Axle weights and traction

Ethos

I bought a rescue truck that I am converting to an RV.

Firetruck chassis with ambulance rear.  Being a firetruck chassis, the engine extends over the front axle a bit.

Traction on icy conditions is very poor.  Tires are in good condition.

Steer axle weight is 11,500.  Drive axle weight is 7060.

Gvwr is 26000 lbs.

Will adding some weight to the rear make much of a difference?  

I'm new to RVing and new to medium duty trucks.

All advice is welcome.

rsz_pxl_20230220_210121681.thumb.jpg.eb83ee3f73febb1eb5de3914163f4ead.jpg

Congrats, please post your progress. Many have thought about it, but only a few have actually done. 

Traction on Ice is never good. My plan is to stay put unless something really important changes said plan. 

Be sure to check the dates on the tires. They may look really good, but maybe as old as the rig depending on how many miles are on it. 

My initial thoughts this morning. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

As you convert it to an RV, you'll be adding a significant amount of weight. That will help improve both the ride and traction. Putting some of your heavier items as far back as possible will help transfer some of that weight toward the rear and help balance out your axle weights. Jay

Put your auxiliary freshwater tank of your generator fuel tank behind the rear axle. That is a good way to gain some weight in a hurry. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

plan your weight right. as you only have 1000 pounds MAX to play with on that front axle. dot max weight is 12,500 pounds. and 500 pounds are a "given" extra as long as the rear is not up to it's max weight. not sure what the max weight is for that class, check first then build up.

• 2 months later...

Well, no, max DOT weight on a steer axle is 19,000#, provided the rim and tire are wide enough, and the axle is rated for it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, JGWALES said:

Much heavier than i thought they were. Converting it to RV puts you over the magic 26,000 lb mark. Im 18,000 loaded with clothing and food in the fridge. Without trailer

The magic 26,000 pound weight is not usually a problem with RV's.  Many RV's exceed that, sometimes by a lot but do not require a CDL.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2023 at 11:25 AM, Randyretired said:

The magic 26,000 pound weight is not usually a problem with RV's.  Many RV's exceed that, sometimes by a lot but do not require a CDL.

Some states, like TX, do require a non-CDL class B license for over 26K RV though.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

15 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Some states, like TX, do require a non-CDL class B license for over 26K RV though.

That would be a Class B for motor homes over 26,001 lbs. and a Class A Non-Commercial Exempt for towable combinations where the trailer is over 10,000 lbs. and the combination GVWR is over 26,001 lbs.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg