Smart Cars and Steep Grades

SuiteSuccess

Has anyone pulled any significant grades (8-10%) with a Smart and if so did it struggle?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I drove Needles Highway in South Dakota with no issues. Those pigtail bridges were a hoot.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

We have a std gas model and yes it's bogs down a bit. But it makes it. I found if you hold it in 4 and keep the RPMs up your better.

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

https://goo.gl/photos/osJReaJfX37bTTi39

We drove this setup on a 2000-mile round trip from WA to CA and back over the "hill" between Oregon and California, and it worked it pretty hard. If I looked ahead and planned my uphills like a semi (run and gun it on the downhill part) it did okay. If it got slowed down going uphill it was just fall in behind the trucks and hum along in 3rd or 4th.

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

Hi Carl,

I have found that when we get into the hills the Smart will want to shift up and down so I switch to manual and it likes the hills in 4th much better.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Teton Pass, west of Jackson Hole, WY has 10% grades on both sides; 3 miles on the west and 5.5miles on the east. We have been both ways on that. Coming down was much more of a challenge due to the lack of any significant engine braking. If you have a tach, watch it. If you don't, be extra conservative to keep your RPMs down cause it will quickly get you into overrevs on those long downhills.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

I drove Needles Highway in South Dakota with no issues. Those pigtail bridges were a hoot.

That wasn't Needles. That was Iron Mountain Road. http://www.visitrapidcity.com/things-to-do/black-hills-cruising/iron-mountain-road-pigtail-bridges#.VfrVzvlViko

Rode both of them last month. You're right about the pigtails. IMO, Iron Mtn is head and shoulders better than 129 in NC.

Howdy!

We driven our Smart up and down some very steep grades the steepest I've ever sceen was in Newfoundland/Labrador which had a sign posted 17% grade and the Smart had no problems with it.

"Hapy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Likely has a lot to do with how much weight is in smart. Now don't take that wrong, lol

Now Glen, I'm a petite 6'4" and 235 lbs so that shouldn't be a factor should it? :)

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

It's not just grade, but elevation that will slow you down in a non-turbo smart. Probably 17% grades in Newfoundland and Labrador were not at nosebleed elevation.

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

A stock Hayabusa motor has around 190 hp at the crank without the turbo. Stock motor w/ 7# of boost oughta be good for 250+.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

We have both a diesel CDI smart and an Electric. Both are fine in the hills. With the CDI its a matter of selecting the right gear. With the electric its just how far you push your foot into it. The electric is obviously quicker off the line. No gears to worry about in the Electric. The name ED still bugs me a bit though. Don't think the Germans thought that one thru. :) The Green one is the 450 CDI. 10 years old now. The white one is a 451 2015.

img_3384.jpg

21230577955_8035498ffa_z.jpg

I'm with Brad! Shift to manual mode and have some fun! (blow out the cobwebs - so to speak)

OK, Rocky, I think you are very optimistic here. How do you "blow out the cobwebs" on a car as under-powered as a smart? I love my smart, as you know, but it does not have an excess of power. Even cruising the I70 KS "hills" slows it down to 55 from 75mph.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Not really in a hilly area at the moment, Olathe, KS, but will try and test it as soon as possible. The auto gearing on the smart is really set for fuel mileage, so it tends to downshift late into the higher (so called) torque range. I will usually "take over" at that moment and shift it one more gear down, staying in the high end.

You're right, unless you're Phil's smart, there is not a whole lot of power felt or heard.

Anyone give me a road close by to test this on???

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Archived