Can I use this Pocket Hose Copper Bullet expanding hose for city water and fresh water fill?

It's aggravating to me to have to wrestle my 25' and 50' white RV hoses into and out of the storage bay, make sure they're not kinked etc. They take up a ton of room in my 25' Class C.  It's my least favorite part of setup and breaking camp. 

I'd love to use this one instead. Thoughts? FWIW I asked in a couple FB forums for RVers and got mixed answers. A few swear by them and said they used them without issue; more people said they weren't certified for potable water and couldn't take the water pressure. (product description says it has a max of 650 pounds/sq in; and it's lead-free)

image.jpeg.9b47e388a5fd118f1c8f40b3dbf7f880.jpeg

https://www.copperbullethose.com/Home

https://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Hose-AS-SEEN-Lead-Free-Lightweight/dp/B0C8PKGVHR/

Edited by amarie1
added product name for searching

2018 Forest River Sunseeker 2290SC
25 feet, Chevy Express 4500
"Angie" (short for Angel)

• amarie1 changed the title to Can I use this Pocket Hose Copper Bullet expanding hose for city water and fresh water fill?

I have used a couple of those type hoses, but not for drinking water. They are OK, but have several limitations. I personally don't drink water from a "Hose" anymore. I will use it to brush my teeth, but it doesn't go into my coffee, tea or any thing that requires dilution before serving. The last one I used lasted maybe 100 uses and then got a few pinholes in it from unknown sources. It was several years old, but spent most of it's life in my Mother's garage and was only used by me when I visited during the summers. She passed and I used it for another couple years in a similar fashion, but in a different location. Will most likely still use, because the small leaks don't cause me significant issues and I use it only to supply water to my pressure washer. One of the limitations is the loss of pressure if you are trying to use it by itself to wash a car, motorcycle or driveway. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I got some that were drinking water safe, and have used them frequently.  Only had one blow out, and when it did, it flooded the campsite before I got the water shut off.  I think the brand I bought was Sun Joe, or Aqua Joe.

Edited by chindog

Mike and Retha Hopkins

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G

Now some of these hoses can be purchased with a 600# burst strength. I use one around my house regularly_well, in warm weather; and the add is right it doesn't kink but you can tie in a knot and still have water flow.. It's available in 25,50,75, and 100' lengths, IMO the 50' hose is just right, but if you prefer, buy 2 25' hoses, as normally a 25' is all I usually need.

My  50' is light and easy to store, but when wet it's like trying to carry a handful of spaghetti.

The copperbullet is old technology though,The BionicFlex hose only changes from flat to round without increasing in size. It has Stainless Steel ends and the box was marked drinking water safe.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I would never use one of those pocket hoses because they are not certified for drinking water. I have used Zero G hoses now for several years. When they are drained of water they are very lightweight and flexible, and best of all, they are safe for drinking water. You can find them at Lowes and other places. Here is a link from the manufacturer: https://www.apexhose.com/lightweight-hose-zero-g/

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Chalkie, thanks. I followed the link, and it appears they have two types of Zero-G, one for residential, one for RV/Marine. I can't see a difference between the two from their site. 

Is yours an RV/Marine one?

In case I haven't been clear, I need this for both filling the fresh tank AND (more frequently) for hooking up to city water, so it'd be under pressure for days. Yes I do have a regulator that keeps the pressure 45-60 psi.

AM

2018 Forest River Sunseeker 2290SC
25 feet, Chevy Express 4500
"Angie" (short for Angel)

4 hours ago, amarie1 said:

Chalkie, thanks. I followed the link, and it appears they have two types of Zero-G, one for residential, one for RV/Marine. I can't see a difference between the two from their site. 

Is yours an RV/Marine one?

In case I haven't been clear, I need this for both filling the fresh tank AND (more frequently) for hooking up to city water, so it'd be under pressure for days. Yes I do have a regulator that keeps the pressure 45-60 psi.

AM

I got mine at Lowe's so I am thinking it must be the residential type. The only thing I can think of that might differentiate the two is that RV one is blue, otherwise they seem the same. I would not worry about keeping them under pressure as I have done that for months at a time when we are stationary. Unless the city water is really high like over 100 psi I think it would be fine.

Edited by Chalkie

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Shouldn't a standard pressurer regulator be used on all hoses?

I would be ok using it to fill a water tank but I would never leave one lying on the ground in the sun full of water. Yuck. No hose should ever be packed away with water in it. That's asking for nasties to multiply in a warm dark environment.

1 hour ago, bruce t said:

Shouldn't a standard pressurer regulator be used on all hoses?

I put my regulator after the first filter and water softer, resulting better water pressure at the faucet. I don't a good measure of the difference but I need better pressure gauge, Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

On 1/24/2024 at 10:00 PM, Payroll Person said:

Bionic flex manual says do not leave under pressure when not in use. Would still work for me as I only use hose to fill tank, not as constant feed. 

Right, just like the vast majority of other water hoses. I have however left it pressurized for about ½ a day in summer sun without harm. I did that while still under warranty and within the Amazon return period just to  insure it would withstand my 110# home water pressure under hot sun.

Like I said my only complaint is when wet it's like trying to carry a handful of wet spaghetti.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We have a water softener and only use our fresh water tank. I connect one hose to the faucet and the other to the trailer. When the tank is full I put the hoses away.

When I fill I also dump. Again, the stinky slinky comes out, is hooked up, tanks are emptied, and hose is put away.

I doubt that any of our hoses have been out for more than thirty minutes at any one time. Why not stay hooked up? Sun, tripping hazards, and we like to have very little out just in case.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

1 hour ago, kb0zke said:

we like to have very little out just in case.

And so I didn't try to drive off while still hooked up. I boondocked a lot so bringing in a water hose was not a regular part of my departure process.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van