GM tow assist

runaway parents

GM files for patent is the link for the info at the GM site.

I actually am very intrigued with this idea. There are 2 wheel devices that let you tow a fifth wheel as a conventional trailer but they do not offer any power assist capabilities and the ability to park a fiver by controlling a device while standing there may be the very best part of it IMO.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

• Phil D changed the title to GM tow assist
25 minutes ago, runaway parents said:

Can't see how this is going to work.seems like a train wreck waiting to  happen. 

For sure!

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

I have always thought someone would come out with trailer drive axles. Regenerative braking and a boost for going up hill or passing could have it place especially if you drive an ev. Not much use for those of us with an HDT. Although the regenitive braking used to charge house batteries might be nice, more to fail though. 

Believe it or not, the HDT industry tried that with engine power on semi trailers in the 1960s, Electric power innovators are returning to those old theories these days with motor driven trailer axles.  Not sure I want something capable of running away with itself pushing me from behind.

Edited by ddm502001

Meritor sells electric drive axles now. https://www.meritor.com/products/epowertrains/

This is for the travel trailer crowd, there is the electric assist Airstream.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

How many folks are going to get doubles endorsments to tow with that?

Personally, it seems like an April Fools gag that leaked early

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

53 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

It is real. I went to the US Patent office and found it there. It is a 13 page PDF file if you want to download it.

You can patent pretty much anything.  Whether it is worthwhile or of use is another story.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

On 3/30/2023 at 7:18 PM, Ray,IN said:

Meritor sells electric drive axles now. https://www.meritor.com/products/epowertrains/

This is for the travel trailer crowd, there is the electric assist Airstream.

I guess it's TRUE I never have an original thought. It probably cost more than my house. Old Vermont farmers used to make trailers out of old trucks leaving the drivetrain intact and hitching them to the tractor PTO for added traction, especially in the wooded hills. I have seen stuck trucks and trailers that could have gotten out with a powered trailer.