17.5 trailer tires

bigredhdt

I have Vision Mojaves 17X 6.75 rated at 4800 lbs.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I upgraded a past tri-axle race car trailer to 17.5" using Alcoa 17.5x6.75 non-hub piloted wheels and 215/75/17.5 and was very happy with this setup. Completely bulletproof compared to every 15" and 16" trailer tire I've ever owned. You will not regret the upgrade. I bought 7 wheels/tires and the spare never hit the ground again as long as I owned the trailer.

My Cooper RM170's were rated at 4805# and were rated for both 6" and 6.75" wheels. I used the Alcoa 17.5x6.75 part number 665401 which is rated for 3500# due to the non-hub piloted configuration, which was required in my case upgrading the wheels/tires on my existing 7000# dexter axles. This is the exact same wheel forging as used on the part number 661401 wheel, which is rated at 6050#, but can only be used on hub piloted applications, for example 8000# axles. The only difference between the two is the machining for center bore and lug holes, so both wheels have the same effective strength for the wheel itself, the limitation is the axle and hardware.

So what axles are you using? Standard 7000# (stud piloted) or 8000#+ (hub piloted)? With stud piloted wheels, the wheel rating does not matter as it is far in excess of the axle rating anyway. On a hub piloted axle, even the lower rated 4000# wheel is a match for the axle capacity, and the higher rated wheel is just comfort zone for those of us who like overkill.

In my opinion, I like the wider wheel, the tire seems to have a more "square" or "straight up" sidewall, so less bulge, and seems to skid easier for less sidewall distortion on sharp turns.

I have a buddy who is an Alcoa dealer if you don't have one lined up already.

I would suggest that you go to Mark Bruss's website. He did a whole write up on his research when he changed to 17.5". That is what I use to make my decision.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

If Alcoa, then this is probably the model you are seeking. You do need to be careful with the Alcoas and the weight rating. Others have purchased without confirming this and gotten the 3500 lbs rated model.

List of Alcoa 17.5 models

Hi-Spec Series 03 (mentioned above) is lower cost option. At the bottom you will see two different models.

(Used on Many RV Trailers)

I would call HisSpec to confirm which is hub piloted version but I think it is the HD version with a 6050 lbs carrying capacity.

I'm sure there are other models.

Most people use the 6.75" wide version.

Mark Bruss's Tire Change Information mentioned above.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Compared to some of the really big fivers you guys are hauling, my fiver is relatively light at 15K. I had been running Goodyear G670 tires on 7,000# axles. The tires still looked good as far as tread and sidewall checking but had reached the six year mark. The wheels were also beginning to show cosmetic damage from scratches, rocks, etc. I made a decision to replace wheels and tires with 215/75/17.5 tires earlier in the summer. Like others, I did a lot of shopping and comparing.

While at the Forest River Owner's Group (FROG) Rally in early October I met a representative from Lionshead Speciality Tire and Wheel based in Goshen, IN, as a rally vendor. The Cedar Creek division of Forest River abandoned the Goodyear G614's about two years ago and had been equipping their fivers with a G rated 16" tire from Lionshead Tire & Wheel branded WestLake - other Forest River trailer makes are beginning to follow suit. Yes, the tire is made in China by the second largest tire manufacturer there. But, what caught my attention was that there had been zero tire failures reported due to defects in materials and manufacturing since Cedar Creek dropped Goodyear. The failures that did occur were deemed due to overweight trailers and under inflation - both heat generators that kill tires.

After a lot of talking, checking to see that statements were factual, and "sleeping on it" I decided to order five 215/75/17.5 WestLake Commercial ST tires mounted on 6.75" Lynx rims. The rims are rated for 4850# and are piloted for 9/16" lugs on 7K axles.

Foregoing a USA built Goodyear G614 in favor of a Chinese tire took a lot of thought and convincing. Truth is, while "China Bombs" do still exist you can get a high quality tire from China if you stick with a large, reliable manufacturer and a here-to-stay servicing stateside distributor.

I don't need H rated tires - I just wanted them. Just like the disc brakes and shock absorbers I recently added. It's where the rubber meets the road that counts and a blow-out is no fun. Overkill? Yes, but I also pull with a HDT, not a LGT - another overkill?

