RDBE (for those in the know)

ddshjs

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you had so much trouble getting it licensed, wouldn't "Paper Wait" be more appropriate?;)

:lol: Same idea ... "Paper Weight" or "Paper Wait" except that the latter indicates a resolution.

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

rickeieio,

Just curious? sounds like part of your name EIEIO is part of a children's story. :lol:

Well, I'm just a big kid, and refuse to grow up. Plus, I farm.B)

And just to keep on topic, since this is the ladies part of the forum, my wife's license plate is "EIEIO VP".

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

We named our truck Maverick because in the rv world, us HDT's are "mavericks", plus we always seem to be doing things "differently" than others, so we are also Mavericks. Never named the trailer. Do most name the 5er also? We just call it "the house" most of the time... You'll find the perfect name one day. We almost called our truck ET (Elite Toter), but liked Maverick better. One day the name will just fall in your lap - hang in there. Glad Trish is doing well with the driving and getting comfortable with it. My experience with driving so far is the hook up/unhook part, 2 hours on the highway one trip when the boat didn't go, and some of the more tricky maneuvering around in a campground because I follow instructions way better than I give them when it comes to the truck. Otherwise, I'm stuck driving the suv and the boat following Richard, maverick, and the house around. I just thought about "driving Miss Daisy" - maybe that would work for your truck??

Richard & Sharon

For Sale - 2005 Freightliner Century RV Hauler

Truck-for-sale-smaller.jpg

Raquel, good to hear Trish took the first step. That's the hardest part and it'll be easier now.

We still haven't come up with a name for our truck. I refuse to call it Big Red, even though my mom calls it that. My dad calls it the White truck, because of our last name and the irony that unfolds. He's an engineer, which explains his dry wit! Thought about calling it RAW, our initials, but that just doesn't seem right. We've had it for 2 years now, you'd think we would find a suitable name for it by now!

I am RickW’s amazing wife from Wylie, TX. In 2009, we made our first trek to the HDT Rally in KS in an LGT. The next year we arrived in a 2004 Volvo 780 (465hp and 10sp Auto Shift). In 2017, we transitioned into an Entegra Anthem to suit our lifestyle. We have a home and travel as often as we can, mainly to Yellowstone and other National Parks with our cats and dog, Bailey Mae. 

We've actually considered "Miss Daisy" or "Ms. Daisy". :) A friend of ours said one day, in an email, something about driving "Miss Daisy" up to Oregon for a visit. Trish doesn't like the name though. (I really like "Miss Daisy") You're probably right about the name one day just "falling into our laps". And, it'll probably come from someone else. She's already been called "Big Red" by a friend but, that name is already in use by Linda & Bob Elliot.

One of the reasons we don't have our trailer yet is because we're trying to concentrate on learning to handle the truck before adding the complexity of a trailer. Since Trish is taking awhile, it's probably been a good decision.

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

Oh well, now someone else can pick up the name "miss daisy" if you guys don't want it. It will come in time, one day it will just hit you and you'll pop your forehead and say "wow, I like that name"!

Alicia - your's probably isn't coming because you guys aren't in it enough! :P:rolleyes::lol:

Richard & Sharon

Great Dick - now that song will be stuck in my head for the next couple of days! I'm gathering you're not getting a matching paint job on the truck and trailer :P Imagine a purple rv!! :rolleyes: That would truly be a one of a kind rig wouldn't it!?

Now Dick - it's not that we don't welcome your comments, but tell Suzzie that this part of the forum is for the gals - so get her to warm up her fingers! :lol:

Sharon

Richard & Sharon

Happy Mother's Day to everyone!

I'm finally figuring out maneuvering around this forum, so bear with me. :rolleyes: Raymond & I had a wonderful time at our first ECR in Crossville, TN.

Janet Church Lifetime Member #96033 RDBE #58
2005 Volvo 630
2008 Blue Smart
2006 Ruby Red Smart (1st Gen)
2009 DRV 36' Mobile Suites
NO PMs PLEASE. I might not see them for a long time! Contact me at: jags1fan@gmail.com

better half: G8r.Ray Raymond Church

My blog: ForksInTheRVRoad.com

Hope all you ladies had a good Mother's Day. We drove all day (tandem of course), so my treat was getting to a nice park in SD where we almost have the whole park to ourselves, and some lovely weather. Fishing and "residency" things are on the calendar for the first of this next week. Cards and visiting with everyone at ECR was indeed really great! Travel safe everyone - Aggie, hope you guys get some good weather soon! I sent you an email about Scruffy a couple of days ago.

Richard & Sharon

• 2 weeks later...

Where are all our RDBE gals and what's going on? We're all too busy?? I for one am back "home" again to clean out the HUGE storage unit and sell/donate all that's there before mid to late August. Doesn't that just sound like TOO much fun!? So what are you ladies doing this summer? If anyone finds their way up to Buena Vista, CO - where the mountains are HUGE, the temps are cool, the air is dry, and the rafting and fishing are great - please holler and come say hi!

Richard & Sharon

Where are all our RDBE gals and what's going on? We're all too busy?? I for one am back "home" again to clean out the HUGE storage unit and sell/donate all that's there before mid to late August. Doesn't that just sound like TOO much fun!? So what are you ladies doing this summer? If anyone finds their way up to Buena Vista, CO - where the mountains are HUGE, the temps are cool, the air is dry, and the rafting and fishing are great - please holler and come say hi!

Well, right now our home doesn't change places like you. But, we're still having fun with our truck. Isn't that what this group is about? Kind of?

Trish and I just got back from a 4-day camping trip in our truck. We got too much sun and way too much wind but, we had a good time. We reconnected with some people we'd met another trip ... because of the truck ... and met some new people ... because of the truck ... and had some really good quiet times where we read and we talked and talked. And we walked.

We're still not back to walking as much as we'd like. I'm coming off a heel injuring from overdoing on a treadmill and Trish is recovering from a fall when she missed a step in her sister's house last August. But, we're both getting better and our walks are getting better.

This last camping trip has helped us to prioritize what we want to do with the truck. Putting shore power in has become a priority so that we can have a "REAL" refrigerator and a microwave would be nice. Now I need to start looking around to see who can do the work at a reasonable price. This kind of thing is one of the reasons we haven't gotten the 5th wheel yet. We wanted to spend time with just the truck, getting used to it and figuring out what we wanted to do to make it livable for a few days at a time. Trish did say though, that she thinks it's time we start looking for our 5th wheel.

Well, that's it in a nutshell, except, that I want to thank you, Sharon, for prodding just a bit to get some of us to talk. I talk to the guys all the time on the regular forum but I'd like to get to know all of you too. So, thank you, Sharon!

Trish & Raquel

--------

Guest hjsdds

Hello to all the RDBE Gals, Although it was cut short for us (in our Hummingbird Cabin) we had a great time at the ECR. We welcomed several new gals to the club and enjoyed the first formal meeting at an ECR of the RDBE Gals overlooking the lake. Later in the day many of us enjoyed visiting each others beautiful rigs and picked up some tips on how to and unique interior decorating designs. I wasn't there long enough to know if anyone ever caught any fish in the lake ??? I will add the new members to the roster and send it out via email. I will also follow up on the request that we have our own forum separate from the HDT one. I understand the frustration of having to scroll through numerous threads to find the RDBE one. Hope you all had a safe journey home and will keep in touch. Hugs, Davena RDBE #1

You are more than welcome Raquel - happy to bring the thread back up to the first page!

Davena - thanks for taking up the mission of us getting our own section of the forum. My suggestion would be to have it OUTSIDE the HDT area so that we can pull other ladies in - girly trucks, motorhomes, travel trailers, etc... Maybe a forum header like "Ladies Section (RDBE - "rigs driven by estrogen") - and that would cover those of us who already drive, and perhaps lure others in so we can get them to thinking about at least being able to get their rig off the road in an emergency. Maybe they'll see that we're "fairly normal" ladies, and by getting to know us, the whole concept of safer, bigger trucks - plus driving in general - might not seem so scary once they kinda know us. Whatcha think? Just my thoughts - they happen so rarely, I feel the crying need to share them when they visit! :P

Richard & Sharon

Even though I'm really new here, I hope you all don't mind me voicing my opinion. While our current title does this to a degree, I wouldn't be in favor of making a new space "ladies only, no men need apply or lurk", exclusive to women. There are many men who take an interest in the decorating, cooking, homemaking that goes on in an RV. Trish and I are interested in, and participate in, "the inside work and the outside work", as someone we talked with this weekend called it. I feel that limiting a new forum/sub-forum by gender is too limiting for all of us ... men and women.

On Edit: Perhaps I'm a little confused as to the purpose of this thread/group?

Edited by Raquel

Trish & Raquel

--------

• 2 weeks later...

We are in "kind of" the same mode. Working on clearing out stuff in our home in Jacksonville, FL and making our home base in Oak Hill, FL as we want it. Once Raymond retires not sure how much we'll see the home base - that part remains to be seen. Most recent project for me has been to finish the backsplash in the RV. What a fun project. I've, also, started following several Blogs of Escapees that are in Alaska this summer since we plan to travel AK the first summer of retirement. There are so many places to see across the USA and Canada -- can't wait. At this point, we think the Verizon MiFi will suffice for our "keeping in touch" and this past weekend Raymond got the printer set up to handle wireless. So our plan to put it out of the way in the bedroom will work well. :) Still trying to figure out RV Systems - having an issue with one fan vent....we've had 2 tropical storms with blowing winds and rain....both times we had a leak. MAYBE this time we have it locked down as the directions suggest....we'll see. 60% chance of rain tomorrow. HAHA NEVER a dull moment and, I think, it's going to take us 2 years to figure it all out. What an Extraordinary Adventure! Already looking forward to seeing everyone in Hutchinson!

Janet Church Lifetime Member #96033 RDBE #58
2005 Volvo 630
2008 Blue Smart
2006 Ruby Red Smart (1st Gen)
2009 DRV 36' Mobile Suites
NO PMs PLEASE. I might not see them for a long time! Contact me at: jags1fan@gmail.com

better half: G8r.Ray Raymond Church

My blog: ForksInTheRVRoad.com

• 2 months later...

Hello again to all the RDBE Gals! The membership list has been updated since the ECR in TN and I will be emailing that out to all members. If there are any updates once you review your information please send the correction back to me via PM (Private Message or email). I look forward to seeing many of you in October at the HDT Annual Rally in Hutchinson,KS. As we have done in the past we will have our regular meeting and as in the past, if there are any gals that would like to drive Kechup and I will be happy to accomodate you :unsure: .

I contacted the Forum Administrator about having our own RDBE Forum so we don't have to thumb thru all the threads on the HDT Forum to find us! There are some changes coming and it may happen after that but in the meantime Gregg suggested a temporary solution that would make accessing the RDBE topic easier. I thank Gregg for his assistance. Of course the more we use it the better communication and more interest we will have thus more support for "independence" in the near future!

Again, I wish you all safe travels and bring your ideas, questions and excitement to the rally!

Regards, Davena RDBE#!

There are some changes coming and it may happen after that but in the meantime Gregg suggested a temporary solution that would make accessing the RDBE topic easier.

So - what was the "suggestion" for the temporary solution?

Hope all our gals are having a great summer. We've been busy (well, mostly me, but Richard has pitched in "some") selling, sorting, donating, and otherwise clearing out tons of stuff. More to go still as it's really hard in a tiny town to get it all done quickly. Even donations are kinda challenging when there's only one place to take donations - they only have so much space themselves! So, it's back to work for me. This is NOT my "fun summer" for sure - but next year should be our real "full time/retired/play time" summer! Stay well gals, drive safe, and "stay between the lines" (as Jimmy Buffet says)!

Sharon

Edited by kingskids

Richard & Sharon

Guest hjsdds

So - what was the "suggestion" for the temporary solution?

Hope all our gals are having a great summer. We've been busy (well, mostly me, but Richard has pitched in "some") selling, sorting, donating, and otherwise clearing out tons of stuff. More to go still as it's really hard in a tiny town to get it all done quickly. Even donations are kinda challenging when there's only one place to take donations - they only have so much space themselves! So, it's back to work for me. This is NOT my "fun summer" for sure - but next year should be our real "full time/retired/play time" summer! Stay well gals, drive safe, and "stay between the lines" (as Jimmy Buffet says)!

Sharon

Sharon, the "sticky" at the top of the HDT forum is the "temporary solution", which in essence is like having your own site since it is always updated at the top of the page. Not as good as a general site which would be "noticed" by more women not just those affiliated with HDTs.

hjs

The sticky topic is a great solution.

Sharon, we were out at Mt. Princeton visiting some friends and saw your rig...but you guys were not around.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com