"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730 RV Hauler Build

bmzero

Another site that may have what you need.

http://usalanyards.com/plastic-buckles.aspx

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not used them nor do I know if they are OEM for the Volvo. Sorry was just giving you a site to search. Maybe someone can post some measurements of the buckles. I do not have access to my truck for several days but if no one replies I will try to get some pictures and measurements for you to see if some of these might work. :). BTW McMaster-Carr is just kind of a favorite "go to" site for various parts.

OK. Gotcha. Yes, I am all to familiar with McMaster. All of the hardware for this project and most of my others comes from there. They have everything, but they kill you with the $10/order shipping fee. I try to add as many parts as I can to the order before submitting it to justify the shipping cost.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

What about reversing the plate/mounting bracket at the front. That would flip the mounting point to the top? Then with the tv come off the back of the tv at 45 or 60 degrees going up toward the ceiling then forward to the front mounting point. I know what I mean but not sure if anyone else does.

That would buy a lot of headroom.

I have previewed this lets see if I can make a record of not having to go back an edit. That will be a first.

Roger, I appreciate you trying to help, but I haven't been able to understand what you're suggesting.

Another site that may have what you need.

http://usalanyards.com/plastic-buckles.aspx

That is a good one. I could always just replace both sides of the buckle. It would be easy enough, and I could probably get a better, higher capacity, buckle this way.

I think what Roger was trying to say is take the plate you have mounted by your overhead shelf above the cb area and rotate it 180 degrees so that your horizontal bar Mount is on top instead of on bottom effectively raising in 3-4 inches. Then where that horizontal bar attaches to the TV since it is at a higher elevation he is suggesting come back down at a 45 or 60 degree angle to your lower mount. This will raise the horizontal bar some with minor modifications.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I think what Roger was trying to say is take the plate you have mounted by your overhead shelf above the cb area and rotate it 180 degrees so that your horizontal bar Mount is on top instead of on bottom effectively raising in 3-4 inches. Then where that horizontal bar attaches to the TV since it is at a higher elevation he is suggesting come back down at a 45 or 60 degree angle to your lower mount. This will raise the horizontal bar some with minor modifications.

Dave

Ah, I understand now. However, I connected the support brace to the bottom of that plate on purpose. The bottom of the shelf is much more sturdy than the top of the shelf wall. The bar being in the way is not a concern of mine. It will only be there when we're driving. It literally pulls out in about 10 seconds, to be stored in the overhead shelf.

I do appreciate the suggestion, though.

Very important modification went on today.

Hoorah!

15677000533_754528db29_b.jpg

I also dropped Willy off to have the #2 axle removed. Going down to a 230" wheelbase. Should be ready on Thursday next week when I get back from Moab.

You really need a nice frame for that plate and some spiffy stainless screws.

I agree. I may end up building one to put it at just the right angle. Using the stock mounts angles the tag forward a little. The whole truck will get a good cosmetic upgrade soon including parts replacement and paint work on the front bumper.

Is this a mid or short, single? If it's a mid, does the shop need to drill all new frame holes or are these frames already set up for these kinds of modifications?

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Is this a mid or short, single? If it's a mid, does the shop need to drill all new frame holes or are these frames already set up for these kinds of modifications?

It is considered "mid". It will be a 230" wheelbase. They will have to drill all but a handful of the holes. I believe some of the original holes line up just by coincidence.

It is considered "mid". It will be a 230" wheelbase. They will have to drill all but a handful of the holes. I believe some of the original holes line up just by coincidence.

Can I assume that singling "short" would be less expensive? OTOH, you'd be giving up a lot of deck space to do so and many would consider that a significant "cost".

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

The cost difference in singling short is the time and materials to drill the holes. IMO, it is not a significant savings in the grand scheme of things. You should design the wheelbase to meet your needs. Not to minimize cost. Again, JMO.

A 780 looks a little funny to me singled short. As it does singled long. From a looks perspective Mid is best, followed by long. MY opinions only.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up Willy from the truck shop yesterday. I can't believe how much better it rides with one axle versus two. The turning radius is also much better than I expected it to be. It is still not as tight as my F450, but with the hitch mounted behind the axle, it will probably maneuver the trailer better than the F450.

The truck shop did a good job with the single.

The vibration I had turned out to be from a slightly bent front driveshaft. I had that rebuilt, all u-joints replaced and the rear bags replaced.

I'm going to try and register it Friday if I can get my ducks in a row before then.

15821342664_b078b63810_b.jpg

16443857365_9b5b0f4b00_b.jpg

16256191668_30a560c73c_b.jpg

16257954477_883e1dd90f_b.jpg

16257616679_e38b672b13_b.jpg

15821345284_f6000d5abb_b.jpg

I'm going to get the bed rails cleaned up and painted this weekend. Then, I'll start on designing the air ride platform for the hitch. *hopefully

Are you guys normally leaving your bedrails un-cut or are you trimming some off of the end to fit your bed/box? Seems a little long right now.

Seems long when naked, but remember you will need minimum 11 feet (12 would be better) to do this in a turn.

That's from the BOC with the wings removed or even further back if you want to keep the wings.

That is 11' from BOC to the center of the kingpin pin, correct?

I singled to the mid position and they ADDED 18" to my frame. Don't cut it.

BTW: Looking good !!

IMGP0470-M.jpg

IMGP1144-M.jpg

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

That is 11' from BOC to the center of the kingpin pin, correct?

Sort off, Smart with mirrors folded is around 5 1/2 feet and a fifth is 52 inches, add another 8" of clearance for BOC to Smart and Smart to fifth, another 5 feet. 10 1/2 feet at absolute minimum if you want to drive and turn very "carefully".

Then there is the question, where and how you are going to store the ramps (might have to stretch things here or there. If you will install a "real bumper",

2859247470096176628cofzxS_fs.jpg

you will need a piece of "real" frame to do that too.

If you are planning on 11 feet from BOC, then the wings would have to go to park the Smart on the deck.

I singled to the mid position and they ADDED 18" to my frame. Don't cut it.

BTW: Looking good !!

IMGP0470-M.jpg

IMGP1144-M.jpg

I think that's the first time I have seen your truck. It looks great. Very nice setup.

Who built your bed? Did you do a 230" wheelbase? It looks a little longer than mine.

Sort off, Smart with mirrors folded is around 5 1/2 feet and a fifth is 52 inches, add another 8" of clearance for BOC to Smart and Smart to fifth, another 5 feet. 10 1/2 feet at absolute minimum if you want to drive and turn very "carefully".

Then there is the question, where and how you are going to store the ramps (might have to stretch things here or there. If you will install a "real bumper",

2859247470096176628cofzxS_fs.jpg

you will need a piece of "real" frame to do that too.

If you are planning on 11 feet from BOC, then the wings would have to go to park the Smart on the deck.

I'm very partial to the wings. I would like to keep them if possible.

As for the ramps, I plan on pulling a toy hauler perpetually, so I will also have the storage portion of the trailer. I appreciate all of the measurements. I'm going to pull tape on it this weekend and see where things shake out.

Archived