COVID Map Shows 9 States Where Positive Tests Are Rising

"The highest rates of people testing positive for COVID-19 are in Texas and the states that surround it, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

About 15 percent of COVID tests in the U.S. were positive in the week ending August 26, the most recent week of federal data, up 1.4 percent from the previous week.

Five states—Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Louisiana and Arkansas—had the highest test positivity at 20.8 percent, according to CDC data. In Texas, a ban on mask mandates went into effect earlier in September.

Those states were followed by Nevada, Hawaii, California, and Arizona, which all had 16.1 percent of tests come back positive that week."

Map and more here:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/covid-map-shows-9-states-where-positive-tests-are-rising/ar-AA1gnXxM

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

The article is giving awareness that COVID is on the rise again.  People of intelligence will follow the science and get their vaccinations and wear masks when in public crowds.  Even if the vaccine is only 80% effective, it improves your odds on not getting COVID.  I just avoid anti-vac and anti-mask folks.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

HEALTH AND SCIENCE  PUBLISHED FRI, SEP 1 2023

When to wear masks as Covid cases rise, new variants emerge in the U.S.

KEY POINTS
  • An uptick in Covid cases and hospitalizations in the U.S., and the emergence of new variants of the virus, are prompting questions about whether it’s time for Americans to start masking up again. 
  • People infected with Covid should wear masks around others to prevent the spread of the virus.
  • For those not infected, the decision to mask depends on a few things. That includes your personal risk level, Covid rates in your region and who you might make contact with, experts said.  
Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

21 hours ago, sandsys said:

Um. You only take a test if you think you are positive or you need for to prepare for an event--like surgery--so why wouldn't most of them be positive?

Linda,

Just saw this. The data is not collected from home testing necessarily but from medical testing. If you get a positive test at home most folks would then go see their, or a, doctor for treatment. Since the home tests are less accurate and the user may cause false positives or negatives, docs will do another test because tests in medical labs are more accurate they will test you to be sure and treat or not accordingly.

For example I got tested knowing the new variants are increasing and more transmissible. I was pretty sure it was allergies as with the rainy summer here the plants have gone bonkers and docs are saying they have been inundated. Here the local VA clinic has a daily COVID testing station in their parking lot. from 10am -2:00pm. So when I got a runny nose and a tickle in my nose and throat for several days I drove there and I was the only one there so it took just  couple of minutes and they emailed and called me the next day to let me know my test was negative.

EZPZ.

I also got the RSV Vaccine and my flu shot last week and will be getting the new bbooster that is not for the newest variant of COVID but is for some the booster in 2021/22 did not cover. They are rushing new vaccines after that for the newest very transmissible variants. So I will likely be getting two boosters in the next few months.

Not a problem as I am not afraid of shots and vaccines. We had many more in the military and nary an issue, not even from the dreaded Anthrax vaccine.

I had a terrible case of Swine Flu in 1975/76/77 I forget exactly which year but I was about 24 y/o give or take. I will never ever forget how sick I was. But I don't remember ever getting more than a sore arm overnight or two at most, and not bad the second day.

Having given thousands of shots, blood draws, and starting IVs I can tell you from my experience it is more the big guys that turn pale green, sweaty, pass out, or even get shocky and/or vomit. Even when I worked Peds ward there were less drama kings than with the adults. Oh sure some cried and tried to escape but I cannot remember one child turning green or getting shocky. I even did the basic training line a couple of times with no needle that shot the vaccine into the muscle with high pressure.

But I am masking in public indoors again. I got our 51st anniversary dinner take out and it was as good at home as in the restaurant, a Greek place called "The Purple Onion."

We wear masks so we can be around for our 60th.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

3 hours ago, usbusin said:

What mask can stop a virus? Normal mask openings are larger than virus.  

A picture is worth a thousand words. The virus is contained in droplets by and large. To survive the virus needs to stay moist/wet. So dry packages, letters, objects in a store etc. - like doorknobs, do not pass it along.

Infection depends on a large viral load of the virus and the masks lower the load with just my mask. Much less load if I am masked and the folks I am around wear masks. Large viral loads result in the more severe infections.

As well, if you check the statistics the cases of Influenza dropped way down to almost zero while most of us were masked. Coincidence?

GuXrdFa.jpg

Hope that helps.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

RV, there you go trying to confuse the anti-vaccine and anti-mask folks with science.  You should know that these folks do not believe in science.

Love your analogy.  

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

15 hours ago, usbusin said:

John Hopkins Medicine, Coronavirus Face Masks FAQs

N95s and KN95s masks are available to the public and, if worn consistently and properly, are effective to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.

This past Wednesday morning, Pam had an appointment with our primary care physician. She was told that here in Mesquite TX it is time for seniors and those with impaired immunity to seriously consider the use of masks again. Her recommendation was for places like elevators or crowded places and when in close contact with strangers it would be wise to use a mask, preferably of the N95 or KN95 variety. 

Edited by Kirk W

Perhaps some good news for those who are vaccinated and/or previously infected. But it is early research, we will see. I am taking all vaccines available and masking to be sure.

US CDC says existing antibodies can work against new COVID variant

Excerpt:

"(Reuters) - Early research data has shown that antibodies produced by prior infection or existing vaccines against the coronavirus were sufficient to protect against the new BA.2.86 variant, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said on Friday.

