Let me tell you about my day

Brad & Jacolyn

We were driving along today minding our own business and just having a grand ole time about 30 miles south of Myrtle Beach SC. when a couple of bikers went by and waved at the rig. Jacolyn pulled over and I could see a little smoke on the passenger side. When I got back there I discovered and a bearing pack in the rear wheel and failed and one of our wheels and departed by way of the back of the living room slide and the rear cap of the rig. We were able the retrieve the wheel and tire about a 1/2 mile back and taped up some of the damage. I pumped up the remaining tire to max pressure and started limping toward Camping World in Myrtle Beach. An hour later we pulled in and they started an estimate to get it rolling again. I have not been contacted yet by the adjuster but I except that tomorrow. We have maintained our sense of humor. We are safe, no one was hurt, we get the wheel back and we are staying in Myrtle beach until it is repaired.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

TPMS will show blank when it does its refresh but no press loss no immediate alarm.

They transmit a new press signal about every 2 min. It's good for a leak. It does transmit immediate signal in case of total press loss like a blowout.

Glad no fire Brad. Good no one hit hr with the wheel. Bet those bikers wee not impressed ?

Good luck on repairs.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Sorry to hear that Brad. Hopefully the repairs go smoothly.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

TPMS never sounded because there was no pressure loss. I would have thought that there would have been a loss of signal alarm when I got 1/2 mile away. Now we wait.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

I lost a tire/wheel on the way to Vegas last year. Never to be found. Ironically, the tire warranty I bought with the trailer wouldn't cover it because I couldn't prove it.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Brad glad you were able to recover the wheel and no on was injured when it came off. Good thing the bikers gave you some notice. Hope all goes well from here.

2011 CAN-AM Spyder Rt SE5, 2010 Alpine 5th wheel, 1998 Vovlo VNL610

Hopefully 2 years 6 month till full time retirement.

Stories like this put in perspective the bad week we're having so far after we accidentally backed our RV bike rack into a utility steel cable (stupid, we realize). I hope Camping World treats you all well... good luck. Glad to hear y'all are keeping an upbeat mentality. That isn't easy to do when this is your livelihood.

YoungFulltimers.com is dedicated to informing non-retired RVers who live on the road. This news-focused online publication should appeal to fulltimers of all ages.

Brad, what type of bearings are you running ? I am sorry to hear of your problem but i applaud your positive attitude. Do you know if the spindle or hub is damaged beyond repair ? It sounds like you guys are making the best of it. Enjoy your unplanned stop and be safe. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Believe it is the Neverlubes.(sealed)

Howdy Brad

Sorry to hear you are having issues & applaud your coping skills.

If indeed the bearing is a Nevr'Lube, how many lugs 6 or 8?

If 6 they would be the 42mm bearing and the wheels need to be zero offset. Our manufacturer was installing 10mm offset rims and it lead to huge issues. Once I upgraded to zero offset and replaced all the bearings there were no more issues. We experienced 6 failures in one trip out west to send us to Ohio for the new rims

If you have the 8 lug axles then all should be good once repaired & the others are checked for play.

Good Luck!

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

TPMS never sounded because there was no pressure loss. I would have thought that there would have been a loss of signal alarm when I got 1/2 mile away. Now we wait.

Brad

I have a TST system. I drive away from my trailer every day and never get an alarm from signal loss, don't think you're supposed to. The alarm should sound upon rapid loss of pressure, heat rise above a preset point, gradual loss of pressure below a preset point, pressure above a preset point, or low battery.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

COPY CAT!!!!

First you copy by blowing up your idler on the fan belt 2 weeks ago, I did mine during the ECR. Now the trailer wheel, I did the same thing last summer. Why you trying to be like me???

Seriously, glad you are both ok. Also think about replacing the tire left behind. I had to do about 25 miles on mine and I did not exceed 20mph trying to keep the heat down in/on the tire. Still in the end wound up being too much weight for the single tire and it started showing signs of coming apart. Luckily I saw it before it actually did come apart.

Hope you are back on the road quickly.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

I have a TST system. I drive away from my trailer every day and never get an alarm from signal loss, don't think you're supposed to. The alarm should sound upon rapid loss of pressure, heat rise above a preset point, gradual loss of pressure below a preset point, pressure above a preset point, or low battery.

I have a Pressure Pro and it beeps constantly on a signal loss. Takes it a few to cycle and notice but it will let you know.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

The adjuster was just here and took videos of the BOO BOOs. I told camping world to order the parts and not wait for the final approval from the insurance company. I figured we need the parts no matter who pays for them. I found the invoice for the wheels and tires so they know exactly what to order and where.

Rickw Please let us know what you are going to break next so we can get it repaired before we are on the road. Fortunately it is on the light side of the trailer and I can only hope it is not damaged. What will be will be. Did you have 17.5" tires?

Charlie the bearing are Never lubes. The entire axle assembly will have to be replaced so I imagine it will come complete with all the parts. The spindle was damaged along with the missing bearings, rotor, broken hub etc. I also told them to order 2 more new bearing packs so everything gets replaced.

SCclockdoc we have 8 lug wheels.

We learned when we started full timing that the first thing to pack is your sense of humor. We need it this week. But all is well and now we wait.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Brad,

I have Neverlubes so for my info, did you lose a spindle nut and washer that allowed the separation? My limited mechanical knowledge doesn't let me see how the hub and wheel could let loose.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Brad, glad things turned out as they did. It could have been a lot worse. If you come to the Rally I'll share with you some of my wheel breakdown stories. I've lost 3 wheels/tires in one day...... it was not a good day.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack that sounds like a VERY bad day.

MrSeas the spindle nut is the only thing that DID NOT come of the axle. The bearing came apart and everything went right off the end of the axle (after it beat the living #$%&^% out of everything else on the way off). They say I need an entire new axle assembly because the splindle is damaged. Plus everything that was on the end of the axle except some brake brackets are gone. The wheel is ruined and the tire scuffed up pretty good. Never did find the rotor but it was probably ruined anyway.

Sure glad I got the rear brakes on the HDT done in Hutch last year because that was all the brakes I had left.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Brad,

Not being glib but sounds like an opportunity for one of David Dixon's "projects" that could sense excessive heat build up or something that could preempt a separation using his cheap components.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Hmmm.... wonder what a Moryde IS replacement difference would be? One half of the removal is done.

X 2, with the front of the truck feeling like it is falling off when I hit a pothole or bridges access, at least the trailer isn't taking a pounding as well.

Rickw Please let us know what you are going to break next so we can get it repaired before we are on the road. Fortunately it is on the light side of the trailer and I can only hope it is not damaged. What will be will be. Did you have 17.5" tires?

Brad

Hopefully you are still copying, so far no problems this trip for us (except the weather). I still have 16" but I am running "G" rating tires.

As for future repairs/failures, I think it is time for you to lead. It would be nice to fix prior to being on the road ....

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Howdy Brad,

Glad to hear you folks are OK, that's an experience I sincerely hope NOT to have.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived