2017 West Coast Rally - Caldwell Idaho

MrSeas

I know based on our conversations that Gregg really wanted to be at the rally this year, but I understand why he has had to pull out.  Launching a new/expanded business venture is no small task.  WORK really does get in the way sometimes.  I understand that seeing as I am several years away from retirement still myself.  Gregg is eager to be here next year, and hopefully I can convince Jack to come as well because apparently he owes me some "adult beverages."  ;)

I'm hitting the road in an hour or so to start making my way to the rally.  I look forward to seeing everyone there.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got smoked baby backs waiting for you in Woodland Park, Chad.  All you have to do is make a loop back to CA. ;)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack, certainly understand work.

And wow!  A new venture is really a challenge.

I join a whole lot of other people wishing you the best on this endeavor.

BUT....How `bout a little info on those bay backs? Just a little inside to your magic.

3 hours ago, cactus said:

BUT....How `bout a little info on those bay backs? Just a little inside to your magic.

Thanks for the good wishes. We are off to a decent start. Still LOTS to do.

As for the ribs.....you can do them many ways. About as many ways as people. Everyone has their preferences. Silver membrane on or off? Wrap or not? Baste with sauce or not? favorite rub? Falling off the bone, or a little stiffer? Etc.

I do ribs two ways. The 3-2-1 method is well known and I do use it but cut the 2 down to 1 and the 1 down to .5. At least generally. That is when I wrap for the 1. Many times I don't wrap since I prefer it that way. It depends on who I'm cooking for. For a contest you generally wrap, since they like them falling off the bone. If you like them a little stiffer on the bone then not wrapping is generally easier. I ALWAYS do dry ribs - TX style. Anyone that wants to sauce them can later. I use dry rub.

I've made my own rub for many years - many varieties. Now I use TXBBQ Rub.  It is as good or better than what I can do and has won many championships.   TXbbqrub.com

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

7 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Got smoked baby backs waiting for you in Woodland Park, Chad.  All you have to do is make a loop back to CA. ;)

I would love to, but unfortunately I have to get back to work after the rally.  There's that word again.

OK, on another note, it is mid June and so far driving through CA and into NV on the way to the rally it has been an interesting drive.  In one day I have driven through snow and ice warnings on I80 (with a lot of snow on the ground, but luckily not on the road) in the Sierras and rain in the NV dessert.  Not what I was expecting for my drive.  I did not plan to be setting up in the rain in Winnemucca.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

Apparently I80 in the Sierras had chain controls in place this morning.  Glad I decided to start my trip later in the day today so I didn't get stuck in that.

event.png    

18 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

Apparently I80 in the Sierras had chain controls in place this morning.  Glad I decided to start my trip later in the day today so I didn't get stuck in that.

Yeah, we all know how them Troopers can be to deal with....:ph34r:

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Made it in tonight to Caldwell after leaving the 37 degree temps and storms in northern NV. Had a great time seeing some new areas on the SXS. Thanks to Tony & Tracie for being such great tour guides. :) 

20170610_111129.jpg?t=1497242722

To bad about Gregg not showing up on such late notice. 

Looks like a lot of fun.  See you tomorrow.

event.png    

https://www.google.ca/#q=wine+country+rv+park+prosser&spf=1497337578060

For those heading out of the Seattle area or Pacific NW, you may like to stay at this place in Prosser.  This after you've beaten the crap out of your rig on I 90.

They have free wine tasting several nights a week, decent RV pads.  Ask for pad 7.  Long enough for big rigs and Luanne is quite excited about having us stay there.  Just park past the door to register.  Pad 7 is closest to the building.  Continue down the park road, make a hard rt and then up to the end.  Pad 7 is on your left.  It can take my rig with a bit to spare.  Just cut wide when going onto the pad so trailer tires don't go on the grass.  Pool, Jacuzzi.  I got her location loaded into the resource guide last year.

About a 4 mile grade of 6% heading out of town south.

It's a really nice place.

Well we arrived today. Left Salt Lake City in rain and when the rain stopped we had an awful side and head wind. Once we got to Boise it was really nice. Just relaxing now and resting up.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

We Should, Maybe, Possibly, make it in tomorrow evening.  Coming from Billings in the AM.  

So in one of my favorite movie quotes-

• Elwood: There's 642 miles to Caldwell, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark out, and we're wearing sunglasses........ Hit it

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

22 hours ago, RickS said:

Made it in tonight to Caldwell after leaving the 37 degree temps and storms in northern NV. Had a great time seeing some new areas on the SXS. Thanks to Tony & Tracie for being such great tour guides. :) 

20170610_111129.jpg?t=1497242722

To bad about Gregg not showing up on such late notice. 

Look like a lot of fun Rick. 

