MORryde independent suspension and disk brake conversion, is it worth the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

mr. cob

Howdy All,

I know many of you folks have this setup from the factory and I am sure some have had the work done to their older trailer so I figured I could get some honest answers asking about these products on this forum.

I don't have an expensive trailer but it serves me well for my use, I have had Chad, install a very nice solar system, installed new Lithium batteries and unless something happens to it I do not plan to replace the trailer with another one.  I have towed my trailer in the last 7 years at least 75-80,000 miles.  I have never liked the way the stock brakes work, I have replaced the stock spring shackles with heavy duty ones, have replaced the stock spring bushings TWICE with grease-able bushing and wet bolts, have had to have the stock rear axle spring mounts re-welded to the frame as they have broken during use. The last time I had to have a spring mount welded they must have not gotten it aligned properly as the tire on the rear axle where the mount was welded is worn quite badly and will need to be replaced, this wear has come on suddenly so I am assuming something else has gone bad and needs to be addressed.

So rather then repair, again, a suspension-braking system that is marginal at best as I plan to keep this trailer till my traveling days are done should I just replace this junk with a quality system and be done with it?  I could repair what I have for $1,000-1,500 dollars OR replace it for $7-8,000 dollars and not have to worry about the brakes not working or the springs, shackles and bushings going bad for the rest of my traveling years.  So those who have the MORryde system what are your opinions of it, if you made the change would you do it again, bottom line is it worth the $$$$$$$$$

Thanks for any information you can share.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

First off, what are the actual axle weights on the 5er and axle weight ratings? It appears to tow level so that shouldn't be a factor for suspension wear.

You can check axle alignment by measuring from the center of pin back diagonally to the center of one of the wheels. Then take the same measurement to the other wheel center. They should be identical or within 1/8 of an inch, give or take 1/16 of an inch. If the measurements are off you can loosen up the suspension and straighten the axle.

Trailer axle alignment made easy.

If the trailer has ever been jack-knifed it can bend the suspension and throw things out of alignment as well as cause excessive tire wear.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Disk upgrade worth it. I did mine my self and world of difference. Ordered everything from etrailer.com. Now I did go with Bluedot air over hydraulic system also at same time. Can't comment on independant system. My 3 axle Teton rides smooth. Nothing even moves inside traveling. Think I would put hydraulic leveling system if I didn't have it rather than IS. Sure beat pulling in, looking at level, backup, put dunage under wheels on low side, pulling up on dunage and check level again. Usually I get it right now from experience. Sure be nice to hit a button and watch it work it's magic. I would do that myself also and likely in my near future. I question IS as an upgrade. They fail also.

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I can't comment on the IS, either, sorry, but I share your concerns about the running gear and made some of the same upgrades that you've already done.  The shackles are an obvious weak point and, like you, I found the MR shackles to be worthwhile.  While I was at it, I also changed out the 3 leaf springs for 6 leaf springs rated for an additional 500 lbs.  Lippert CS said no problem. 

Disk brakes are probably the single best upgrade I've made, bar none.  Maybe less with your HDT, but one panic stop and I figure the brakes are paid for.

It sounds like your biggest concern is the spring hangers and I agree that they are the most likely point of failure.  My *theory* is that hanger failures are most likely due to "jacking" the trailer into a site at a sharp angle to the TV.  First time I saw the wheels bent in opposite directions I vowed to avoid such maneuvers and avoid the extreme stress on the hangers.  I also added a Morryde Xbrace to the center hangers.  I was going to do all three, but Morryde CS said really only the center hangers needed the reinforcement.  For about 100 bucks this is a no-brainer when doing shackles.  While I was at it, I also added shocks.  Hard to say how much they help - I'm not going to ride back there to find out - but it seems that things don't move around as much.

