RDBE (for those in the know)

ddshjs

Wow it's been a long time since anyone posted here - hope all are doing well by now! I am new to this section of the HDT area and joined the "gals" at Hutchinson. Wondering if we could make our own section of the forum instead of just one long thread. That way we could have many topics of interest to the gals, broken up by threads as is the general area or the HDT section itself. This is such a long thread, and as Davena stated earlier, it's mostly been about birthdays. So the question would be whether or not topics such as pets, housekeeping, etc should go in the general area, the HDT area (not RDBE), or just get jumbled up in the RDBE section... Just some ponderings from a new gal in the bunch.

About me, I rarely drive as we generally are also towing our fishing boat, and it would be pretty ludicrous to put a boat in at the boat ramp with a freight liner! Not to mention how awful a slippery ramp would be for the boat and truck sliding into the lake! So generally I drive the Ford Expedition with boat in tow while hubby has the FL and the 5er - not too many ways around that as long as we want the boat with us... dry.gif

We're not full timing yet, but IF/WHEN the sticks and bricks finally sell - we're chomping at the bit to be full timers. Till then, this winter will be spent in the mountains of Colorado. We have SO much "stuff" to sell so full timing will be more do-able, so we have to (as Roger Williams sang about) "knuckle down, buckle down, do it, do it, do it"! Hoping to get back on the road again EARLY spring though. Anyway, that's my introduction of self to the group - so HELLO group!

Edited by kingskids

Richard & Sharon

For Sale - 2005 Freightliner Century RV Hauler

Truck-for-sale-smaller.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sharon - thought about you last week when I was making my crazy-shaped cross stitch storage basket! Thanks for the encouragement to actually USE the idea from the magazine! BTW, my batteries no longer fall out of the cabinet when I open it, thanks to my handy dandy new basket. biggrin.gif

No great ideas yet on where our forum chats should go, but do look forward to hearing more from you HDT gals.

Heidi

2007 2L Freightliner Century Condo, 14.0L Detroit, QD 6000
2013 Space Craft

Heidi - glad to know that it helped. We love ours! And good to hear from you. Every time I wash or wear my looney toons shirt, I think of the girls and their many questions regarding the shirt, and get a big chuckle! So where are you guys now and are you planning on coming to the TN rally? We'll have to email and catch up. Hugs to you, Robert, and our "adopted grandkids" - we miss you guys already! Take care...!

Richard & Sharon

Glad to hear you gals had a great time in Hutch! Would love to see more expanded and diversified information here. We plan to hold an RDBE gathering in Tennessee and I look forward to getting to meet ya'll! BTW my 95 year old Mom will be traveling with us this winter and to TN so she's looking forward to warm weather! Learned a neat trick during our Halloween noreaster snow storm. We have a platform top slide out step on the RV with 3 steps down all made of polished aluminum- when ice freezes on aluminum and you need to remove it to slide the steps in, pound it with a meat tenderizer mallet! Works great! My thought for the day. Better still stay out of the cold! :) Happy Birthday to all the scorpio gals! Davena RDBE#!

So Daveena - think we could get our own "section" of the forum (like the HDT section that has multiple threads)? That would enable us to branch out - and perhaps even draw in some of the "girly truck" ladies and maybe "convert them" thru the amount of fun that we have with our rigs and lifestyles? :P

You're very lucky to still have your mom! Lost mine to a stroke this last March - after being in a nursing home for a couple of years with Alzheimer's. Fell and broke the second hip, had surgery, and two weeks later had the stroke and passed away in two days. So even though at times she may or may not try your patience, just remember what a blessing still having your parents is! Lost my dad 6 months prior to mom, but I still have my stepmom thankfully... Anyway, looking forward to meeting you, Henry, and your sweet mom!

