RDBE (for those in the know)

ddshjs

So sorry I haven't been active! Just now reading Sharon and Heidi's posts. Sharon, congrats on the selling of your house and sorry yo hear about your shoulder!

Heidi, you won't believe this but I haven't even gone through all of those photos! I have so e AMAZing stories to share so let's definitely catch up! I'm excited to see you and your sweet smile and to hear what exciting things you guys did last year!

Hugs to all and see you soon!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoot - sure going to miss being there this year. I send cyber hugs to you all, and Davena, a special hug to you that's big enough for you and your precious mom. You're so blessed to still have her! Took care of my Alzheimer's mom in our home for 3 years till she broke her hip and had to go to the nursing home for rehab (and her own safety by then honestly). Two years later, another fall, the other hip, and 2 weeks after she got back to the nursing home, a major stroke. Two days later, she's with her Heavenly Father - waiting on Richard and I to join her. I know you already do - but enjoy every day with her like it's her last one on Earth!

Alicia - thanks for the kudos on the house selling - sure are enjoying "being homeless"! Heidi, give a special hug to those precious little people - we sure will miss seeing them and how much they've grown up since we last saw them. Hopefully next year for the rally - and who knows, maybe somewhere before then.

Hugs and safe travels to everyone!

Sharon

And some big hugs back your way Alicia. Be sure to help Heidi pass out hugs for me this year? Hopefully we can make it next year. Hope the rally police don't come get me for missing this year. Just had too many things to do, and we're still in CO until the 20th. We got snow today! Don't need too much more of that stuff on the rv though :rolleyes:

Have fun for Richard and I everyone! Hugs to you all. And safe travels after the rally.

Sharon

Hope you all have a wonderful week and thank you for all your wishes. I really appreciate them:) . My cousin and I took our Mom's to a beautiful park on the ocean today for a picnic lunch and to watch all the beautiful parrots and parakeets (all green and huge) that have just arrived there from the islands.Beautiful and relaxing day. Keep my DH under control if :lol: it's possible

Finally, remember Jack and Danielle ( and his dad) in your thoughts and prayers.

Hugs to all !

Davena and Mom

Hi all from the HDT Rally. During the RDBE meeting yesterday, it was suggested that we establish a Closed Facebook group for RDBE. If you are a member of Facebook and would like to become a member of this group, log into Facebook and do a search on RDBE (all caps) and request to join. Davena and I are administrators for the group. We will see your request and one of us will approve.

This group is not intended to take anything away from this forum. It will merely give us another path of communication and maybe we will reach more members. In addition, messages and threads can focus on individual topics. Members can reply to specific topics without scrolling through all the posts. I look forward to seeing you on FB.

Dale Bruss

I think the FB group is a great idea! Thank you guys for getting it started.

BTW, Sheri did a great job facilitating the RDBE meeting again this year. Thank you, Sheri!

We are missing all of you ladies who are not able to attend this year and our prayers are especially focused on Jack and Danielle right now.

Heidi

Hey All! We had a great turnout for the RDBE meeting with lots of new ladies joining us. It has been so much fun to see old friends and make new ones!

The number of real truck drivin' home totin' members continues to increase each year! So encouraging.

Two topics that got lots of air time that I don't remember coming up much in the past involved the type of driver's license and testing required (differs by state), and insurance issues. It was recommended that both your truck and fiver be insured by the same company to avoid nightmares in case of an accident. By a show of hands many people, especially fulltimers, use Blue Sky but other companies were also represented. Some companies will insure one vehicle, but not the other.

It was mentioned that full timers need a homeowners component to their policy and not just vehicle coverage. Surprisingly someone said their insurance company considers "fulltimers" people who use their rig just 5 months out of the year. Read the fine print on your policy to ensure you have the coverage you think you have!

Those who still have a stick and brick home were cautioned to check their homeowners policy, too, because some are void if the home is vacant over 30 consecutive days.

Current RDBE drivers recommended this pattern to learn to drive: Truck only in the parking lot, then the highway, then town. Repeat with truck and trailer: parking lot, highway, town. Several ladies shared they actually got professional RV driving lessons and agreed it was very helpful.

If I remember correctly, there are about 8 ladies who will be driving with more experienced RDBE SISTERS coaching here at the fairgrounds. Shelly came back tonight from her first drive fired up and ready to pursue the HDT life! Awesome, awesome.

Davena, your legacy lives on!

I'll be sending the new members list home with your Sweetheart. I'll also keep a copy 'til I know you've got it in your hand! LOL

BTW, Greg led a great follow-on to RDBE, sharing driving tips and topics in a "For Women Only" session. Bottom line: "Can I break my truck?" Greg, "No." Susan S. agreed, "Not even if you do it 300 times." Get brave; get lessons; get practice; get driving!

Edited by rocksbride

Sounds like a fantastic RDBE meeting! Thanks so much Sheri and Dale and all who attended. The FB page seems to have caught on. Our deepest sympathy also to Gail and Bonnie Quinn. I have a few recipes for the cookbook so I will assemble them and get in touch with Janet, our recipe guru'. Wondering if it would be helpful for prospective members if we posted a synopsis of the RDBE meetings here and / or the FB page. It might give more insight on what we are all about and how wonderful RDBE gals are:) A tally of those who are driving and those who drove for the first time would also be fun to start.

Hugs to all, and keep that left seat warm!!

Davena

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings everyone. First of all warmth hugs of comfort and understanding to Gail. I am the Alie part of Alie & Jim. I will confess that Jim is more active with his replies etc in other forums. But now he has introduced me to this one for the ladies- yipeee. I do have one question to start with if you don't mind. We are headed out next week to get our new baby (being a grandma - new pets and new toys are thus new babies); anyway we are getting a new to us HDT. My question is given the fact that I have not driven a standard vehicle in 20 years and this one is manual, on an average how long before I get beyond the terrified feeling at the thought of conquering the management of the big truck?

Alie, welcome to the group! I know nothing of full manual trucks (we have an autoshift) but Lornie Jarmie has one - I think it is a ten speed. She practiced quite a bit at the rally and has developed some real smooth moves! She is in the FB group so you can post your question or make contact with her there. I'm sure she would gladly give you some tips and encourage you to learn to drive it. Keep us posted on your progress!

Sharon, we missed seeing you at the rally this year! Have you started fishing yet?

Susan,

Sadly, no fishing has happened yet :( Too much driving and lousy weather so far. Likely won't be fishing here in TX, but we have some good quality time scheduled for GA fishing, both before and after the Disney World visit! Hey, we're going to be in Austin for a couple of days, let's try and get together for lunch or dinner? Unless you're too slammed with work that is. We'll take this back up with emails for details.

And yes, autoshift is the bomb! Only way this wimp would even try driving one of these big boys!

Sharon

Alie,

Lorni Jarmie here. We have a Volvo 610 with a manual 10 speed transmission. For me, the size of the truck was not too hard to learn to handle. But shifting adds a whole level of complexity. Our transmission is not synchro-meshed, like a manual car transmission is. This means that when you shift it is critical to have the proper RPMs for the gear you are trying to find. This takes a LOT of practice. At least it did for me. Still does.

The main thing is to practice as much as you can. Start out in a big empty area, like a parking lot after hours, and just drive around. When you are comfortable with that then take it out on the highway. When you are really comfortable take it into town. I've just started being comfortable enough to take the truck into a small, low traffic town to gas it up.

I can go into more detail about what I did to learn if you like. I don't want to bore everyone here so let me know and we can email or talk on the phone.

Best of luck.

Edited by blz

• 4 months later...

Good morning gals, The East Coast Rally is just around the corner. It looks like a great turnout with lots of wannabees as well as the old faithfuls will be there. Mom is battling some congestion and I had her in the ER last Friday. Seems to be better today and seeing our primary care doc today. She is not up for traveling and therefore regretfully I will not be able to join you this year. Janet Church is going to lead the RDBE meeting and I am very grateful for her help. She is going to be a busy lady all week with her own presentations. Heidi Springfield will not attend due to work commitments, I was hoping you could hear from her first hand how she has logged 2000+ miles piloting their rig during the last several months. Janet may be able to give you some inside info, or maybe Heidi will send an email about her adventure! I hope you all have a wonderful week, meet lots of new friends and learn about the HDT lifestyle especially from the drivers seat perspective. Our membership grows with every rally, Bring some of your questions to the RDBE meeting and get answers from those who have been there and done that! Miss you all and keep on driving:)

Hugs, Davena Szmyt RDBE#1 ddshjs on the forum

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Just in case some RDBE ladies are in this thread and attending the Rally, we are having the RDBE meeting on Monday from 2-3:30 at another location than last year. Once I find the location I will edit this post with an update.

You can also find updates on our Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/717139495029337/

If you are not a member, please ask to join as this is a closed group. No one but members can see the discussion.

If you have questions, you can find me at site 40. Here is a photo of me so you can spot me.

Thanks,

Alicia White

alicia-small-web.jpg

• 3 months later...

East Coast Rally Update:

Several days during the rally there will be a scheduled ladies crafting/ social gathering. Donna has been working with Alicia White ( thank you Alicia) and they have come up with crafting a scrapbook detailing the ECR, HDTing, and each person's involvement in their RVing adventure. The plan is to allow each lady to create two pages front and back that would best illustrate their personal adventure. Basic scrap booking supplies will be provided but they are asking for any lady wishing to be involved to bring any photos, mementos, etc. that they wish to include. The hope is the book can be displayed at the BBQ dinner on Friday night and at happy hours if completed prior. Those ladies not interested in participating are still invited to show up for "socializing" and arm chair quarterbacking.

Alicia will also be conducting the RDBE meeting at the ECR.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

• 5 weeks later...

My favorite quote by St. Augustine, " The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page". Well, the page is getting pretty boring, so I decided to turn the page and attempt the trip to Crossville with Henry and the Centurian! We will be staying in the Hummingbird Cabin again ( handicapped accessible), however it is not available until Sunday so we will be a day late arriving. It will be truly great to see all the RDBE gals again and welcome lots of new ones to the fold.

We are 160 members strong as of the 2016 HDT Rally in Hutch! Happy 11th birthday RDBE gals, safe travels to all and keep the drivers seat warm:) June 2006-June 2017! Davena RDBE #1

East Coast Rally Update:

Several days during the rally there will be a scheduled ladies crafting/ social gathering. Donna has been working with Alicia White ( thank you Alicia) and they have come up with crafting a scrapbook detailing the ECR, HDTing, and each person's involvement in their RVing adventure. The plan is to allow each lady to create two pages front and back that would best illustrate their personal adventure. Basic scrap booking supplies will be provided but they are asking for any lady wishing to be involved to bring any photos, mementos, etc. that they wish to include. The hope is the book can be displayed at the BBQ dinner on Friday night and at happy hours if completed prior. Those ladies not interested in participating are still invited to show up for "socializing" and arm chair quarterbacking.

Alicia will also be conducting the RDBE meeting at the ECR.