John, Jean and Mea the Super Springer Spaniel
2019 Entegra Aspire 44B
2022 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk

Hi mr cob we have Morryde 8000 I/S 3 axle and it rides great and things do not bounce around in the trailer. We had ours aligned at a truck/trailer repair place and doing an alignment with a laser alignment machine makes a big difference than a laser and tape measure as you know. 
ALIGNMENT SPECIFICATIONS
Camber (+0.5 degrees to +0.8 degrees) Toe (+0.01 inches to +0.06 inches)

I have had trailers without the MORRyde IS and now with it.  I was actually looking to upgrade my last trailer to IS, but ultimately sold it to buy my current trailer that came with IS and electric over hydraulic disc brakes.  I will not own another trailer that doesn’t have the MORRyde.  It tows so much nicer and rides much smoother.  I will add all of my trailers have been two axle rigs, so I haven’t had one with three axles yet.  If/when I can convince my DW to let me upgrade to a proper toy hauler, it will be a triple IS rig.  Of course I might need to win the lottery to afford the toy haulers I’m looking at though 😜.  For someone like you who I know puts miles on their rig and plans to keep it “forever”, I would say it would be a worthwhile upgrade.  You want to make sure the proper shop does the work.  Whether that means going directly to MORRyde or having an authorized service center do the work is up to you.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I had a HitchHiker 5er, ~15k lb, that I put IS on 6-7yrs ago.  It made a huge difference in smooth towing.  At the time i oversized the brakes but didn’t go for disc.

Three years ago we bought a new Vilano, ~16k lb 5er.  Given the history of VanLeigh running gear issues we’d decided to replace with IS within the first year of ownership.  Very happy we did for ride, AND peace of mind.  The IS suspension is not only more robust than traditional springs, but if it were to fail the failure mode is much more graceful.  Absolutely an IS fan. 

On our Vilano we also elected to put on Kodiak disc brakes at MORryde.  HUGE, noticeable difference.  Prior to that, and with HH with oversized brakes, I would have at least one or two stressful stops each year where someone cut you off, of light change issue where someone stopped short, etc.  With drum brakes these we’re always standing on the peddle and *hoping* I’d stop in time.  With disc brakes, I just stop!  Best I can explain it would be that disc brakes versus drums for stopping are what diesel is versus gas for pulling.  They just put a smile on your face and give you confidence. 

Only you can decide if it’s worth it for you.  But the fact you intend to keep your rig for a while, and have the $ to put Lithium batteries in, suggest that MORryde IS and disc brakes would be a worthwhile investment for you.  Only bad part right now is that I’ve heard MORryde is booked out a year or so. 

Good luck with your decision, and safe travels. 

Ron and Pat, and 2 Portuguese Water Dogs

2013 Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax w/SuperGlide

2005 NuWa HitchHiker DA 31.5 LK w/MorRyde IS

We changed out our triple 8k axles with leaf springs and drum brakes to the Morryde IS suspension and disc brakes after our one year warranty on our trailer was up. We had a leaf spring shackle tear thru on our trip back to the factory for our one year warranty items and we were down on the side of the road for 5 hours due to a $10 part. All three axles had shifted at different angles because of that one shackle failure and no way to re- position them correctly. The factory took care of the costs and getting a mobile tech out but I was glad I had already made an appointment at Morryde. We had also had a drum brake failure on that same trip. The new discs brakes work so much better than the drums and the suspension seems to float much better over bumps. Plus the peace of mind if we have an issue with one, we can remove that tire and strap it up to get to a safe location if needed. I have reserve weight capacity on my axles as I do not get close to my 24k axle weight capacity (I am around 20k on my axles at fully loaded weight). 

It was well worth the extra money to change it out to the IS suspension.

Dave

Edited by Star Dreamer

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

.. there's this new invention out for heavy vehicles I heard... brakes operated by compressed air... do you think it could catch on? 

Dexter 8 on 6.5" bolt pattern 10K air brake axle

I'll shaddap now.

Back to the regular thread programming... 

Edited by noteven

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Howdy All,

Thanks to everyone who has replies to my questions I really appreciate the comments and advice.

