RDBE (for those in the know)

ddshjs

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decided to make Prickly Pear Cactus Jam and Jelly today. Never tried it before and it is an interestering process. The Jelly is real good. :P Haven't tried the Jam yet. Has anyone made any other kind of different jellys or jams with some other exotic fruit other than the old stand bys?

Susan, so glad you guys are alright. Thanks God for having enough truck to stop in time.:rolleyes: How is the refit going? :unsure:

Rachel, I went through that last year, actually still have a small stack of papers and pictures that still need digitizing. At the start it was so overwhelming,:blink: but as the pile goes down , it is truely a wonderful feeling of freedom to get rid of all the clutter in your life. :D

Sharon, how are you doing. I had hoped the house had sold by now. Sorry to hear otherwise. :mellow:

I just love finding the right face to fit the sentiment :lol: LOL

<p>Greg and AggieLife is what happens when you're making plans to do something else !

2010 Jeep Wrangler toad

2006 Country Coach Inspire 360

Decided to make Prickly Pear Cactus Jam and Jelly today. Never tried it before and it is an interestering process. The Jelly is real good. :P Haven't tried the Jam yet. Has anyone made any other kind of different jellys or jams with some other exotic fruit other than the old stand bys?

Susan, so glad you guys are alright. Thanks God for having enough truck to stop in time.:rolleyes: How is the refit going? :unsure:

Rachel, I went through that last year, actually still have a small stack of papers and pictures that still need digitizing. At the start it was so overwhelming,:blink: but as the pile goes down , it is truely a wonderful feeling of freedom to get rid of all the clutter in your life. :D

Sharon, how are you doing. I had hoped the house had sold by now. Sorry to hear otherwise. :mellow:

I just love finding the right face to fit the sentiment :lol: LOL

The Prickly Pear jam and jelly sound interesting. Can't wait to make some and try it out.

Trish is nearly finished clearing out 2 4-drawer filing cabinets, scanning and shredding the contents. Now there's a 2-drawer left with tax filings. Trish has photos and memorabilia of her 2 kids to digitize and then pass on. I have my baby books, my first birthday cards and photos, school photos, my report cards, photos of my grandparents and parents. I have photos of my kids as well as assorted memorabilia (drawings, cards, "letters" from them ... all those things that went up onto the refrigerator). All that personal stuff will get digitized before passing on to kids.

Like you said, it's so overwhelming, even as the pile goes down.

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

Aggie - Your Prickly Pear Jam and Jelly sound good. To answer your question: I make a Mango/Jalapeno Jelly. Pineapple would be good as well, but I haven't done that YET. :rolleyes:

Safe travels during the holidays everyone - predicted higher traffic volume than ever.

Janet

Janet Church Lifetime Member #96033 RDBE #58
2005 Volvo 630
2008 Blue Smart
2006 Ruby Red Smart (1st Gen)
2009 DRV 36' Mobile Suites
NO PMs PLEASE. I might not see them for a long time! Contact me at: jags1fan@gmail.com

better half: G8r.Ray Raymond Church

My blog: ForksInTheRVRoad.com

What a coincidence, Aggie. I just made orange marmalade with my mother and sister-in-law yesterday! Other than that, I don't do jams. Well, I did make loquat jelly once - we had a tree in tree front yard. I think my tree produced about a cup of jelly after a couple hours of work. It was yummy (sweet and tangy), but not worth the effort!

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

I used to make all of our jam/jelly plus most of the jam/jelly for some friends (apple, sweet pepper [with a kick], pear, peach, strawberry, mint). I enjoyed it, especially when Trish was able to help and it was great to enjoy summer's fruits all year long.

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

Susan - I meant to write the other day and express my thanks to our heavenly Father for saving you guys from a terrible accident! Must have been a frightening moment! Really glad you were spared all the bad things that would have gone with the accident.

Aggie - we really thought once the election was over, that someone would have snapped up the house. Have (supposedly) two couples who are both interested enough to have had at least a second visit to look the house over and analyze it. Since it's way under market value just to make it go away, and still looks like it's brand new - you'd think someone would be smart enough to know they won't find this deal again anywhere in a setting like it's in. My signature picture is literally our back yard - we're surrounded completely by 14,000 foot mountains. Such a QUIET place - which I DO miss - especially after 10 days in Goshen, IN - almost ON the stupid train tracks (and they have to honk the dumb horns forever, all night long!) The west (as you've noticed by now) doesn't have much train activity - not like here in Indiana!

We were in Elkhart getting Mor-Ryde all set up on the coach, but the hydraulic pump went out, and the last two nights have been a bit cozy not being able to pull out the slides! Even the cats seem to say "let's don't keep this smaller, cramped house - let's go back to the other one that we used to have"! So today, we're sitting over here in Goshen again - at Lippert now, to try and get the hydraulic pump fixed. Then back over to Elkhart again to Mor-Ryde to double check that everything was done just right. Have to say, from behind the coach, when he went over the railroad tracks, it looked like it was smoother. I sure hope so - before we had a bit of the "back of the school bus syndrome" going on. Remember how much fun the back was!? Oh, Richard just let me know they're done with the pump and everything works fine. Looks like we're headed back to Mor-Ryde now.

Talk to you gals later - have a great day!

Edit: All done with repair related things for suspension, hydraulic, and whatever. NOW off to find some fun. We've been gone from home for 39 days so far, and really the only fun we've mustered up was the week at the rally. Too many other "obligatory trips" and repairs have filled the time. I really need to have some "quiet time" to be able to pull stuff out of cabinets, thin the stuff, and organize what has become a bit of a mess. That and work on my rocks. Hope you gals are finding fun along the way...

Suzan - if you ever wander back over this way - have you sold your home yet? I'm cheering for you as for us...

Heidi - did Robert get Richard's truck questions via email? Haven't heard from you guys in a while...

Later ladies,

Sharon

Edited by kingskids

Richard & Sharon

For Sale - 2005 Freightliner Century RV Hauler

Truck-for-sale-smaller.jpg

Sharon - your getting 'er' done! Say you have all the hydraulics, lifts and springs and squeaks all taken care of now, that is GREAT. Hey, Sharon, what is this about your rocks......is there a story you would like to share with the rest of us?

Rachel, doing jellies and jams, boy you guys are ambitious. Are you making these jellies and jams for Christmas presents? Hum...............

Susan, guess you guys are getting all settled in for the winter months/and your employment. We are still at J.W.'s shop. The "redo" is coming along, however, they keep finding things that needs to be fixed. :wub: this time it is the shocks. Had to replace the back shocks because one of them was leaking. Now ordered shocks for the front while the whole unit is "open". Seems like these guys take one step forward and two steps back. They are fixing frayed wiring, stripped out bolts from the previous "do". This is why Sharon we do not have any pictures yet...we are still discovering problems - having to fix what was done the first go around, seems like it will never end.

Davena, we have not installed the jackalopee yet....not there yet. Saw where Henry put on the HDT forum a description of "how to install a harness for some lights." Hum......we are looking at his application for our

"redo". believe you are having a "birthday" pretty soon.....One year wiser, right? Have a good one ...and many more.

Sue

This week's birthday greetings go out to:

11/15 - Ute Czetli

11/16 - Michal Bagley

11/16 - Alana Sue Guthrie

11/18 - Davena Szmyt

Hope each of you has a very special 39th birthday :P!! Do something fun, celebrate the fact that you made it another year and you're still doing ok!!

Sue, you asked about my rocks. If you have seen nice jewelry - things like tiger's eye, turquoise, lace agates, malachite, great looking jaspers, semi-precious stones, etc... you've seen the type of rocks I work with. For years, we've taken LARGE pieces of "jewelry grade" material, and put it on the large rock saw to make "slabs" that are 1/4" thick, the thickness that most jewelry makers prefer. Most artists have tiny trim saws, not the big "boulder saws", so there's a need for someone to cut big rocks into the size that jewelry makers can use. So I have a lot of rock cut up and ready for me to spend some time to get it up on ebay and other sites... Something I'm really longing to get back to - I love working with these beautiful materials... So now you know. That's one of the main reasons for getting the new van (trading in the suv). I can carry 2-3,000 pounds inside the van, plus haul the boat and it won't mind. I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress on your "new" truck when you can post pics. We both wish you guys the best on it!

Richard & Sharon

Sharon, you are such an interesting person. I had no idea you were such an artist. Getting a different vehicle to support your hobby is wonderful.....very committed to your passion. Would love to see your rock collection sometime.

We are coming along with the re-build. Pictures are starting to surface of the new re-do. I had a chance to make a suggestion on how to secure the smart car ramps, the designer liked my idea and incorporated it in his design.....Jack called it "innovative". I went and looked up the word, it means "groundbreaking". Wow Jack really, really think so? Think we are on to something here? Those darn smart car ramps have been a pain, maybe just maybe we have a solution. We'll see how they live in their own compartment.....just makes sense to design it this way...but time will tell. At least we are having a say this time in the design of the drom boxes and smart car loader. Yeah!

Glad to hear you had a good "Birthday". Like Davena said "one year wiser"....I like that one better than "one year older". Tomorrow is the start of my next "wiser year". ha ha

A man in Phoenix calls his son in New York the day before Thanksgiving and says, "I hate to ruin your day, but I have to tell you that your mother and I are divorcing. 45 years of misery is enough."

"Pop, what are you talking about?!" the son yells.

"We can't stand the sight of each other any longer," the father says. "We're sick of each other, and I'm sick of talking about this, so you call your sister in Chicago and tell her."

Frantic, the son calls his sister, who explodes on the phone, "Like heck they're getting divorced," she shouts. "I'll take care of this!"

She calls her father immediately. "You are NOT getting divorced. Don't do a single thing until I get there. I'm calling my brother back, and we'll both be there tomorrow. Until then, don't do a thing, DO YOU HEAR ME?"

The old man hangs up his phone and turns to his wife. "OK," he says, "they're coming for Thanksgiving and paying their own way. What are we going to do for Christmas?"

Richard & Sharon

Drum roll...Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Davena... Happy birthday to you! I've come to love those significant milestones! GOD bless, cindy

Cindy & Jeff Brett
2014 Mobile Suite Memphis 44'
2004 Volvo 630 (The Sonshine Express), ET Hitch, Jackalopee & Szmyt Wonderbed
2016 Smart (Blanche)

Ditto on the wishes for a wonderful time with whomever you get to spend Thanksgiving with - whether just the two of you, or extended family. Hope your day has been and continues to be a blessed time. No matter one's political viewpoint, we as Americans have SO very many things to be thankful for! At the top of the list I think are the brave men and women who put their lives on the line every day to ensure the freedoms we have. We pray for their safety and for their families.

Sharon

Richard & Sharon

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. :D

Dito Sharon, Please remember all those who have served our country and made it possible for us to enjoy this day of Thanksgiving Day. Please pray for all those serving away from their families that they wil stay safe.

We had a very nice pot luck at the park today with all our new RVing family. It was a beautiful day here today, about 74 for a high.B) LOVE it!

To all those who have had a birthday this last week:

11/15 - Ute Czetli

11/16 - Michal Bagley

11/16 - Alana Sue Guthrie

11/18 - Davena Szmyt

Happy Birthday, and may you have many, many more. :D I haven't been on line this week :( so I haven't been able to wish anyone happy birthday, sorry.

Love the quotes Sue. :D Very appropriate. Glad to hear the rebuild is comming along good. Bet you can't wait until it is all over and you can finally enjoy your rig!

