When to stop fixing?

lappir

7 minutes ago, Sculptor said:

On the subject of photos, this is just a test.  Shutterfly is all about making projects like albums or coffee mugs, so they don’t charge to upload photos.  I wanted to see if it works to post a link.  https://link.shutterfly.com/LNuXgLlceub NO promotion here, just a test.

Link worked fine . 

Why not just post the pic ? 

00-Sydtt11srjXHwbAV4sk6LmJ91aD4wT_cNThoh

Copy the image address and paste it in the reply box . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

Link worked fine . 

Why not just post the pic ? 

00-Sydtt11srjXHwbAV4sk6LmJ91aD4wT_cNThoh

Copy the image address and paste it in the reply box . ;)

That would work for any photo on any website, but a series of individual links to photos seems like more work than most want to do.  In my opinion.  When “photo bucket” was free that’s what everyone used because it was one link.  I think Facebook is just easier because you skip the middle step and upload right from your phone. 

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

31 minutes ago, Sculptor said:

That would work for any photo on any website, but a series of individual links to photos seems like more work than most want to do.  In my opinion.  When “photo bucket” was free that’s what everyone used because it was one link.  I think Facebook is just easier because you skip the middle step and upload right from your phone. 

Hmm , I just uploaded the image below directly form the picture file on my laptop . 

Granted the allowed image size is way too limiting .

2020-03-10 18.34.13 www.facebook.com b9421c414e59.png

Goes around , comes around .

You can easily spend up to a half hour jumping through hoops to upload pictures here, while on Facebook it's done in a few seconds. I have to use one browser to create the link and then go back to the other browser to post it. That makes more than enough difference for me. Jay

18 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

You can easily spend up to a half hour jumping through hoops to upload pictures here, while on Facebook it's done in a few seconds. I have to use one browser to create the link and then go back to the other browser to post it. That makes more than enough difference for me. Jay

Posting pics on here is easy. Only take a few seconds. use this site then take off the img from both sides. RV.NET: Photo Posting (is-great.net)

t9VSZj4l.jpg

Edited by jenandjon

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

1 hour ago, jenandjon said:

Posting pics on here is easy. Only take a few seconds. use this site then take off the img from both sides. RV.NET: Photo Posting (is-great.net)

t9VSZj4l.jpg

It may be easy on some devices, but since I do most everything on my phone, I'm forced to jump through several hoops to get there. I can do it, I just don't like to. 😃

YMMV 

Jay

• 4 months later...

sbSQDDvl.jpg

So I had another problem on the latest trip. First I was using the manual shift running through town till I got on the big highway. About 1/3 the way there it got stuck in 6th gear and would only ding. Managed to find a large parking lot to turn it around and get ready for a tow. Luck would have it I didn't need to. When I actually stopped it completely it disengaged and found neutral. I was back on my way. 

Drove 4 hours to Springfield (Ozark)Mo, and stopped at the Lamberts. Had planned to stop in Sikeston, but with the late start I decided to put some miles on before food in the belly. All was well for the trip so far. No additional transmissions issues till I found the above when I came back from dinner to head for Norman, OK. 

Trying to add photos proves to be still difficult. My internet connection keeps loosing contact when I open the photo sharing app. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a follow up to the above photo and issue. 

Arrived in Norman, OK, made sure my daughter was OK and then called the Eaton hotline and they suggested an electrical problem was causing the issue. I asked who was the best transmission place in the OKC area and when they heard it was in a Volvo they immediately chose the Volvo dealer. I'd much rather have gotten a smaller transmission shop, but no luck. 

Took the truck to the dealer, showed the photos of the error screens and told them all about it. Two days later I rode to the shop because I had heard nothing from them. They blamed it on my incorrectly copied down email address. They had my phone number too, but I wouldn't allow them to "Text" it. 

Anyway they gave me an estimate for almost $4000 to replace a wiring loom and the X-Y shifter. I asked how they determined and the reply was "We entered in the information you supplied and that's what our computer system says to do." I had asked them to just unplug, check and clean  the connections and let me know if there was any obvious issues. Cost me $400 for that diagnosis and estimate. I'll hopefully find someone to do what I asked and go from there. Once the connections are apart it shouldn't be an issue replacing the loom. The truck shifts fine if left in Auto mode and I'm not trying to force shifts. If I do anything I think it would be going to a manual other than the 10 speed. I could never smoothly shift that transmission on any test drives before buying the Auto shift. A 13 speed was no issues, just not the 10. 

I've made it to my summer spot. Drove through a pretty good snow storm in North Central Missouri in I 35. Pulled off in Osceola, IA. and added some fuel in case I had to sit for a while, but when I headed East the roads got better and better. Made it to my destination before it got bad here. Truck needed a boost to start the next morning at 10 degrees, but the transmission found neutral right off. Someday I'll find the reason. 

On another note. Visited a person who was the neighbor of my Mothers parents. She and her husband belonged to the "Saddle Club" and she was a substitute teacher during my elementary school years. I visited her today and wished her Happy Birthday. On March 4, 2023 she turned 106. 

MwMKXJjl.jpg

That photo was taken when she was still 105. She hasn't changed a bit. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Modern mechanics, The computer told me to do that. The old guy in the shop that know what the problem is probably retired years ago because he was tried of dealing with that crap. That is happening in our John Dealers and Case dealers shops. 

• 1 month later...

So the latest update. Found a person on YouTube with a similar problem with finding Neutral, he was an OTR driver and stuck in Chicago. Someone in Des Moines, IA. suggested a fix and it worked. I contacted the shop and had planned to take the truck to Des Monies (90 some miles NW of where I'm currently parked), but had an accident April first. 

Fast forward, decided to bite the bullet and keep it local, despite prior displeasure with said company. Gave them specific instructions on what I wanted done, but low and behold they disappointed me yet again. Their solution was to hook up the "Computer" determine it was just a simple case of "Low Voltage", so they without my permission changed out the batteries for the tune of $750.00 (for two batteries, not 4). I'm sure the next time I NEED my truck to move, it will not start. If I'm within 100 miles of them I will ensure they come, pick up my truck and fix it the way I wanted in the first place for another $750.00. Well under what it would have been if they had done what I asked or at least called me with an estimate before doing the work. (as I requested). 

They are pretty good customers of my brothers "Tire Shop". Not great ones and they will not be high on my list to please in the future. They have worked on the Shop 'Service Truck' a few times but it usually takes a couple trips to get the fix done. I haven't seen those bills, but I'm sure they were not cheap. 

Just a venting session today before going to pick up the truck next week. 

Rod 

2007 Honda GL 1800

Well, I have the answer. NOW

Long story but for now the facts. A friend had a 2000 Volvo with a recently replaced   600 HP Cummins with an 18 Speed Auto shift. This winter he bought a Class A motor home. When he called  and told me my first question was what are you going to do with your truck. He hadn't made a decision yet, but said he'd let me know before he did anything. 

Well last week he said he was selling. The person who owned it before was first on the list to potentially purchase it, another person who expressed interest through the owner son was second and I would have the third option. 

I drove down last Sunday and took it for a drive. Told the owner I wanted it, but had to wait till today for the second person to finally lose out because he didn't call Monday or Tuesday as planned and the owner sent a message he had till "Friday" or the truck was gone. I got a text at 1003 this morning saying the truck was mine if I wanted it. 

I wavered back and forth all the way home from the drive. Actually all week, but when I talked to him today I decided I was done with the other truck. It has been a good truck for me, but it didn't like sitting I think. Maybe the next owner will put it on the road a bit more than I was able to . 

The new to me truck is not singled and had that big motor and transmission. I'm hoping the "Farmers" in the area will allow me to put it to work hauling some grain for them as a "Farm Hand" and therefore not requiring a CDL. I'll ask for enough money for Fuel and upkeep and hopefully use their trailer. Wish me luck. 

No photos right now, but they will come soon. Most likely in a new Post. 

