OT: Fifth Wheel vs. Travel Trailer

SuiteSuccess

Posting here because of the vast knowledge in this group.  Have been looking for second trailer to pull with my Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel short bed for my kids to use or DW and I to use for shorter trips.  Previous thread I posted gave me good starting point but appears fifth wheel may quickly overload my truck.  I had a 24 foot travel trailer in the past but wonder about anyone’s experience with larger one, say 30-32 foot.  Not concerned about towing capacity but more about safety experience with two grandchildren in the back seat of truck.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

In most cases a 5th wheel will handle better than a bumper pull trailer. Bumper pull trailers can sway much more easily than the 5th wheel but alot also depends on weight distribution. 

A bumper pull trailer in our opinion is also harder to hook up than a 5th wheel. You have to get the ball lined up almost exactly in position and it is easy to overshoot it. Then you have to hook up the load bars and anti sway devices along with the safety chains none of which are needed for a 5th wheel. 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Although, TT are often less expensive, dont require a pickup truck to tow them(heck, our first TT was an 18' Nomad that we towed with our 1972 Monte Carlo) and entire floor is on 1 level.  

I think it really comes down to personal preference.  On a different thought, wait a year or so and you may be able to get some really good bargains on many RVs.  The novelty will have worn out, the reality of monthly payments for a trailer that is used sparingly and registration/insurance renewals should create a surplus of used inventory with good prices.

Marcel

Decisions.....  First. I'd imagine Carl's LGT has a camera in the tailgate so hooking up is easy.  Level floor is nice in a TT.

Our daughter and SIL just bought a slightly used 34' Arctic Fox.  I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard good things about them.  A member here, spindrift, has/had two of them.  Good enough for a repeat.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

14 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Decisions.....  First. I'd imagine Carl's LGT has a camera in the tailgate so hooking up is easy.  Level floor is nice in a TT.

Our daughter and SIL just bought a slightly used 34' Arctic Fox.  I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard good things about them.  A member here, spindrift, has/had two of them.  Good enough for a repeat.

Rick,

That’s exactly the brand I’m interested in but in the fifth wheel version I would be overweight.  I assume they bought the TT? And if so what will they pull it with?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

33 minutes ago, Star Dreamer said:

In most cases a 5th wheel will handle better than a bumper pull trailer. Bumper pull trailers can sway much more easily than the 5th wheel but alot also depends on weight distribution. 

A bumper pull trailer in our opinion is also harder to hook up than a 5th wheel. You have to get the ball lined up almost exactly in position and it is easy to overshoot it. Then you have to hook up the load bars and anti sway devices along with the safety chains none of which are needed for a 5th wheel. 

Dave, 

All those downsides I’m aware of and am willing to accept. I need something comfortable for a family of four but more 4 season for DW and I. Arctic Fox fills that bill but they are heavy in the fifth wheels. I’m not buying a new truck so TT comes into play but safety is forefront. Does a good anti sway hitch mitigate some of the safety issues?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Have been looking for second trailer to pull with my Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel short bed for my kids to use or DW and I to use for shorter trips.

Some things to consider. A 5th wheel puts 20-25% of its weight on the truck. A travel trailer should put 12-15% on the hitch. The relationship between the wheelbase of the tow vehicle and the length of the trailer is more important to stability when towing a travel trailer. (read this article).

From 2007 to 2018 we towed a 30', 32' and 34' travel trailer (GVWRs 7500-10000#) with a Chevy diesel 2500 long bed crewcab and now tow with a 3500 single rear axel long bed crewcab. The switch to the 3500 was based on cost and extra load capacity. We have towed all three trailers using the same Hensley hitch. There are no sway bars or springs to remove to unhitch. I do remove the draw bar from the receiver or the truck because it does protrude beyond the bumper. While I try hard to avoid high wind situations. We have travelled across the plains states with cross winds up to 40MPH without any sway. No sway from opposing trucks doing 60-65MPH either. The downside of the Hensley and similar ProPride hitches is the initial cost. The only issue i have had with the Hensley was that one of the jacks that tensions the weight distribution springs broke after about 10 years of service. Hensley replaced it for the cost of shipping.

Edited by trailertraveler

32 minutes ago, trailertraveler said:

Some things to consider. A 5th wheel puts 20-25% of its weight on the truck. A travel trailer should put 12-15% on the hitch. The relationship between the wheelbase of the tow vehicle and the length of the trailer is more important to stability when towing a travel trailer. (read this article).

