Red shop rag disaster

Darryl&Rita

I know this isn't a new problem ,but it still hurts. Not mine, just regurgitating...

99g4qce4rpl21.jpg

From a Reddit thread here

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Funny, I have an Onan Generator that looked almost just like that after a round of home oil change...

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

I changed oil in my wife car one day. I pulled the air filter out of the little box and changed it. The box was full of grasshopper parts and dirt. Not having a working shop vac at the time I decided to put a rag in the intake tube and blow the box out with the air compressor. My thoughts being if the rag is in the tube then not grasshopper pieces would go into the engine. I put it all back together and didn't make it 100 feet before the car died. It took me 3 days to figure out that I never pulled the red rag out of the intake tube.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

5 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

I changed oil in my wife car one day. I pulled the air filter out of the little box and changed it. The box was full of grasshopper parts and dirt. Not having a working shop vac at the time I decided to put a rag in the intake tube and blow the box out with the air compressor. My thoughts being if the rag is in the tube then not grasshopper pieces would go into the engine. I put it all back together and didn't make it 100 feet before the car died. It took me 3 days to figure out that I never pulled the red rag out of the intake tube.

I feel your pain.  I have done things like that myself.  And felt like a dummy afterward.  Did it to myself.

Marcel

I have many self inflicted wounds.

changed out ball joints on dodge, then took it on a 2,000 mile trip.  250 miles in, it felt like i was driving over expansion joints in the road, but worse.  Pulled over to find the caliper bolts gone on drivers side and the caliper flying around and occasionally grabbing the inside of the rim to feel like a bump.  I never torqued them, or apparently even tightened them, and they fell out. Stole one from the other side, found a dodge dealer with two bolts 1/2 mile away, borrowed a torque wrench from orileys, and was on my way.

at least until the water pump went out four hours later.  Got that changed out on the side of the road, went on my way, and found out two hours later i had poked holes in the radiator with the blender-blade-like impeller. 

Sigh.  Figured i better stop for the night before i tore up anything else. 

I consider myself lucky none of this happened in the twenty miles of central Dallas construction zone with no shoulders. I got it all done myself with just a cab ride and Google maps.  

First trip i made with a smart phone, and i was damned glad i had it.  That was back in the days, when my beard wasn’t gray  

Google Maps is my friend, best free app ever 

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

Rebuilt the engine in my 1969 GTO when I was a kid. Didn't tighten the concentric bolt on the end of cam which runs the fuel pump. Start engine and all is fine. Start adding more water and more water. Duh Shut off engine and check oil. O Doo Doo The bolt had backed out putting hole in back of water pump letting the water go into timming cover and oil pan of my brand new engine. Funny thing it didn't hurt anything. To be old and wise had to be young and stupid. Yea Right about the old and wise.

On 3/13/2019 at 10:32 PM, rickeieio said:

Half of us will admit to bone head misteaks.  The other half lie..........😁

That faux pas..... looks like the beaters, auger and hammers on the Manure Spreader after spring cleaning.  BUT ...... Dad I didn't do it!!!!!!! We use Blue Twine.................😈

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

On 3/13/2019 at 8:21 AM, rickeieio said:

The mis-matched valve covers give us clues...........

Looks like a GM 3.8l V6 out of an Impala or similar car. They had a recall that changed one of the Valve covers to a block one.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

What about the times you were paid to fix a customers car and...

While doing double duty doing oil changes on the rack and running out to pump gas( remember that?) I came back to the 1963 Chevrolet 283 V-8 still up in the air. Spun the oil filter on it, lowered it, filled it with oil and drove it out to the parking lot, not noticing the thin stream of oil all the way. Customer picks up the car, gets about 1/2 mile oil light comes on, boss tows it back in to find a PER-33 installed instead of the correct PER-49

or:

Changing the customers rear tires from regular tread to snow treads by dismounting the tires(remember that whole thing?) Put the wheels back on the car and forget to tighten the right rear lug nuts, customer drives about 3 blocks, RR wheel comes off, he comes walking back in mad as a hornet....

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Know of a 12.7 Detroit, that has issues somewhat like that. Guy was working on his charge air pipe. He stuffed a whole bundle of shop towels into the fitting. Then out the charge air pipe back on. He could not figure out why his truck would not pull. Even without the trailer. It was sick as a dog, no power.

He got it to the shop, and Tim found the charge air cooler. Was stopped up with red shop towels. To this day he does not work on his truck again. IF you don't think a Turbo can't shove those towels into small spots. Think again, he did get lucky. As they did not make it far enough to destroy the engine or Turbo.

event.png

Archived