West Coast Rally in Sparks NV

MrSeas

Hopefully this is an appropriate thing to post. I live in Tahoe and would like to stop by and look at all of the HDT's. We are currently pulling a Mobile Suites with a dually and are thinking of upgrading. We are under the weight but just barely. I have ridden in a couple of MDT's but never in a HDT. Everyone always says that the HDT's ride so nice compared to the MDT's. My wife and I would be willing to take someone to lunch, buy some fuel or bring some of your favorite beverage in exchange for a ride in one of the HDT rigs. I am not talking about a half day ride just 20 miles or so. We are looking primarily at the Gen 2 Volvos, but will take advantage of anything available.

Thanks so much for considering my request.

Tim & Cheryl
2015 Mobile Suites 39 TKSB3
2009 Volvo 670 D13 I-Shift  “Walter”

Happily Living Somewhere In Nevada

649EF470-4F2A-4D47-8AB9-AFD3462E24F4.jpeg

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a 2001 IH 4700, 19" wheels and a DT 530, Hydraulic brakes. Now I have a Volvo 730 485 I shift.....no comparison whatsoever. Gobs of power, service brakes the size of paint cans plus the engine brake to boot. Safety is the main reason for the HDT. Good view, good stopping power when going down an 8% grade in the Canadian Rockies. The MDT was a stable platform but underpowered and had hydraulic brakes which I smoked going own a 15 mile hill some years ago. Glazed the pads and cracked the drums as I recall. Plus you can pack a Smart car on the back of the HDT.

People are always taking pictures of it and asking questions....primarily how do you get the car off. There are a variety of answers depending on whether someone put Coke in my French fries that day or not.

You would not regret the choice.

Hopefully this is an appropriate thing to post. I live in Tahoe and would like to stop by and look at all of the HDT's. We are currently pulling a Mobile Suites with a dually and are thinking of upgrading. We are under the weight but just barely. I have ridden in a couple of MDT's but never in a HDT. Everyone always says that the HDT's ride so nice compared to the MDT's. My wife and I would be willing to take someone to lunch, buy some fuel or bring some of your favorite beverage in exchange for a ride in one of the HDT rigs. I am not talking about a half day ride just 20 miles or so. We are looking primarily at the Gen 2 Volvos, but will take advantage of anything available.

Thanks so much for considering my request.

The more the merrier. We would be happy to have you. There should be a good range of HDT's for you to look at and discuss with their owners.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Like others have said above....everyone is welcome and the more that show up the better. But.....be warned coming out to this may draw you over to the "dark side". :) I also have a 2015 GMC Denali 3500 dually that I use as a daily driver and occasionally haul my trailer with. You will be amazed at the difference with the larger HDT's.

We will be in Sparks on Friday and Sat for a long range shooting competition so we will come over both days after we are finished. I really look forward to seeing the trucks and seeing how they ride. We are both very excited that you are so close to us.

Tim

Tim & Cheryl
2015 Mobile Suites 39 TKSB3
2009 Volvo 670 D13 I-Shift  “Walter”

Happily Living Somewhere In Nevada

649EF470-4F2A-4D47-8AB9-AFD3462E24F4.jpeg

We will be in Sparks on Friday and Sat for a long range shooting competition so we will come over both days after we are finished. I really look forward to seeing the trucks and seeing how they ride. We are both very excited that you are so close to us.

Tim

im currently living outside of carson city (over by dayton due to a parent having Alzheimer's and needing to be close by), but anyday you want to see my truck or ask questions , im generally available..

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

Just got home tonight with our new to us puller, so maybe we will be rolling big stock for the event after all. I'm not much of an organized event kind of guy, but Tracie and I are really looking forward to this one!

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Awesome on the new puller!

Hope you can bring it to the Rally!

We just wanted this Rally to be more of a "get together" and not a "formal" event. Just folks hanging out and having some fun!

Have to get a hitch, brake controller, steer tires, and light wiring installed along with replacing the coolant and hoses, but I do have 12 days before blast off.... If all else fails, I'll just bring the trusty Dodge!

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

Lou,

Driving down there is iffy at this point, having to get a CDL plus some complications with recent surgery to my hand. When all this gets sorted out, the plan is to head down that way to Utah then out east to Tractor pulls.

Anyway, could I drop in at your location and see what your computer says about my truck? Paying is not a problem, I just need to know what the problem is or whether it is "OO" operator error.

Thanks

Lou,

Driving down there is iffy at this point, having to get a CDL plus some complications with recent surgery to my hand. When all this gets sorted out, the plan is to head down that way to Utah then out east to Tractor pulls.

Anyway, could I drop in at your location and see what your computer says about my truck? Paying is not a problem, I just need to know what the problem is or whether it is "OO" operator error.

