"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730 RV Hauler Build

bmzero

Something like this is what I will need to grab the audio out from the TV and get it into the analog input on the head unit. I would like to find an automotive head unit that would take an optical input, but I haven't found one yet. If I can find one, I will not need the converter listed below.

http://www.dx.com/p/digital-coaxial-optical-to-analog-l-r-audio-converter-w-3-5mm-jack-white-351037?tc=USD&gclid=Cj0KEQiAiamlBRCgj83PiYm6--gBEiQArnojD_Shifeq8JiujKZMb46oywMtjTXNSLpeh6coPaRDk4IaAtgb8P8HAQ#.VKrJOorF_r8

sku_351037_1.jpg

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bm,

The TV doesn't have a headphone jack? That's where the transmitter plugs into.

Nope. Only digital outs. I don't think an analog headphone jack is common on new TV's, but I could be misinformed.

Here's my TV (the 32") - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K4UIO9K/

bm,

I use this BT solution in my home with a BT speaker from TV. I have 4 Samsung TV's. Your set does have mini port "in or out" by the spec's I see on Samsung's site.....just trying to save you some $$$$ :) . It seems like there are multiple models of the 32". All my Samsung newer TV's have mini ports with audio out. Your's may not. Can you take a picture of the back of the TV?

bm,

I use this BT solution in my home with a BT speaker from TV. I have 4 Samsung TV's. Your set does have mini port "in or out" by the spec's I see on Samsung's site.....just trying to save you some $$$$ :) . It seems like there are multiple models of the 32". All my Samsung newer TV's have mini ports with audio out. Your's may not. Can you take a picture of the back of the TV?

If it has an analog output, I can just run a cable directly to the head unit. I looked over it pretty well and read through the outputs listed on Amazon and did not see one, but that being said, I generally get in too big of a hurry when planning out things like this and could very well have overlooked it. I'll check again this evening when I get home.

Here's the best photo I have of the rear panel - https://www.flickr.com/photos/britmansell/16139902416/in/set-72157649764888141. The square port with the round hole in the center is the digital out, or so it's labeled.

The analog out could be on the side or something, though.

I appreciate you checking Samsung's site for the specs.

bm,

It is hard to tell from your picture but I found a rear panel picture from a review of the TV. I think the one you're looking for is marked Audio out just above the HDMI ports.....yours looks the same to me.

h5203-inputs-back-medium.jpg

We listen to XM radio through our in motion satellite dish. We just run a cable from the Samsung tv mini port jack to the input on the dash of the Volvo. This way we don't have to subscribe to XM radio since it is standard with our Dish network TV subscription.

bm,

It is hard to tell from your picture but I found a rear panel picture from a review of the TV. I think the one you're looking for is marked Audio out just above the HDMI ports.....yours looks the same to me.

Woops, misread your post so I deleted the incorrect response. Sorry for the confusion.

However, the port you're referring to is the digital output. That's what I would use to convert to the analog signal using the device pictured above.

I edited my comment to say "Audio Out" above.

That might actually work. Here's another photo of a similar connection clearly labeled for headphones.

a5af2b5549ec6a9177660deadfd13585_8644.jp

I'll stick a headphone jack into it this evening and see what happens. Hopefully I won't burn the truck down. :)

Your picture above is not a North American version. But, the link to the picture of the TV in your truck is the same as the panel picture I posted above. It does have an "audio out" jack that is a 3.5 mm stereo jack. You should be good to go with that. :)

Your picture above is not a North American version. But, the link to the picture of the TV in your truck is the same as the panel picture I posted above. It does have an "audio out" jack that is a 3.5 mm stereo jack. You should be good to go with that. :)

This worked perfectly with headphones. This connection is even volume independent, so the head unit should be able to handle the input at full range without worrying about what the volume level is on the TV. We should be able to keep the TV muted.

I'll probably go with the same head unit in the rear as I have in the front. Seems to be a great value.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B65J5B8/

Thanks again for going to the trouble, Rick.

16208137721_d7e5f7049c_b.jpg

I polished my lenses few years back, with a help of an industrial buffer I picked up at an auction. This sucker took care of everything, including the deepest gouges and scratches, probably took 1/4 of the plastic down. It helped some but I was still not impressed with the lights. Picked up couple of halogens from Sylvania, went for the most expensive ones back than , Silver, or Gold series, they were like three times the cost of the "regular" bulbs. I couldn't believe what a difference these made, they easily illuminated road three times further than the old bulbs. The lenses yellowed again since than, I guess you have to coat them with something to protect the "virgin plastic", but those Sylvanias still work like the champs even through inferior lenses.

Great build so far bmzero!

Sorry to bring this back to the top. You have to protect the plastic from the UV rays. Sanding and polishing them does next to nothing to protect them. I work as a painter so I clear them with automotive clear. You can also "smoke" them with a small amount of single stage black mixed in the clear.

Sanded down to 800 and a grey scuff pad

nqy53r.jpg

Old vs. cleared

11158yb.jpg

If anyone wants to solve their headlight issues forever I can do them for $80.

Great build so far bmzero!

Sorry to bring this back to the top. You have to protect the plastic from the UV rays. Sanding and polishing them does next to nothing to protect them. I work as a painter so I clear them with automotive clear. You can also "smoke" them with a small amount of single stage black mixed in the clear.

Sanded down to 800 and a grey scuff pad

Thanks, Allen.

I did clear over mine and I had them tinted as well. Although I really like the look of them with the tint, I am having the tint removed soon. It just degrades the light too much. These trucks need all of the lighting help they can get. So, I wouldn't recommend tinting the lights, at least on the gen 2 trucks.

16051982725_fc5db795b4_b.jpg

16051293262_e4cfd2562f_b.jpg

How about a USB to headphone adapter?

How are you getting signal to the TV? Can you get your audio from that source?

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

bmzero - does that radio have an aux in on the back. I'd want to run my portable sat radio into it with a hardwire....and I want to do a permanent connection inside the dash....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

How about a USB to headphone adapter?

How are you getting signal to the TV? Can you get your audio from that source?

I would like to get the audio straight from the TV so that I don't have to worry about switching the "receiver" to different inputs. That way, whatever audio is playing on the TV, the single-input receiver can handle. With the newly-discovered analog out on the TV, that shouldn't be a problem.

Jack, that head unit does not have a rear aux input. I really wish it did, but having a rear input really narrows down the choices for receivers. I looked for a while for one last night and I haven't completely given up, but for me, having only a front aux input is not a deal breaker. It definitely would be cleaner hard wired in to the rear, though.

Well, for the price I may be able to tolerate the front input....I just hate cords all around....and more importantly, Danielle hates them even more. And as we shift to things like Pandora, streaming our own music off of tablets, etc it may not be as important. Good BlueTooth is critical though. I assume that works well??

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Well, for the price I may be able to tolerate the front input....I just hate cords all around....and more importantly, Danielle hates them even more. And as we shift to things like Pandora, streaming our own music off of tablets, etc it may not be as important. Good BlueTooth is critical though. I assume that works well??

I agree there. If I go with this head unit, I will secure the aux input cord to where it is basically permanently connected. Only the end of the cord, the connector, will be visible. The rest of the cord would be hidden out of sight.

Yes, the bluetooth works great. I have used it quite a bit paired with my phone for music. I have even used it to make phone calls while stationary. I doubt the mic (on the head unit itself) would be good enough to use it while driving, but it works pretty well when parked with low noise.

I was able to spend a little time working on the TV mount this weekend. I was able to add a support brace that all but eliminates any movement while in the down position. This thing is ridiculously solid now. Both kids will be able to walk under the brace for quite some time, so I'm not overly concerned about head clearance. The support brace removes very quickly with just a couple of pins (long bolt near TV will be replaced with a 3" quick release pin), so it will be removed if we park for any amount of time.

I was also able to finish weld the mount bracket and install my cool little quick release pins.

The only thing left is to add the support plates for the bottom and top of the TV. Then, a quick coat of flat black paint or matching gray. I'm undecided on color at this point.

16083091137_f49d05e7c3_b.jpg

16268959815_4a4fc8bda7_b.jpg

15646535224_16842a0a7f_b.jpg

15646535324_c782d237a7_b.jpg

16081430328_98e42ce680_b.jpg

16083091437_3f23e73a8f_b.jpg

Your work is awesome--but I belong to the "If it can hit my head it will" club... I agree you and the kids will probably clear all that easily--BUT. I had to think about accidents and what might happen...and what WILL happen when Momma tries to get to the back quick 'cause Junior is smacking Junior 2...(no offense, I have 5 so I know how these things go! :rolleyes: ) and I had a couple thoughts;

1) How about running a tube (flexible?) with a bright color soft sleeve (pool floaty tube?) over it across just below the TV? It would encourage you to duck UNDER a bit more and might prevent a head destroying the TV. Even if you lose a bit of clearance I think it would be worth it.

2) cover the forward brace with the same stuff to prevent your head from hitting it when you stand up and lean over to give the DW a smooch...(or if somebody rams you from the side)!

3) full radius the bottom ends the upright frames where the brace attaches in the picture above. Those corners look sharp.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

Jeff, thanks for the compliment. You are absolutely right, though, head bumping is going to happen. I have already hit my head on it a couple of times already. It will definitely get some padding on it before the first road trip. I should be able to use 1" pipe insulation pretty easily.

As for the hard edges on the bottom-most tubes, there will be a plate welded to that will extend out to the front of the bottom of the TV to act as a shelf to provide some more vertical support. After that's in place, it will get some foam padding. That'll make more sense after the plate has been welded to it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Quick question, does anyone know where I can get some plastic buckles that snap into the roof buckles for the safety netting? I would like to build some straps that add some support to the TV when in the up position. Even if I could find someone that had an extra safety net for sale, I could pull the buckles off of that.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Thanks. I'm assuming this is the specific ones I need. Does this look right? Have you used these buckles with the OEM Volvo buckles?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#29705t83/=vgbp8o

Thanks. I'm assuming this is the specific ones I need. Does this look right? Have you used these buckles with the OEM Volvo buckles?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#29705t83/=vgbp8o

I have not used them nor do I know if they are OEM for the Volvo. Sorry was just giving you a site to search. Maybe someone can post some measurements of the buckles. I do not have access to my truck for several days but if no one replies I will try to get some pictures and measurements for you to see if some of these might work.:). BTW McMaster-Carr is just kind of a favorite "go to" site for various parts.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Archived