Easier to buy the semi than getting the moving permit

Vegas Teacher

OK so I save my pennies and I save my dimes giddy up giddy up 409 oops got off on a tangent anyway I save up and buy the semi that I spoke about in Tampa Florida. It is still there going to get it on March 10th. Anyway I have gone through he'll over the past couple of weeks and here is what has happened...........

So I am a teacher and I live in Nevada which is 3 hours behind Florida so doing business on the east coast is not fun. I got the seller his 2K deposit to keep and hold the truck for me. Great no problem. I have called every office in the Hillsborough County Florida and been on hold during every prep period I have had at school. I have tried to talk to the sherif, DMV in both Florida and Nevada, the local police and Highway patrol in Florida, fleet registration in the tax collectors office and three offices sent me to different offices trying to to help me to no avail so I called the volvo semi dealership in Tampa to get a temporary moving permit a nice lady there made a call for me to morning star fleet services and they are taking care of it for me. That was 3 days worth of $H!T!!!! now the next fun issue was insurance so I called blue sky only because I figured they could suggest somebody to help me and I spoke with candcrv insurance which was a number I got from the forum I tried miller but nobody returned my phone call. Now. Blue sky sent me to progressive who sent me to nationwide who told me they could not insure the semi as a private truck. So candcrv is going to do it as a pair truck and trailer for 823.00 per every 6 months. I have this nice lady in Texas helping me out and I love her dearly,she was also a school teacher. Next I go to my mail box and I am going through the mail and I have a jury duty summons for the day I have booked my flight. I about went ballistic. I called them and got it moved. Last but not least I have a 9 month old female German Shepherd czech lines working lines that go back to the dogs that guarded the German wall. Well she went into heat and I did not know this until I noticed a couple of red spots on my couch. So I hope my trip goes smoothly. Vegas flyer and I are making a road trip of it. We are taking I 10 across the southern US and a few have reached out to us already to drop in and say hello. I know flyer reached out to big 5er and somebody reached out to me please do so again or email me at ossanvc@nv.ccsd.net I just hope things settle down a little I will send pictures of the truck and road trip along the way to keep everybody updated. The truck has a C.B. I will keep the handle as Vegas Teacher so if I am coming through your neck of the woods and you hear me jump in and say hello.

Later

Vegas teacher

Cory Ossana

Well it sounds about right. Anything that should go smooth will have a few lumps in it. Just like good gravy. Speaking of make sure to eat some good biscuits and gravy on the road trip. Looking forward to your journey.

2011 CAN-AM Spyder Rt SE5, 2010 Alpine 5th wheel, 1998 Vovlo VNL610

Hopefully 2 years 6 month till full time retirement.

Congratulations, and make the best of the trip.

Lots of great places to eat along the way!

Looking forward to the pictures of the trip as well!

Any recommendations for good eating places along I-10?

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Blacks Barbecue Lockhart, TX. Just North of I-10, worth the detour!

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

In Jan, I did the whole I-10 route from East to west. The food and fuel services will be posted prior to the exit. If there are particular franchises you like best google them up for locations. Appleby's, Denny's plus others I can't think of.

Most Exits will be Fast Food.

When driving I only eat x2 a day....nothing to burn off the calories.

Some of the larger Truck stops have a decent restaurant attached.

There is a Lamberts Cafe in Foley Al. It too will take you off the interstate a bit but from my experience with the other two locations in the Midwest you won't be disappointed, a bit uncomfortable for a bit.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Teach,

Grumps was highly educated with many advanced courses passed such as driving a lowboy with a Cat D9 into a avalanche, or having a landslide help get truck down the side of the mountain or breaking a U-joint and then the whipping drive line shear all the major airlines and then shotgun the brakes in the middle of one of the Seattle floating bridges or when the bug--eye-Sprite comes around the curve in our lane and Grumps pulls off on to the shoulder and the Ole KW Rolls OVER.........and then some days are just bad.....

You see Grumps had a theory........life is one LOOOOOng lesson and a Heavy Truck is a VERY strict .......teacher......

Welcome to........class......we never stop learning here......

Drive on........(Enjoy .......class)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

American food- (read chicken fried steak) sealy tx, 50 miles west of downtown Houston. Tony's is the name, just north of interstate. Truck parking too. And a great breakfast, have them grill your biscuit

Fancy food- Anthonie's, (steak) maybe 10 miles south of I-10, south of Brookshire TX in Simonton, exit is 40 miles w of downtown Houston. Parking lot can hold a lot of horse trailers, one tractor no problem. Saw a porche with the license plate held on with baling wire there. True texas.

Columbus, TX- 70 miles w of houston just north of I-10 American food and pie, Schobel's, buffet is dangerous. park on east side of street across the street. and a good mexican restaurant south of i-10 with a big lot.

Schulenberg- Franks, south of I-10, american food, big lot. 90? Miles w of houston

These are not truckstops.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

American food- (read chicken fried steak) sealy tx, 50 miles west of downtown Houston. Tony's is the name, just north of interstate. Truck parking too. And a great breakfast, have them grill your biscuit

Fancy food- Anthonie's, (steak) maybe 10 miles south of I-10, south of Brookshire TX in Simonton, exit is 40 miles w of downtown Houston. Parking lot can hold a lot of horse trailers, one tractor no problem. Saw a porche with the license plate held on with baling wire there. True texas.

Columbus, TX- 70 miles w of houston just north of I-10 American food and pie, Schobel's, buffet is dangerous. park on east side of street across the street. and a good mexican restaurant south of i-10 with a big lot.

Schulenberg- Franks, south of I-10, american food, big lot. 90? Miles w of houston

These are not truckstops.

Man, you pick some really hole-in-the-walls. Good food, all of them but you gotta know them to find them.

Oh, and the mexican place in Columbus is Los Cabos Mexican Grill

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Man, you pick some really hole-in-the-walls.

Isn't that the ultimate foodie goal? Finding the sketchy-looking out-of-the-way place with awesome food at a bargain-basement price?

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

If you pass thru Scott Louisiana, just west of Lafayette, is a hole in the wall named the Cajun Eatery. Monday thru Fri, breakfast, and lunch only.....

or Chef Roy in Rayne, or Pre Jeans north of Lafayette on I-49 about 3 miles, or, or

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Thanks keep the advice coming on places to stop. I am sure Vegas Flyer has routed us through all of the good places. I am hoping to find some good Cajun food and hear some good Cajun music along the way.

I keep trying to download a picture of the truck but not having any luck. Can somebody explain to me how to do it on this sight.

I am like a little kid before Christmas morning right now. I can't sleep and I can't wait to see the truck in person. I do not fly out until Thursday night and I have to teach all day Thursday, the children have to learn about Gregor Mendel and his pea plants. Do any of you have any idea how many times I have crossed tall pea plants with short pea plants in the last 20 year???????? I can tell you right now it is a 1:2:1 genotypic ratio and a 3:1 phenotypic ratio without even doing the cross, but the kids think is it like magic.

Later,

Vegas Teacher.

Thanks keep the advice coming on places to stop. I am sure Vegas Flyer has routed us through all of the good places. I am hoping to find some good Cajun food and hear some good Cajun music along the way.

I keep trying to download a picture of the truck but not having any luck. Can somebody explain to me how to do it on this sight.

I am like a little kid before Christmas morning right now. I can't sleep and I can't wait to see the truck in person. I do not fly out until Thursday night and I have to teach all day Thursday, the children have to learn about Gregor Mendel and his pea plants. Do any of you have any idea how many times I have crossed tall pea plants with short pea plants in the last 20 year???????? I can tell you right now it is a 1:2:1 genotypic ratio and a 3:1 phenotypic ratio without even doing the cross, but the kids think is it like magic.

Later,

Vegas Teacher.

Cajun Food- Lafayette LA... PM me and I'll send more directions to local joints if you want.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Ok Teach......lotsa folks here have a lota good suggestions of places to chow down but as a teacher ya gotta keep focused on your lessons of becoming a hurly-burley-trucker.....so.........YA GOTA get off the free way and hit a couple of hundred traffic lights and itty--bitty Texas-Town-Speed-Traps AND then YA GOTTA have some TEXAS BAR-B-Q so.........Try this little side-trip........It's been a decade or few since I chowed at Bodacious Bar-B-Q 1105 W Upshur Ave, Gladewater, TX 75647

but was great Bar-B-Q and shucks by the time you get to Beaumont you will e "Graduate" from freeway cruising to more advanced twisty-two-lane driving dodging other trucks and farm tractors.......great fun......

