Amazon devices will soon automatically share your Internet with neighbors

38 minutes ago, RV_ said:

Jim,

I agree. Did you mean 5G instead of G5? If not then what is G5? I believe we agree on how far reaching our current lack of privacy over money has become. Most folks don't read links and won't Google anything here in response to any post that they disagree with. That's fine. I don't work here anymore just pop in. I do care about my friends here and we know who we are. So do stop by. I am kind of overwhelmed with the second year of upgrading the backyard and the new shed/tiny workshop. Electric in and deck going in and we have to clean up from the contractor that destroyed my gravel area with concrete washout and digging indiscriminately. And I am again digitizing our movies and Hi8 Videos. My old Sony Hi8 VCR stopped playing without issues so we had to by another and my website is still not redone with our new host. So I am twice as busy as before. Hope my little news posts help some anyway.

Hi, Derek!   Yes, I did mean 5G, not G5.   Chalk it off to gittin' old!   What I see is that (5G+AI+ miniaturization) is going to produce some interesting 'networking' technology & applications in the coming years.   And I do agree with the privacy issues... Question is, "How do we control/manage the technology"?   And if I get in your region, for sure I would love to stop in and visit some more.   Always enjoy your company and thoughts.    We are in Michigan right now, probably until late Fall... new grandchild coming.   Come Winter, back to Arizona, then in Spring we resume travels again, Good Lord willing.    And Derek, I enjoy your advice and info on the site... Thank You for what you do.    

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Jim,

Hey come on by anytime. We've done a complete refurb of this place. The feeling is mutual. Sorry I did not come back until now. I got off the Naproxin and Flexeril over the last month and intentionally lost 50 pounds  I'd been on for back pain and spasms for twenty years and more. It appears it masked gout and my CBD works great, but a month after getting drug free, Last Friday/Sat the sheets hurt on my foot and I've been unable yo walk for a few days. So I've been out of pocket for a week. All good now. Never had a flare up and now Lynn's got me on tart cherry juice and supplements. All's well again. Getting old is not for the faint of heart.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Gary,

I have these:

Linksys Velop triband

They are pretty much plug and play and are very fast.

I bought them new before we moved to use here. But Centurylink copper pair 100Mbps uses a gateway not a modem. They would work but are not ipv 6 so I'm selling them and getting their newer IPV6 system.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

10 hours ago, RV_ said:

Gary,

I have these:

Linksys Velop triband

They are pretty much plug and play and are very fast.

I bought them new before we moved to use here. But Centurylink copper pair 100Mbps uses a gateway not a modem. They would work but are not ipv 6 so I'm selling them and getting their newer IPV6 system.

Those are not what Amazon proposes however. What Amazon wants to do is create a mesh network using Amazon devices. So, think of it this way, you have Centurylink, another neighbor has Comcast, and yet another uses a cell hotspot and you all have an internet enabled Amazon device (Dot, Show, etc.).  Now the hotspot is slower than the other two but Amazon is going to help out by "borrowing" a slice of your bandwidth to boost the speed of the slowest connection. 

And therein lies the problem. Amazon is making this effort in stealth by doing it under the table and requiring an opt out instead of an opt in.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Gary, I know that and decided to opt out. I just went into my Alexa App, found Amazon Sidewalk, and switched it from enabled to disabled.

My answer and Velop system were answering your link to Mesh networks which had little to do with an international mesh network and Amazon engineered system.

With a normal modem etc. (not Centurylink's gateways) the Velop mesh network plays well from the start, automatically with their guided setup.

I'm well aware of exactly what Amazon has decided to do and changed from wait and see, to Nah not doing it!

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998