I had contacted MORryde by email last Saturday asking about cost and where this could be done.  I had watched a video put up by some full time folks who had this done just a year ago, on their web page they listed the cost to have the triple 7K axle IS system and disk brakes as $8,500.00 and change.  This morning I got an email from MORryde the cost for this same package now is $11,600.00 in Indiana at their shop is taking appointments in 2023.

There is a shop in Grants Pass OR, that is authorized by MORryde to do this work I am waiting to hear back from them as to cost which according to MORryde in Indiana will be HIGHER and when it could be done.

So now I have to decide is it worth 12K plus to up grade the trailer which I hope to be able to use for another 3-5 years before selling both truck and trailer or just do the minimum to make this trailer safe to use and tow.  If I were younger, it's a no brainier I'd just spend the money but at 73.7 I also have to consider do I really want to spend that much money on an upgrade that I will get next to nothing back from when it comes time to sell.  8K was reasonable, present cost of 12K is making this a difficult decision.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

4 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

Thanks to everyone who has replies to my questions I really appreciate the comments and advice.

I had contacted MORryde by email last Saturday asking about cost and where this could be done.  I had watched a video put up by some full time folks who had this done just a year ago, on their web page they listed the cost to have the triple 7K axle IS system and disk brakes as $8,500.00 and change.  This morning I got an email from MORryde the cost for this same package now is $11,600.00 in Indiana at their shop is taking appointments in 2023.

There is a shop in Grants Pass OR, that is authorized by MORryde to do this work I am waiting to hear back from them as to cost which according to MORryde in Indiana will be HIGHER and when it could be done.

So now I have to decide is it worth 12K plus to up grade the trailer which I hope to be able to use for another 3-5 years before selling both truck and trailer or just do the minimum to make this trailer safe to use and tow.  If I were younger, it's a no brainier I'd just spend the money but at 73.7 I also have to consider do I really want to spend that much money on an upgrade that I will get next to nothing back from when it comes time to sell.  8K was reasonable, present cost of 12K is making this a difficult decision.

Dave

I wouldn't spend that on my Teton

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I wouldn't spend that on my Teton

Howdy Glenn,

I am thinking it's too much money for the foreseeable time I have left to enjoy this type of activity.  Still I can't leave my trailer in the shape it's in and I can't wait years or months to have it done.  Going to be checking with a local shop "Torklift" who makes a lot of great products and installs those of other reputable companies. Back in my truck camper days they set my 3500 Dodge up for hauling the HUGE camper that I had at the time to also tow my tandem axle 16 foot long enclosed trailer.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On my first trip with the Carriage (my first trip with any RV) I was coming to a stop at a yellow light when a two guys pulled in front of me to try to beat it.  The front one changed his mind and slammed on the brakes.  The second one hit him.  I avoided the whole mess by about a foot.  When I got back from that trip I had 11.5" discs added.  That required an axle upgrade to two 8000# Dexter wet hubs.  The disc brakes are worth every penny. Stopping distance is WAY down.

Two years ago we added the CRE3000 system.  If money had allowed we would have gone to the full independent.  Still, the 3000 cut way down on things moving about in the trailer.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

disk brakes are easy to install. If you can put them on a car, you can on your camper also. That not a real costly upgrade and well worth it. Stopping is a big difference. 

On 10/25/2021 at 12:09 PM, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

Dave

Dave - I think you have answered your own question here. We just entered our 9th year of full timing and our fifth wheel carriage has the factory springs and drum brakes on it. Sure the rig might have handled better with the suspension upgrades, but the factory equipment has worked well for us.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy All,

Just to close this thread out, THANKS to everyone who has participated in it I appreciate your input and advice.  My stock suspension is junk, it's worn out and needs to be replaced, I have decided to go with Road Master, slipper springs and shocks, from calls I have made to people who actually have this system and the research I have done I feel comfortable doing this and the price isn't extreme.  I have an appointment made to have it installed December 14th.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Good luck with the install Dave and we’ll see you in December.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg