West Coast Rally in Sparks NV

MrSeas

I won't be going but question the open fire policy. I have found that you cannot start a campfire just anywhere on your camping spot, but the use of a BBQ grill and such is allowed. Sometimes there are specific places to build a fire using wood for a campfire. The Dutch Oven cookoff I attended the cooks had near complete control of their heat source. From protection from the heat to protection from the wind. No fire was started without a way to put it out and no fire left unattended. I hope that is the case for the campground.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't be going but question the open fire policy. I have found that you cannot start a campfire just anywhere on your camping spot, but the use of a BBQ grill and such is allowed. Sometimes there are specific places to build a fire using wood for a campfire. The Dutch Oven cookoff I attended the cooks had near complete control of their heat source. From protection from the heat to protection from the wind. No fire was started without a way to put it out and no fire left unattended. I hope that is the case for the campground.

Rod

Rod:

Where and when was the dutch oven cook off? Sounds like an event that I should attend. I could be a taste judge :D

My question is 'No fires' or 'No ground fires'? We have been in places where you could have fires in a raised container. We have used a BBQ grill.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Rod:

Where and when was the dutch oven cook off? Sounds like an event that I should attend. I could be a taste judge :D

Fremont Iowa. don't have the dates for this year's event. Local folks usually judge, but you never know.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

i should be coming but wont be staying there since im currently close to Dayton,nv (45 miles away)

i can bring my laptop if anybody wants to look at there programming on there trucks or codes that

are popping up in the computer in the truck.

i got diagnostic software for Detroit, Cummins, Cat, and Volvo motors.

also got the eaton automated transmission software, Wabco/meritor ABS computers, and more.

be basicly no charge other than donating a pepsi to me to drink during my time looking at my laptop

connected to your truck. none of this $200+ a dealer wants to just adjust parameters..

looking forward to meeting whoever is coming.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

i should be coming but wont be staying there since im currently close to Dayton,nv (45 miles away)

i can bring my laptop if anybody wants to look at there programming on there trucks or codes that

also got the eaton automated transmission software, Wabco/meritor ABS computers, and more.

be basicly no charge other than donating a pepsi to me to drink during my time looking at my laptop

connected to your truck. none of this $200+ a dealer wants to just adjust parameters..

Howdy Luo10,

I drive a Freightliner, yeah I know its not a Volvo. I have a 12.7 series 60 Detroit and an Eaton-Fuller 10 speed Auto-Shift, do you have whats needed to give this setup a check up, I have no idea if there are any codes, past or present that should be addressed, can you find out things like what the average fuel mileage was on this truck, what horse power and torque setting are in it etc? If you have the capability to take a look at my truck I'd sure like to buy that Pepsi for you.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy Luo10,

I drive a Freightliner, yeah I know its not a Volvo. I have a 12.7 series 60 Detroit and an Eaton-Fuller 10 speed Auto-Shift, do you have whats needed to give this setup a check up, I have no idea if there are any codes, past or present that should be addressed, can you find out things like what the average fuel mileage was on this truck, what horse power and torque setting are in it etc? If you have the capability to take a look at my truck I'd sure like to buy that Pepsi for you.

Dave

should not be a problem. most trucks have the same plug under the dash to plug up to. (its a Deutsch round plug about 1" diameter)

we can look at whatever the software lets me look at , and can change settings on the Series 60 pretty easily (i also have a 12.7 Series 60 in mine). though limited by what the ECM offers for HP

and torque.

i should have mentioned above , software isnt limited to the truck mfg . its by the motor type , abs computers, transmission type and having the appropriate software.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem

should not be a problem. most trucks have the same plug under the dash to plug up to. (its a Deutsch round plug about 1" diameter)

we can look at whatever the software lets me look at , and can change settings on the Series 60 pretty easily (i also have a 12.7 Series 60 in mine). though limited by what the ECM offers for HP

and torque.

i should have mentioned above , software isnt limited to the truck mfg . its by the motor type , abs computers, transmission type and having the appropriate software.

Howdy Lou10,

Well I am sure glad I decided to come to this shindig, I'll be looking for you and setup a time to visit with you as you hook up to my truck and see what we can see. I think I can speak for all of us, when I say THANKS for providing this service to the HDT campers at this rally.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy Lou10,

Well I am sure glad I decided to come to this shindig, I'll be looking for you and setup a time to visit with you as you hook up to my truck and see what we can see. I think I can speak for all of us, when I say THANKS for providing this service to the HDT campers at this rally.

Dave

Dave,

im currently living in the area due to a parent with Alzheimer and having to get power of attorney and get my sister to sign off as she has let him loose 3 properties / etc while

shes had Power of Attorney and hes getting audited due to his 2012 taxes due to his alzheimers and lack of my sister taking care of business...

anyways i will need the time away , and be driving up each day probably in my pickup.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

Hey Lou10! Any way you can make it to the East Coast Rally?

when is ECR? and id have to fly there and back as ill be having Power Of Attorney on my Alzheimer parent and not sure how long i could be gone.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

Dave,

im currently living in the area due to a parent with Alzheimer and having to get power of attorney and get my sister to sign off as she has let him loose 3 properties / etc while

shes had Power of Attorney and hes getting audited due to his 2012 taxes due to his alzheimers and lack of my sister taking care of business...

anyways i will need the time away , and be driving up each day probably in my pickup.