As I mentioned, my 2001 Volvo 770 runs and drives very well. The transmission issue may be fixed with the install of new batteries, but next Friday will be the test. I will 'NEED' to take it to a place for the removal of the drom box and other things. If it can't find Neutral it will be at the shop that did the work I didn't authorize or want, and they will hear about it. 

I'm hoping what they did was right and all goes well. If it does the single axle 2001 Volvo 770 will be available. I'll post all the important stuff and photos in a "For sale" post in the appropriate area. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

11 hours ago, lappir said:

Well, I have the answer. NOW

Long story but for now the facts. A friend had a 2000 Volvo with a recently replaced   600 HP Cummins with an 18 Speed Auto shift. This winter he bought a Class A motor home. When he called  and told me my first question was what are you going to do with your truck. He hadn't made a decision yet, but said he'd let me know before he did anything. 

Well last week he said he was selling. The person who owned it before was first on the list to potentially purchase it, another person who expressed interest through the owner son was second and I would have the third option. 

I drove down last Sunday and took it for a drive. Told the owner I wanted it, but had to wait till today for the second person to finally lose out because he didn't call Monday or Tuesday as planned and the owner sent a message he had till "Friday" or the truck was gone. I got a text at 1003 this morning saying the truck was mine if I wanted it. 

I wavered back and forth all the way home from the drive. Actually all week, but when I talked to him today I decided I was done with the other truck. It has been a good truck for me, but it didn't like sitting I think. Maybe the next owner will put it on the road a bit more than I was able to . 

The new to me truck is not singled and had that big motor and transmission. I'm hoping the "Farmers" in the area will allow me to put it to work hauling some grain for them as a "Farm Hand" and therefore not requiring a CDL. I'll ask for enough money for Fuel and upkeep and hopefully use their trailer. Wish me luck. 

No photos right now, but they will come soon. Most likely in a new Post. 

As I mentioned, my 2001 Volvo 770 runs and drives very well. The transmission issue may be fixed with the install of new batteries, but next Friday will be the test. I will 'NEED' to take it to a place for the removal of the drom box and other things. If it can't find Neutral it will be at the shop that did the work I didn't authorize or want, and they will hear about it. 

I'm hoping what they did was right and all goes well. If it does the single axle 2001 Volvo 770 will be available. I'll post all the important stuff and photos in a "For sale" post in the appropriate area. 

Rod

In a good year you can get 25 cents a bushel hauling grain but you have to have your own trailer. If you are hauling out of the field you will probably get paid by the hour. I don't know what the rates are on that. Don't get caught hauling grain with the RV license. You wont get a farm plate unless you are actually a farmer. Even getting paid just enough for fuel you will be considered commercial therefore under CDL. 

Now you need insurance. If you are pulling someone's else trailer you need insurance for that. Non owner something or other its been a while since I had that. AND you need to insure the load. If I remember right we have our cargo insurance is set at 100,000. It doesn't cost a lot but considering a load of soy beans is worth over $14,000 you probably want that insured. It covers the load and if you lay it over should cover the clean up cost depending on how you have it insured. No cargo insurance means all that comes out of your pocket should something happen. 

Edited by jenandjon

14 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

In a good year you can get 25 cents a bushel hauling grain but you have to have your own trailer. If you are hauling out of the field you will probably get paid by the hour. I don't know what the rates are on that. Don't get caught hauling grain with the RV license. You wont get a farm plate unless you are actually a farmer. Even getting paid just enough for fuel you will be considered commercial therefore under CDL. 

Now you need insurance. If you are pulling someone's else trailer you need insurance for that. Non owner something or other its been a while since I had that. AND you need to insure the load. If I remember right we have our cargo insurance is set at 100,000. It doesn't cost a lot but considering a load of soy beans is worth over $14,000 you probably want that insured. It covers the load and if you lay it over should cover the clean up cost depending on how you have it insured. No cargo insurance means all that comes out of your pocket should something happen. 

Good information I had not thought of. Thanks for the education. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

12 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

Rod, guess what I spotted in my photo archives, the moment that started it all.

ejxNtASl.jpg

That was  a bit ago eh?

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800