So here are the directions........after yo get overfilled with Bar-B-Q just turn the directions upside down and go back or..........just head West shucks Texas is chock full of little two lane roads.......

Beaumont
Texas
Get on I-10 E/US-287 N/US-69 N/US-96 N from W Cedar St and I-10 Frontage Rd
4 min (1.2 mi)
maneuvers-2x.png
Head west toward Oxford St
322 ft
maneuvers-2x.png
Turn left onto Oxford St
0.1 mi
maneuvers-2x.png
Turn right onto Smart St
0.1 mi
maneuvers-2x.png
Turn left at the 1st cross street onto S 11th St
338 ft
maneuvers-2x.png
Turn right at the 1st cross street onto W Cedar St
0.3 mi
maneuvers-2x.png
Turn right onto I-10 Frontage Rd
0.4 mi
maneuvers-2x.png
Use the left lane to take the ramp onto I-10 E/US-287 N/US-69 N/US-96 N
0.1 mi
Continue on US-287 N/US-69 N/US-96 N. Take US-59 N, US-259 N and TX-135 N to W Upshur Ave inGladewater
3 h 24 min (196 mi)
maneuvers-2x.png
Merge onto I-10 E/US-287 N/US-69 N/US-96 N
0.2 mi
maneuvers-2x.png
Keep right at the fork to continue on US-287 N/US-69 N/US-96 N, follow signs forLufkin/Jasper
10.3 mi
maneuvers-2x.png
Use the left 2 lanes to take the US-69 N/US-287 N exit toward Kountze/Lufkin
0.5 mi
maneuvers-2x.png
Continue onto US-287 N/US-69 N
Continue to follow US-69 N
92.0 mi
maneuvers-2x.png
Take the US 59 N/US 69 N/TX-287 exit
0.2 mi
maneuvers-2x.png
Keep left and merge onto US-59 N/US-69 N/S Medford Dr
3.5 mi
maneuvers-2x.png
Keep right to continue on US-59 N
15.6 mi
maneuvers-2x.png
Turn left to merge onto US-59 N/SW Stallings Dr
Continue to follow US-59 N
8.0 mi
maneuvers-2x.png
Turn left to merge onto US-259 N
33.5 mi
maneuvers-2x.png
Turn right onto US-259 N/US-79 N
Continue to follow US-259 N
15.2 mi
maneuvers-2x.png
Use any lane to turn slightly right onto US-259 BUS N (signs for Kilgore)
2.0 mi
maneuvers-2x.png
Turn left onto W Woodlawn St
0.7 mi
maneuvers-2x.png
Turn right onto S Commerce St
0.9 mi
maneuvers-2x.png
At the traffic circle, take the 4th exit onto TX-135 N
11.3 mi
maneuvers-2x.png
Turn right onto S Tyler St
1.6 mi
maneuvers-2x.png
Turn left onto S Dean St
0.3 mi
maneuvers-2x.png
Turn left onto W Pacific Ave
0.5 mi
maneuvers-2x.png
Turn right onto W Upshur Ave
Destination will be on the right
Drive on.....and....on......(Where the heck is.......Gladewater, Tx?)
167 ft

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Later,

Vegas Teacher.

Vegas Teacher, send pics to my e-mail which is my username @ gmail.com. I'll be happy to host them for you.

Or upload them here in a temp folder I created - http://BlueLghtning.smugmug.com/upload/Jd3CbR/RVNETWORK

Then just go here to see the pics. - https://bluelghtning.smugmug.com/Temp/RVNETWORK/ Right click and copy the image address and post the URL between [/ IMG] Tags and they show up in your post.

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Teach,

Suite Success posted a site a few days ago which worked for me: http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=2

I used it here and on another forum.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

X3 on the cajun food in Lafayette. Prejeans (prayshawns) on i-49 just north of i-10. Always lots of cars. On east side, or starboard for those of you who are nautical.

Yes, i know, only when driving north. A captain of a 650 ft container ship with 30 years at sea told the mate something was on the "port side as you face aft", and the mate never let him forget it. For the landbound, port side is relative to the ship, and is the same no matter where you face.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

Archived