Howdy Lou10,

So sorry to hear of your families troubles, thanks for offering this service but family ALWAYS comes first hoping things work out for the best in your sad situation.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy Lou10,

So sorry to hear of your families troubles, thanks for offering this service but family ALWAYS comes first hoping things work out for the best in your sad situation.

Dave

Dave,

it is what it is when your dealing with a family member that just wants to clean out my parent pockets.

it was suggested that i keep some time to myself to keep my sanity during whats gonna be some LONG years

ahead for me.

so coming out and enjoying doing what i like to do (tinker with HDT's) will be my sanity level. :-)

i like giving back to the community here, so offering up my services and helping others is important to me.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

to anybody interested coming to the rally.

i have 3 Brand new Freightliner seatbelts that i bought in a lot of seatbelts when i got mine for my volvo.

also have some 2nd gen Volvo cabinets from the sleeper of a 670 and a lower ground level fairing available and some other

misc 2nd gen parts.

also lots of first gen volvo parts.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

Sorry to hear about the family issues you are dealing with, but I am glad you will be able to get away and join us for a while. I would definitely like to take you up on your offer of hooking up the computer to my truck - Cummins N14 with Eaton Auto. I'm curious what information is hidden in there. So far I have had no issues, but it would be nice to know how everything is set up.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Sorry to hear about the family issues you are dealing with, but I am glad you will be able to get away and join us for a while. I would definitely like to take you up on your offer of hooking up the computer to my truck - Cummins N14 with Eaton Auto. I'm curious what information is hidden in there. So far I have had no issues, but it would be nice to know how everything is set up.

should be good time. ill see if i can track down a portable printer so we can print out stuff for people too as a reference.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

Lou10

Such an awesome offer of your time and knowledge to help out the HDT family. I can't wait to meet you so I can shake your hand and supply you with a cold Pepsi. I can help you out with an offer of a printer. I was planning on bringing one to the Rally anyway.

Thanks again for your offer.

This is truly awesome!

Scott

Lou10

Such an awesome offer of your time and knowledge to help out the HDT family. I can't wait to meet you so I can shake your hand and supply you with a cold Pepsi. I can help you out with an offer of a printer. I was planning on bringing one to the Rally anyway.

Thanks again for your offer.

This is truly awesome!

Scott

Scott,

thanks on the offer on the printer. that will make my life and everybody that wants printouts of stuff alot easier.

i built out a laptop specifically for my HDT cause i had a few codes i was chasing on my truck and

wasnt really interested in paying shop rate and them not being totally honest with me about stuff.

then friends started asking about their truck and this and that, so i slowly started getting the software

and learning how it all works. hasnt been a cheap BUT to me the peace of mind it has brought me

personally has made it well worth the investment.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

Lou10,

If you would like to do a demo or presentation I would like to Volunteer my Volvo 630. I would be very interested in knowing what my settings are and what they actually mean. I can probably find a 6 pack of Pepsi for you. l am looking forward to meeting you.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Lou10,

If you would like to do a demo or presentation I would like to Volunteer my Volvo 630. I would be very interested in knowing what my settings are and what they actually mean. I can probably find a 6 pack of Pepsi for you. l am looking forward to meeting you.

Brad

sounds like good fun.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

today, I spoke to the people at the campground and propane BBQ's are OK at the campground. B U T, do not use on the astroturf. It will melt. NOT GOOD.

Astroturf???? I am used to boon docking. This will be different. :)

thing you have to remember is this. Reno/Sparks (as well as collective Nevada) is in a Desert. THINGS burn here WAY easier than alot

of states so i TOTALLY understand why theres no campfires ALLOWED.

the RV Park USE to be the OLD helms Pit which turned into a Lake when they had Heavy flood in 1997 and the truckee river overflowed

its banks and flooded a good part of Sparks. which in turn water from the flood flowed thru a culvert into the pit and filling up the 77 acre

Pit in less than 2 days (which was WELL over 100' deep) and caved in a few lanes of I-80 which runs right next to it.

to anybody thinking of fishing in the lake, there are fish but certain years MOST turn up dead. across the interstate and down a ways west

is a Oil tank farm on the South side of I-80 and VERY visible. those tanks were leaking and still to this day, oil contaminates show up

in the lake. that was one of the reasons the helms pit was closed. it was a gravel pit.

i remember this like it was yesterday. i lived in reno at the time. (was born in reno and lived there til 2000 when i left and never planned to return)

Fulltimer Class of 2007

For activities to do while you're there the 10 Day Reno Rodeo should be taking place as well as the Bob Feist Invitational Team Roping on Monday the 22nd of June. There are a lot of Rodeo related things going on that weekend including the bidding on the Calcutta for the BFI!

Archived