Canadian TV in USA

52 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

Forgive my question, but is there something special about Canadian TV? I would have just assumed that they watched whatever TV shows here that tickled their fancy.

I guess the reason I am asking is because I use shaw direct satellite in Canada for my TV and have a shaw shaw direct traveller dish on our rv. We have already lost a majority of the channels south of the Canadian border and we are, I beleive, about to loose the rest. Just wondering what other snowbirds are doing.

4 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Forgive my question, but is there something special about Canadian TV? I would have just assumed that they watched whatever TV shows here that tickled their fancy.

Canadian news coverage is far superior to the narrow US focused news on US TV. Also we have several advert free public supported channels that carry a range of programs not available on PBS, plus we get several PBS feeds too.

Then there is better sports coverage for Ice hockey, curling, and figure skating.

The loss of Canadian satellite coverage in the southern 'provinces' due to aging related satellite hardware failures and the beam angle of the remaining satellite will be hard to replace. No easy answers.

John

Edited by hiljoball
added sports coverage

John
Titanium 29EX 29/34 Fifthwheel

We cut cable/satellite (used to use Starchoice dish in Florida circa 2008 till it no longer worked), several years ago, as couldn't justify all the repeats of old series etc and having to subscribe to umpteen packages just to source one of each item on them.  

Anyway's that aside, we've been viewing from the internet for almost a decade now.   We use a VPN and watch many channels from overseas of shows we've followed since the early 60's as well live TV.   I recall we also were able to access when in the USA over a decade ago some of the channels from our Starchoice that became shaw on line also.   Is that an option for you?   Aren't you able to watch your shows you subscribe to with Shaw on line?

Just a thought if you can access shaw channels on line, then you should be able to watch that way.

20 minutes ago, FULLTIMEWANABE said:

We cut cable/satellite (used to use Starchoice dish in Florida circa 2008 till it no longer worked), several years ago, as couldn't justify all the repeats of old series etc and having to subscribe to umpteen packages just to source one of each item on them.  

Anyway's that aside, we've been viewing from the internet for almost a decade now.   We use a VPN and watch many channels from overseas of shows we've followed since the early 60's as well live TV.   I recall we also were able to access when in the USA over a decade ago some of the channels from our Starchoice that became shaw on line also.   Is that an option for you?   Aren't you able to watch your shows you subscribe to with Shaw on line?

Just a thought if you can access shaw channels on line, then you should be able to watch that way.

Thanks for the reply just looking at online options now trying to figure out how to get enough data.

6 hours ago, FULLTIMEWANABE said:

Visible maybe???   Unlimited Verizon owned.     Do share what you decide on and which provider as good to share 👍

Yes, good internet sounds like the ticket and then a streaming device, Roku would be my choice. I just checked my Roku and there are a number of Canadian channels available: Canada TV, Canada One, NTV Canada, Red TV Canada, and a number more. Also with the use an appropriate app and a VPN on your phone you could cast to your TV and make it think you are still in Canada. And you could just invest in satellite TV like Dish or DirecTv but I think you money would be better spent oh internet streaming.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

On 10/23/2022 at 6:22 AM, Chalkie said:

Yes, good internet sounds like the ticket and then a streaming device, Roku would be my choice. I just checked my Roku and there are a number of Canadian channels available: Canada TV, Canada One, NTV Canada, Red TV Canada, and a number more. Also with the use an appropriate app and a VPN on your phone you could cast to your TV and make it think you are still in Canada. And you could just invest in satellite TV like Dish or DirecTv but I think you money would be better spent oh internet streaming.

You can use shaw streaming if you can get enough data in the US so it looks like Starlink for me.