Thanks

Roger,

Not a problem. im Generally available anyday with a bit of warning your coming. sorry to hear about complications.

just keep in touch and when your this way , we can get together and look at your truck.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

We just found out our plans have been changed and we can make Sparks for the rally. Just called the park and they had a space arriving on the 17th for a week. Sent an e-mail to Scott.

Looking forward to meeting everyone! Since we will be there a little early, let us know if we can help in any way. Send me a PM and I will send a phone number.

We have a Volvo with the I-Shift if anyone wants to drive one.

Walker Lane

Walker & Evelyn

2009 Volvo 780 I-Shift; 2011 38LK HitchHiker; 2011 Smart

Good. Glad to see another attendee. I think we are off to a good start for the first WCR. ?

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Howdy All,

Tomorrow, I load the Smart car and the Ural in the toy hauler, stash all the needed cloths and such, just kinda chomping at the bit wanting to hit the road for another trip.

I hate going down the I-5 slab from my home, I am doing some map recon work looking for an alternative route. My Garmin mapping program allows routing for different modes of transportation, the one for "trucking" and "RV" is pretty much the same, the one for regular automobile driving looks interesting I am checking it against my truckers atlas to see if its feasible. I don't want to come across a low bridge or lenght restriction with no place to turn around. :unsure: See y'all soon.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

Tomorrow, I load the Smart car and the Ural in the toy hauler, stash all the needed cloths and such, just kinda chomping at the bit wanting to hit the road for another trip.

I hate going down the I-5 slab from my home, I am doing some map recon work looking for an alternative route. My Garmin mapping program allows routing for different modes of transportation, the one for "trucking" and "RV" is pretty much the same, the one for regular automobile driving looks interesting I am checking it against my truckers atlas to see if its feasible. I don't want to come across a low bridge or lenght restriction with no place to turn around. :unsure: See y'all soon.

Dave

Weren't you in Washington or Oregon Dave? I have some suggestions for a back way in there.....

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

Weren't you in Washington or Oregon Dave? I have some suggestions for a back way in there.....

Howdy Tony,

Yes Sir, I live about 50 miles northeast of Seattle. My map program suggests going on the I-5 slab down to Eugene OR, then cutting over to Hwy #58, running 58 to Hwy #97, taking 97 to Hwy#39, then running 39 to Hwy #139, take 139 to Hwy #395, then drive 395 to I-80, from I-80 take the roads needed to reach the camp ground. If anyone has any adverse information on that route please post it up here or make suggestions if you have them. I don't mind climbing mountains or curvy roads they make the drive much more interesting and pleasant.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Mr Cob,

Only thing I would change is i WOULD STAY ON THE I-5 slab to Roseburg, then take 138 over to 97. Much prettier drive in my opinion and you will have no trouble on it with your rig.

Joe

Joe

The "Doghouse" 04 Tiffin Phaeton 40TGH

TOAD--2008 Dodge Dakota

Everything in CA and NV I think would be smooth sailing. I have driven most of those in the past two months. I would suggest instead of taking the 395 down to I80, running over to Cedarville on 299 then right on Surprise Valley Rd which tuns into NV 447. You could then turn on to NV 446, then NV445 and that will run you almost right down to the camp spot.

This would add a little more time, but if you like high desert it will be awesome! If you are leaving early and want to stop off along the way, plan to pull off at Gerlach and do some riding in the Black Rock Desert. I can give you more details if you plan to do this.

All of the changes here are 2 lane roads, but in good condition, low traffic, and friendly for largre vehicles. My truck driver buddy short cuts through there all the time. Don't speed through the Indian reservation....I heard they will get you.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

Mr Cob,

Only thing I would change is i WOULD STAY ON THE I-5 slab to Roseburg, then take 138 over to 97. Much prettier drive in my opinion and you will have no trouble on it with your rig.

Joe

Howdy Joe,

Thanks for the tip, I'll look this suggestion over.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Everything in CA and NV I think would be smooth sailing. I have driven most of those in the past two months. I would suggest instead of taking the 395 down to I80, running over to Cedarville on 299 then right on Surprise Valley Rd which tuns into NV 447. You could then turn on to NV 446, then NV445 and that will run you almost right down to the camp spot.

This would add a little more time, but if you like high desert it will be awesome! If you are leaving early and want to stop off along the way, plan to pull off at Gerlach and do some riding in the Black Rock Desert. I can give you more details if you plan to do this.

All of the changes here are 2 lane roads, but in good condition, low traffic, and friendly for largre vehicles. My truck driver buddy short cuts through there all the time. Don't speed through the Indian reservation....I heard they will get you.

Howdy Tony,

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at my map and check this area out. I will be doing some desert Ural riding for a few days before the HDT rally starts with a fellow who also rides a Ural and lives about 40 miles from the camp ground. I like to explore areas I haven't been in before so any interesting information you can pass on will be welcome, send me a PM if you don't want to clutter up this thread.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived