rickeieio

So, today I tried starting the generator in the 5er.  It was last run last Feb., as in Feb. 2016.  Tank showed 1/2 full.  To my pleasant surprise, it fired right up and purred like a kitten.B)  I let it run perhaps 5 minutes and shut it down.

I'm thinking I should top off the tank with fresh gas, as we hope to use the unit this summer on a couple of long trips.  I have non-ethanol gas available a few miles away.  Is it worth the bother?  The gas in there (with ethanol) now was put in Jan, 2016, and it's obviously okay.  And should I put in a product like StaBil?  Am I starting a war to rival our favorite brand of motor oil?:o

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Rick, if it were me I would just fill it up and not even think about it. The fastest my boat had ever gone (two years in a row) was with gas left over from the previous year. Granted it was mixed with two cycle oil. My neighbor gave me some gas she said was about five years old and I mixed it with fresh gas. I used all of it in my lawn mowers with no issues. I also had a diesel pick up that sat for two years and it ran just fine on the old fuel.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

I'll second Mntom's suggestion . But , I think I'd ad a bit of oil as a stabilizer .

I do like non ethanol gas . It doesn't leave the inner carb coated with the greenish yellow crud left from the ethanol stuff they call gas . I can't tell you how many carbs I've had to clean that crap out of .

Goes around , comes around .

I am a huge fan of ethanol free gas.  Not enough to pay the extra to run it in my daily driver Yukon, but it makes a noticeable difference in how my Harley runs.  90 octane ethanol free vs. 93 octane with ethanol, there is a huge difference in how the bike runs.  Not more power, but smoother, better idle, you can just feel it everywhere from idle to highway that the bike runs better.  And that is paying attention through a bunch of cycles of ethanol free and times where I can't get it.  I use it whenever I can get it for the generator to avoid the gunk buildup previously mentioned.  Onan carbs are notorious for getting gummed up and unusable through sitting unused and you can't buy a rebuild kit, they will only sell you the carb (ask me how I know).  I run it in all my small engines and have far less trouble than my dad has using regular gas and the stabil he swears by.  When we leave Florida for the season I make sure the bike, generator and a few small cans are topped off with ethanol free (a lot harder to find here in Ohio).

Sta-bil. Or get familiar with carb disassembly. 

Run em every month too. 

All our outdoor equip we use a additive to the junk ethanol gas. It helps save the carbs hoses etc. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Thanks for the replies.  I'm leaning towards filling up with the ethanol free stuff, just as a precaution.  

My personal experience with modern gas in general, whether ethanol or not, is that it doesn't store well.  It's designed to meet emissions, not sit around in a container. I have 25-30 small engines, from weed eaters to small gas tractors, and the only carbs that have been an issue are one model of motorcycle that has very small and intricate fuel passages.  They were known to be a problem long before the introduction of ethanol.

And Tom (spindrift) is right, it's a Cummins, sorta.  It says Onan on the cover.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

If you have an engine that must start when needed - think rescue equipment on a fire apparatus or pump or some such need - synthetic fuel (such as Aspen, or maybe avgas?) can be used.  

I have some Aspen fuel (2 and 4 cycle) around for some small engines that get used only a few hours a summer... they start like they should.  Including a 38 year young chain saw. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I use AvGas in all of my small engines. From the weed eater to the lawn mower and snow blower. Including both of my Honda 2000s and the old coleman 5500. AvGas has a 15 month shelf life, compared to less than 6 months for regular fuel. Yes its harder to get, and not everything will like burning it, But I dont worry about how old the gas is in that piece of equipment. Thankfully most everything is Diesel.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

Sea Foam...In everything and often...

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

2 hours ago, adept99 said:

Sea Foam...In everything and often...

Good stuff.  A splash on your Cheerios helps get you started in the morning.

Seriously, I've been using it to clean up old carbs on bikes for years.  I fiddle with CBXs, notorious for fouling carbs since they were new, when gasoline had a half life of a year, rather than minutes.  

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

AvGas warning, it contains a great deal of lead (100LL).  Much more lead than the old fashion "ethyl" gas ever had.  This could cause trouble with some engines also. 

To the positive, mixed 50/50 with non-ethanol contaminated auto gas, most of the lead issues are negated and it will store for quite a long time (several years). 

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Yes thanks for that Av8r3400 - avgas is leaded...

The story I got from the synthetic Aspen gas dealer (also a small engine/power equipment dealer) is health studies in Sweden showed forestry and horticultural workers had higher rates of some cancers than the general population. Found to be caused by exhaust emissions from small engine power equipment without emission controls. The Aspen-type petrol has something like 9 ingredients and the engines using it produce similar or less harmful emissions than emission controlled auto engines running on pump gasohol. Which has many ingredients left in it after refining. see MSDS'sz. 

Now before you order the tanker out to your storage with synthetic petrol - it does violate one of The Basic Rights - cheap gas - it costs around ... um convert from metric, divide the exchange manipulation of the day, carry the nought... um $27.97 US per US gallon.  Before tax. O.M.G. 

I do get tired lugging away the wood $10 worth saws up in my 38 year old saw that starts every time...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Sta-bil it just to be safe. I'll do that today also since it has been mentioned.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Randall Washington?  of course.  A class act.  If you look at his machined handlebar conversion, that's mine.

Up1DkY6l.jpg

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Sea Foam... Honda generators are notorious for carb issues after awhile, they have several very tiny passages that get mucked up by the voo doo brew coming out of gas pumps. Our little 1000w Honda gets run twice a year for two weeks each time. It was becoming harder to revive each time and would stumble and chug. Then someone at Oshkosh airshow campgrounds (perhaps 1000's of Hondas there) said do not even think of running without putting an ounce of Seafoam in your tank each time you fill it up. Our Honda was pretty far gone by then but without taking anything apart it recovered in hours and has been going strong for about eight years with it sitting for six month periods in between.

We started putting Sea Foam in all of our little engines and began to notice improvements. The stuff is not cheap but if you search online and watch sales at Walmart etc you can get it at good prices. Can't put a price on ease of starting and improved performance, reliability and less aggravation.

The only time I've ever had any problems is the year I decided to "be correct" and added Sta-bil to every small engine gas tank in the fall.  The next spring...I had to remove every single carb, drain and clean.   Pressure washer, tiller, mower, transfer pump---every one of them had to have the carb cleaned and plug replaced.   Weird huh?  I guess Stabil doesn't like me!

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

On March 10, 2017 at 8:02 AM, Imurphy907 said:

I use AvGas in all of my small engines. From the weed eater to the lawn mower and snow blower. Including both of my Honda 2000s and the old coleman 5500. AvGas has a 15 month shelf life, compared to less than 6 months for regular fuel. Yes its harder to get, and not everything will like burning it, But I dont worry about how old the gas is in that piece of equipment. Thankfully most everything is Diesel.

On March 10, 2017 at 3:24 PM, Av8r3400 said:

AvGas warning, it contains a great deal of lead (100LL).  Much more lead than the old fashion "ethyl" gas ever had.  This could cause trouble with some engines also. 

To the positive, mixed 50/50 with non-ethanol contaminated auto gas, most of the lead issues are negated and it will store for quite a long time (several years). 

8er......as you become a older and older bird-man (assuming you do not bump into a rock inside a cloud some stormy night) you start to become aware that all that training you endured to become a "pile-it" and get to wear a big watch with lotsa twirling hands.......after a few decades you might find out that some evil folks have not told you ALL the truths about aviating..........hummmm.....

Ok folks here is one the few things I do know a few things I do something about after getting rid of a few millions gallons of avgas .......it's damn-dangerous stuff......it can catch on fire......it's got lead in it......it cost too much....it often has water in it.......it comes out of pumps that have way too long hoses and they are heavy.....it is easy to spill....it's hard to clean up after you spill it.......it loves to eat holes in asphalt as it drips for weeks out of sump drains until the 200 gallon tank(s) drip dry.....it smells odd....it comes in odd colors....it is often comes from pumps too close to jet fuel pumps so some times you get jet fuel instead of avgas ...........if you have full tanks and a short runway and tall trees it will burn the trees a lot as you hit the trees from lack of climb caused by too much a gas onboard......shucks running out of avgas is dangerous when you are in the clouds over big rocks at night but fine have just enough "unusable fuel" in the tanks to still burn at the crash site......

whew......now back to the lead.....one day the young good looking chick at the fuel desk was filing the MSD paperwork in the big binders the FAA requires that no one reads.....and she reads out loud the lead warning to a bunch of pilots drinking too much coffee in the not-ready-room ......after a long pause......old Cal (p-38, TBM, WWII) mutters, "shucks honey, that lead in avgas makes our tiny brain forget just how insane our job is being  pilots so you see it helps us be dumb enough to get into these aluminum tubes and fling ourselves around the planet, so you see honey that lead is there to help keep us dumb enough to fly......

Drive (fly?) on........(too much lead makes one type with too many........dots)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Rumor has it, that StaBil was reformulated to work with ethanol, AFTER ethanol was put in use.  So it didn't play nice for a while.  But, rumor also has it that now Stabil now does as intended .

I'll play it safe and use the SeaFoam.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Archived