Took up a new hobby this week. Bead Working. Love it. Don't know if I will stay with it, but it is letting me make some jewellry to match some of the things I have and I think a lot of people will get Jewellry for Christmas this year. Already made 2 bracelets, 2 necklaces, and 4 sets of ear rings. :P

<p>Greg and AggieLife is what happens when you're making plans to do something else !

2010 Jeep Wrangler toad

Thank you all again for the wonderful birthday wishes. Danielle has one coming up and even tho she says she stopped counting, she can still celebrate and have a fun day! Happy Birthday Danielle and enjoy the Maple Cream:) We celebrated Thanksgiving with our family at our sons house. My sister and I cooked and everyone had a nice time.

Don and Fannie France dropped in at Sumter Oaks to join the Thanksgiving celebration. Kechup and the A1 were "thrilled" to have a familiar "siting" when they arrived in the site next to us. Thanks to Vern taking pity on the New England sludge, the A1 got washed, so she was not embarrassed when the "Black Dude" arrived! Henry's first chore (after putting our hitch together and re-installing it,) will be to apply a coat of wax to preserve Vern's hard work. I may have to lend a hand on that project. Well, Saturday I was not in a cooking mood so ordered up a pizza. From the time I called to 15 minutes later when I left to pick it up, a BLIZZARD moved in. The ground was covered with snow, the winds were howling and it was frigid. The drive over was not horrific as the wind was still blowing as a tail wind and leaving a few bare spots here and there on the road. BTW our road is all curves, hills and goes around the lake. The return trip with my little pizza in hand, was bad. Zero visibility, head winds with blinding snow and roads now snow packed with ice. NO pizza was worth that trip. On the interstate there were 30 cars off the road and just a mess. A couple hours later all was well. That's New England for you. My signal to get out of here. All week there will be intermittent snow showers. The weathermen are seldom right and that is the only profession I know of, where they still get paid for being wrong:(

I hope that JW had the re-build done by Christmas, Rachel and Tricia get settled in their new rig, sticks and bricks houses sell soon, Bill and Cec get their insurance issues resolved, Don and Fannie, and Danielle and Jack have a safe trip back to CA and TX. (What does the ground say to the earthquake? Ans.You crack me up!)

Hugs, Davena

Edited by ddshjs aka RDBE 1

Guess I'd better pass on the news. Our trailer arrived in Sacramento yesterday afternoon! WOOHOO!!

We're going down to the dealer in Sacramento tomorrow morning for an introduction. Then we're spending 3 days/nights on their lot using everything there is and making sure she's in good shape to come home.

Trish & Raquel

--------

Raquel and Trish, congratulations on the trailer! I look forward to pictures and stories upon your return!

We now are settled in in Texas for the winter: we are both working until the end of March.

Trey noticed a bubble in one of the drive tires as we unhitched for the last time until Spring. There had been no pressure change in the TPMS. We planned to replace the steers in 2013 and the drives in 2014. It now looks like we will bite the bullet and replace all six tires in 2012. I do not like the idea of spending so much money all at once, but I am thankful that the bubble was found before a blowout was revealed. This truly has been a thanks-filled Thanksgiving season!

May you all stay safe and warm as the cold weather comes in!

Susan

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note , I haven't been on line since the hard drive on my computer died last week.I am in the process ordering a SSD ( hard drive), figuring out how to retrieve my data etc. Of course ALL my computer discs are in FL in the RV! So need to get restore drive etc.

So, for all the December birthdays I wish you the very best and a wonderful day! Signing off from my DH 's computer! Merry Christmas and safe travels to all! Davena

Raquel and Trish, congratulations on the trailer! I look forward to pictures and stories upon your return!

Susan

I forget that many do not read the "guy's" forum, so, despite having posted pictures to the "guy's" forum, I didn't post pictures here. Below are a couple of pictures that can be found in the "truck link" in my sigline and which were posted in the "guy's" forum.

IMG_1315.JPG

This photo was taken as we were preparing to mount up and leave the dealership with our new home. We spent our 3 days there in one of the worst storms in a long time. Nearly the entire time it was raining (3 inches an hour) and the wind was blowing (60 mph) but, it gave us a good chance to look for problems with the coach. We found a few things which were fixed, and a few other things which we need to go back for.

2012-12-02+16.00.18.jpg

This photo was taken at a rest area on our way to our S&B. We got there after dark and managed to get the trailer parked in the dark. Our across the street neighbors let us park in their driveway which was really nice. There was no way we were getting the trailer into our driveway! The next 3 days we spent moving things from the S&B into the trailer. Last Wednesday evening ... after dark ... we got parked in the RV park where we'll stay for awhile. We still have so much stuff that's stored in the basement and even upstairs. It will sure be nice to get all the stuff sorted, scanned and either shredded or stored to take to kids or other family members.

Trish & Raquel

--------

Raquel,

I was wondering as I was reading if you got it into YOUR driveway! I was reading it to hubby, and when I got to the driveway part (BEFORE you mentioned using the neighbor's place) - I added to him that was really impressive as you've posted pictures of your driveway, and that looked to be really, really challenging! Then I got to the neighbor part and heaved a sigh of relief! Nice looking rig - bet you gals have already gotten quite a few comments about ladies driving such a set up!

Davena - hope you get your computer info back and get everything back to "normal" - it's tough when the electronic brains/entertainment go south on us! I've been thinking more and more about something like Carbonite for back up - and your experience just helped me move it up the list. My best wishes to you on getting everything set up again! When ours last happened, we threw up our hands and said "that's it, we're done with PC's - we're going Apple". Never have regretted that decision - best computers we've ever owned! Nice to be able to get someone who speaks english when needed too!

Well, we've found a nice quiet place to spend the next two months fishing - so Sunday we'll be moving out that way. We'll have a VERY quiet Christmas. Hope everyone here has just the kind of Christmas they love best - whether it's with a bunch of others in a clubhouse somewhere, with a small or large family gathering, or just the two of you quietly celebrating together. Perfect is truly a subjective term isn't it!? The "perfect Christmas" is so different for all of us - but in case I don't get back over here to wish everyone a blessed and beautiful Christmas - consider this your Christmas wish!

So what's in store this unique day of 12-12-12 - something special, weird, or nothing at all... I always find numbers interesting - like when you get up to go to the bathroom in the night - when it's something like 12:34 or 3:33... Just my own little oddity - one of the many that I possess! :blink:

Travel safe everyone!

Sharon

Richard & Sharon

Where are all the chatters in this group? Had a lovely visit and dinner out with Susan & Trey last night. They had a wonderful suggestion for a lovely cajun restaurant in Austin that we would never have found. The perfect afternoon/evening visit and meal. We've gotten SO much done while in the Austin area - will have to post some pics of my new ride as soon as I get some done. Susan was our very first passenger - don't imagine too many passengers with the lifestyle and all (not much family to haul around), but the "kitty condo" will be greatly appreciated by "the boys". Have I peaked your curiosity? :P

Ok, all you shopping gals - when you come in from all the frenzied shopping and traffic - log in and tell us what's going on in your lives! Travel safe everyone.

Sharon

Richard & Sharon

Where's pictures of the kitty condo?

Where are all the chatters in this group? Had a lovely visit and dinner out with Susan & Trey last night. They had a wonderful suggestion for a lovely cajun restaurant in Austin that we would never have found. The perfect afternoon/evening visit and meal. We've gotten SO much done while in the Austin area - will have to post some pics of my new ride as soon as I get some done. Susan was our very first passenger - don't imagine too many passengers with the lifestyle and all (not much family to haul around), but the "kitty condo" will be greatly appreciated by "the boys". Have I peaked your curiosity? :P

Ok, all you shopping gals - when you come in from all the frenzied shopping and traffic - log in and tell us what's going on in your lives! Travel safe everyone.

Sharon

2010 Jeep Wrangler toad