West Coast Rally in Sparks NV

MrSeas

I am going to try to make it.... a longshot so no point booking a spot. Are there any pull thru's available...67' long? I may need a hand. My right mitt will still be in a cast of some sort from surgery on the 1st June. So handling, taking on fuel and hooking up will be a challenge. Rig could possibly be brought down early then fly back to Calgary for assessment and stitch removal then fly back. Figured afterward, I'd have a look at the red rock formations in Utah. Then of to the Midwest and see some tractor pulls.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to try to make it.... a longshot so no point booking a spot. Are there any pull thru's available...67' long? I may need a hand. My right mitt will still be in a cast of some sort from surgery on the 1st June. So handling, taking on fuel and hooking up will be a challenge. Rig could possibly be brought down early then fly back to Calgary for assessment and stitch removal then fly back. Figured afterward, I'd have a look at the red rock formations in Utah. Then of to the Midwest and see some tractor pulls.

Howdy Roger,

My rig is also 67 feet long, I have never been to this camp ground but when I called and talked to the folks who run it I explained what I was driving-towing and would be camping in and they assured me that there was plenty of maneuvering room within the camp ground and that the sites were long enough to accommodate my truck and trailer. I guess I'll find out when I get there.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I'll look up the park on the computer and see layout etc. I'd need to plan my route in so as not to conflict with an adjacent vehicle in their pad or tree, pole etc. If possible driving straight in would be the best but if backing in was the option backing in and being able to see the drivers side, passengers side would be the blind side...if you understand.

First stop will be Step Up in Eugene, they are making and installing some of those collapsible steps.

Note to self, get Jacks backup camera specs.

If I mess up, it better not wind up on U Tube.

Hope you can make it!

Don't worry there should be lots of "help" available!

All of our spots should be together and are all pull-thru's with about 70' length. I made it very clear to the park when I was setting up the Rally

what kind of rigs we had and what they should expect. I was "assured" there would be ample room. I hope I didn't just put my foot in my mouth!

The park is very busy in June so getting a spot last minute may not be possible. We have until May 15 to add spots to the group. I think there might be a few more "on the fence" about making plans due to "life" conflicts.

I'll look up the park on the computer and see layout etc. I'd need to plan my route in so as not to conflict with an adjacent vehicle in their pad or tree, pole etc. If possible driving straight in would be the best but if backing in was the option backing in and being able to see the drivers side, passengers side would be the blind side...if you understand.First stop will be Step Up in Eugene, they are making and installing some of those collapsible steps.Note to self, get Jacks backup camera specs.If I mess up, it better not wind up on U Tube.

Hopefully you can make it. The more the merrier. And don't worry, there will be plenty of help if needed. ;)

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Should I book a spot, pay and hope to get there? If things don't work out, suck it up and take the hit? Do I lose a deposit of some kind or full payment?

849 miles from Vancouver to Eugene then Sparks. 2- 100 gallon tanks, should be OK for fuel to get there without having to tank up.

Figuring low at 8 mpg.

with everything going on that week in reno/sparks , you probably want to book a spot... call the rv park and ask about cancellation policy.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

That is being dealt with.

Your being there is more incentive for me to make it. I have some questions for you. When RDO took the truck back, they printed out a list of all the computer info. Having moved twice, that has gone missing.

- Is it possible to retrieve that info now.

- Also are you able to print out what the current settings are?

- When HDT's are converted to pulling recreational trailers like mine, are there standard setting changes made? Something like an update pack from Google? Or is everyone different and if so, why?

- Would you have time to explain what settings should be changed and why? Some of my issues may be OO, operator error.

- Can some of the new updates the newer trucks have be added to mine? Hill hold for instance.

Thanks

We will be planning to attend next year. We have a two week cruise planned for November and DW is majorly limited on time off. And my GF is busy that week.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Your being there is more incentive for me to make it. I have some questions for you. When RDO took the truck back, they printed out a list of all the computer info. Having moved twice, that has gone missing.

- When HDT's are converted to pulling recreational trailers like mine, are there standard setting changes made? Something like an update pack from Google? Or is everyone different and if so, why?

- Would you have time to explain what settings should be changed and why? Some of my issues may be OO, operator error.

- Can some of the new updates the newer trucks have be added to mine? Hill hold for instance.

Thanks

Roger,

Lou10 has offered to "hook up" his laptop loaded with various software packages to "look" at our settings. Don't know if he has the "Volvo" VCADS

Software to retrieve the Volvo manufacturers settings but if he does we hope to be able to print you a hard copy. Might be a good idea to also bring a USB thumb drive to copy the settings electronically. Modifying of the truck's or engine's settings is usually up to each owner and can get a bit tricky if you don't understand what the changes will do to your vehicle.

Scott

Roger,

Lou10 has offered to "hook up" his laptop loaded with various software packages to "look" at our settings. Don't know if he has the "Volvo" VCADS

Software to retrieve the Volvo manufacturers settings but if he does we hope to be able to print you a hard copy. Might be a good idea to also bring a USB thumb drive to copy the settings electronically. Modifying of the truck's or engine's settings is usually up to each owner and can get a bit tricky if you don't understand what the changes will do to your vehicle.

Scott

i DO have Volvo VCADS Pro. and every truck is spec'd to whoever ordered it NEW which means settings are NEVER the same (unless its going to the same fleet)

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem

Thanks

i have the Volvo VCADS which lets me look at your settings in your ECM in your motor. now with that said. your referring to the i-shift stuff from the other thread , and *I* dont access to Volvos server to pull the I-shift package software available for your truck, its tied directly to the VIN of the truck itself.

i can explain Some of the settings but NOT all. and we should be able to print out a list of settings.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

OK, I'm not up on this stuff so you will have to read b/w the lines and correct what is wrong. Mine did come out of a fleet of grainhaulers and they were ALL 730's from RDO in Fargo. The truck went to Volvo in Calgary to have something modified to deal with the ABS system due to losing 1 axle. I think they changed some other programing but don't know what, they didn't keep a copy and I didn't spec what was to be changed....How would I know anyway.

I do recall previous conversations by others having limits eliminated, maybe speed limit or low water alarm which will shut down the truck...If others have had changes made, I'd like to know what changed and why. In my old 4700 we changed shift points in one of the 2 modes.

My main concern is why is it not shifting as smoothly or in a similar fashion to Gregg's in the Kicking Horse Pass video? Something is wrong. It is unlikely the rig will be going to Calgary Volvo so I need to come up with another option.

If you were to hook up my truck to the computer, would you be able to identify settings out of the ordinary?....ordinary being a relative word.

I see it says 'look', it doesn't say change.

OK, I'm not up on this stuff so you will have to read b/w the lines and correct what is wrong. Mine did come out of a fleet of grainhaulers and they were ALL 730's from RDO in Fargo. The truck went to Volvo in Calgary to have something modified to deal with the ABS system due to losing 1 axle. I think they changed some other programing but don't know what, they didn't keep a copy and I didn't spec what was to be changed....How would I know anyway.

I do recall previous conversations by others having limits eliminated, maybe speed limit or low water alarm which will shut down the truck...If others have had changes made, I'd like to know what changed and why. In my old 4700 we changed shift points in one of the 2 modes.

My main concern is why is it not shifting as smoothly or in a similar fashion to Gregg's in the Kicking Horse Pass video? Something is wrong. It is unlikely the rig will be going to Calgary Volvo so I need to come up with another option.

If you were to hook up my truck to the computer, would you be able to identify settings out of the ordinary?....ordinary being a relative word.

I see it says 'look', it doesn't say change.

when dropping a axle with the Volvo's , the ABS ECM has to have the software configuration modified or replaced depending on which ABS ECM is/was on the truck.. Main Motor ECM shouldnt have been touched.

removing the speed limiter and changing shutdown to warning on low water and low oil pressure alarm is a VERY good thing as you could have the truck shutdown on you in a bad place. but we can talk about what YOU want to change after we see how they are configured in your ECM.

we should be able to look at any error codes and *SHOULD* be able to perform diagnostic tests with Vcads Pro. hopefully my software version is new enough to support the I-shift. we can also take a trip with the laptop hooked up to the truck and head west on I80 to Truckee (45 minute drive or so west) and see what the computer is having to say about some of these shifts your having issues with.

you got a link to the video of Greggs your referring to?

what year and specs is your truck? i dont see anything in your signature about what your truck is... other than the picture shows a 730.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urCXIT6gUpU

Mine did shut down due to expansion tank being down less than a gallon, so we know for sure that wasn't removed.

