AI is more likely to cause world doom than climate change, according to an AI expert

RV_

Excerpt:

"

If you've seen any science fiction movie, whether it's a classic like The Terminator or something more recent like Megan, you're probably familiar with the storyline where artificial intelligence threatens the world's safety.

Recent rapid advancements in AI kicked off by the release of ChatGPT may make those threats less of a fiction and more of a reality. 

AlsoI asked ChatGPT, Bing, and Bard what worries them. Google's AI went Terminator on me

Geoffrey Hinton, deemed as one of the "godfathers of AI" because of his essential contributions to the space, recently quit his position at Alphabet after a decade at the firm because he wanted to speak out about the risks of AI

In a recent interview with Reuters, Hinton went as far as comparing the risk of AI to those of climate change. 

"I wouldn't like to devalue climate change. I wouldn't like to say, 'You shouldn't worry about climate change.' That's a huge risk too," Hinton told Reuters. "But I think this might end up being more urgent." 

AlsoChatGPT and the new AI are wreaking havoc on cybersecurity in exciting and frightening ways

He isn't the first to vocalize concerns about the dangers of AI. Other tech leaders including Tesla CEO Elon Musk, Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, and Emad Mostaque, CEO of Stability AI signed a petition to put a halt to giant AI experiments."

More in the article here:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/ai-is-more-likely-to-cause-world-doom-than-climate-change-according-to-an-ai-expert/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

3 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

I miss that show . 

But , yeah . Things could easily go either way .

Or both ways.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

23 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

I miss that show . 

But , yeah . Things could easily go either way .

We bought the entire 5 seasons on Blu-ray for like $50.  Took us a year to go through them.  We've done that with a bunch of series...Rockford Files, Barney Miller, In the Heat of the Night, Northern Exposure...a bunch more.  Makes for good watching when there isn't anything else worth watching on...which is most of the time, it seems.

CA Dept of Fish & Wildlife (Ret)

US Navy (Ret)

2023 RAM 2500 Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi, 2x4, Reg cab, 8' bed, GVWR 10,000#, Cargo Cap 3913#, Tow Cap 15,540#

OK guys, you're gonna cause Al Gore to have apoplexy. Oh wait; he invented the internet, perhaps he has a solution for AI becoming dominant.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I am seeing AI produced everything already from regular folks like me who downloaded the now free AI systems.

Add AI, GB speed Internet broadband, Quantum computing,  and things could get bad or great very fast.

No holding it back.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

In my youth, I dreamed of being able to write music and literature while robots worked at the labour. Now, mankind is doomed to the labour, while robots pen music and literature. What happened?

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

18 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

In my youth, I dreamed of being able to write music and literature while robots worked at the labour. Now, mankind is doomed to the labour, while robots pen music and literature. What happened?

Too many people writing computer code and too few writing music and literature.

3 minutes ago, durangodon said:

Too many people writing computer code and too few writing music and literature.

I hear ya Don.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

24 minutes ago, justRich said:

It's no joke.

I used it yesterday with this question:
What are the campsites that are over 6,000 feet near Redding California?

This was using "Bard" by Google.  
It makes todays search engines look like stone age tools.

I tried it with a similar question and the response was largely junk. It listed Marylander RV Park on Aberdeen Proving Ground (an Army installation) as "family owned and operated." I asked for parks north and east of Baltimore and it gave me a number in the DC area and as far south as Annapolis - with more errors in the listings. I'll stick to the tools I've been using for now...

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Rich I am seeing both good and bad results. I signed up for Bard and chatGPT but have yet to make the time to go through them. Thanks for the info from experience.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Rob Bard does seem to give plain vanilla answers. I just asked it:

"Are AI tools being adopted by regular users or just IT Pros?" Here's its answer:

"AI tools are being adopted by both regular users and IT Pros. Regular users are adopting AI tools for a variety of tasks, such as:

• Personalizing their experiences online
  • Automating tasks
  • Making decisions
  • Gaining insights

IT Pros are adopting AI tools to help them with a variety of tasks, such as:

• Managing IT infrastructure
  • Securing data
  • Developing new applications
  • Providing customer support

The adoption of AI tools by regular users and IT Pros is growing rapidly. In fact, a recent study by Gartner predicts that by 2022, 40% of all customer interactions will be handled by AI. This growth is being driven by the increasing availability of AI tools, the falling cost of AI technology, and the growing recognition of the benefits of AI.