From 2007 to 2018 we towed a 30', 32' and 34' travel trailer (GVWRs 7500-10000#) with a Chevy diesel 2500 long bed crewcab and now tow with a 3500 single rear axel long bed crewcab. The switch to the 3500 was based on cost and extra load capacity. We have towed all three trailers using the same Hensley hitch. There are no sway bars or springs to remove to unhitch. I do remove the draw bar from the receiver or the truck because it does protrude beyond the bumper. While I try hard to avoid high wind situations. We have travelled across the plains states with cross winds up to 40MPH without any sway. No sway from opposing trucks doing 60-65MPH either. The downside of the Hensley and similar ProPride hitches is the initial cost. The only issue i have had with the Hensley was that one of the jacks that tensions the weight distribution springs broke after about 10 years of service. Hensley replaced it for the cost of shipping.

Thank you. This is the type of information I was looking for…the “been there, done that.”   BTW good article and was not aware of the “no sway” hitches but just looked them up and that is part of the safety margin I was interested in. 

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl, 

I believe they bought a 36' TT.  Pulling it with a 2020 F-250 Tremor.  I don't know the weight capacities of the tow vehicle, but given the size and style of the tires, I'm guessing it's less than a regular F-250.  I have no idea what hitch they intend to  use.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Another safety consideration - in case of fire:  (Read RandyA's 5th wheel fire experience!)

Look at the emergency exit for most (if not all) 5th wheels.  Usually from a window in the bedroom. Often it's over a dresser.  Then stand on the ground and look at how high that window is from the ground.  An "exit ladder" is a joke.  With or without one, you need to be a contortionist to accomplish the exit even if you had plenty of time.  Unfortunately, your "normal" door will still be be your best (only?) exiting choice!  (Read RandyA's experience!) 

Longer TTs may have two "real" doors much closer to "ground level". 

If I had it to do over, I would have a TT again - as I did before my current 5th wheel.

On 11/17/2021 at 5:33 PM, SuiteSuccess said:

Dave, 

All those downsides I’m aware of and am willing to accept. I need something comfortable for a family of four but more 4 season for DW and I. Arctic Fox fills that bill but they are heavy in the fifth wheels. I’m not buying a new truck so TT comes into play but safety is forefront. Does a good anti sway hitch mitigate some of the safety issues?

I do believe a good anti sway device is worth the money. We used one with our weight distribution hitch when we pulled a bumper pull trailer with a 2500 truck but that was over 12 years ago. My son uses the hitch and attachments now but doesn't travel long distances with his. I was not aware of the Hensley units that trailerttraveler mention but sounds like they may be worth looking into.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Having been a member of this forum for several years, it is my impression that there are not that many regularly contributing members that own travel trailers. In the past, there have been lengthy discussions regarding the Hensley and ProPride hitches on the Good Sam forum and others. Searching them may provide useful information. In the past couple of years, I have noticed several airstreams with Hensleys so a search of the airstream forum may yield results.

1 hour ago, trailertraveler said:

Having been a member of this forum for several years, it is my impression that there are not that many regularly contributing members that own travel trailers. In the past, there have been lengthy discussions regarding the Hensley and ProPride hitches on the Good Sam forum and others. Searching them may provide useful information. In the past couple of years, I have noticed several airstreams with Hensleys so a search of the airstream forum may yield results.

Google should work with the 'generic' forum names indicated - but specific names & www sites might help:

"Good Sam Forum" = RV.Net Open Roads Forum. - It has a sub-forum for Travel Trailers.  "RV.net" - will get you there - then click on "forums"

"Airstream Forum" =  airforums.com

Edited by Pappy Yokum
web site/s

Properly set up, a TT like you describe should pull just fine behind any 3/4-1 ton SRW. You will need to have a good weight distributing hitch, with sway control. The Reese dual cam is a proven performer as well as the prior mentioned Hensley and ProPride hitches. Down side to the latter two is somewhat more involved hitching, and the price.

I’m one of the oddballs on here that pulls a 26’ TT with an HDT. The trailer I have tows horribly. That said, I have pulled similar sized but better designed trailers that were just fine. My trailer is light enough I have no need for weight distribution on my F350, but absolutely need sway control.  Even going so far as building an adaptation of the Hensley hitch for my needs. This helped, but windy days were still uncomfortable. Unfortunately I live on the prairie, and if I have to wait for no wind to go camping, I might as well sell the trailer.

All that said, I have to believe that a trailer like the Arctic Fox mentioned has a better design than my bottom of the barrel Keystone.

Edited by Moresmoke

Last year, one of my brothers bought a travel trailer to pull with his F-150.  Tariler was within truck limits, barely.  He called me when he got it home, asking about sway bars, leveling hitches, etc. because it porpoised and swayed horribly.  I asked him if the hitch was set for the trailer to be level when towing.  He had no idea, so he took it to a level lot where he could do some measuring.  That's when he noticed that 3 of the 4 tires were very low on air.  Pumped them up to pressure noted on sidewall and like magic, it pulled just fine.

Moral of the story is, make sure all the little stuff is correct before spending $$$.

