When to stop fixing?

lappir

23 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

In our case, it was a Volvo dealer in Odessa, TX who gave me the prices.  We had them install a re-man x-y and all was well.

I am glad they were able to find the problem. Usually dealers just start changing parts on these old trannys, since they can't properly diagnose them.  First they charge harness, then xy shifter, then ecm

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think we got lucky.  The service manager said his Eaton mechanic was the best for the Gen 1 auto shift in the whole Bruckners group.

I also have a friend close to where we live who's pretty good with them,  He's a mechanic at the local Mack dealer.

That said, I now have a 13 spd. Eaton in the KW.  Had to re-teach my right arm and brain to make smooth shifts.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

One time I cleaned my battery terminals on the truck. We were at Taladega speedway for a nascar race.

There a week so I thought it is time to clean the battery connections. Well the truck ran fine getting there. The truck ran fine after cleaning the terminals for about 50 miles.     Then a yellow light came on . Not good. Then it went out. Then a few miles and it came on again. We are on a interstate highway that we were never on before. Panic is on my mind. All gauges were showing good. The light went out.     Feeling better now.

O noooooo red light cam on.      Tell wife we are exiting.    Find the first place to get off the road. Shopping  mall parking lot with truck spaces for a MacDonalds.

Well at least we are of the road.   So what heck is going on. Check under the hood. This was about 10 years ago, so details are hard to remember.    Checking over things .    Well the last think I did was to clean the battery terminals.     Look at the batteries.   Feel the cables and such stuff charging the rv.

Well one battery post is loose.      Well I took all the battery stud bolts off when I cleaned the batteries. The kind on our Volvo had long stainless nuts that were closed on one end.        Battery terminal stud was long enough to stop the nut from tightening the cables. It tightened on the top of the stud And that one had the ecm power line on it I do believe.

Took a few beers that night to relax at Rainbow Plantation.

All was not well when I went to pick up the truck. They did a lot of working and searching, but didn't throw parts at it. I told them to stop at #1k in labor. I haven't seen the bill yet so I don't know how close it will be to that right now. 

I went to the shop Sunday hoping to find the truck outside and I would have taken it for a test drive, filled it with fuel and parked it right back where I found it. (If it didn't die during the drive.) Truck was behind a locked door and the hood still up, so I went to Lamberts and had a big Supper instead. 

Rode the motorcycle down this morning and asked if I could do a test drive before I accepted the truck back, they said sure. I headed out and got maybe 3 miles on the interstate before it did the exact same thing it had done 5 other times since a week ago last Friday. No engine power, Data Link Missing or NO DATA on the message board. I did find a way to encourage it to start and run again, but you would have to be here for me to show you. I won't do that every 5 miles for the 400 it probably is to SpaceCraft, so I have some decisions to make. 

I can continue to throw money at it, but I doubt the current tech or "Shop" will figure it out. 

They said they could put a manual transmission in it for around $12K. They would get a remanufactured transmission, replace the clutch install the new shifter and boot and adjust the drive shaft if required. I didn't get a time estimate for the job though. 

I spoke with Jack Mayer to find out if he had a truck that I could rent, but they only have dealer licenses on them or they belong to someone else. Suggested a truck they recently took in to sell, but it will require a bit of TLC to get it to the point where it could pull my trailer. They would want to go completely through it and I don't think I can wait, besides it has the same transmission I am currently having issues with. I don't think I will look further into that purchase. 

I know there are a few here on the forum, but none that match what I need. 

Greg at Spacecraft said getting it from Cape Girardeau to Concordia could be as low as $1K or as high as $4K. I'd do the $1000, not sure about the $4000.  They have been having issues getting their new builds to the paint shop in Iowa. 

I can stay and work here for a while. It's too hot, but I do have an inside job. I'd rather be in the mountains though. 

