How many of you put a "Y" on the hydrant or City water source?

How many of you put a "Y" on the hydrant or City water source?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you put a "Y" on the hydrant or City water source?

• Yes always
    • Sometimes
    • Never

HxrBrHYl.jpeg

My answer is "Sometimes", but not all that often. 

It's been a while since the last time and I left one of my "Y" connectors at the last place I was before here. (or maybe a couple of places ago)

I stopped at a "Tractor Supply" store and picked up the least expensive one. Got home and started to install it, but decided the paper tag attached needed to go away (in the trans and not in the wind), so I pulled it off and the started to read it. I will be attaching a photo, but if you cannot read the warning, here it is in quotes below. 

"Warning: Contains lead. May be harmful if eaten or chewed. May generate dust containing lead. Keep out of the reach of children." 

And of course it was made in China. 

Fast forward to today. I visited 3 different retailers looking for a "Y" for "Potable Water". I found NONE. All were for "outside use only" do not connect to "appliances". "Cold water use only". 

Is this something New, have these warnings been present and I just pulled the tag and threw it away, thinking they had to be for drinking water? 

Oh and to top it off the local "ACE Hardware" said I could order it "on line maybe" and have it shipped to the store. I said I already came to your store, you didn't have it. If I have to order it I will have it shipped to my location. They said "They Charge extra for that now". Oh and BTW so does a lot of other places now. 

Rant over for now. 

Rod

Edited by lappir
forgot to add photo.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I use a Wye but it is aluminum and, frankly, in as much as I grew up drinking water out of garden hoses I have never given it much thought. If you want something that that is drinking water safe make one yourself from water pipe parts from Lowes or HD.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

If you go with a brass one, they won't have much, if any lead at all. I went with one of them a lot of years ago, as I have with pretty much all of my water fittings for either potable water or out in the garden. Like Chalkie, I really didn't do that so much for lead as to stop buying replacements, over and over. I actually have a spare one that I found left behind by a previous occupant of an RV site. I also use a brass elbow where the water hose connects to the side of the RV. Camco has one and I'd expect to find it in many RV supply stores. Amazon has several of them.

61+iNvUhnrL._AC_UL348_SR348,348_.jpg71iNLcR+cwL._AC_UL348_SR348,348_.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Even the brass ones I looked at had a similar warning. I did not go to an RV store and have yet to visit the Home Depot. Might do that Saturday when I'm sort of close to it already. 

Thanks for the replies. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

12 hours ago, lappir said:

Even the brass ones I looked at had a similar warning.

The one from Camco states:

About this item

• Stainless steel quarter-turn pressure seated shut-off valves
  • Features easy-grip valve handles and hose connection
  • Easy to use and durable
  • Solid brass housing
  • CSA low lead content certified. Complies with California's AB1953 and Vermont Act 193 Low Lead Laws
  • Fit type: Universal Fit

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, ms60ocb said:

I use a Y if I only have one Park connection point.

Clay

That's the case at the park I've been at all winter. Never had a neighbor till the "Circus Came to Town" and then had several for a week. I had just filled my fresh tank so told them to not worry about me and I was fine. I was getting ready to pressure was the rig and thought I might as well get another Y, but now I will just unhook after topping off the fresh tank and leave the other hose connected till I'm done. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

I use one all the time, even here at The Ranch, where each of the two water pipes on our lot has two faucets. The reason is that I have quick connect fittings on everything, so I screw the wye on and then everything else is quick connect.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Just checked what I have and my (y) is brass. Don't know how much lead might be in it.  I do know the house I was brought up in, built in the early 1930s had a short lead pipe connection.  Did drink, bathe and eat whatever was prepared with it from 1955-75 when my parents moved.  Our water had high lime content which scalded in water pipes.  I wonder it that would have reduced or prevented leaching of the lead into the water supply?

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

I only use a wye when staying long-term. Every wye I have said drinking water safe on the tag, even the brass 5 hookup wye I bought for use at a rodeo grounds CG with once central spigot for every 20 spaces. Then other campers would use their wye on the end of their hose to feed another camper. If everyone did that, 25 campers had access to water from that one hydrant to re-fill their fresh water tank.

The CG had a honey-dipper to empty waste tanks.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

18 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I only use a wye when staying long-term. Every wye I have said drinking water safe on the tag, even the brass 5 hookup wye I bought for use at a rodeo grounds CG with once central spigot for every 20 spaces. Then other campers would use their wye on the end of their hose to feed another camper. If everyone did that, 25 campers had access to water from that one hydrant to re-fill their fresh water tank.

The CG had a honey-dipper to empty waste tanks.

I'm sure the ones I've used in the past were drinking water safe. But it's been a long time since I bought one. The County Fairgrounds where I've stayed in the past (not during the Fair). does the same thing. They are packed in very tightly for that week and the two or three hydrants have maybe 50 hoses hooked to each. Most do fill their tanks, but some don't and complain about the pressure. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Y however I have it is after the water filter.  The water filter with it's flexible hose is connected to the parks water, then the pressure regulator and then the Y. 

Just last week I replaced my regulator with one I bought new 3 years ago. I noticed on the package it said "Lead Free" but on the back warning label it said it may contain lead. 🙃   My Y is brass. 

Steve and Jill

1999 Lazy Daze 26.5 MB

Florida Resident

5 hours ago, segare said:

I use a Y however I have it is after the water filter.  The water filter with it's flexible hose is connected to the parks water, then the pressure regulator and then the Y. 

Just last week I replaced my regulator with one I bought new 3 years ago. I noticed on the package it said "Lead Free" but on the back warning label it said it may contain lead🙃   My Y is brass. 

Many times these warnings, whether there is cause for concern or not, are at the behest of the lawyers thanks to our litigious society. It seems like virtually anything that is sold in California carries a Prop 65 warning which we all see no matter where else we are.

1 hour ago, Chalkie said:

Many times these warnings, whether there is cause for concern or not, are at the behest of the lawyers thanks to our litigious society. It seems like virtually anything that is sold in California carries a Prop 65 warning which we all see no matter where else we are.

I guess the solution is just to get out of California.  :P

20 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

I guess the solution is just to get out of California.  :P

I'm not in California. It is easier for manufacturers to print one warning label that satisfies the legalities of a product in all the places it is going to be sold. Thus, here in Texas we are blessed with Prop 65 warnings.

5 hours ago, Chalkie said:

I'm not in California. It is easier for manufacturers to print one warning label that satisfies the legalities of a product in all the places it is going to be sold. Thus, here in Texas we are blessed with Prop 65 warnings.

Maybe that's in hopes of keep us itinerants out of California?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van