Bed width

GlennWest

My truck bed will likely be built next week. Hitch being shipped out first of week according to Henry. I had originally told builder to make as wide as legal. Since then I have noticed some here are 101-102" wide. I will be hauling our Smart on deck. To go shorter would be much simpler. Your suggestions.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Not an expert but isn't the max width 102". Removable or retractable stuff such as ladders, mirrors, etc are not considered part of the 102"

Yes exactly ?

And I would absolutely make it 102''

Most trailers are also that wide,and it becomes a lot easier to line up the bed with the trailer sides when hooking up your trailer.

For the bed width 102" is the max.I recommend that the bed be 100 and that the extra two inches be wheel flares - as Rocky described.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Also consider if you add any tie down items that may protrude beyond the edge of the bed. (My ratchet points are)

Going with a bit less than 102 would allow for a extra couple inches if you need.

My bed is 98" and is fine for current Smart. I would even go to 100 as Jack said.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

That would be a lot of waste. One could do it but wastefull

You're correct. Not knowing the measurements but only estimating there would be 2-5'X10' sheets for a 100" wide bed, the excess is 2-20"x60" pieces. There is the Drom box & each side of the hitch bedding still to build. Like I said just an estimation. Also, if I'm doing the welding I'll need a lot more excess. ;)

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Our bed is 102" wide. We ran 2 steel plates front to back and plan to put aluminium plate over storage boxes down the middle. We have the alum plate but haven't installed it yet as I do have the storage boxes built.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Wouldn't say that. My 3500 dually ride was terrible with 6k pin. Not much other than an HDT for this. I weld and material waste is a sore spot with me. Don't take me personal

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glenn,

Our bed was built 101" wide. 102" is max and we did not want to take a chance that something would sneak out a bit and put us over the 102".

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Our Herrin bed is 101" wide plus 1" fenders both sides. Florida statute:

316.515 Maximum width, height, length.

(1) WIDTH LIMITATION.The total outside width of any vehicle or the load thereon may not exceed 102 inches, exclusive of safety devices determined by the department to be necessary for the safe and efficient operation of motor vehicles. The use of public roads that do not have at least one through lane of 12 feet or more in width in each direction, and the use of public roads deemed unsafe for wider vehicles on the basis of safety and engineering analyses, by vehicles exceeding 96 inches in width may be restricted by the Department of Transportation or by local officials for streets and roads under their respective jurisdictions. The total outside width of a noncommercial travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, or private motor coach as defined in s. 320.01 may be more than 102 inches if:
(a) The excess width is attributable to appurtenances that do not extend beyond the exterior rearview mirrors installed on the motor home by the manufacturer or the exterior rearview mirrors of the tow vehicle; and
(The exterior rearview mirrors only extend the distance necessary to provide the appropriate field of view for the vehicle before the appurtenances are attached.

So I guess my fenders are "appurtenances".

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Glenn,

Depends on the thickness of the plate. 1/4" is easy to find in 108" width which makes is easy to square things up with very little waste. For 3/16", try hunting up a supplier that carries 7 gauge plate as you can sometimes find it in 108" width as well.

David

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

If you have your plates laser cut, a lot of times the laser shop will give you some credit for the drops. If you're building yourself, just decide if not having a seam in the middle of your bed is worth the extra money. If you end up Line-X coating the bed surface, it would hide a finished seam anyway. Good thing you know a good welder. ;-)

I build my kits at 101". That gives an extra 1/2" on either side for things like side markers, etc.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

bmzerq, Do you build kit for sell? I've noticed you talk a lot about getting parts laser cut when you are working on a project. It sure makes for a great looking job when you are finished. Thanks, Pat

The Old Sailor

I'm working toward that, but the bed "system" has proven to be fairly difficult to turn into a product. Some aspects of the components are hard to produce and not all shops are capable. I'm working with a couple of promising suppliers right now and hope to have a production kit installed on a customer truck prior to the ECR.

Laser or waterjet is the way to go for sure. In the last 5 years or so, this process has become attainable for even the little guy like me. Most of the cutting shops are willing to work-in small one-off jobs when they have down time. A few years ago, that wasn't possible unless you had a large run. I think the market saturation is fairly high in some places. When I was building the RZR in CA, there were probably 6 laser shops in a mile radius. They would literally cut parts and deliver them to me 20 minutes after sending the cut files. In central AL, the saturation is nowhere near that high. I have tried a couple of cutters for some of the components and they just weren't able to hold the tolerances I want on the parts. That's why it's taking longer to develop this system than I hoped it would.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Archived