Sharon

Richard & Sharon

Hi Sharon, That's a great idea and I for one would love it. I think if we could better aquaint the gals with the forum and how to use it we would see more activity. At that point we would have a better argument to support creating our own more diversified forum. I think some of the women are convinced the forum is for the testosterone bunch only since most of them live on it 24/7. If they are a 1 computer couple that puts a damper on browsing time :) It would be a great topic at the next rally and maybe even do a demo on how to get on and use it! Getting the RV road ready for its trek south before the winter storms arrive! BTW I wonder if that little pink bus referenced above is handicapped accessible. Low small steps are ok but some are high and that's difficult for Mom. We'll see, she's a good sport! CU in TN. Davena

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I know testosterones don't belong on this thread, so this is only a "hit and run". Yes the RDBE #1 had this "blessed" event that occurs only once annually Our children and yours truly decided that a Japanese joint geographically centered to all concerned would do nicely.

The Chefs in the place were quite motivated starting with requisite pyrotechnics.

2749855980096176628S600x600Q85.jpg

The granddaughters were quite impressed as was Davena's 95 year old mother, who by the way will be making with us a Florida trip and is "planning" to attend ECR in Tenn. in May.

Sake was liberally dispensed to those of legal age. That's my daughter in law, husband approves, her daughter approves and the niece is amazed.

2276670160096176628S600x600Q85.jpg

The Chef figured that this was a "cooperative" table so he decided to go around. That's our youngest son. That's the longest granddaughter looking at her favorite uncle and occasional babysitter.

2247415360096176628S600x600Q85.jpg

The oldest son of course had to show his two younger brothers who was still the top dog when it came to the sake consumption. Note the other guest "sake-ed" by the other chef

2870813630096176628S600x600Q85.jpg

Once the meal was over, it was properly "concluded".

2079850160096176628S600x600Q85.jpg

hjs

• 4 months later...

Well ladies - with Tennessee just around the corner - how about we revive this thread? I still think getting our own section outside the HDT in the forum would be fun and a good place to visit with other ladies who aren't on the "dark side" yet... So what has anyone got to say as we launch this section into action again? A special RDBE section out in the "general" part of the forum...??

Richard & Sharon

Well ladies - with Tennessee just around the corner - how about we revive this thread? I still think getting our own section outside the HDT in the forum would be fun and a good place to visit with other ladies who aren't on the "dark side" yet... So what has anyone got to say as we launch this section into action again? A special RDBE section out in the "general" part of the forum...??

I'm new here but, not new to the Escapees Forums. I agree that RDBE should have its own section. Being within the HDT section, for me, it gets lost.

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

There is not enough activity for its own section. Y'all ARE a part of HDT so it makes sense to keep it here....at least to me. But, hey, I'm just a lowly "male" :)

My suggestion is to create a private Facebook or Google+ "group" and use that.....it is better suited to back and forth dialog, IMO. Plus, you can keep the "riff-raff" out of it.....if it is private.

And, ladies, don't forget that Danielle and I are doing a "for ladies ONLY" seminar/Q&A at the National HDT Rally. ALL topics are game: fulltiming, trailers, hookup procedures, truck stuff...anything you can think of. This seminar is by popular request, and has been a hit at other Rallies. NO MEN (other than me :)) will be allowed in the room. Not even to watch.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks Raquel - you get it... Jack, no offense, but you don't get the point. Part of the point is that we have lots of things we can discuss and the various conversations get lost in the "single thread format of RDBE", and the other point is that ladies that do not (yet?) own HDTs would never come over here and see how much fun we have and that gals can drive these things (and they're not as scary as they would think). It's part "recruitment" and part "rabbit chasing". Facebook or other social media would immediately loose me and probably some others, as I don't do any of that stuff and don't intend to start. There would be enough activity I believe to have our own section outside of HDT, because if we were there, other ladies would chime in and join us - where they won't if we're hidden away in the HDT section. See??

Calling the section Ladies Only - (RDBE rigs driven by estrogen") would peak their interest I think... :)

Richard & Sharon

Sharon, I understand your point completely. But IMO there is not enough activity to create a Forum exclusively for RBDE activity. But hey, I don't want to discourage you - you would have to get Escapees to establish it for you. They are the owners of the site.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks Raquel - you get it... Jack, no offense, but you don't get the point. Part of the point is that we have lots of things we can discuss and the various conversations get lost in the "single thread format of RDBE", and the other point is that ladies that do not (yet?) own HDTs would never come over here and see how much fun we have and that gals can drive these things (and they're not as scary as they would think). It's part "recruitment" and part "rabbit chasing". Facebook or other social media would immediately loose me and probably some others, as I don't do any of that stuff and don't intend to start. There would be enough activity I believe to have our own section outside of HDT, because if we were there, other ladies would chime in and join us - where they won't if we're hidden away in the HDT section. See??

Calling the section Ladies Only - (RDBE rigs driven by estrogen") would peak their interest I think... :)

Sharon,

Since it seems that we're included in the HDT forum, at least for now, how about if we start posting to the HDT forum in individual posts/questions/topics, like the rest of the forum, instead of one huge run-on topic? Perhaps we could preface the topics with "RDBE-"??

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

Well, how about this idea? If not a forum just for RDBE, how about making a new Post called RDBE and making it a sticky? I personally do not contribute to this thread because it is so hard to find. If it were a sticky, then I could find it more easily, you know? I think there would be more activity if it were more visible and easily attainable. And if the thread grows then perhaps a forum can be created.

Also, I think we need to be reminded this resource is here. I had forgotten until Davena sent an email last week. Maybe Davena or someone can do a quarterly update? i dont' know, just thinking out loud here.

I am RickW’s amazing wife from Wylie, TX. In 2009, we made our first trek to the HDT Rally in KS in an LGT. The next year we arrived in a 2004 Volvo 780 (465hp and 10sp Auto Shift). In 2017, we transitioned into an Entegra Anthem to suit our lifestyle. We have a home and travel as often as we can, mainly to Yellowstone and other National Parks with our cats and dog, Bailey Mae. 

Alicia - you have a great point - I almost always have to do a search to find this thread if it's been a while since someone posted. They guys post SO MANY threads on the HDT section that our piddly little one thread gets lost in the maze (not complaining about their posting - it's important stuff, but our topics can be important to us as well). A sticky would be great, but if we stepped outside the HDT section and had our own section, we'd lure in ladies that are not big truck gals (yet!!!) and let them see that these trucks aren't scary and we have a LOT of fun with the trucks and the lifestyle, and the safety of having enough truck to pull and stop the trailers... It would be multi purpose - part recruitment into the dark side, partly just having more ideas when we are discussing a particular topic. After all, the more the merrier when it comes to a bunch of ladies chatting huh!?

Richard & Sharon

It would be nice to have a ladies section but doesn't only have to be about driving. It could combine with the recipes, household hints, driving.....anything that we just want ladies to respond to. It could be for giving encouragement, answering questions etc. without the in depth answers the men need..... :D I quit reading the RDBE a long time ago as it was mostly birthday wishes and not

really any information.

And any lady could contribute, not just truck gals, but gals who drive motorhomes too.

It would be nice to have a ladies section but doesn't only have to be about driving. It could combine with the recipes, household hints, driving.....anything that we just want ladies to respond to. It could be for giving encouragement, answering questions etc. without the in depth answers the men need..... :D I quit reading the RDBE a long time ago as it was mostly birthday wishes and not

really any information.

And any lady could contribute, not just truck gals, but gals who drive motorhomes too.

I like that too, I think Sharon was speaking along these lines as well. Well, maybe I need to bookmark this thread and start posting on it to get the count number up, even if just random cat photos. :)

I am RickW’s amazing wife from Wylie, TX. In 2009, we made our first trek to the HDT Rally in KS in an LGT. The next year we arrived in a 2004 Volvo 780 (465hp and 10sp Auto Shift). In 2017, we transitioned into an Entegra Anthem to suit our lifestyle. We have a home and travel as often as we can, mainly to Yellowstone and other National Parks with our cats and dog, Bailey Mae. 

Yep, that's what I had in mind - stuff "other than truck stuff" - anything and everything - from recipes to organizational tips, to craft ideas, to... Whatever. Us gals never have any problem finding things to talk about do we?? The guys sure don't!

Well, off to tidy up for tomorrow's departure for another 7 hours or so on the road. Alabama's crappie are jumping with excitement at us trying to catch them and throw them in a hot pan... At least I HOPE so! Later gals... Have a great evening.

Sharon

Richard & Sharon

Well, how about this idea? If not a forum just for RDBE, how about making a new Post called RDBE and making it a sticky? I personally do not contribute to this thread because it is so hard to find. If it were a sticky, then I could find it more easily, you know? I think there would be more activity if it were more visible and easily attainable. And if the thread grows then perhaps a forum can be created.

Also, I think we need to be reminded this resource is here. I had forgotten until Davena sent an email last week. Maybe Davena or someone can do a quarterly update? i dont' know, just thinking out loud here.

It reminds me of the old chicken and egg question. Which came first?

Trish & Raquel

--------

Trish and I just got back from a wonderful weekend at a nearby (55 miles) lake. We're not full-time yet, and we don't have our trailer yet. but we have our truck!:) It's a little close for living but, we had a really good time.

Trish & Raquel

--------

Well we had a NOT so lovely time of trying to getting 70' of truck and trailer around a way too tight corner, and blocking traffic both directions for about an hour while Richard had to BACK up the hill and around the curve. There was a VERY small sign where we turned off the main hwy that said "no 18 wheelers" - well heck - first, neither of us saw it, and secondly, we are not an 18 wheeler. Alabama needs to take a page out of the Colorado book and say something like "no vehicles over 35 feet" - now that's an instruction that any moron can understand. Even if we had seen it, we wouldn't have thought it meant us - we only have 12 wheels, and we think that means the 80,000 pound guys, not us 24,000 ones! NOT a pleasant day. Note to self - call the rv park in the future to see if there's a "preferred" way to get there - the gps is notorious for sending us the wrong way. Time to look into a truckers gps I think!

Drive safe everyone - happy trails,

Sharon

Richard & Sharon

Well we had a NOT so lovely time of trying to getting 70' of truck and trailer around a way too tight corner, and blocking traffic both directions for about an hour while Richard had to BACK up the hill and around the curve. There was a VERY small sign where we turned off the main hwy that said "no 18 wheelers" - well heck - first, neither of us saw it, and secondly, we are not an 18 wheeler. Alabama needs to take a page out of the Colorado book and say something like "no vehicles over 35 feet" - now that's an instruction that any moron can understand. Even if we had seen it, we wouldn't have thought it meant us - we only have 12 wheels, and we think that means the 80,000 pound guys, not us 24,000 ones! NOT a pleasant day. Note to self - call the rv park in the future to see if there's a "preferred" way to get there - the gps is notorious for sending us the wrong way. Time to look into a truckers gps I think!

Drive safe everyone - happy trails,

Sharon

Ooeeewww ... doesn't sound like fun at all. I think that I would have figured it didn't pertain to us. Trish says she would think that it was meant for us. In that case, I guess it would have been up to whomever was driving at the time. A trucker's GPS came with with our truck when we bought it but, we don't have our trailer yet. Half the time we don't pay attention to its warnings about going down a road because we're bobtail. However, I think it's probably a good thing to have, especially with these giants.

Edited by Raquel

Trish & Raquel

--------

Well we had a NOT so lovely time of trying to getting 70' of truck and trailer around a way too tight corner, and blocking traffic both directions for about an hour while Richard had to BACK up the hill and around the curve.

Oh, Sharon, You just lived though one of my nightmares! I am glad it ended up okay. ~Susan

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

We're looking for a program for the Ipad for a truckers gps as we're not really wanting to get a separate stand alone unit if possible. Still researching, but definitely MORE interested in finding it now! And yes, it had been one of our nightmares too, and not that it's "out of the way" - it would be nice if we didn't have to repeat it, but the odds aren't in our favor...

Drive safe ladies!

Sharon

Richard & Sharon

We're looking for a program for the Ipad for a truckers gps as we're not really wanting to get a separate stand alone unit if possible. Still researching, but definitely MORE interested in finding it now! And yes, it had been one of our nightmares too, and not that it's "out of the way" - it would be nice if we didn't have to repeat it, but the odds aren't in our favor...

Drive safe ladies!

Sharon

We really like Google Navigator on our Android and have been trying to find truck navigation to work with it, but have been drawing a big blank. So, we finally gave up and bought lifetime updates for our Garmin. :(

Trish & Raquel

--------