Now, a word about speed ratings. I run Z speed rated tires (149 mph) on my Ferrari kit car, but I usually back off the throttle when I hit 140 mph. clone160.jpg The tires on the VOLVO are said to be rated at 65 mph, and the WestLake 17.5 tires are rated for 63 mph. The tire speed rating is all about heat build up in the tire, not centrifugal force of the spinning wheel. The speed rating is set for a tire not exceeding maximum load and inflated to full sidewall pressure. Drop air pressure and speed rating also drops - yes, that is true and tire manufacturer's don't tell you that in their literature. Things like the tire tread pattern, rubber additives, depth of tread, tire squirm, and of course outside/pavement temperature all are factors that determine the speed rating. Again, heat build-up and the tire's ability to dissipate excess heat is a key factor in determining a tire's speed rating. When you decipher all of this, speed ratings only tell you what the manufacturer has determined to be the maximum speed for keeping tire temperatures below the catastrophic failure point in the worst possible conditions. Speed ratings may be no more valuable than tire mileage ratings since there is no set standard for determining the number. So, depending on temperature, pressure and load any tire's speed rating is only an arbitrary guide. Even if you have a 75 mph rated tire, running it at 75 mph in the middle of the summer is not a good idea. Of course, running 75 mph pulling a fiver is never a good idea :( .

new%20tires%20and%20wheels.jpg

load%20range%201.jpg

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

• 4 weeks later...

anyone use these? Recommended by guy at Discount Tire, said he ran Hercules on his Pete. $195 each, 75 mph and 12k lbs load rating.

https://simpletire.com/hercules-235-75r17.5-59546-tires

46.pngHercules H-902 235/75R17.5

Size UTQG Max. Load Inflation Pressure Tread Depth Tire Weight Rim Width Range Sect. Width Tread Width Overall Diam 235/75R-17.5 N/A 12,621 lbs 125 psi 17/32nds 63 lbs 7" 9" N/A 31"

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

anyone use these? Recommended by guy at Discount Tire, said he ran Hercules on his Pete. $195 each, 75 mph and 12k lbs load rating.

Size UTQG Max. Load Inflation Pressure Tread Depth Tire Weight Rim Width Range Sect. Width Tread Width Overall Diam 235/75R-17.5 N/A 12,621 lbs 125 psi 17/32nds 63 lbs 7" 9" N/A 31"

I am running Hercules tires on my Kenworth and have been very happy with them.

There are some 75mph rated. I just put a pair of Continental HTL2 trailer tires on the front axle. Ours are 215/75R17.5/

Here is what I had in my notes as 75mph rated tires:

Continental HTL2 Eco Plus

Yokohama RY023

Cooper Roadmaster RM170

Sailun S637

Goodyear G114

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Trailer tires can be found in the following categories or types of tires: ST (Special Trailer), LT (Light Truck) or Commercial Truck/Bus.

There are currently tires in the market in each of these categories that have speed ratings greater than 65 mph.

The general answer is that you can determine the speed rating by looking in one of two locations.

1. The manufacturers website or catalog - the spec sheet for the model and size of the tire should include the speed rating.

2. The sidewall of the tire - the service description (if on the sidewall) The service description of the tire contains two pieces of information

(1) The Load index code. Load index is a three letter digit code that indicates the general ballpark of the maximum load carrying capacity of the tire for the given tire configuration (Single or Dual)

(2) The speed rating code. The Speed rating code is a letter code that indicates the maximum sustained speed of the tire.

For Truck/Bus tires (also called Commercial tires - RV Motor home tires included) and for ST tires, in the absence of a service description or speed rating code on the sidewall of a tire or in the manufacturers documentation then the speed rating for the tire is 65 mph. The majority of ST tires are still rated at 65 mph, but there are some recently distributed ST tires with ratings that exceed 65 mph.

Examples of speed rating codes that are more commonly seen on the types of tires in RV trailer use.

J - 62 mph

K - 68 mph

L - 75 mph

M - 81 mph

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

These are speed rated at 75. So are the Hankooks.

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Archived