Amazon devices will soon automatically share your Internet with neighbors

I also just read this.  JB doesn't give a and glad I have none of those spy devices.  No interest in them at all.  Cheers to many and jeers to a few. 

Retired Acct & SEC CFP.  Former legislative aide and pilot to two Texas Governors, State Senators, Adjutant General, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1739912699644241&type=3

Edited by NamMedevac 70

Sorry about that link to my credentials and they are spy devices when the hackers get into your network.  This has been reported numerous times in reputable tech websites that use the term spy and spying over a year now such as arstechnica and others .  Just do your own google search.  Save us from the puritans.  

Edited by NamMedevac 70

On 5/29/2021 at 7:37 PM, Dutch_12078 said:

I shared this article with my son-in-law who is a certified computer expert (education and employment) and he actually understood and could explain to me what a mesh network was. He thought the idea of "helping" others was crap since most "neighbors" would be on similar internet connections and bandwidth. He has a highly computerized home taking advantage of Google and Amazon both. He did have security concerns and said to turn it off

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

2 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

I shared this article with my son-in-law who is a certified computer expert (education and employment) and he actually understood and could explain to me what a mesh network was. He thought the idea of "helping" others was crap since most "neighbors" would be on similar internet connections and bandwidth. He has a highly computerized home taking advantage of Google and Amazon both. He did have security concerns and said to turn it off

I don't disagree with your son-in-law at all, Gary...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

"He did have security concerns and said to turn it off."

As there will always be a few snoopy neighbors or maybe a would be hacker or two then these types of tech articles are not crap and  in fact informative to many.  I guarantee those who poo poo these articles use password protected wifi and/or other encrypted methods for their internet adventures and if they say no then they are.     Happy Traveler.

https://www.facebook.com/498thMemorialPageVietnamPilots/?ref=pages_you_manage  (1970)

Retired Acct & SEC CFP plus former legislative aide (1968) and pilot to two Texas Governors (1971 to 74).

Edited by NamMedevac 70

In the interest of clarity I assume you can opt out after they start it if you don't know about it by the "start" date. I don't have it but did not get around to letting a couple of relatives know about this if they don't already.

On 6/2/2021 at 8:18 AM, packnrat said:

i have no cam on this computer, and cover my iphone cam. and when not in use i have this little box for the phone. a protection case really ( i am rough on some things) but doubles as a fareaday box.

As usual you are a wise cautious one. 

No problems or loss of anything for over 20 years.  Cheers

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1738689559766555&type=3

T17lRpHm.jpgQaLGwbZm.jpg

Edited by NamMedevac 70

I just contacted a son in law about this as I know they have an alexa but no ring cam. He had not heard of this and found it while I was talking about it and immediately turned it off.  Also I heard it discussed on a radio program this afternoon and the big beef is the way this was done automatically with no notice and you had to opt out vs opt in. 

I have 5 Ring cameras around the outside of my home. Battery spotlights doorbell and Stickups over the garage and the back patio. I have no cameras in the house except a Fire Show 5" in the kitchen. I'll soon be adding one in the garage as an intercom. We have covers over all our computer cameras and that is it. All of our TVs and computers also have Amazon Fire TV sticks or the previous generation. Our new Bose Smart 300 Soundbar has Alexa built in too, as do my Bose QC35 and QC35 II headphones. My bedside reader is the newest Amazon Fire HD 8"plus tablet.

The key to security for Ring cameras is to opt out and to have two factor authentication turned on. That's it. I don't like Google but do have the Nest learning thermostat.

Why trust Amazon and not Google? Because Amazon won't sell my info to third parties unless I order from them on Amazon. Why? Because Amazon actually sells things AND services. They want me to buy from them not a third party. All Google has to sell is my personal information to third parties without express permissionand they do sell that.

If you are worried about privacy then get the FCC to repeal the 2017 law/ruling allowing your Internet Service Provider be they cellular Internet, ground based cable/fiber, or satellite, to sell all your browsing information to third parties without paying us or having to ask permission. Do a Google search for it - too political to discuss here.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I am amused that you are so amused. You just gave yourself away sport.  Eat your heart out.  As I said earlier knuckle head I am not worried about FB, Amazon about my privacy as I have nothing to hide and I don't care who knows about my buying habits on the internet.  They are welcome plus I see very few ADs due to my settings.  Get a life or read a book and place me on your ignore list as I have others and now you.  Burp

Retired Acct & SEC CFP. Former legislative aide and civilian/Army pilot to two Texas Governors.

https://www.facebook.com/CaptBillPerkinsUNRescuePilot/?ref=pages_you_manage

uqTBweQm.jpg

This only the beginning

Edited by NamMedevac 70

Just a thought on this... I have seen this topic posted (FB) in West Michigan, by a respectable termed-out state-level politician that appears to be positioning for another run for office.    The focus of the comment was "infringement of privacy" and "Big Brotherism".   This issue could go political very fast...

As for my thoughts?   I managed Tech Support for a couple large organizations for many years, including Security.   This is worrisome - but Amazon is no novice to these issues.   I think we need more information before judging.   And... with G5 (network speeds) and AI (Artificial Intelligence) technology rapid advances, the issues of 'personal' and 'hyper' inter-networking are only going to become more pronounced over time.   Interesting times we live in! 

Edited by Jim & Alice

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Bill (Joyce) I agree. But FB and Amazon are after our ISPs sell all our browsing data without permission or notification. And I use both FB amd Amazon right now. My FB is locked down and only friends can see what is there. No friend request on my page unless I invite someone and open my gates for an pre-arranged time to become a friend. I do not care about numbers only that my friends are. Not strangers feeding my ego. Not popularity. I outgrew that when I turned 30.

If you are online, your privacy was already, and is now invaded, and your data taken without your permission, albeit legally by your Internet Provider, by order of the FCC and congress every time you connect to the Internet.

So be concerned folks.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Nam,

We are similar as we do no banking on our Android phones and we keep an Air Gap on our passwords. We do our surfing at home on desktops which are kept up to date and secure. I read and take steps to do the temp fixes/work-arounds in the registry and elsewhere until we get an update to fix it. We block everything we didn't ask for and if no text or message left we don't worry. Our data use combined has been less than 512MB most months. We keep unlimited just for emergencies. With US Mobile it's only $30 a line with no throttling on Verizon towers and with 5G. (They also have GSM services)

Our full size computers and Surface Tablets are our only place we surf and do emails and banking with only one computer actually doing the banking.

We use Nord VPN to block the ISPs from seeing what we go to online. They see the websites I believe but not what we are doing there. A little more privacy. Not much. But outside of our ISPs it works extremely well.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Okay since FB was mentioned in reference to me let me say over the many years FB has allowed me to reestablish contact with many people in my hometown and HS class from a long distance.  Also get up to date info on them and the many folks I worked with over seas as a civilian helicopter pilot plus renewed contact with guys I served with in the active Army (Vietnam) and Army Guard plus some of the Vietnamese refugees whose lives I saved as a volunteer UN rescue pilot in the south China Sea in 1980. 

Those people were resettled in Germany and I am still in contact with a few.  I use FB to maintain contact with many of the others I just mentioned.  Many of these people were curious about my present status and experiences over the years. I could not have done all this without FB. 

The many photos I posted on FB also serve as proof of who I am and what I have done in a nation full of fakers and phonies.  This of course bothers some people because of their jealously but TS.  I have been called liar by the jealous ones on other forums until they see the photos, news articles and other info on FB.    

Many many of my "stranger" FB friends are friends of friends and ask me to friend them and many are women from everywhere including good old USA. 

Because of FB my HS class reunion honored me from afar for my Vietnam combat service and receiving the Purple Heart medal and all this was in the local news media.

Although I have no respect or use for MZ or JB or BG their products have been very useful to me for free of charge including cheap Amazon Prime subscription.  Besides a few RV forums I am member of several active FB forums on camping, fishing, Veterans, etc.   Anything else knuckle head??     I really do feel sorry for those w

4FFOD2Vm.jpg

The beginning has begun

Edited by NamMedevac 70

Jim,

I agree. Did you mean 5G instead of G5? If not then what is G5? I believe we agree on how far reaching our current lack of privacy over money has become. Most folks don't read links and won't Google anything here in response to any post that they disagree with. That's fine. I don't work here anymore just pop in. I do care about my friends here and we know who we are. So do stop by. I am kind of overwhelmed with the second year of upgrading the backyard and the new shed/tiny workshop. Electric in and deck going in and we have to clean up from the contractor that destroyed my gravel area with concrete washout and digging indiscriminately. And I am again digitizing our movies and Hi8 Videos. My old Sony Hi8 VCR stopped playing without issues so we had to by another and my website is still not redone with our new host. So I am twice as busy as before. Hope my little news posts help some anyway.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Nam,

I am the opposite in that we have a few lifelong friends. Only two of my three real friends for decades are on FB. I have lost two more and my next younger brother in the last ten years.

I have found that for folks who have never been military, never left their hometown or state but for a few days or a week at a time, are sometimes very jealous. As well I find it usual for anything we have actually done, that just because they haven't or are afraid to try like stationaries who hate the thought of being away from their hometown or travel in an RV easily exceeds their capacity to believe. I try to be careful with the ones who ask and are not rude.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Jim they sure are interesting times. I agree that trade-offs online are the norm. But with a little extra work security risks can be reduced.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998