2009 I shift, D 13

Need anything else?

Do you want the trailer hooked up on the road test? Are there some hills?

One thing for certain, I will try my best to get there.

so sounds like yours still has the fleet settings of Shutdown on most things. the sensor does eventually fail on those expansion tanks.

and yes that was the info i was looking for.

i will check out the video. as long as the truck does it bobtail , shouldnt need the trailer. and yes you climb a mountain...

you have a inverter in your truck?

a quick refresh of what yours is doing would be awesome.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

Best find out if I have hijacked the topic, if so maybe start another.

The inverter is in the trailer for the residential fridge etc. Not aware of one in the truck. The truck is not here, where would it be located and I will call and ask?

The symptoms showed up with the trailer attached. If it lugs bobtail there is something drastically wrong. It goes like a rocket when the throttle is hit.

The situation which comes to mind was one where I was going downhill, not sure what gear it was in. Rolled around a right hand corner which immediately turned into an uphill...maybe 6-8%. Whatever the gear it was in going down the hill to the corner, it held that gear after rounding the corner and starting up the hill. Truck shuddered big time. It must have downshifted itself, I can pull it into manual but am not able to depress the up down shift button with my thumb at the moment.

The little rocker on top of the right stalk doesn't seem to do anything.

Appreciate the help

Do not take 63" feet of truck and trailer down Highway 1 between Monterey and Morro Bay, CA. There are still 40' trailers over the side there that they will never bring up.

Paint your wagon and come along

98 Volvo, VNL 610

01 Alfa Ideal, 38'6"

South Dakota plates

SKP # 68396

Best find out if I have hijacked the topic, if so maybe start another.

The inverter is in the trailer for the residential fridge etc. Not aware of one in the truck. The truck is not here, where would it be located and I will call and ask?

The symptoms showed up with the trailer attached. If it lugs bobtail there is something drastically wrong. It goes like a rocket when the throttle is hit.

The situation which comes to mind was one where I was going downhill, not sure what gear it was in. Rolled around a right hand corner which immediately turned into an uphill...maybe 6-8%. Whatever the gear it was in going down the hill to the corner, it held that gear after rounding the corner and starting up the hill. Truck shuddered big time. It must have downshifted itself, I can pull it into manual but am not able to depress the up down shift button with my thumb at the moment.

The little rocker on top of the right stalk doesn't seem to do anything.

Appreciate the help

Roger,

feel free to shoot me a PM if you want. ill do what i can to help.

only asked about the inverter in case we take the truck for a test drive... basicly would be for my laptop if we need it on for 3 hours or more on battery life.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

I have one that will run the computer, that is what powers mine up so there is no problem there. I thought you meant a big one.

It plugs into the power outlet in the bunk area beside the fridge. There are 2 or 3 back there, in case one packs it in.

This give me pretty much all I need right now. The main objective now is to get there.

Thanks, hope to see you in a few weeks.

Sidenote, anyone there or local to weigh the rigs?

I was going to get the trailer weight/tire inflation business sorted out if one of the members with scales was attending. If I can get the locations of these people, I may be able to put them on my route. Sparks, Utah state parks then out to Michigan/Illinois to tractor pulls trying to avoid tornadoes enroute.

You'd drive all the way to Utah with a possible overload condition? Braver than I am. You've got scales to the North, West, and East of Calgary, all within a 1/2 hour of city limits. To the South, you need to go as far as High River to get scaled. These are all government scale houses, and there are 3 Cat scales in town, if you're worried about the government scales. There are likely also private scales at the rail terminals, etc.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Thanks for the scale locations but I'm in Victoria now with little chance of returning with the rig. I was aware of the ones you mentioned plus the ones at the Husky fuel stop on the corner of 32nd and Barlow which I have used before and a lot closer.

The heavy weight was last August when I cleared out the house of everything that would fit in the truck and trailer. Power tools etc. which were put into storage.

Archived