Here are some of the benefits of AI tools:

• AI tools can automate tasks, freeing up time for users to focus on more important things.
  • AI tools can make decisions more quickly and accurately than humans.
  • AI tools can provide insights that would be difficult or impossible for humans to obtain.
  • AI tools can be used to personalize experiences, making them more relevant and engaging.

As AI tools continue to evolve, we can expect to see even more adoption by regular users and IT Pros. AI has the potential to revolutionize the way we live and work, and it is already starting to do so."

So it seems to be hit or miss.

Another:

What would an EMP strike do to the USA?

"An EMP strike would have a devastating impact on the United States. An EMP, or electromagnetic pulse, is a burst of high-energy radiation that can damage electronic devices. A nuclear EMP strike would be caused by a nuclear explosion in the atmosphere, while a non-nuclear EMP strike could be caused by a solar flare or a man-made device.

The effects of an EMP strike would be widespread and long-lasting. The first effects would be felt on the power grid, which would be knocked out by the EMP. This would lead to widespread blackouts, which would in turn cause chaos and disruption.

Other electronic devices would also be damaged by an EMP. This would include computers, cell phones, and other electronic appliances. Without these devices, people would be unable to communicate, travel, or access information.

The economic impact of an EMP strike would be severe. The loss of power and electronic devices would cause businesses to close and people to lose their jobs. This would lead to a recession, which would further damage the economy.

The social impact of an EMP strike would also be severe. People would be scared and confused, and there would be looting and violence. This would create a breakdown in law and order, which would make it difficult to recover from the attack.

An EMP strike would be a major disaster for the United States. The effects would be widespread and long-lasting, and it would take years to recover.

Here are some of the specific effects of an EMP strike:

• Power outages: An EMP would cause widespread power outages, as it would damage power lines and transformers. This would leave millions of people without power, and it would take weeks or even months to restore power to everyone.
  • Communication outages: An EMP would also cause widespread communication outages, as it would damage cell phone towers, radio stations, and other communication infrastructure. This would make it difficult for people to communicate with each other, and it would also make it difficult for first responders to coordinate their efforts.
  • Transportation disruptions: An EMP would also cause transportation disruptions, as it would damage traffic lights, railway signals, and other transportation infrastructure. This would make it difficult for people to get around, and it would also make it difficult for businesses to operate.
  • Economic damage: An EMP would cause billions of dollars in economic damage, as it would damage businesses and infrastructure. This would lead to job losses, a recession, and a decline in the standard of living.
  • Social unrest: An EMP would also lead to social unrest, as people would be scared and confused. This could lead to looting, violence, and a breakdown in law and order.

The effects of an EMP strike would be devastating for the United States. It is important to be prepared for such an event, and to have a plan in place in case it does happen."

I then gave it a follow up question intentionally misspelling and adding typos to see what it did:

"Coulkd NOrth Korea or another third world nation attack us weith an EMP strike easily?

"North Korea and other third-world nations could potentially attack the United States with an EMP strike, but it is not clear how easy it would be for them to do so.

North Korea has a nuclear weapons program, and it is possible that they could detonate a nuclear weapon in the atmosphere over the United States. This would create an EMP that could damage electronic devices across the country.

However, North Korea does not have a very accurate delivery system for its nuclear weapons. They would need to be able to launch a nuclear-armed missile that could reach the United States, and they would also need to be able to hit their target accurately.

It is also possible that North Korea could use a non-nuclear EMP weapon to attack the United States. A non-nuclear EMP weapon could be created using a high-altitude detonation of a conventional explosive. This would create an EMP that would be less powerful than a nuclear EMP, but it would still be capable of causing significant damage.

Other third-world nations could also potentially attack the United States with an EMP strike. However, they are less likely to have the resources to develop and deploy an EMP weapon.

The United States has taken some steps to protect itself from an EMP strike. The government has developed plans to harden critical infrastructure against EMP damage, and it has also developed systems to detect and warn of an EMP attack.

However, more needs to be done to protect the United States from an EMP strike. The government needs to invest more in research and development of EMP protection technologies, and it also needs to educate the public about the threat of EMP attacks."

Not too bad but a bit shallow.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Fear of the unknown.  Pretty common and to be expected.

Weaponizing Ai will be governments first priority. (same as always)
Second priority will be to limit or curtail it's use.  

Science fiction often becomes science fact.  We live in interesting times.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

It does Rich!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Saw on the news, now the people who have made all the advances in AI are warning Congress, they must act now to regulate AI before it is too late.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

AI does not know the difference between right and wrong it does not know the difference between true and false it only knows what it gleans off the internet.  As long as you know those differences AI is not  a threat

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Ray I doubt they can regulate what bad actors do in their own homes.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998