New truck

Cheyenne1

Well couldn’t pass this one up.  Pretty much exactly what I wanted.    
Right gears, locking diff.   2019 Peterbilt 579.   Was hoping for something other than white though.  
I even found a trailer saver for it this evening.  
Should have lots of time this winter to get the axle out and a deck made for my razor 

now I just need to sell my old one.  

E1AFE040-2CD7-48C1-A537-4D80888978BF.jpeg

I have the smart-air. Not a good system. The ac is very weak and it even states in the manual to cool the truck with the prime mover first, then use the smart air to help maintain the temp. So it is really only a temp reducer, not much of an ac.

ET transport brings in some good info on choosing an apu. You likely already have plans for a system of your own design, but if you want to see some numbers for added info, here's a youtube video from ET on the subject. Ya, I know they have something worked out between them, but the dollar figures were fun to see.

I'm a work'n on it.

• 4 weeks later...

Two of the trucks I bought had APU's installed and neither worked. On a truck that has infrequent use I personally think they are a waste of money. 

Now my neighbor at the HDT rally with his Mini Split installed because his onboard A/C in the truck stopped working I would really think about trying. I don't recall his name, but I think I have a couple photos of the outside unit. Never asked to see the inside, probably should have. 

Rod

ps couldn't find the photos. 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Well the place I bought the truck wanted the front axle. 
Saved me all the work of removing it. No charge to remove it and install the hanger and driveshaft.  
What could be better than that???

I am not sure I want to store the wheels and tires.  The new style drivelines are quite expensive so I told them they can have them and we will work out a deal on the drive line. 
This shop does a lot of frame modifications, adding axles , specializes in mostly farm trucks, beet and grain hauling.   They also make their own grain and gravel boxes.   
Very impressive place.  
I have been doing business with them for a long time.  
You will be hard pressed to find a farm without one of there boxes on it.  

On 1/19/2024 at 8:14 AM, Soontoretire said:

Who and where is it?

It’s in Canada. Loadline is the company. 
And why not a  Volvo?  
Well personally, I am not a Volvo fan.  I never really cared to work on them or drive them. Don’t like their electrical , or drive train. 
Maybe it’s a ford vs chev thing.  Not sure.  
My last truck a 387 Peterbilt I pulled my camper with for 12 years.  Was great. And if it was practical, this one would have a longer hood on it.  
Got my new truck home today.  So a bit it work left before spring. 

Kirk is right, the only need for a CDL is when driving for profit or gain. Plus, a CDL comes with restrictions.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Depending on the weight of the combination (truck + fifth wheel) and the state you live in, you *might* need an upgraded driver's license, but it won't be a CDL which is for commercial drivers. 

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

All the above answers are correct, in most states.  NONE of them are correct in ALL states.  At least one, Arizona, requires a CDL to drive one of these trucks because they won't register them as anything other than commercial.

So, go the the Heavy Haulers Resource Guide near the top of this forum and look up the requirement for the state in which you domicile.  That'll get you headed down the right road.

I'll give you the examples of where we live, on the Ohio/Indiana border.  Fortunately, both states have the same laws/requirements.  We paid a small fee to file an affidavit saying our truck was fitted with permanent bed for sleeping, table, with seating, for dining, icebox or refrigerator, and cook range or oven.  Handed the paper over (no inspection) and got issue a motorhome title.  Simple as that.  No cdl, no IFTA, no kidding.

Good luck with your search.  And while the HHRG is a bit dated and cumbersome at first, it's a valuable tool.

Oh, and WELCOME!!!!!

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

And,....check with your insurance company. You may need to do some real research and changes to your insurance needs over all. It's important to find a good, experienced agent that can guide you through the process. It can be truly amazing how much can be saved when your agent knows how to combine policies.

Then, look into a roadside service program. Some can use AAA, some Sam's club, and many, like me, use Coachnet.

I'm a work'n on it.

It’s ok here in Manitoba where live. I just licensed my truck and put insurance on. 
Basically insure as you declare it. 

To drive it here. You can drive any 2 axle truck with a class 5 (car licences ) you only need air brakes.   If you are pulling a trailer over 10,000 gvw you need a class 3 license 

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2024 at 4:12 PM, Kirk W said:

You don't need a CDL to tow an RV. 

Wow, I always thought driving one of those Big rigs like the OP’s required one. Thank you. I have a Class A but I saw a 5th wheel that better suits my needs.  Thanks everyone. I have been doing some research on moving so I will add it to the criteria. 

30 minutes ago, Cmecatchu2 said:

I always thought driving one of those Big rigs like the OP’s required one.

If you plan to keep your domicile in NJ you should check with the DMV there to see just what the laws are for driver's license and registration. Here in TX it depends on the total weight of the RV combination. If you have not done so, you should visit an RV show to get a feel for what the RV you want will cost you. You can look at the ads in Escapees RV Market place to get some feel for the cost of used trucks and trailers.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 1/22/2024 at 8:35 AM, Deezl Smoke said:

Then, look into a roadside service program. Some can use AAA, some Sam's club, and many, like me, use Coachnet.

I see you’re singling so the roadside assistance packages should cover you but check and get it in writing.  The three listed will not cover you if you are tandem.  Do not believe their representative on the phone without verifying because half of them don’t know what they do and don’t cover.  I went to the top of the chain with Good Sam before finding out my tandem hadn’t been covered for four years.  Luckily I didn’t have to use it, but I didn’t get my premiums back either.  BTW most people think these are insurance.  They are service contracts not insurance and function under different regulations.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"