Howdy All,

Wishing you folks a good rally and safe travels.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Hey I hope all of you have a great time. If my truck was in better shape I would be there. I got my schrader valve replaced and it seemed to hold air. Flyer and I are going to find the remaining air leaks. I also need two more batteries, new shocks, two wheel seals replaced, two axles of breaks replaced and new shocks. I also need to get the inner cooler fixed, it has a giant hole in it. I was quoted 1200.00 to fix this. Last but not leas I need 8 new drive tires and a 3 axle alignment. I am guessing I am still a good 5 to 7 grand in the hole for fixes. I also need to figure out why I am loosing my antifreeze /  50/50 coolent at a slow rate.

Maybe I will be up and running for next year. I am also going to take a CDL class this fall. I hope all of this helps me. 

Oh I went to Lowes last week and I bougth one of every hose clamp they had from 4" in diameter down to 1/4" in diameter. It was the kind you tighten with a screwdriver or ratchet.I also bought a bunch of zip ties for wires and air lines. I now need to figure out what to splice air line together with, is there an insert like you use for a water hose?

I am trying little by little to learn. I have been reading about the different systems of the truck on line as much as I can and watching as many U tube videos as I can for pre-trip inspection and basic upkeep. 

Anyway keep all advice coming!

Have a great time in Caldwell, I am there with you in spirit.

Later,

Vegas Teacher - Now on Summer Vacation - Cory Ossana

The pre rally has started.  There are about 10 rigs here already.  We had a nice little gathering tonight with almost everyone who is here.  Almost all the worlds problems have been solved.  If only the right people would listen to us. ;)

event.png    

Vegas Teach,  On the coolant loss. Inspect your lines carefully for leaks. Esp the little line that goes back into the reservoir with the little nub and special fitting on the backside of the reservoir. If you don;t find leaks....and it will not be much.....then make SURE to do an oil analysis to check for coolant in the oil. Speedco can do that for you. But I'd get a kit from Blackstone and start to do a regular analysis program on your truck. Try for every 6 months and you will make it a year....historic analysis can tell you a lot. Esp when things start to go wrong.

Sorry for the hijack.

www.jackdanmayer.com

13 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Vegas Teach,  On the coolant loss. Inspect your lines carefully for leaks. Esp the little line that goes back into the reservoir with the little nub and special fitting on the backside of the reservoir. If you don;t find leaks....and it will not be much.....then make SURE to do an oil analysis to check for coolant in the oil. Speedco can do that for you. But I'd get a kit from Blackstone and start to do a regular analysis program on your truck. Try for every 6 months and you will make it a year....historic analysis can tell you a lot. Esp when things start to go wrong.

Sorry for the hijack.

This may need to get moved to a different location but while we are on the Coolant loss topic, I thought I'd chime in.  My rig was losing coolant out of the bottom of the plastic reservoir on top of the radiator.  The bottom fissing with the water level sensor was leaking and there was no way to repair it.  Everything was plug and play, no hose clamps, just 'click' and its on.  Anyway that was not the only problem, the interior has several compartments and one or more had deteriorated but it was not visible from outside.

Reservoir was replaced but the 1 gallon loss for every 500 miles + - persisted for the rest of the trip home.

Anyway the truck is in getting a new mirror arm at the moment and then we'll do a pressure test.  Hopefully it will be a hose but under normal operation, nothing showed up during the day on a few engine inspections.  Normally at my pit stops I just do a walk around.

Anyway a mechanic I know said the issue could be internal, egr, egs, ags or something like that.  Something on the same side as the exhaust manifold, passengers side of the motor. 

Evidently the coolant gets into this area but is burnt off or evaporated with the heat.

This is a big fix, 3-5k I'm told.

Any thoughts?  I sure hope he doesn't have that problem.

Roger

10 hours ago, rdickinson said:

This may need to get moved to a different location but while we are on the Coolant loss topic, I thought I'd chime in.  My rig was losing coolant out of the bottom of the plastic reservoir on top of the radiator.  The bottom fissing with the water level sensor was leaking and there was no way to repair it.  Everything was plug and play, no hose clamps, just 'click' and its on.  Anyway that was not the only problem, the interior has several compartments and one or more had deteriorated but it was not visible from outside.

Reservoir was replaced but the 1 gallon loss for every 500 miles + - persisted for the rest of the trip home.

Anyway the truck is in getting a new mirror arm at the moment and then we'll do a pressure test.  Hopefully it will be a hose but under normal operation, nothing showed up during the day on a few engine inspections.  Normally at my pit stops I just do a walk around.

Anyway a mechanic I know said the issue could be internal, egr, egs, ags or something like that.  Something on the same side as the exhaust manifold, passengers side of the motor. 

Evidently the coolant gets into this area but is burnt off or evaporated with the heat.

This is a big fix, 3-5k I'm told.

Any thoughts?  I sure hope he doesn't have that problem.

Roger

had this problem once and it turned out to be a leaking valve that would only leak at operating RPM's. Look on the passenger side of the engine WAAAYY up high from the bottom. The tech screwed a pip plug into the end of the valve and the problem went away 6 years ago.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Archived