The Food and Drug Administration in the coming days is expected to authorize the updated vaccines that target the XBB.1.5 subvariant of Omicron, and early data provide encouraging signs for the new shots, CDC said.The public health agency added that the new BA.2.86 lineage of coronavirus was not driving the current increases in COVID cases and hospitalizations in the United States, but rather attributed it to other predominantly circulating viruses.

Since CDC's initial risk assessment last month, BA.2.86 has been identified in nine U.S. states as of Friday. The Omicron offshoot has also been identified from both human and wastewater specimens in countries including Japan, UK and Canada.

This is in contrast to CDC's comments in August that the new variant may be more capable than older variants in causing infection in people who have previously had COVID-19 or who have received vaccines."

Source:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/us-cdc-says-existing-antibodies-can-work-against-new-covid-variant/ar-AA1grHYu?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

It's everywhere, It's everywhere.  I'm on day 4 of virus and wife on day 6. We had flues that were worse, when younger and didn't have other weakness. My advise you have low immune, wear a mask in crowded or confined areas. What we learned, normally you be virus spreader2 days before you have symptoms to test positive.

Going forward our direction, Isolate 5 days after testing positive (All wearing mask if not alone), After first five days wear a mask when among others. Personal care a must, Wash your hands often, use lots of Disinfectant spray or wipes. Disposal gloves should be a part of tools.

Talk to your DR and stay healthy

Clay & Marcie

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

We were ready to get our RSV vaccine and I came down with what appeared to be a cold.  Looks like from the symptoms, I had a mild case of RSV.  Two days later my wife came down with the same thing.

After two weeks we are doing good, but we are at week 3 and still coughing up some gunk.  Luckily, we both had mild cases and little effect on our oxygen level.  

So get your RSV vaccination as well as flu and COVID.

Ken

7 minutes ago, TXiceman said:

Is your doctor recommending the shot even though you have had RSV? Just wondering as our doctor recommends that for Covid.

6 hours ago, ms60ocb said:

It's everywhere, It's everywhere.  I'm on day 4 of virus and wife on day 6. We had flues that were worse, when younger and didn't have other weakness. My advise you have low immune, wear a mask in crowded or confined areas. What we learned, normally you be virus spreader2 days before you have symptoms to test positive.

Going forward our direction, Isolate 5 days after testing positive (All wearing mask if not alone), After first five days wear a mask when among others. Personal care a must, Wash your hands often, use lots of Disinfectant spray or wipes. Disposal gloves should be a part of tools.

Talk to your DR and stay healthy

Clay & Marcie

Good advice and sorry to hear you guys are sick. Get well soon.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

1 hour ago, TXiceman said:

We were ready to get our RSV vaccine and I came down with what appeared to be a cold.  Looks like from the symptoms, I had a mild case of RSV.  Two days later my wife came down with the same thing.

After two weeks we are doing good, but we are at week 3 and still coughing up some gunk.  Luckily, we both had mild cases and little effect on our oxygen level.  

Ken

Good advice, I got mine.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Is your doctor recommending the shot even though you have had RSV? Just wondering as our doctor recommends that for Covid.

Family Doc recommend waiting 3 months before getting the RSV shot as I will have some natural immunity, but it will fade.  But do get the shot later.

Ken

I'm hearing that the COVID booster is available here now. I already got my RSV and Flu two weeks ago or so and will get the COVID booster tomorrow if available. Lynn has gotten none if them and will get two or all three tomorrow and let me know if the COVID is in stock.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

4 hours ago, RV_ said:

I'm hearing that the COVID booster is available here now. I already got my RSV and Flu two weeks ago or so and will get the COVID booster tomorrow if available. Lynn has gotten none if them and will get two or all three tomorrow and let me know if the COVID is in stock.

I just saw my internist today and she recommended not getting all three together.... do RSV separately.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

8 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

I just saw my internist today and she recommended not getting all three together.... do RSV separately.

Our internist just told us the same thing. Since we've tolerated the flu and COVID vaccines together in the past, it's OK to do that again - but wait at least a week to get the RSV.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

2 and Rob

We've done both the COVID and Flu together every year since COVID vaccine has been available. This year is the first I got the RSV, and I got the Flu and RSV together. Lynda is going to get hers today and we found the COVID booster is actually not available yet. So she is getting the RSV and the Flu together. She reacts a bit more than me to the Flu shot so we will see tonight and tomorrow.

Follow your doc's recommendations.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 9/8/2023 at 6:30 PM, usbusin said:

The N95 respirator stops the virus. The standard surgical mask will not, and is worn to help protect others, JIC the wearer has the SARS virus. It catches spray when the wearer coughs or sneezes or is talking.

Perhaps the best thing to do is wash your hands frequently and use hand sanitizer when washing is not convenient; the downside is, each time hand sanitizer is used it builds up on the hands along with normal dirt, which reduces the effectiveness of the sanitizer.

Remain 6' away from others to greatly reduce the chance of airborne droplets getting into your mucous areas, eyes, mouth and nose.

That map is not surprising. All those states that just endured 100+° weather are highest on the list.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961