That said, on Carl's advice, I spent some time this evening studying the hitches mentioned above.  While they look hokey and cumbersome, they seem to work pretty well.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

On 11/17/2021 at 6:47 PM, trailertraveler said:

I'm right there with you on the Hensley hitches. We have one for each tow vehicle. Our first one is on our Volvo and the second one is used on our 2005 ford F350 super duty srw crew cab. You're right about them being pricey but once you pull either camper it was easy to justify. I'm not rich but it's money well spent.  Our TH is a Cyclone king and our TT is a Grand Design 32 foot 2800 all season bunk house.

I used a ProPride hitch towing a 12K x 30ft travel trailer behind a long bed Dodge diesel. It worked very well. Especially in cross winds conditions and with 80mph trucks and buses passing in the hammer lane. Rig handled like on rails.

It could be a jackass to hitch up on uneven ground. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

There is a learning curve to putting a square peg in a square hole compared to backing a ball under the hitch. The drawbar (stinger) and the receiver box of the hitch must be on the same plane. This can take adjustments while hitching as the tow vehicle is moved back.

Unlike most weight distribution and sway control hitches, the components do not have to be disassembled to unhook. The sway control and weight distribution is permanently mounted on the trailer frame. The drawbar (stinger) can remain on the tow vehicle or be removed by simply pulling the pin that holds it in the tow vehicle receiver. 

I told this story before but one time boondocking 9 mi sw of the middle of nowhere I creeps back and “clunk” Oh no! I wailed. I’ve knocked the hitch sideways now! Dang it! I get out to look. The stinger had engaged so perfectly I closed the latches by hand. I’m, like, not sure how I managed that but I’ll take it.

Another time at Ambassador RV in Reno with interested people watching it took eleven teen tries on one of their beautiful level concrete pads. Have to admit helpers do get confused when they push the hitch to “line it up” and away it goes the other way. 

They are really nice on the road.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

21 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

The drawbar (stinger) and the receiver box of the hitch must be on the same plane.

This applies to both the vertical and horizontal. Much deviation and the stinger will bind on one of the sides or the top or bottom of the hitch receiver before getting far enough in to engage the locking latches.

I too have had one shot hookups and others where multiple attempts were required. DW is pretty good at setting the height and angle of the hitch box.

Edited by trailertraveler

Have watched several YouTubes on both hitches.  Looks like the Hensley Arrow may be a bit easier to adjust in 3 dimensions by adjusting the bars.  Am I correct?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

26 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Have watched several YouTubes on both hitches.  Looks like the Hensley Arrow may be a bit easier to adjust in 3 dimensions by adjusting the bars.  Am I correct?

The spring bars and thus the alignment of the receiver box of the Hensley are easily adjusted using the screw jacks. I use an electric drill. If you adjust the screw jacks before letting the tongue down, you can use an electric drill to set the spring bar tension to the desired tension. The marks on the screw jack casing make this easy. When unhooking, if you raise the tongue until the screw jacks turn easily by hand, they can be loosened the rest of the way with the drill. That is also usually the position where the stinger can be easily pulled from the receiver hitch.

No real life experience with the ProPride. In fact, I can not recall ever seeing one in use and I tend to look at hitches as I walk the dog through campgrounds where we are staying. Of course the orange Hensley kind of jumps out at you even if you are not looking for it. Neither seem to be very common. The most Hensleys I have ever seen in one campground is four (including mine). Most folks have no idea what it is and even many RV techs and service centers have no idea how to hook one up. Without a stinger, hooking up is impossible. So, I consider that as a theft deterrent.

.  I have towed at TT successfully for over 40 years with a E-Qual-I-zer brand hitch.  I currently tow a 12000# 32 ft. Arctic Fox trailer with a Ram 3500 SRW and it is rock solid regarding sway.  Go to E-trailer or the hitch manufactures web site to determine the operation of the hitch.  The only downside is that they are noisey.  Don't overload your rig.

It is true that controlling sway is the proper tongue weight and the ratio of length between the tow vehicle.  I am sold on the quality of the Northwood brand along with Outdoors RV (companion companies)  All manufactures have glitches so be prepared to do some work on your RV.   

On 11/17/2021 at 1:41 PM, SuiteSuccess said:

Posting here because of the vast knowledge in this group.  Have been looking for second trailer to pull with my Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel short bed for my kids to use or DW and I to use for shorter trips.  Previous thread I posted gave me good starting point but appears fifth wheel may quickly overload my truck.  I had a 24 foot travel trailer in the past but wonder about anyone’s experience with larger one, say 30-32 foot.  Not concerned about towing capacity but more about safety experience with two grandchildren in the back seat of truck.

Hey are you also on a Facebook 5th wheel site? I thought I saw something just like this.