No problems in California on our Our West Coast trip

Brad & Jacolyn

Good Morning everyone,

I'll start this by saying that everything I'm about to say is my own opinion (which I hold in high regard although others may not. They are wrong.).

As some of you already know we left TX. in May heading for FL. by way of OR. The main reason I'm writing this is to report my experiences to the people that don't want to go to CA because of the evil police enforcing the CA. laws and my observations. We traveled a large part of the length of the state twice and did not have a particle of trouble. We were passed multiple times by CHP and other Leo's and they never gave us a second look. We started out around JOJOBA hills Escapees Co-op and then up to Sparks, NV for the WCR. Then we dropped back down through Redwood country and over to the coast. Then up the OR. coast and finally back down through CA. and back to JOJOBA. We are now in AZ. I even bought fuel in northern CA. at $2.47.

I made the following observations about CA.

1) They want you to drive 55 if you are towing. Lots of signs. Talked to a guy with a class A and they will pull you over for that. Slow down and enjoy the scenery.

2) Don't do stupid things. Anything that draws UNNECESSARY attention to yourself is your own fault. These guys have a tough enough job without us giving them a reason to talk to us. I would not do their jobs out on those roads on a bet.

3) If you get pulled over Smile and say yes Sir and no Sir and be polite. You do not need to upset them with a loose mouth.

Like I said earlier this is all just my own opinions. We had a great time and found the Leo's nothing but helpful and friendly. Don't let rumors stop you from going and having a great time. You may even get to meet some of the West Coast HDTers. We will not hesitate to go back.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Like Brad, no problems here in the past, and I will again head out there next spring.

"3) If you get pulled over Smile and say yes Sir and no Sir and be polite. You do not need to upset them with a loose mouth."

So Brad, did you get pulled over????

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Brad

Thank you for posting that. Those of us that are CA Natives can use the reinforcement that driving hear is no big deal.

I've been driving here commercially for 35 years and have not had a ticket in over 25 years.

I've been using my HDT for pulling me RV or boat since 2005.

Only once in that time when towing my Boat did a CHP question my motorhome plate while getting fuel.

Next time you come through southern California send me a PM love to meet up.

Charlie

I had a couple questions a few years back concerning double towing, length, etc in CA. I emailed CHP. Less than a day later I received a phone call from a CHP officer who answered my questions, reinforced to obey towing speed limits and encouraged us to come visit CA. He gave me his work mobile number to call him if needed if I had any more questions. Totally professional. Met CHP's motor officers while out riding and the chat soon turns to our bikes... ?

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Our experience in Sep 2014 was the same. Only interface was when a CHP pulled up beside us and, on his loud speaker, said one of the wheel straps of the Smart was off. I gave him a thumbs up and headed toward the exit. He went merrily on his way.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

I will add to what Brad wrote. Although we live in Southern Nevada, we routinely go into Southern California and have towed our Toy Hauler to a couple of the popular Sand Dune areas and down to San Diego and the Orange County area on several occasions, with no problems whatsoever.

As a disclaimer I should add that this was towing with an F-350 Dually, however, if you ever visit any of the Desert Enthusiast or Sand Dune forums you will read all these horror stories where people are being targeted by police or commercial truck enforcement CHP because of the size of their rigs, being stopped and checked to see if they have the proper class of license or being checked for overweight.

My personal thought on this is that although California has some bizarre emission standards, I think the average LEO is smart enough to weed out people who may be trying to pull a fast one and to leave the rest alone. For example, if they are behind you or pass you in traffic, they have the tools right there to check your registration and since most private vehicles are registered to the people who own them, run the registered owner and see what their license class comes back as. If the truck is registered to a corporation or a trust, that may or may not be an indicator to bring about more checking, depending on what they see as they drive behind you or by you.

Having worked in law enforcement for a Sheriff's Office for several years, I have never bought into the notion that any of the county or state level law enforcement agencies are just out to make money by ticketing people. In most states, the majority of the money obtained from citations, goes to the State General fund, not to the agency that wrote the ticket. The agency gets a small part, but that usually does not cover the costs that they have, like overtime pay and administrative costs.

Now, does that mean that the odds of getting a ticket are slim, not at all. In fact, if you get pulled over by a State Trooper or a motorcycle officer, the odds are that you will get a ticket, IF, they are pulling you over for a moving violation, because traffic enforcement is their primary job. Just like weights ,measures and commercial vehicle operations is the primary job for Truck Enforcemant officers.

In all of the posts that I have read on this and other forums where people shared their personal horror story, there seemed to be a common thread where some part of their version of the story included the fact that they were either trying to skirt a law or they were doing something that would lead any reasonable person to question their activities.

Just Sayin.....

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

I will echo Brad's comments about traveling in California in a HDT. We have been in/out several times in the past 5 years and have driven the length twice.

We are still tandem (So is HERO Maker). Again no problems. Have even driven bobtail.

Good Morning everyone,
I'll start this by saying that everything I'm about to say is my own opinion (which I hold in high regard although others may not. They are wrong.).

Brad - we can discuss the value of your opinion at the Rally ..... but if Phil plays hooky and not attend we can pick on him instead .....

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

There are some unique considerations for some folk but, California welcomes millions of visitors a year. The average Californian is neither a nut job or space cadet, we want you to have a positive experience so you will come back and spend more money! Just don't get any ideas about staying!!!

Travel and tourism is a huge part of the economy why would we make it hard on visitors?

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

I have also been through CA several times without an issue, in the past. HOWEVER, I also know a number of people that have had issues - two of those were towing doubles. Because of my length I would probably stay out of CA. In my opinion I'm much more likely to be stopped there. But that is just my opinion. I'll take the MH to CA instead.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Steve, I agree since I was formerly from the SFO Bay area, funny how opinionated folks in the rest of the country are more than willing (take for granted) to avail themselves of all this technology pioneered by the brightest engineers and entrepreneurs that tend to congregate in California yet those same folks are quick to come up with negative adjectives with respect to the wonderful left coast. It is a beautiful fun and exciting place to be.

.... Trying to remember why I am stuck in Missouri again

I have also been through CA several times without an issue, in the past. HOWEVER, I also know a number of people that have had issues - two of those were towing doubles. Because of my length I would probably stay out of CA. In my opinion I'm much more likely to be stopped there. But that is just my opinion. I'll take the MH to CA instead.

I can appreciate where you would be concerned, though we have a friend who has a custom made Weekend Warrior that is 56 feet long and he live in Orange County and spends nearly every weekend either pulling to the dunes or the beach and has never had a problem. One interesting point though, he intentionally stays within three miles of the STAA routes. And Yes, I realize the applicability of STAA routes to RV's.......Just Sayin

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist1/d1projects/staa.htm

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Rick I look forward to seeing you at the rally and we can have a good time bashing Phil.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Here is another bit of information from a long time Californian.

As stated above, 55mph is the trailer tow speed. I set cruise at 59-60mph and I have never been stopped. Go over 60mph and I am guessing you will get a ticket. I have watched many RV'ers (towing something) pass me, giving me the single finger salute as they pass me. I guess I was going too slow for them. I have seen many of them on the side of the road having a chat with the local CHP.

Years ago, one of my lead footed buddies had a radar detector and, he knew how to use it well. However, I think that radar detectors are illegal in California.

Even though you may be registered as a motorhome, when descending the many steep mountain roads (El Cajon, Grapevine, etc) I suggest that you abide by the posted MAXIMUM TRUCK SPEED SIGNS (usually 35 mph or 45 mph). These hills are heavily patrolled by the CHP's and they will pull you over. Ask me how I know. :)

When I descend these hills, I pull into the TRUCKS ONLY lane and set the jake to "cruise" at the posted speed limit. Much better than spending 30 minutes on the side of the road politely explaining to the CHP why the 45mph speed does not apply to me. Having descending many hills, I actually prefer the slower descent speed. We do have heavy rigs.

About a year ago, when I was entering California, I pulled into the "NON COMMERCIAL" lane, at the border crossing. The officer asked me if I was a transporter. I was thinking, but did not ask, transporter of drugs? Transporter of Illegals? So, I simply said I do not know what a transporter is. He then asked me who is the truck and trailer registered to? I said me. And, he said OK, go ahead.

As I was driving away, I was wondering if his transporter question had something to do with the new diesel smog law. Or, was he asking me if I was hauling other people's RV for a fee?

My rig is 65 feet long.

Jack we were there for 2 months last summer without problems, and you have seen how long we are. We are going back for 4 months starting in December. I don't expect any problems.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Living in CA my whole life, obviously I drive here a lot. 2,500 miles in the Pete in the past 2 months alone passing the scales at least a dozen times and even more officers....not a single look at us. 57-59 mph max while towing.

If you operate clean and safe, you won't have a problem.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Jack.

Did you guys buy the motorhome yet?? I remember you thought you were going to last we spoke !!!

See you soon

JC

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

We've been through CA multiple time without issues. Last time at the entrance I was asked if I was transporting personal property, I replied "yes sir" and the officer said "have a good day".

1993 Freightliner 3406C Cat, 400 HP, 9 speed, singled long, 3.91 ratio, 264" wheel base, 12' flat deck with dove tail

1997 F350 dually, 4wd conversion, intercooler, 3 inch intakes, WW2 compressor wheel, bellowed up-pipes,

2007 Ragen Toyhauler

4a8a58ec-58d7-48af-b0d7-9dd42cf5b43a_zps

Jack.

Did you guys buy the motorhome yet?? I remember you thought you were going to last we spoke !!!

See you soon

JC

Not yet. I tried to order it, but Winnebago is not publishing pictures of their new interiors (yet) so to me it is impossible to order a new unit without seeing the interior decor. They don't see it as a problem; they are not used to people "ordering", but buying off the lot.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Not yet. I tried to order it, but Winnebago is not publishing pictures of their new interiors (yet) so to me it is impossible to order a new unit without seeing the interior decor. They don't see it as a problem; they are not used to people "ordering", but buying off the lot.

Jack I don't understand RV dealers.

When we custom ordered are trailer. I was told they no longer would be making the 2006 models.

And by the time they started mine I would have to get a 2007 for an extra $3500.

Said OK can you tell me what is on the 2007 model costing an extra $3500?

The answer was no that's top-secret we don't want to competition to know before it comes out what we're doing but you will love it everybody does.

I finally gave in and okayed for the 2007.

Then got a phone call two weeks later stating they would be making one more run of 2006 and I could have that. I said OK and you're going to refund me my $3500 correct?

Took a lot of arguing but finally got my $3500 back.

Turned out only difference was upgraded stereo system and convection oven none of which I cared about.

I have been towing my rig with an HDT in CA for three years now with no issues. I have never stopped at a scale and have been passed by many CHP officers, again with no issues. When going through a port of entry, I have been asked whether I own my rig or if I am transporting the trailer. I always just smile and say it is all mine. I always get waved through with no issues. I travel at around 60 mph (which is speeding in CA), but also never get a second look (even when I know the CHP is working radar). Although this part is the only part I make no guarantees about. As long as I am not passing a bunch of truckers, I feel confident I won't be singled out.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Archived