Cummins N14 Inframe cost?

Tackleberry

I have an N14 and did a complete in frame on it 4 years ago.  I also replaced the turbo and clutch and a couple other small items at the same time.  The total bill was about $25k. 

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

31 minutes ago, Tackleberry said:

Mobile mechanic at pre purchase inspection spotted head gasket leaks in 3 spots

I'm not saying it doesn't need a rebuild but leaking valve cover gaskets wouldn't immediately point me to a rebuild.  I'd have a reputable shop change the gaskets and perform a blowby test.  How many miles on the engine?

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

43 minutes ago, spindrift said:

I'm not saying it doesn't need a rebuild but leaking valve cover gaskets wouldn't immediately point me to a rebuild.  I'd have a reputable shop change the gaskets and perform a blowby test.  How many miles on the engine?

700k. Minimum blow by out dipstick 

Hal from Long Island
2000 Volvo 770, Cummings N14, 10 Speed Eaton Auto-Shift
2016 XLR Thunderbolt 420 AMP Toy Hauler

rsz_1rsz_1both22.png

2 minutes ago, Tackleberry said:

700k. Minimum blow by out dipstick 

"Minimum" blowby measured how?  By sight or using a manometer?  My advice, have the engine evaluated by a reputable engine shop before spending $25-30K on a rebuild.  Even if there is excessive blowby, you're going to want an inspection of your rods and mains in order to determine whether you only rebuild the top end or go the full Magilla and include the bottom end as well.

My bad...reread and saw head gaskets NOT valve gaskets.  I'd still have both bottom and top ends evaluated.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

How much you got?

In all seriousness, it depends on the shop rate in the area you get it done. Have you ever been inside this engine before? Headgaskets aren't indicative of an inframe. Get a manometer on the blowby, so you can make an informed decision. Roll in new main and conn rod bearings, replace the head gaskets, adjust the valvetrain and Jakes, and let her bark.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I would think about judging the rest of the truck to compare how it was taken care of.

If it looks respectable inside and out then that could indicate it was sorta taken care of.  Now if other things are sorta tough, then it might be time to look elsewhere.

Today I seen a local dump truck that had oil on the front right side lug nuts. It was very noticeable. I would think DOT mite pull him over for a inspection. Mismatched tires on the rear axle. Not very clean on the outside.

Now no comment on my Jeep. I now it workings are respectable. Corvette motor with 80,000 miles on it. It may not look it.  But it really is a rat rod in disguise.

19 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I got a BIG time out for saying that a few years ago.... 

That was you?!? I wondered when I read that line if someone was gonna get in trouble, then I never saw that forum member again. Learn something new (almost) every day. Jay

1 hour ago, ARGO said:

Yeah, I got TERMINATED. But not for the floor thing, I made reference to a spice smell common to certain ethnicities

Yes, I remember that as well. Seems you're in good company. Some of our greatest contributors have been around the block a time or two. Jay

Since the topic of forum bans has come up, please know that to my knowledge, no contributing member has ever been banned from this forum or from the Escapees forums generally by any of the moderators that are specifically responsible for the HDT forum (many spammers and other disruptors have been banned, but that's another story entirely).  That said, Escapees HQ allows their other moderators come in to moderate the content of this forum, even though the HDT forum has its own assigned moderators, and should anyone run afoul of those other moderators, there's nothing that we can do to help.  Please govern yourselves accordingly.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Biggest problem on the N14 is Heritage, is still a NT855 base block, they had issues for forever with Head Weeping for as long as I had worked on them.  MINOR amounts of coolant are one concern, if leak oil can ignore except the mess.  Blocks erode at water passages and as heads 'wiggle' on the block deck.  As a quick check have a Mechanic inspect for broken head bolt in the head to head juncture areas, not unheard of to do this. IF has a broken Head bolt just do all three head gaskets and ALL new head bolts, do NOT let someone argue for reusing them.  Way I used to do this is a solid Steel rod, about 5/8" diameter and about 18" long, lightly drop on end against head bolt heads in between heads, should bounce and ring, a 'Thok' or Weak hit with no ring will find bolt has broken.

Dave