Trailer Mover XXL

bmzero

I have been wanting to build something like this for a while. I have to hook my trailer up to the F450 to get it backed into its parking spot beside the shop. That's the only reason I have the F450. This contraption would allow me to drop another vehicle from the fleet.

This is almost exactly what I wanted to build. I'm sure it's pricey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtfdoZwdptA

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Very nifty indeed.

For an alternative have you considered something like the dollies used for towing doubles?

Or use the concept of one of those swivel type trailers as a platform to install an hitch to (upgraded to handle the pin weight of course). The swivel trailer would take all the weight then use a tractor or other vehicle that you already have as a tug basically. What you already have should be more than sufficient for just moving around the yard as it will never be on the road.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

How about an electric pallet jack with a fabricated attachment? See them toting some pretty good loads around warehouses etc. I use a forklift with an old 5th wheel hitch head welded to some tubes for moving my 5ers around the yard. Much easier to manuever that way.

Marcel

Where I store my trailer, they park it with a fork lift which has a special attachment that slips on to the forks. One side has a ball, the other side is set up for 5'ers.

I have never priced a fork lift, but I am guessing (??) you could pick up a used forklift for less money than buying or building a specialized device. And, the fork lift could be used for other lifting, moving chores around the "man cave."

Where I store my trailer, they park it with a fork lift which has a special attachment that slips on to the forks. One side has a ball, the other side is set up for 5'ers.

I have never priced a fork lift, but I am guessing (??) you could pick up a used forklift for less money than buying or building a specialized device. And, the fork lift could be used for other lifting, moving chores around the "man cave."

Yeah but you've got to realize "homey (BMZero) don't play that game". If he can't design and build it, then it's not worth doing. :)

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Yeah but you've got to realize "homey (BMZero) don't play that game". If he can't design and build it, then it's not worth doing. :)

Ha yeah, taking the easy route sort of takes all of the fun out of it. "Easy" would be to just keep the F450. :P

All three = OK for flat, paved surface. Adding a qualifier - marginal for any "heavy" 5th wheel.

I had the middle (link) mover - briefly for a TT I had. It couldn't handle any obstacle (like a curb) - or a section

of grass I needed to cross.

Yeah - you can play the game, ramps, boards, etc.

The neighbor has it now - works fine for moving a utility trailer with quads from his backyard over flat, cement patio..

The original "pricey" style are out there......and they *ARE* pricey.

Example:

http://www.djproducts.com/product/powered-dolly/

For a trailer with weight above about 10K - the mover is in the $5K range..

Fork lifts are the norm (at dealers, etc.) - but lifting capability must be based on extreme end of forks - and

for any kind of uneven ground you (for sure) need pneumatic tires and/or a FL intended for rough surface/s.

Craigslist will have LOTS of various types and styles of fork lifts - with prices all over the map.

(Review & study specs for types/styles, capacities, etc. - before shopping).

When (if) Biz gets his mover in production - sign me up!

The ParkIt model is close to what I would build, but I would use four pneumatic tires with a slightly flexible neck so all four tires would maintain contact with the ground. It would also have a locking mechanism to hold the trailer connected to the mover.

Any Mack MC single-axle tractors for sale from USPS? They used to use them a LOT to pull trailers. Super-simplistic "tiny" cabover, with the driver/passenger sitting "on" the steer tires. Super-short wheelbase, should be exceptionally maneuverable.

This is what I use--with a forklift attachment in place of the bucket. I can pretty much guarantee any trailer...anywhere.... (as long as its not too heavily loaded) Handiest tractor for a loader ever built. Articulated 4x4 hydro.

post-9595-0-70050000-1475347476_thumb.jpg

I will say a full seed pallet (2500 lbs) makes the tires squat some. Which is something to think about when building a pneumatic tire mover.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

This is what I use--with a forklift attachment in place of the bucket. I can pretty much guarantee any trailer...anywhere.... (as long as its not too heavily loaded) Handiest tractor for a loader ever built. Articulated 4x4 hydro.

attachicon.gif9030.jpg

I will say a full seed pallet (2500 lbs) makes the tires squat some. Which is something to think about when building a pneumatic tire mover.

Handiest thing since pockets. I use mine a lot. However, you can't put a lot of weight on just one fork. I'm going to build a fixture to spread the load over both forks.

My fork lift gets stuck very easily, the tractor does not.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

My trailer mover is named Bertha, she is a stout old girl doesn't even shrug much under 8tons. Smokie the
other forklift in the picture is good for up to about 5K at 36". Forklifts are like small Semi tractors with
stinger hitches. Bertha has a fifth wheel plate attachment, Smokie has a ball and gooseneck attachment.

Only problem with Bertha is she don't travel light, RGN or high point load step deck to carry that svelte 36K frame.

Steve

post-1176-0-56309600-1475359873_thumb.jpg

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

My trailer mover is named Bertha, she is a stout old girl doesn't even shrug much under 8tons. Smokie the

other forklift in the picture is good for up to about 5K at 36". Forklifts are like small Semi tractors with

stinger hitches. Bertha has a fifth wheel plate attachment, Smokie has a ball and gooseneck attachment.

Only problem with Bertha is she don't travel light, RGN or high point load step deck to carry that svelte 36K frame.

Steve

Steve,

Does your wife complain about the tire tracks when you cut the corner and clip her flower bed while towing the trailer with Brutus.....

Once in a blue moon I use the old Cat 980 log-fork to move things but you gotta be feather-foot or you will need a new trailer....

https://www.google.com/search?q=980+Cat+Log+loader&client=ubuntu&hs=YaD&channel=fs&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjNgf-TgLvPAhVUzWMKHUMQA4wQsAQIHQ&biw=1212&bih=681#imgdii=A0ZdqgZSlxXOqM%3A%3BA0ZdqgZSlxXOqM%3A%3B8j8JuIuibTscHM%3A&imgrc=A0ZdqgZSlxXOqM%3A

Drive on..........(is that one of these little-girlie trucks wrapped around the tire.....again)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Na,

No flowers harmed,

Talking about overkill; I knew a airplane mechanic that had a 310, he came home with a tug from? It was an all wheel steer all wheel drive 8-71 powered behemoth with a cab up top and a compartment for the tow bar monkeys in the belly. It looked and sounded like a diesel locomotive when it started and took forever to air up. He used the tug to tow his tool box around!

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Archived