Another Newb to the HDT arena

Sinbad5024

Hello Everyone,

I have been a reader and a lurker here for a while trying to get as much education as possible. We have just sold our CC Dually and have a truck that we are looking at. I have an inspection scheduled for Wednesday, already have the dyno results and if everything looks good, we will negotiate the final price. We are looking at a 2007 780, D12 and an auto.

We are a little nervous as this is a new adventure and the unknown makes it exciting as well. We will be pulling a fifth wheel and a gooseneck, but not at the same time. I do have a couple of questions. Those of you who do your own work, do you do general maintenance (oil, trans, lube, etc), how/where do you recycle your fluids? How big of a drainpan do you use? Is it worth it, or is Speedco the way to go on this? I used to be an auto tech for many years so the mechanical part doesn't scare me, just the size of the parts. Any help/advice you can give me would be much appreciated.

Thank you, Shane

2007 Volvo VNL 780 "Vlad"

2008 Dutchmen Grand Junction 34QRL

For my Volvo, there were people who did that work. I took it to the dealer once a year for the oil and filters change and to have the whole truck looked over.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

We also have a 2007 D12 with an Ultrashift.

Our trailer was a gooseneck (to haul 3 race cars) but we switched it over to 5th wheel to take advantage of the very nice 5th wheel ET hitch on the truck.

Before we had the volvo, we had a 1997 Freightliner FL60. I used an independent commercial truck repair shop to maintain it, as while I'm an ok car mechanic, I knew nothing about the truck specific systems. The same indy shop now maintains our Volvo. At my mileage, oil changes will be annual, and I like the idea of an experienced truck mechanic seeing it at least once a year to make sure it's safe.

The D12's a great engine, but be aware that the EGR valves are the weak spot. I was told when we bought our truck that both valves were replaced when the previous owner converted it to HDT/Hauler status. That was 3 years and roughly 15,000 miles ago. One EGR valve started failing shortly after we got it. Parts are over $1k each (and there are two valves) and at least a couple of hours labor. Based on the problematic history of these valves, and the success other Escapees have had with the OTR delete kit, we chose to go that way last week. We'll have our first long trip with the EGRs removed this weekend.

Good luck!

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Thank you everyone, I will have the services performed by the professionals. My only concern from working in shops for so many years, I can count on two hands how many people I trust to work on my stuff. I will see if I can find a reputable facility in the area.

JeffW,

I will change the GN over to a fifth wheel adapter. I am getting information from a couple of different hitch companies. We looked at medium duty trucks but the cost, and a few other things, outweighed the benefits. We have a 42 ft Chaparrel trailer that we haul the race car, golf cart and supplies in. We are not even close to max on the weight of the trailer.

I will keep an eye on the EGRS and if they give me any hassle, I will have the delete kit done. Thanks again for the information.

Our HDT is a 2001 VNL with a Cummins ISX. I change the filters and oil. It holds 10 gallons of oil of which 2 quarts are in the filter. It has a Fumoto drain valve which allows me to shut off the drain as needed. I use 2 five gallon buckets and then transfer the used oil into the containers the new oil was in after refilling. The local parts store takes the used oil. When we bought the truck I changed all of the fluids and recycled these at the parts store. I also grease the truck as necessary. I don't know if it saves much but it is a good chance to look everything over. I also built the bed and do light repairs in my shop.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Welcome Shane!

I too am an auto tech with motorhome, truck, and trailer background. Most of this stuff is much like it is on passenger vehicles, just a whole lot bigger. Of all of the mods and maintenance I have done, the oil change was the biggest PITA mess! Mine holds 9 gallons and I just don't have a drain pan that large that rolls on the ground........ Randy recommended the Fumoto drain valve and I can second that as I have one on the Dodge and it makes it real nice! I have waste oil pickup at the shop, but any oil change outfit or auto parts store around here takes used oil 5 gals or less per trip.

I can totally understand not wanting to farm out the work to a pit monkey at the T/A.......

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

When you full time where you going to do this?

By the time I retire, diesel is going to be $15gal and boondock camping will be illegal, so not worried about changing oil......We will have bigger problems!

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

On our trucks, tractors, and construction equipment, I do all services and have some very large tools (collected over time). Oil drain pan on rollers and sized for the largest single dump I am have. I have a friend that has a tractor shop and gets paid for used oil, so I take it there in drums and trade out drums. He make some bucks for the effort and saves me a ton of time.

