Never forget!

Kirk W

Here's a laugh- my 15 yr younger wife thinks "Jap job" refers to today's generation . (never forget!)

Do you remember "cuts quicker than a Japanese toy" ?

How about "made in USA", no periods between letters?

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

3 hours ago, Twotoes said:

USA, with no periods, is an island off the coast of Japan. Lol

"Made in USA" labeled products must meet the FTC's "Country of origin" rules to be sold in the United States. And according to Snopes, the use of the Japanese city (not island) of Usa's name to label products "Made in USA" was likely a joke.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/made-in-usa/

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

2 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

"Made in USA" labeled products must meet the FTC's "Country of origin" rules to be sold in the United States. And according to Snopes, the use of the Japanese city (not island) of Usa's name to label products "Made in USA" was likely a joke.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/made-in-usa/

And you believe everything Snopes says is true??? It must be true because it's on the internet....

Edited by GeorgiaHybrid

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

1 hour ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

And you believe everything Snopes says is true??? It must be true because it's on the internet....

Of course not, but I do use their references and other sources to verify their articles when there's any question.

You can read for yourself the FTC rules on using the "Made in USA" label. And it's easily verifiable that "Usa" Japan existed long before WWII, although it didn't officially become a city until 1960 as the population grew.

https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidance/resources/complying-made-usa-standard

Dutch

8 hours ago, Twotoes said:

USA, with no periods, is an island off the coast of Japan. Lol

Well, it might be but when it is all in caps then a number of dictionaries such as dictionary.com and others say it means the United States of America just as much as U.S.A. does. In all fairness it could also mean United States Army but would think that context would help out.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

And while we are on the subject of Memorial Day, I get irritated at the folks running around with a party mood wishing everyone a "Happy" Memorial Day.  This is a day to remember all the military members that gave all they could for this country.   This is a day of remembrance to honor these brave people.  

Please honor these military members.  Memorial Day is not a party day to get drunk.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

31 minutes ago, TXiceman said:

And while we are on the subject of Memorial Day, I get irritated at the folks running around with a party mood wishing everyone a "Happy" Memorial Day.  This is a day to remember all the military members that gave all they could for this country.   This is a day of remembrance to honor these brave people.

I suspect a number of us here remember it as Decoration Day. As a kid I remember the whole family used to get dressed up in our Sunday best and take off in the morning to the various cemeteries to clean up the various sites and to place flowers. In the evening we would get together with family for a picnic dinner. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

1 hour ago, Chalkie said:

I suspect a number of us here remember it as Decoration Day.

That we do! And the local cemetery where my dad's family are at that time didn't have regular maintenance so dad loaded the mower and lawn tools into the truck and we went out a few days before and cleaned and mowed around all of our family plot, cared for the flowers that were planted there and generally put in a work day there, as were all of our neighbors as well. We kids pulled weeds and raked and such. Nowadays there is maintenance in that same cemetery. Even now the local service clubs put flags on the graves of all veterans & the American Legion put on a ceremony on May 30. It was begun shortly after the Civil War and slowly the name changed from Decoration Day to Memorial Day after WWII. It wasn't until June, 1968 that it was changed to Monday as part of the effort to give workers more 3 day weekends. It was not recognized as a federal holiday until 1971, when the Monday holiday law took effect.

Memorial Day

Memorial Day, as Decoration Day gradually came to be known, originally honored only those lost while fighting in the Civil War. But during World War I the United States found itself embroiled in another major conflict, and the holiday evolved to commemorate American military personnel who died in all wars, including World War II, The Vietnam War, The Korean War and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

After we moved away I remember my step-sister assuring me that she and her mother were tending our family's graves on Decoration Day. That was years after most people were calling it Memorial Day. On Decoration Day we cared for all the family graves not just those who had served in the military. It wasn't until it became Memorial Day that our focus became the military--starting with a parade of groups like the VFW and the American Legion and boy scouts. My father marched with the American Legion's drum and bugle corps. He served in the Navy but never fought overseas (he was based in Cuba) so didn't qualify for membership in the VFW.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We too attended to all graves of our family members, but only those of military veterans were decorated with a US flag. I do not know when the local Legion began their ceremonies, but they were well established by the time that I remember so I'm confident that it would have been before 1950. If you read the link that I posted, that observance began as a recognition for the Civil War dead and slowly grew to what it is today. My great grandfather was a Civil War veteran. 

Here's a link for anyone that wants a refresher on the history of Decoration/Memorial Day:

https://www.abmc.gov/news-events/news/decoration-day-memorial-day-american-tradition-nearly-150-years

Dutch

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

We too attended to all graves of our family members, but only those of military veterans were decorated with a US flag. I do not know when the local Legion began their ceremonies, but they were well established by the time that I remember so I'm confident that it would have been before 1950. If you read the link that I posted, that observance began as a recognition for the Civil War dead and slowly grew to what it is today. My great grandfather was a Civil War veteran. 

Yes, that is your truth. But, we all know not everyone changed at the same time. The parades I remember happened in the early 1950s. Our Memorial Day weekend camping trips happened every year between 1958 and 1962. But, it was at least the late 60s when my step-sister was still referring to Decoration Day. Your truth and my truth are not mutually exclusive.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Decoration Day and Memorial Day have always been about remembering those members of the military that gave all, including those on both sides of the Civil War. I do remember as a youngster helping cleanup family graves regardless of whether they were military or not for Decoration Day. We planted flowers for all and flags for the military members, and when we were done with our own we helped others with theirs or the unattended graves. This year I took our 5 year old great granddaughter with me to the Saratoga, NY national cemetery a few days before Memorial Day weekend to help place/replace flags at the graves. Watching others around us, she quickly joined me in saluting each flag we placed. I couldn't bring myself to tell her that civilians don't salute. :)

Dutch

This conversation got me to wondering when the different veterans organizations got their starts. I got this from an internet search. As far as I can tell all of these groups still exist, although there are several that I had never heard of. 

The Army and Navy Union of the United States of America,  1888

VFW,  1899

American Legion,  1919

DAV,  1920

The Marine Corps League,  1922

Fleet Reserve Association,  1924

American Gold Star Mothers,  1928

Military Order of the Purple Heart, 1932

American Ex-POWs  1942

AMVETS,  1944

Air Force Sergeants Association.  1961

United States Submarine Veterans,  1963

Vietnam Veterans of America,  1978

Since you included the civilian American Gold Star Mothers, then maybe the civilian National Society Daughters of the American Revolution founded in 1890 should be included as well?

Dutch

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2022 at 5:12 AM, Kirk W said:

virginia-memorial-day-weekend.jpg

Enjoy asking retired -especially Navy guys- this question:

How many USN folks (30 yrs service) do you know (of) that served in the military of two countries at the same time?

Lived with my Aunt and Uncle for about 20 years.  He was a USN Chief Pharmacists Mate (E-7).  *During* his 30 years, he *also* served as a Lieut. in the service of a foreign country.

Your guess is ?? 

BTW - he never missed Memorial Day at the VA Cemetery in Los Angeles.

~

Edited by Pappy Yokum