"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730 RV Hauler Build

bmzero

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I just walked out of the DMV with a shiny new RV tag! That's a huge burden lifted off of my shoulders. I was pretty worried about that.

It turns out, I was worried for no reason, but I think I had an ace in the hole. When I bought the truck in Ohio, they issued me an Ohio title. I financed part of this truck, so when my credit union did the title application on my Alabama title, I asked them to put the body type as RV instead of TK. That made all of the difference in the world. The DMV never even questioned that it was a RV and they were perplexed when they couldn't find Volvo VNL 730 listed in their RV book. I tried to be very polite and answered every question I was asked truthfully, but I did not offer any information that wasn't requested. I came prepared for worst case with photos, truck in the parking lot, weigh ticket, and all proper documentation. Turns out, they didn't even look at the photos or the truck. They just went into the Alabama DOT system and added Volvo VNL 730 to the list. Now, anyone behind me should be able to breeze right through Alabama DMV. Easy as that.

When I got into the truck to leave the DMV I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I kept thinking they were going to run out the door screaming "give me back that license plate!"

Now I can print a smaller "Private Coach" sticker. :D

Start the car!! (RV) :) :) :) Good job!

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

I know exactly how you feel. I was able to register mine as a private vehicle in New Jersey and I couldn't get our of the parking lot fast enough. I still feel like I'm doing something illegal every time I take it out on the road.

That's how mine is registered in NV and have the same feeling, although I've never had any trouble.

1993 Freightliner 3406C Cat, 400 HP, 9 speed, singled long, 3.91 ratio, 264" wheel base, 12' flat deck with dove tail

1997 F350 dually, 4wd conversion, intercooler, 3 inch intakes, WW2 compressor wheel, bellowed up-pipes,

2007 Ragen Toyhauler

4a8a58ec-58d7-48af-b0d7-9dd42cf5b43a_zps

As an update. Willy is at the local Volvo dealer now getting a 22-point inspection. Looks like I'm going to have a nice little repair bill. I want it to be right before we hit the road this summer on our cross country trip.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

A quick way to find something wrong with your truck is to take it to a dealer. I'm sure I will have a hard time getting out of there without a long list of "needs". Plus, I needed them to reprogram the truck for the missing axle.

While picking up some new leveling valves at the local Kenworth dealership I asked how much for a PM, quoted me $725.00. Pretty sure I can hat the same thing done at petro for $250-275.00. I am impressed with their parts dept, I get most things at the dealership for less than Internet prices. Still trying to find a good local diesel mechanic to use.

I will wait patiently to hear what the dealership finds and quotes you for repair.

The dealership was dragging their feet getting to the truck, so I went and picked it up Friday so I could get some things done over the weekend. They were able to get it programmed for a single drive axle, though. That seemed to go fine.

I wasn't happy with where the rear suspension level valve was located, so I bought a new valve, built a new bracket, and relocated it in a safer, more compact location. This opened up the rear of the frame for the hitch box. Once I get all of the lines and wiring run, I'll locate everything with Adel clamps to keep the lines and wires from rubbing the chassis.

16542943285_e7330bf802_b.jpg

I had some help from Ratchet, my Boxer, today.

15922722073_decfb685b3_b.jpg

16542943055_3db32023ae_b.jpg

While picking up some new leveling valves at the local Kenworth dealership I asked how much for a PM, quoted me $725.00. Pretty sure I can hat the same thing done at petro for $250-275.00. I am impressed with their parts dept, I get most things at the dealership for less than Internet prices. Still trying to find a good local diesel mechanic to use.

I will wait patiently to hear what the dealership finds and quotes you for repair.

Just my opinion, on your PM pricing, your not comparing apples to apples. Your oil change at Petro will be an oil change, filters some of the grease fittings hit with grease. The dealership will have a check list of items to be checked and IMO they will perform a higher quality pm than a truck stop.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

I agree with Rick. A PM service around here is basically oil lube and filters, a safety inspection without the sticker but with a written record of tire pressures and tread depth, brake strokes and brake linings. It easily takes a couple of hours to do one properly. My mechanic tells me there has been some discussion about having to remove brake drums to record inside diameter and lining thickness on the annual safety. If that happens here the safety inspection alone would be $700.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

I'm going to pick up Willy tonight. He did fairly well at his checkup.

Found a leaky coolant pipe. Not sure exactly which one. Not a hose, but a metal pipe. That was repaired and a little pricey since they had to drain and reuse the coolant.