As for possible smog maintenance, if it's DPF with EGR and EGR Cooler, it's not all that bad, just time consuming and somewhat a pain in ass. Great thing about HDT and MDT, hoods swing forward and plenty of room to work !! On the EGR and EGR Cooler, one thing I did was buy a couple units at a great price and swap them out. The pulled unit is serviced and cleaned and put the shelf for the next time.

It's a little scary the first time when the engine oil flows for a while but the second time is a piece of cake !

I don't want to mess with that much oil. O have Speedco change the oil. I grease it my self though. Gives me a chance to crawl around underneath and inspect things.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

A couple of small drawbacks I have is I don't have a drainpan that will hold that much and I don't have a place to dump the oil anymore. The parts stores here only take up to a gallon at a time. I used to work for an independent shop and he would take all of my oil and transmission fluid. Well, he sold his shop and I have no place to dispose of it. I am not afraid of getting my hands dirty, even though I am no longer an auto tech. I still have all of my tools and I think I have actually purchased more since I have been out of it than I did when I was in it. The mess,/splash/spill is the worst part. I purchased a drain pan that would hold 15 quarts for the dually and that would make a mess from time to time. Just can't help it once in a while. I will just chalk it up to another adventure in life.

Thank you everyone, I will have the services performed by the professionals. My only concern from working in shops for so many years, I can count on two hands how many people I trust to work on my stuff. I will see if I can find a reputable facility in the area.

JeffW,

I will change the GN over to a fifth wheel adapter. I am getting information from a couple of different hitch companies. We looked at medium duty trucks but the cost, and a few other things, outweighed the benefits. We have a 42 ft Chaparrel trailer that we haul the race car, golf cart and supplies in. We are not even close to max on the weight of the trailer.

I will keep an eye on the EGRS and if they give me any hassle, I will have the delete kit done. Thanks again for the information.

Hi Shane,

Welcome to the forum. If you get a chance look at the schedule for the different hdt rallies in the country. The rallies like to put on different seminars with subject going from trailer maintenance, to truck related material, to cooking, etc.. It is a great way to network with the different people on the forum.

Hope to see you down the road,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I don't want to mess with that much oil. O have Speedco change the oil. I grease it my self though. Gives me a chance to crawl around underneath and inspect things.

x2

I have the space to do the work myself but the cost difference is minimal. Then add in the time it takes to get everything together and then dispose of the waste, it just makes more sense to use somebody else. Typically use Speedco for convince. Don't even have to disconnect the trailer. In/Out in no time and they encourage you to stay and watch and make sure the work is completed to your satisfaction.

I do also have a gooseneck trailer that I pull on occasion. I too converted it from ball to kingpin, it just makes life easier.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Welcome. We have been full timing for 7 years and we have it done by the pros. When you get the truck be sure to come to a rally (even if you don't have one come to the rally anyway. LOTS of information). You will enjoy this group.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Hi Shane,

Welcome to the forum. If you get a chance look at the schedule for the different hdt rallies in the country. The rallies like to put on different seminars with subject going from trailer maintenance, to truck related material, to cooking, etc.. It is a great way to network with the different people on the forum.

Hope to see you down the road,

Al

Thank you Al.

I would love to attend the Rally in KS. I am trying to talk the wife into going, maybe, maybe not. Also depends as our son, who is a senior this year, will be in school. I am hoping that all turns out well with the inspection and we finalize a deal in the near future. My family is on me to get to the racetrack and the campgrounds. We purchased our RV in November, pulled it home and haven't even got it setup completely. Had issues with my dually that put things back a month and a half and was quite a costly experience.

I will probably do the Speedco thing, as others have mentioned, convenience is a big thing there. I will probably end up doing it once a year as we will not be putting that many miles on it to start.

I'm a farmer. I got the shop, the tools, the buckets....even the waste oil container. And I take my HDTs in to the local Volvo truck shop for oil changes. Why? Well, by the time I buy the oil and filters, its the same $$$ to let them do it, and do an inspection at the same time. They have caught a number of small things I would have overlooked. To me, its piece of mind knowing that somebody who works on these units every day is looking over the rig, even if they are not a Master mechanic.

My suggestion is to go talk to a reputable HDT dealer/service center in your area. Don't use the "quicky oil change only" places. Let them get to know your truck and your service usage.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

Welcome. We have been full timing for 7 years and we have it done by the pros. When you get the truck be sure to come to a rally (even if you don't have one come to the rally anyway. LOTS of information). You will enjoy this group.

Brad

Thanks Brad. I am hoping to go to the KS Rally. I have enjoyed this group before I joined. A lot of information here. Learned quite a bit just from reading. Learned that a MDT will not suffice for our applications.

Archived