I'm going to visit the local Penske location and see what I'd have to do to rent one of their day cabs. Might have to find a driver with a CDL willing to drive it. My brother has his but agreed to restrict it to the boundaries of Iowa a couple years ago so he didn't have to have the annual medical. TMI

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Waiting on hold for one of our wonderful government agencies for an hour and missed a call from the Sikeston, MO. dealership. Truck is fixed and the service manager proudly said he went 25 miles without an issue. It was too late for me to make it down there tonight but first thing in the morning I will. They want me to take a test drive just to be sure. 

For all of you who said it would be a simple connection or corroded wire the culprit was finally located and I know exactly who did it and when. The when was 2013. I'll show everyone the what once the person responsible has a chance to defend themselves in a Duel. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

6 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Hey Rod, don't you have a brother who has a repair shop?

It's  a tire shop if you call fixing replacing  and balancing tires a repair shop.  They to a lot of truck tires, but it's outside year around. None of the doors are tall enough to get a full size semi inside. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Picked up the truck this morning and it made it all the way home. It's full of fuel now and I even hooked up the trailer.

Not sure when I will depart for Spacecraft, need to figure a few things out. I put myself on the work schedule for Wed, Thurs and Friday for this week so I can't leave today.  

Also sort of agreed to work till the end of the month, with the potential of giving a 2 week notice, but that's almost the end of the month. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

So after my trip to the Dealer in Sikeston Mo and my ride back to Cape Girardeau. I went back to pick up my Emergency Triangles. I left 5 of them on the shoulder  and I found two bases and a pile of broken reflectors. There was a third base, but it was broken and leaking sand. I put it in a garbage bag and on my floor mat in the passenger side. 6wnknZll.jpg

2007 Honda GL 1800

The trip to Concordia was without difficulty, except for very unexpected traffic on Sunday "Fathers Day". 

Maybe I should have gotten up early and left, but I waited until around 11 am to start. Traffic was thick almost all the way and an accident on the east bound interstate had traffic backed up for almost 10 miles. Was very glad not to be stuck in that mess. 

Spacecraft almost looked disserted when I arrived. I usually have to back in between several trailers to hook up to the electric. Sunday there was no one there and only two older "Carnival" units sitting near the welding shop. 

The post will take a different turn now, it will go from fixing the truck to fixing the Spacecraft. 

It took a while to realize and then a lot longer to actually get back to the "Factory" for the fix. One thing I didn't realize when I made the plan to build my custom home is you really need to make a plan to visit the "Factory" for repairs and upgrades. That increases your cost considerably, unless you actually have a reason to visit Concordia on an annual basis. In the past I would try to work in Kansas City, but that doesn't work all that well. It's an hour from Concordia to the KC Metro area. Other times I would stay at family homes and that worked out even though they were over 300 miles away. Just something to think about. 

I have ordered some changes in the slide out room. I have increased the "Insulation" thickness in what I hoped was all sides, but it appears from the initial construction the floor will be unchanged. I'm loosing 3/4 of an inch of interior space all around. I'm hoping I don't notice it and also hoping I notice the change in the condensation pattern on the exterior walls and not finding any condensation on the inside. 

There has been an elimination of all windows in the pop out room and all electric. It's where I have decided to place my bed and not having to worry about putting it too close to the exterior walls I think will make me happy. The new end window I ordered will be placed into the Kitchen slideout and depending on how it works and the final cost the rest of the windows may be replaced with windows from the company. I will post a photo of the new window when it's installed. 

Time to get ready for work. More thoughts to come. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Picked up the truck and trailer from Spacecraft Saturday morning. I left Cape Girardeau Friday after work and arrived in Concordia while it was still HOT.  Thankfully they left the A/C running. The work was about as expected. I was sort of worried when I pulled in and saw it. The replaced slide out only came out about half as much as the other one that was extended. Thankfully when I got in I found they hadn't fully extended it. Not sure why or if I was supposed to leave it alone all night, but I didn't. I have some photos of things I will post later. I will have to admit I will NEVER LEAVE MY RIG  FOR THEM TO WORK ON without me being there. I don't care what they say. Greg did treat me right on the replacement, but the other work I had done ( when I found out they were going to at least share the expense of the room rebuild). I did not get what I paid for on several items. I'll be going back to get the Window sometime this summer and will stay on site until it's installed (to my satisfaction) and the remaining items are brought up to snuff. 

That's it for now. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update.

So far all is well and the truck is getting ready to be parked for the rest of the summer, unless I can talk the local welder into fixing up the area behind the Motorcycle Garage into a more useable space. 

I had him put a deck on the area with the prior Mini Cooper/Vehicross Garage I had before getting the Spacecraft built and had hoped he saved it to be trimmed down and reused. Scrap prices apparently were good enough for him to cut it up for that, or maybe he used it for another project. I didn't specify what to do with it when I had to have it removed to be able to hook up to the Spacecraft. That's been almost 10 years ago now. Time sure flies. 

Well, I have lots of things to do today and it's nice and cool out. I should do the outside stuff first and then come back inside to finish the inside stuff. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

I've been following this tread. I love the title. When to stop fixing.

You are not alone with the never-ending fix list. Let's see... on the truck. Replace entire AC system. Condenser, all the lines, and compressor. Head gasket, 6 injectors, replace the transmission, re-bearing the rear end. Adjust drive line angles, leaky water pump, new rad overflow tank and replace ALL the coolant lines, new charge air cooler, new turbo and exhaust manifold. I'm still chasing oil leaks. 

On the trailer. Had to get the shackles straightened on our first trip. I still think I bought it that way and missed it when I did my inspection. 🤦‍♂️. New tires bearings and brakes Replaced the fridge. Added a second AC unit, Now the water heater decided to spring a leak. And the wife shut the handrail in the slide. Bending all kinds of stuff. For some reason when I turn on the 4-way flashers all the lights blink. 

Edited by jenandjon

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

34 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

For some reason when I turn on the 4-way flashers all the lights blink. 

Usually when that happens its a bad ground between truck and trailer.  Thats if they are all flashing on the trailer.  A quick check is to clamp a jumper cable from truck to trailer and if they start working properly, then I search for a bad.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

2 hours ago, dennisvr said:

Usually when that happens its a bad ground between truck and trailer.  Thats if they are all flashing on the trailer.  A quick check is to clamp a jumper cable from truck to trailer and if they start working properly, then I search for a bad.

I will try that. Thanks!

8 hours ago, jenandjon said:

For some reason when I turn on the 4-way flashers all the lights blink. 

8 hours ago, dennisvr said:

Also check for a dual filament bulb (either a turn signal or a blind spot indicator) that may have burned out and the bright filament falls across the parking light filament.  I had this happen in the right side blind spot signal near the door.  It drove first me, then my electrical engineer neighbor and me crazy.  Fixed it by accident when he went to look for some additional diagnostic tools and I decided to replace the burned out bulb while he was gone, which was when I found the source of the problem. 

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

9 hours ago, jenandjon said:

On the trailer. Had to get the shackles straightened on our first trip. I still think I bought it that way and missed it when I did my inspection. 🤦‍♂️ 

Box the shackles so they can't bend side to side.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

14 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Box the shackles so they can't bend side to side.

I had the work done at a horse trailer dealer. They boxed them AND put in 3 cross braces with channel iron tying left and right sides together.  If they bend again, I will have bigger issues than just that! 

15 hours ago, Phil D said:

Also check for a dual filament bulb (either a turn signal or a blind spot indicator) that may have burned out and the bright filament falls across the parking light filament.  I had this happen in the right side blind spot signal near the door.  It drove first me, then my electrical engineer neighbor and me crazy.  Fixed it by accident when he went to look for some additional diagnostic tools and I decided to replace the burned out bulb while he was gone, which was when I found the source of the problem. 

I ran into that one time as being a mechanic.  Dont remember how I found it, but like you say it drove me crazy looking for it.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

On 7/9/2022 at 6:24 PM, Phil D said:

Also check for a dual filament bulb (either a turn signal or a blind spot indicator) that may have burned out and the bright filament falls across the parking light filament. 

Wow, does that bring back memories.  I had that happen on a vehicle back in the '70s.  Can't remember what it was, but it had me pulling my hair out.  It never grew back..............

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 3 months later...

This is the first post I found that had some info on my issue with a Data disconnect. Just when you think all is well you hear a chug chug and silence. Looking at the info screen you see the dreaded NO DATA CONNECTION again. 

This time it's on I 35 in Kansas. I'm going to say that was a good thing, but also a bad thing. The bad first. Not many exits and you have to stop on the side of the road. I Coasted as far as I could (Which is a long way really) I'd alternate with pushing in on the clutch for less resistance, but that takes away the Power Steering and the air compressor. I never saw a significant decrease in air pressures, so didn't worry about that too much. I can steer with out the aid of the power steering pump, but don't want to try any evasive moves at speeds above 40 so I let the engine turn over from the momentum. That also  (In My Mind) keeps my air pressure up and I won't have a sudden stop from low air pressure. ( I paid attention at the Air Brake Seminar at the HDT Rally's I've attended. ) 

So now for the good part of being in Kansas. 

I lived there for several years and felt the Highway system there was one of the best. Still do and they are almost always working on it. Sometimes it causes traffic issues that are not pleasant, but yesterday I was glad they left all their safety cones on the side of the road.  When I had my last truck issue on the side of an interstate highway I put out my warning triangles. They were all off (but close) to the traveled portion of the road. Circumstances made me leave the triangles, but I did return to retrieve them. (Photos were posted on another post). Needless to say they were damaged beyond repair and I neglected to remember (till yesterday) I had not replaced them. ( I want some of the flashing disc's, but haven't seen them advertised again lately.) I used the 3+foot pilons along the road as my hazard markers. I wish I had a body camera to show how people do not pay attention when there is a LARGE WHITE TRAILER Parked along the interstate. EVEN LESS it seemed with a Human walking toward them in a VERY HI VIS shirt moving pilons to further advise the BIG TRUCK AND TRAILER PARKED AT THE SIDE OF THE ROAD.  

I know the signs all say "Please pull over for Law enforcement and Emergency Vehicles", but I think it should say and I ALWAYS (unless prevented) pull over. If I'm prevented I do significantly decrease my speed, but in my mind that can cause even more difficulties.  So any way Thanks to the Kansas Road maintenance crew for leaving me some protection. 

The fix turned out to be really easy. I sort of knew where to look for the problem and sure enough I barely touched a wire and it came off the post in my hand. A quick strip of the wire, wrap it around the post and I'm off. I'm going to have my mechanic change out all the wires in that area with new back to where they originate or  there is another screw on terminal. My truck is a 2001 with slightly less than a million miles on it. Vibration, heat and cold cycles long periods of non use are taking their toll in addition to the near million miles of road vibration and other Earth Quake like movements. 

I had a really good time at the National HDT Rally. Didn't take many photos, but if I get any from the person who took a TON of them I'll try to share them here. Most of them will be on the Facebook HDT site, but I'm not sure if my boss will allow me to access it from his business Facebook account. He'll want to buy an HDT and big trailer then too. 

I know this post has been all over the place, but I certainly feel better. Hope some of you enjoyed it and maybe gained from reading it. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

12 hours ago, Larry Burkett said:

It would be nice if you posted a bunch of pictures here for those of us that don't do Facebook.

It would also be nice if it was as easy to post here as it was with FB. 

As much as I planned to take photos this year, stuff got in the way and I didn't. Too busy with personal projects, helping with other projects and attending the seminars. Photos are nice, but seeing things in person is so much better. 

If I can harvest a link to some photos that don't require a FB account I will do so. Might take me till next year to do so though. Now back to topic. 

When to stop fixing. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

On the subject of photos, this is just a test.  Shutterfly is all about making projects like albums or coffee mugs, so they don’t charge to upload photos.  I wanted to see if it works to post a link.  https://link.shutterfly.com/LNuXgLlceub NO promotion here, just a test.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg