New Califederation firearm laws impact

Yarome

I don't much keep up on Califederations goings on but I "do" wonder to what degree it will affect foreigners (aka "out of state folk") crossing their borders. I keep my distance since, among other things, my travel buddy is "illegal", but I do have sons that "travel abroad" in that part of the world from time to time.

Has anyone kept up much on the aftermath and affects of their new hairbrains?  Ie., wondering if federal transit laws will still protect us possessing unserialized firearms, carrying ammo over the border or "possessing" higher cap mags?

That new, "illegal to possess-with limited exceptions-" clause without a clear definition of "residents" seems a little murky.

Just curious what thoughts others might have... and a bit of a heads up to those that may be considering travel there.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is all a good question. You really have to treat CA like Canada if you have firearms. Store them someplace before entering the state, and make sure you remove any sign of ammo or anything firearm related from your vehicle. At least they cannot randomly search your vehicle without cause....or maybe they can since they seem to ignore all other Federal laws and constitutional rights. Anyway, I avoid CA when I can.  It is a fair question, though, because I think ALL my firearms are CA "illegal". And my pocketknife probably is too. My EDC flashlight is likely illegal since it could be a "striking weapon" what with its aluminum body and knurled edges on the lens side....And perhaps my walking stick. Heck, I may as well turn myself in at the border.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

My stand and I may never be in Calif is, The Supreme Court ruled ((Otis) McDonald vs City of Chicago) in 2010 you have a right to personal protection in your home. I don't that decision addressed any specifics on the firearms. I believe Otis, who became a SAINT in Illinois, referred that he liked a sawed off shutgun.

I'm not a fulltimer but the RV is my home, my wife has the sticks but no bricks and mortar

McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 742, is a landmark decision of the Supreme Court of the United States that found that the right of an individual to "keep and bear arms" as protected under the Second Amendment is incorporated by the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment against the states. The decision cleared up the uncertainty left in the wake of District of Columbia v. Heller as to the scope of gun rights in regard to the states.

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

I travel to Cal whenever I can! It is a very beautiful state. Way nicer then Texas for example. In Texas we just throw out fast food wrappers, beer cans and bottles on the streets. I am always amazed that you don't find that in Cal. I carry handguns in my fiver in Cal and have never had any problem, ever. Cal is a progressive state and if you don't like that then don't go! I am a Texan and I still live in this backwards state. I used to hear people say that Cal was the land of nuts and fruits. My experience has been that if pressed those same peopled will admit that they have never been there or their time there was limited. 

We visit California ever winter for 1-4 months. When I visit I don’t admit to owning any firearms. They stay in my rv. If you do use a handgun, make sure it doesn’t have a magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds in it. That will get you a felony conviction just for possession. A good site is calguns.net. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Search and seizure rules (fourth amendment) can be tricky believe it or not even with legal precedent to follow. Decisions can be situational such as being legal to search an occupied vehicle without a warrant, but with probable cause, because it's movable. Then there is the decision as to if an RV is a home or not for the purpose of the 4th amendment. Trailer vs motorhome for example.  If it's a home then it's more protected by the 4th amendment than a vehicle because ones expectations of privacy are higher in a home.  All that said, even if an officer violates the 4th amendment there will be a suppression hearing and a lot of legal hassle to go along with it. Personally, I'd follow whatever the individual state law is and avoid a complicated and costly court battle.

Here is Missouri you are welcome to bring your guns. You have the right to protect yourself. We have always allowed passing through the state on an uninterrupted journey with a gun, peacefully. Now, we have no concealed carry laws, anyone 21 and older can carry as long as they can legally own a firearm. And we don't bother with gun permits to buy one either.  The only reason folks here get a concealed carry permit is to be able to carry in another state.  

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will own them! 

Respect another state's laws is really the only correct answer. And if the law is murky, then it's written poorly. And you may become the court case that clears it up. 

Mark from Missouri

Our Future in an RV

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually LB 6.7L HO Diesel Aisin Transmission 4x4 3.73 Gears

2019 Vanleigh Vilano 320GK 35’ fifth wheel 16,000-pound GVWR

On 12/23/2017 at 9:30 PM, mds1 said:

Respect another state's laws is really the only correct answer. And if the law is murky, then it's written poorly. And you may become the court case that clears it up. 

I totally agree. One may eventually win in court, but will the multi-thousand dollar cost be worth the win?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 12/23/2017 at 5:48 AM, Jack Mayer said:

You really have to treat CA like Canada if you have firearms. Store them someplace before entering the state, and make sure you remove any sign of ammo or anything firearm related from your vehicle.

Heck, I may as well turn myself in at the border.....

Probably the best advice you'll hear. There seems to be no tangible way of really keeping up with all the back and forth hairbrain ideas they seem dream up. ;) Ie., a background check to purchase ammo from a CA DOJ licensed retailer.. only?? Oh, brother.....

It's one thing to use the "don't tell" approach, but in the event of an accident, you never really know what might come out or how a CA LEO might choose to interpret their laws "roadside".

"...turn myself in at the border..."

I often felt the same before I gave up crossing their state line altogether. I made every effort to stay educated and felt reasonably certain I was in compliance, but the currents there are ever changing and never really could shake the feeling like I was somehow guilty of something or other. :lol:

CA sure isn't the only such place. But we have family there and there are also some great things to see.  I try to be pretty reserved in comments in threads like this as they could easily be considered political.  :P

Unlike most other states, California has no provision in its state constitution that explicitly guarantees an individual right to keep and bear arms.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

as a gun owning and legal ccw permit holder resident of ca.

you can bring in any long gun, shot gun. with a barrel over 16 inches long. NO mags holding more than 10 rounds.

fixed tube fed rifles are exempt.

restrictions for winged hunters on count of shot shells in the shot gun.

revolvers are good to go. except for the "judge"  can chamber a 410 shot shell in it. (short barreled shot gun).

semi auto pistols. NO mags that can hold more than 10 rounds.

NO mufflers.

NO threaded barrels on a pistol.

long guns no need to lock up. but must be unloaded.

ALL pistols must be unloaded and in a "locked" case, ammo can be in same case just NOT in the pistol.

no law saying what is a locked case, a gun rug is good. just must have what any would think is a lock -key or combo-.

and then there is the dreaded "black rife" fear here. check the aw flow chart at the link below.

best to go here, only good advice allowed on this site.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php

On 12/23/2017 at 12:07 PM, whj469 said:

I travel to Cal whenever I can! It is a very beautiful state. Way nicer then Texas for example. In Texas we just throw out fast food wrappers, beer cans and bottles on the streets. I am always amazed that you don't find that in Cal. I carry handguns in my fiver in Cal and have never had any problem, ever. Cal is a progressive state and if you don't like that then don't go! I am a Texan and I still live in this backwards state. I used to hear people say that Cal was the land of nuts and fruits. My experience has been that if pressed those same peopled will admit that they have never been there or their time there was limited. 

Thank you from a San Francisco native. I won't domicile in CA (probably FL. C's parents still live there) I will proudly display my California Republic flag, but not the US. Go ahead and call me a commie. You'd be right. ;)

On 12/23/2017 at 8:48 AM, Jack Mayer said:

Store them someplace 

SO many people say that. That kind of ambiguous term is meaningless. Should I drive back to Ohio to leave them with someone and then not have them with me for weeks as I wind my way to Commufornia?

I'd rather just not go to the land of liberals who want to violate my 2nd Amendment rights.

If it bothers you that much, you probably should just stay away from CA but you miss a lot when you do. They aren't the only state with many of those attitudes and while I'd never choose to move there I am very happy to have visited some of the wonderful things in the state and I'll not allow philosophical differences to prevent us from visiting family who live there and seeing the major attractions. One of the key things about living in the US is that we can each choose what to or not to visit. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yarome I got a lot of info from this post.  I have been looking a lot on the calguns forums that Packnrat posted, so thanks for starting the thread.
Also let me know if you find anymore bargains on 22LR ammo.  I ordered a Ruger BX drop in trigger assy for my 10-22 and thought I would start shooting it now that I can shoot it on the property that I bought.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

48 minutes ago, dennisvr said:

Also let me know if you find anymore bargains on 22LR ammo.  I ordered a Ruger BX drop in trigger assy for my 10-22 and thought I would start shooting it now that I can shoot it on the property that I bought.

Will do! I actually learned a new trick this year. Picked up more ammo than I really intended, but it was sure fun! :P

Isn't that that 3# positive trigger reset assembly... or am I thinking of something else? If so... that's a nice little rig! Aka an "ammo burner", but probably not as bad as Docj's dual 10/22 gatling assembly he wanted for Christmas. :lol:

1 hour ago, Yarome said:

Will do! I actually learned a new trick this year. Picked up more ammo than I really intended, but it was sure fun! :P

Isn't that that 3# positive trigger reset assembly... or am I thinking of something else? If so... that's a nice little rig! Aka an "ammo burner", but probably not as bad as Docj's dual 10/22 gatling assembly he wanted for Christmas. :lol:

I've a 10/22 and a Remmy 870. I live in the Bay Area. I shoot on a friends property. No one has come to my house wanting mine. There ya go.

11 hours ago, eddie1261 said:

SO many people say that. That kind of ambiguous term is meaningless. Should I drive back to Ohio to leave them with someone and then not have them with me for weeks as I wind my way to Commufornia?

I'd rather just not go to the land of liberals who want to violate my 2nd Amendment rights.

Well, you can do it any way you like. Just like if you were entering Canada or Mexico. There are a variety of ways people store firearms. One only has to search to find them. 

Yes, it is inconvenient. Yes, you may feel it violates the second amendment. In which case, you likely will not go to Canada, Mexico, NJ, Mass., NY, CA and a number of other states. I probably won't either. But if you choose to go you can store your firearms any number of ways.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

53 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

There are a variety of ways people store firearms. One only has to search to find them. 

X2. Some of the obvious would be to store them at a gun shop or local gun club (if they have open lockers available) near the border or state line. In those areas the practice is common and most local shops are accustomed to accomodating your storage needs.

Personally, I've found the quick and easiest is to rent a small closet at a u-storage facility. Off the main by-ways it's generally not too difficult to find available space and for a reasonable rental fee. Preferrably, a locally owned and operated outfit as they are generally more open to negotiating a deal.

Ie., if you're only going to need storage for a week or two, they may be more willing to prorate their monthly fee or simply give you a reduced or weekly rate from the get-go.

I've rented u-storage for as short as 3 days... or rather... they let me stick a few things in an available 10'x15' unit and put my own lock on it for a few days. That particular time I was charged the equivelant of $5/day. Roughly 4 times what their monthly rate would work out to per day, but it was cheap enough for me, no one else would handle my gear, I didn't need to be concerned about "how" my gear would be stored and no concern about any potential paperwork issues.

I've heard of folks storing their gear at pawn shops, but along with that I've also heard that some unscrupulous pawn shops will have you sign the same paperwork as if you were actually pawning your "stuffs". Signing those, you may also be signing a transfer of ownership which requires you to have to abide by that particular states laws regarding transfer of ownership back to YOU. Ie., background checks, waiting periods, etc. and any associated fees FFL's are entitled to charge when performing a transfer. Note that I'm not saying "all" do that, but something to be aware of.

If you only have one or two handguns, a safe deposit box might be an option. There is no law that prohibits you from storing them in a safe deposit box. It "may", however, be against bank policy (check your rental agreement). Your under no obligation to divulge what you place in your box, but you'll have to make your own decision to do that or not. Worst case... they find out, tell you to remove it and cancel your rental agreement. However, there is no legal action for them to persue against you. Obviously, so long as you're legally able to possess that firearm within that particualar state.

2 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Well, you can do it any way you like. Just like if you were entering Canada or Mexico. There are a variety of ways people store firearms. One only has to search to find them. 

Yes, it is inconvenient. Yes, you may feel it violates the second amendment. In which case, you likely will not go to Canada, Mexico, NJ, Mass., NY, CA and a number of other states. I probably won't either. But if you choose to go you can store your firearms any number of ways.

Except the 2nd Amendment doesn't apply in Canada.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

13 hours ago, Yarome said:

Yes, it stated that its 2.5 to 3# .  I read somewhere that at stock its like 8# so it will be a lot more enjoyable to shoot.  At $60 it should be a good investment.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

12 minutes ago, dennisvr said:

I read somewhere that at stock its like 8# so it will be a lot more enjoyable to shoot.  At $60 it should be a good investment.

VERY nice! Pretty sure that's an adjustable 2.5-3#. Yeah... I think it depends on the year of mfg, but "stock" is usually an 8# and some years have a 6# pull, which is still fairly heafty. I think you'll like that positive trigger reset as well. Yer finger won't never get tuckered out. :lol:

It used to be legal to take unassembled high capacity magazines into California.  Not sure if this is still the case.  If it is, you just reassemble upon leaving the state.  Only takes maybe 30 seconds to assemble/unassemble them.  I would keep some of the parts in separate vehicles but that wasn't actually required.

Archived