Visible Router Recommendations for Hotspot

Ski

I use a GL.iNET GL-AR150 Mini Travel Router. Available from Amazon for $26.50.

GL.iNET GL-AR150 Mini Travel Router from Amazon

Or you could opt for the GL.iNet GL-AR750S-Ext for more features.

GL.iNet GL-AR750S-Ext

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

I was also going to recommend The GL.iNET routers.  The documentation with them, at least the models I have,,  are not the best.  But with a little muddling through, you should get it set up,  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2020 at 1:03 PM, Tom_M said:

I use a GL.iNET GL-AR150 Mini Travel Router. Available from Amazon for $26.50.

GL.iNET GL-AR150 Mini Travel Router from Amazon

Tom, I got this router after seeing you recommend it for the same reason Ski wants one:  Using my Visible phone for more than one device.

But I'm having trouble setting it up...what I've done so far is outlined in a post I made here:

Can you walk me through how to set it up?  I'm not technically minded, but I can follow directions.  😄

Feel free to PM me if you wish.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

On 9/28/2020 at 11:01 AM, SWharton said:

What I do is link my computer to the Visible hot spot and then everyone can use my computer address. No need for a router.

Can you explain how to link two computers together so that they can use the same hotspot?  I have a Windows 10 and DH has a Chromebook.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

On W10 I go to PC Settings and search for Hot Spot, go to Mobile Hotspot and connect the computer to the phone. That gives you a wifi signal and everything can connect to that. Works fine for everything we do from some streaming, email, web browsing. Make sure you have everything set up on the phone and PC no to go to sleep.

7 hours ago, SWharton said:

On W10 I go to PC Settings and search for Hot Spot, go to Mobile Hotspot and connect the computer to the phone. That gives you a wifi signal and everything can connect to that. Works fine for everything we do from some streaming, email, web browsing. Make sure you have everything set up on the phone and PC no to go to sleep.

I went to Settings on my computer, found the Mobile Hotspot page.  I turned on "Share my Internet connection with other devices."  Selected "Wi-Fi" for "Share my Internet connection over."

Went to DH's computer and found my computer's Network name in the list of Wi-Fi networks available.  Clicked on it and entered the Network password given on the Mobile Hotspot page and got this message:

"Failed to connect to network "moto g(7) power 1599 unrecognized error: too many stas"

So, while DH's computer used my network's name and password, it's actually seeing the Visible phone.  And, of course, the Visible phone will only connect to one device at a time.  So this doesn't work for me.

Am I missing a step from above?

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

4 hours ago, SWharton said:

Did you first get the wifi from your phone connected to the computer? Once Pc to phone is connected, then you turn on the computer hot spot.

Yes, the computer connects to the phone's hotspot automatically when the hotspot is turned on.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

51 minutes ago, SWharton said:

I wouldn't be concerned about what is seen. Once your computer connects to the Visible, everything else should connect to your PC.

But it didn't.  I outlined above what steps I took and what the outcome was.  

50 minutes ago, SWharton said:

I use W10, is that what you are using?

Windows 10.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

I have the same setup, except I am using the more versatile AR-750. I have set the same one up for a friend who is not so computer literate. The document is too big to post here. If you PM me, I would be happy to email it.

A couple of things to note. First, only use the Visible phone to provide internet to the router. Do not use it to try to access the router's admin page. In fact, Wifi for the Visible phone should be turned off.

Also, there are two USB ports on the router. The smaller one (like the one on your phone) is only to power the router. Make sure it's plugged into the power supply that came with it and any lights are on. The larger USB port (that looks like one on a PC or laptop is the one you plug your Visible phone into.

Once you have done that. Connect to the routers user interface using another phone, PC, tablet, or anything that can display a web page. That's how you configure the router. Let me know if you want a more detailed explanation or a copy of the document.

I hope I made this clearer and not more confusing.

Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45OPP
Cummins ISL 450

Visit us at schwarz.org!

Thank you, Michael.  I sent you a PM with my email address so that you can send me the document you mentioned.

I did have a question about this statement regarding the router: "Make sure it's plugged into the power supply that came with it and any lights are on."  My router didn't come with a power supply.  It did come with a power cord, one end of which is inserted in the router and the other end I've been inserting into the USB port on my computer...the green light comes on, so I know the router is getting power.  Perhaps this is what you were talking about?

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

https://www.reddit.com/r/Visible/comments/ddp40l/zte_r2_and_glinet_glmt300nv2_mini_travel_router/

The photo in the link of the phone and GL.iNet router hooked together might or might not be helpful. 

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I purchased the GL.iNet router Bill Joyce mentioned in his post. Couldn't pass up the Mango color. :)

10 bucks and change. Used a $10 coupon from Amazon. Arrives Tuesday. Will be using on Visible to complement my AT&T Mobley. Visible hotspot 22.9 Mpbs. Mobley hotspot 25.4 Mbps. Ran download test a couple minutes ago in Floral City, FL.

Yes, Floral City with no flowers in Citrus County with no citrus. I thought that was interesting. It doesn't take much to amuse me.

I want to give a shout out to mrschwarz (Michael) for helping me get the router set up.  I was successfully able to do so after he sent me the document he referenced above.  I would never have been able to figure out how do get the router set up all on my own!

Thanks, Michael!

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul