carries in a custom purse holster and then I grinned and said "well my Leatherman has a lot more uses than the "TOOL" you pack in your purse holster".....she reached over and took her purse back and beamed a big smile and then said, "Well, my TOOL may not have as MANY uses as your Leatherman tool, HOWEVER, my tool drills holes faster than your Leatherman".....Gulp...I smiled back and said "I never argue with a lady that packs a fast drilling tool in her purse".

Leatherman....great tool,(unless you need holes drilled fast).

Drive on ... (don't shower without your Leatherman tool)?

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Ahhh, multi-tools. Whether they be Leatherman, Gerber, Victorinox, or others, Thay are indeed handy. I've been carrying a Victorinox for near 20 years, and abuse it regularly. My wife carries a Leatherman Micro, or a smaller Victorinox, depending on which purse she needs that day. And my Victorinox drills holes pretty slowly too.

Running a close second is the little adjustable wrench which resides in my pants pocket. It'll open to 9/16" / 14m.

A discussion of multi-tools could quickly degrade to Ford v. Chevy........ :P

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Brain....

Once in a while as a child slave I would ...."express myself a bit too much((Gripe))".....I would say to grumps "why do I have to be the only one that goes to fetch ALL the tools? Grumps would grin and respond..."Well, Einstein (his nickname for me) you see I supply the most important"tool" called a brain....so that I can instruct you what to do with the tools ...once you fetch them"....(it was tough being"Einstein")

Drive on....(tool up your brain)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Hey Dollytrolley,

Great stories, thanks for sharing them! The one about the Lady with the fast drilling "tool" is hilarious :-)

So you knew the Leatherman engineer personally, and he gave you your own Leatherman Kick? Wow! Now I'm officially envious (assuming you aren't pulling my leg :-)).

Cheers,

--

Vall.

Getting ready to join the RV full-time lifestyle in 2017!

Hey Dollytrolley,

Great stories, thanks for sharing them! The one about the Lady with the fast drilling "tool" is hilarious :-)

So you knew the Leatherman engineer personally, and he gave you your own Leatherman Kick? Wow! Now I'm officially envious (assuming you aren't pulling my leg :-)).

Cheers,

--

Vall.

Vall,

Don't let your "Leatherman-envoeee" of my Leatherman keep you awake at night...it has some scratches and scuffs from too many years of use and abuse....but what the heck it's a Leatherman....

Maybe I have a few Leatherman-$tories but...most involve being in the wrong place at the wrong time and.....making do with the Leatherman instead of fetching the proper tool.....

Once I was herding a OLD British Aircraft around in a far away land and I had to do most of my own wrenching.....I had a Greek copilot and would read the maintenance manual and I did the grunt work....one day I was head first up inside the tail when the Greek started laughing and I ask what was in the book.....he says here it's time to go home.....I said don't be a clown just read me EXACTLY what the book says....so....he loudly says " firmly grasp the spanner wrench AND Run The NUT Home..."

Ya gota love the Brits and the way they use tools.

Drive on....(run the nut....home)

My favorite tool in the RV is my multimeter. It usually gets used on my friend's RV's more than mine though. I "fixed" all my electrical stuff when I rewired everything during my inverter install.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Now there's a man with his priorities in order.

I'm pretty partial to my Moto Guzzi Griso.

It would seem that you guys are confussing tools and toys . :D

My favorite 'toy' is my 1957 Simplex Automatic .

HPIM1734_zps6c07b436.jpg

My 'favored' tool is which tool I happen to need to get the job done , most efficiently . A lot of times it's an 18 volt driver . Sometimes I have to resort to something more powerful .

Goes around , comes around .

• 1 month later...

Great looking bike...

Also the cartridge on the air dryer. Is one of the most over looked items that never get changed on way to many trucks. Until there air dryer messes up, and they find out that they should have changed that air dryer cartridge. That can and does cost owners lost time and cash.

My best tool, Cellphone and search. That way I can see how to do the job and the best took to use.

event.png

Well Pete. Fell off my favored tool list. Still a good tool but tech at dealer two years ago must have over tightened cause I still can't get the cartridge off. Ordered this. It may become favored.

https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-25233-Heavy-Filter-Wrench/dp/B004FDQUMK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485996413&sr=8-1&keywords=oemtools+25233

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

When I was teaching AF folks foreign and domestic to shoot, and repairing them when they broke, I had a friend who was a well known 45 mechanic in the gun world, Bob Day. He built me one of his custom fitted Day Arms, match grade .22 conversion kit for my competitive Colt .45 model 70 in 1976. I saw a blue and clear full size screwdriver and clear screwdriver, with a changeable tip. He saw me looking at it and suggested I get one as a keeper. IT is magnetic tipped and I have used that Brownells screw driver all over the world since at home and at work. However since the advent of cell phones and tablets, and all sorts of electronics I use a new machined aluminum smaller magnetic mini and micro screwdriver that came with 30 tips in all the Torx, security, as well as Allen and standard tips. That was my favorite tool until about ten years ago. I started carrying a pocketknife as a Boy Scout at age 13.

My current favorite tool is the smallest. I started carrying a pocketknife as a Boy Scout at age 13. I had the original BSA knife but it was too big for daily carry. I then went to an all stainless steel Black Cat knife. and went through the Leatherman, and Gerber as they were USAF issue. The Leatherman early version would close up on the unwary making a deep cut when the pressure was wrong during cutting. The Gerber fixed that on the big plier model we got. I never really liked them because I always had a tool box/bag in the car/truck and house in addition to the shop.

Enter this beauty:

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Signature-Pocket-Knife/dp/B000FNFXRC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486004926&sr=8-2&keywords=victorinox+signature+pocket

It is the standard pocket knife but has an added slide out ball point pen that eliminates the need to go back to the car for a pen just to give a number or website. It writes well, the scissors work as well as anything I'd need away from home, and the blade and fingernail file blades with just one flat screwdriver at the end is fine. The tweezers have pulled many a metal or wood splinter from my flesh. I keep her razor sharp and haven't broken it yet. Mine is clear brown with a company logo on the side that faded away years ago. Amazon even sells refill for the ballpoint: https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Retractable-Pen-Refill-Blue/dp/B0017UXPOA/ref=pd_sim_468_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0017UXPOA&pd_rd_r=YV9EMVDF435BAS8SYFZR&pd_rd_w=gsp9R&pd_rd_wg=JKiJS&psc=1&refRID=YV9EMVDF435BAS8SYFZR

I have had this aluminum machined light for ten years clipped to the knife so I can see the backs of computers and whenever I needed to peer into a dark corner to be sure no venomous snakes or spiders were in my way. It is the Streamlight Nano. https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-73001-Miniature-Keychain-Flashlight/dp/B0011UIPIW/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&qid=1486016378&sr=8-39&keywords=aluminum+mini+flashlight

I bought a card of 50 or the button batteries it uses and have to change them every year or so. I don't buy watch batteries locally as I can get 100 here shipped for less than a single battery locally! https://www.amazon.com/TianQiu-1-55V-Alkaline-Button-Battery/dp/B00W79VPPQ/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1486019958&sr=8-10&keywords=LR41+batteries It simply twists on and off and has one very powerful LED for its size, not the weak ones like the larger multiple LED ones.

So today it is my flashlight and knife clipped together that I use the most when not in my shop or at my computer bench in my home office.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived