What do you want for Christmas?

Kirk W

33 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

Obviously you have little idea of the value of old dolls and soldier figures . 

That's alright . Not everyone knows everything . ;)

They were cheap ones my mother could afford on limited income. Truly not worth saving.

It's true that not everyone knows everything, though. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sitting in the living room of my Christmas present (also my anniversary, birthday, etc.) for the next few years.   We have purchased a home in Mesa, AZ and are moving into it.   Will officially become Arizona residents on January 2nd.  Takes time to make a move and trying to do registrations, etc. during Christmas-New Years is just impossible.    So I now have a DISHWASHER, a Garbage Disposal and TWO TOILETS!   As one ages, the advantage of that 2nd toilet become more and more and more evident!  😉

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

13 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

As one ages, the advantage of that 2nd toilet become more and more and more evident!

Congratulations on the new home! Not only is the second one more valuable, the same is true of a high quality bathroom exhaust fan.  😏

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

44 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

I am sitting in the living room of my Christmas present (also my anniversary, birthday, etc.) for the next few years.   We have purchased a home in Mesa, AZ and are moving into it.   Will officially become Arizona residents on January 2nd.  Takes time to make a move and trying to do registrations, etc. during Christmas-New Years is just impossible.    So I now have a DISHWASHER, a Garbage Disposal and TWO TOILETS!   As one ages, the advantage of that 2nd toilet become more and more and more evident!  😉

Congratulations , Barb . :)

How long do you think it will take you before you stop lifting your foot to flush ? LOL

Goes around , comes around .

37 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

How long do you think it will take you before you stop lifting your foot to flush ? LOL

Does this mean I'm not the only one who has done that?

As for collectibles, we started collecting Hummel nativity pieces back in '74 when we got some pieces for our wedding.  We got a piece every Christmas until we had nearly all of them.  Then about 10 years ago, my wife dropped a shelf in the display cabinet and broke some pieces.  I bought another complete set off eBay for less than we'd paid for just a few pieces when they were popular.  The standing camel (NIB) costs less now than in '74.  Adjusted for inflation, they're pretty worthless.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

4 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Obviously you have little idea of the value of old dolls and soldier figures .

Sure I do.  But what good does their value do until they're actually sold?  It's not my impression that people give things like this with the expectation that the recipient will sell them when they need or want some money.  Instead, it is hoped that the recipient will treasure the objects, in which case their value shouldn't matter at all, and the recipient is a bad/ungrateful person if he divests himself of them.

All in all, I think kids (and a lot of adults) would prefer a gift card over collectibles they don't actually collect, and it's not because they're foolish. 

I've got tens of thousands of dollars worth of collectables squireled away. Worth sqat until you get a buyer for them. And FWIW the cheap throw away items are the ones that increase in value. Because most folks threw them away. Need a good example of dud collectables just look up Franklin Mint stuff. 

9 hours ago, Blues said:

Sure I do.  But what good does their value do until they're actually sold?  It's not my impression that people give things like this with the expectation that the recipient will sell them when they need or want some money.  Instead, it is hoped that the recipient will treasure the objects, in which case their value shouldn't matter at all, and the recipient is a bad/ungrateful person if he divests himself of them.

All in all, I think kids (and a lot of adults) would prefer a gift card over collectibles they don't actually collect, and it's not because they're foolish. 

Hmm , isn't impatience a real big part of being foolish ? 

There's more to this than 'collectables' etc. Us old folks wanted stuff based on usability and sentimentality. The younger generation aren't interested in sentimentality or collect-ability. They just want the newest trendy stuff. Then throw it away for the next new gimmick. How many young folks have a side board full of family photos?

Years ago I studies the generations. Well 15 years ago. The lecturer broke up every generation since 1900. In 10 year blocks. From 1990 on it became the 'me' generation and the 'I want it now' generation. No saving, just put it on the credit card. Our first house came with a 20% deposit and the bank only counted one income. And mortgage could be no more than 30% of net income. Those darn women got pregnant and left their jobs!! Now a 5% deposit and both working. New car? Just add it to the mortgage. Times have charge but our memories haven't.

On 12/19/2021 at 8:25 AM, Pat & Pete said:

Hmm , isn't impatience a real big part of being foolish ? 

What's the value of patience in this situation? 

18 hours ago, bruce t said:

How many young folks have a side board full of family photos?

They have a thousand times more photos on their phone.  Although personally, I like the scalloped edges and rick-rack design around black-and-white photos from the 1950s. 

3 hours ago, jjwicklund said:

Wasn't the question  "what do you want for Christmas".

I am in good health with no underlying conditions so my only want is to wake up Christmas morning.  It don't get better than that.

True That^ . :)

Sorry for hijacking the thread . 

On 12/20/2021 at 12:26 PM, Pat & Pete said:

I'm just guessing that you don't see it .

I'm trying to see it, but the only concrete thing you've said is that the collections the kids don't want will be valuable one day, and that's not at all certain.  That's why I asked what the value of being patient is and the answer "you don't see it" isn't very illuminating.

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

Perhaps the Christmas wish is for someone to argue with?  😊

Makes sense to me. My dad used to argue for fun. Some call one form of it debate. Some call it being the devil's advocate. Some find it fun to try to persuade others to a different way of thinking or to simply open minds to see things differently. Some people just can't admit someone else might be right. Some are simply filling up time. There are many reasons for and types of arguments. This one feels to me like a time waster but that's OK if that's the goal and those participating agree with that goal.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

My brother in law had a knack of starting an argument every Christmas at the family get together. So much so the father in law started to begin the argument in the morning so it was all done and dusted by lunch time. Oh fun days. Politics. Family. Envy and a belly full of beer. Bring it on a i say.

So, I'll vent a bit.  Not about this discussion, but about family.  My wife's sister and BIL flew in yesterday and are staying with us for the next week.  So far, it's been a constant stream of negativity.  They whine about politics, weather, neighbors, on and on forever. 

All I want Christmas is good will and good cheer.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Start addressing him as the *Grinch*

And perhaps, every-time he starts up, put the movie-Grinch on the tube.

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

It was not my intent to hi-jack this thread, just to throw it out there that this should be a season of caring and tolerance.

And btw, he's not nearly as bad as she. She thinks she's the alpha female of the pack,  Female canine is aka.......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Family drama seems to be pretty common around the holidays. There was a time that such was one of the reasons we got to where we usually stayed home for Christmas. A large family gathering without any drama might be a good Christmas wish! 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 12/22/2021 at 12:56 PM, Kirk W said:

Perhaps the Christmas wish is for someone to argue with?  😊

I suppose that might be true for 'someone' , just not me . 

All I want for Christmas is peace . 

Anyway , Merry Christmas Everyone . Be careful what you wish for . ;)

Edited by Pat & Pete