Recoded the truck for one axle.

Chased the TCS light, but did not resolve. I'll have to track that down myself. Their labor rates got too pricey on that one. Sensors are supposedly all working correctly.

Recoded the truck for LED tail lights.

They also fixed that crazy vibration I have been chasing. It was the rear suspension ride height, which completely blew my mind. When I put on the new valve, I set it at the same height it was at when I bought the truck. That explains why I still felt the vibration after the axle removal. It had nothing to do with bad driveline components. They ended up adding about 2" - 3" of ride height. For future reference, in case anyone needs to know, the proper ride height for these trucks is 8.5" from the seam in the middle of the square axle tube to the bottom of the frame rail. I didn't believe him when he said that fixed the vibration, but it did. I guess having that much rotating mass out of sync (u-joint sync) can shake the entire truck and make it feel like it's coming from somewhere it isn't.

There were a couple of other small things they picked out that I'm going to take care of myself, but other than that, Willy has a clean bill of health and that crazy vibration is gone. Happy days.

• 4 weeks later...

Time for some updates.

The Jackalopee came in. That's a well engineered piece of magic there. I'm looking forward to putting it to work.

The DirecLink controller came in yesterday along with the Freightliner adapter.

All wiring and terminals are in to connect the controller to the Jackalopee and to the rear of the truck for the trailer plug.

I have a decent start on modeling the frame rails and cross brace. Next, I'll start adding the pieces for the air ride hitch. I'm leaning toward building the hitch platform suspension arms out of round tube, threaded to hold a 1" high strength heim joint. I'm very familiar with heims from the racing world, so I'm probably going to stick with what I know.

16232532124_f3f90094c9_c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

First hookup on the temporary hitch this evening. The temporary hitch is safe, but is isn't floating. Solid mounted to the chassis.

I purchased another B&W Companion hitch today to serve as donor parts for my new hitch design. Until I canablize it, I'll use it on the truck. I'll post up some photos of it tomorrow.

I had to cut 1.5" off of each side of the hitch platform, but other than that, it slid right in and measured 47" off of the ground. That's close enough to the 48" I was shooting for. I may add a few pieces of 1/2" plate, spanning the rails, just below the hitch for some extra strength. If so, that'll get it a little closer to 48".

16851550689_9c2905bda5_b.jpg

Sorry for the dark camera phone photo, but I was excited about the first hookup and couldn't help but pull it out and grab a photo. I'll grab some better photos tomorrow.

I'm very happy with the roof height lining up with the top of the trailer.

16851196999_f50e347902_b.jpg

Looking good hooked up... :)

Would the Companion fifth wheel on the truck and an air suspension upper fifth wheel on the trailer provide enough isolation between the truck and rv ?

I know my Air Safe bumper pull hitch with it's dog bone connections provides a suprising amount of fore and aft "chucking" reduction - I expect the dog bone suspension fifth wheels do the same...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Looking good hooked up... :)

Would the Companion fifth wheel on the truck and an air suspension upper fifth wheel on the trailer provide enough isolation between the truck and rv?

Thanks. Yes, that would probably work well, but I have always wanted to build a hitch. This seemed like as good of a time as any. Buying a hitch (ET) or air-ride pin box is my plan B.

Thanks. Yes, that would probably work well, but I have always wanted to build a hitch. This seemed like as good of a time as any. Buying a hitch (ET) or air-ride pin box is my plan B.

Right now on the LGT we use a Companion with MorRyde upper. It's ok because the ton truck isn't stiff enough to ruff up the trailer. I'm thinking the MorRyde upper and ET / air ride fifth wheel on the HDT is a good setup.

Really enjoying your posts.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Noteven,

The MorRyde and ET combo is what I have and it seems to work fine.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Looks good, are you still planning to come to the ECR next week?

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Looks good, are you still planning to come to the ECR next week?

Absolutely. That's the reason for the temporary hitch. Headed to Memphis with it tomorrow for the first test. 4 hour drive from Alabaster, AL. Will be thoroughly tested before I pile the family into it for ECR. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

Willy made it to Memphis with no troubles on the temporary hitch. That was my first drive in an HDT pulling a trailer.

First impressions:

1. Tons of power
  2. The truck rides better w/o the trailer, which I wasn't expecting.
  3. The trailer tracks almost exactly the same as it does behind my F450.
  4. The turning radius isn't as good as my F450, but the hitch mounted far behind the rear axle negates the difference.

Archived