GPS sun/heat shield?

Kirk W

I use a GPS mount that sits on the dash in our truck and a suction cup mount to the windshield, both of which expose the back of the GPS to very intense heat from the sun. I looked at Amazon but found nothing that looked like it would protect the GPS from the heat. Even some type of sun shade would probably help a great deal. I am wondering if any of the cleaver folks here have come up with a good way to shield one and still allow air movement for ventilation? My years of work with electronic repairs taught me that heat is the enemy of electronic equipment. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

10 minutes ago, agesilaus said:

The device is designed with that in mind

I some time back did not use a window shield. My gps failed right regular. They would even get sticking from the heat.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I never shielded mine but it would sometimes stop working heading south through Kansas City in October so now I wonder if heat was the problem. It would be off a few minutes then start working again. I'm sure glad we had driven that route enough for me to know where to go.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Kirk, I have a 2008 year Rand McNally  RVND7730 model GPS. It was always mounted on the dash of either my dually pickup or subsequently or MH. I've never had any operational issues with the unit.

Just this year I bought a 7" OHREX brand trucker GPS (made in China) for $69.95 off Amazon to replace the RM because RM only supports "lifetime maps" for 3 years. Since I could not use the RM with any degree of certainty, It was cheaper to buy the  OHREX unit.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

9 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Well my ac running at max, don't see mine getting hot

Have you ever put your hand on the back of it? You really should. I had not given it much thought until recently when traveling into the sun with ambient temperatures above 100°F and mine displayed a high temp warning briefly and shut down. The back was almost too hot to keep the hand on. I tried shading it by putting something between it and the direct sun and that makes a tremendous difference. 

Have never left something on your dash when driving into the sun on a hot summer day?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Several years ago on another truck I wanted window tint to do what you expect tint to do, block bright sunlight. The problem was that it also blocked light at night which adversely affected what you could see when backing at night or out of the side mirrors. The tint shop showed me a product after I raised all my objections called Llumar Air 80. Coloration-wise it is very light blue so as not to block visible light. However, it blocks 99% of UV and 43% of IR heat. It keeps the truck much cooler even without using the a/c. I had it put in this truck too when we bought it but just the windshield and front side windows as it does cost more than regular tint, and then had a dark tint on the back windows.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

5 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Have you ever put your hand on the back of it? You really should. I had not given it much thought until recently when traveling into the sun with ambient temperatures above 100°F and mine displayed a high temp warning briefly and shut down. The back was almost too hot to keep the hand on. I tried shading it by putting something between it and the direct sun and that makes a tremendous difference. 

Have never left something on your dash when driving into the sun on a hot summer day?

Actually mine is on dash so no sun directly on it. I was commenting about other vehicles I have owned.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I was surprised at how few RV oriented in dash head units were available. I'd use our phones to our in dash screens.

Some ideas I would try.

For motorhomes here is a great way to both protect your dash electronics from direct sunlight and update your rig.

https://lifeonroute.com/rv-cockpit-renovation-custom/

For those with trucks I'd just order the biggest screen navigation unit that can connect to your Android phone for Navigation. For RV specific navigation this phone App for Android and Apple phones sounds good but I have not used it. Any folks try this? https://rvlife.com/rv-gps/?msclkid=521e6cf9cf1b1411f54f0e2869c98832

For on dash units I would think a bubble "tent" made with bubble and foil insulation wrap the GPS can sit in with a floor and taped together by shipping tape would be an inexpensive test unit and a permanent housing could be made if that does the trick. It can be spray painted flat black so no glare in the driver's eyes. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XPFXW89/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07XPFXW89&pd_rd_w=Y65Du&content-id=amzn1.sym.bff6e147-54ad-4be3-b4ea-ec19ea6167f7&pf_rd_p=bff6e147-54ad-4be3-b4ea-ec19ea6167f7&pf_rd_r=4XHP23C10V4PAJQ3QHWF&pd_rd_wg=AM0vl&pd_rd_r=923f7340-8a47-4a55-be90-949db3a59c44&s=hi&smid=A917DJU8KFW86&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFVTE5DTFlPRElaSlImZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzMjMzNDYzSFdWNUVNU1JNM09IJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA5MzI0NDAzS1BXTExIQlFBQTA1JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsMiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Does it do a good job? It looks suitable for phone to screen like we do with Android Auto in the Forester with a 7" screen. We use the default Google navigation App with it on the big screen and audio directions and music on the SUV's audio system. I just say "Hey Google, take me to 666 devilish lane and it pops right up without asking for a city or zip. If a longer trip I add that in on the touch screen and it goes. If that RV App is any good it should work with any in dash entertainment screen with phone connection capability wired or not. IN her car it has to be connected with USB cable for Nav on screen and music works with just Bluetooth. When navigation is used we play Pandora music and both the nav direction voice and the music play nice over the audio system at the same time.

You folks are lucky in that there were no smart phones when we were fulltime 1997-2003. As well  Boy would having Navigation and Internet have been great traveling.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I added effective bubble wrap to the back of my Garmin 890, and while it helps, I still have had problems after the truck has been sitting in direct sunlight with it not starting due to overheating.  It has not been a problem when driving...

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

1 hour ago, vermilye said:

I added effective bubble wrap to the back of my Garmin 890, and while it helps, I still have had problems after the truck has been sitting in direct sunlight with it not starting due to overheating.  It has not been a problem when driving...

Maybe some Reflectrix which I have plenty of would work, tho I have had no problems

• 4 weeks later...