What type of hitch ? 5th or ball ?

Grassy

Folks,

I am buying a one ton soon and was just going to go with the hitch offered by the truck company until several folks mentioned a ball hitch.

I was under the impression that a ball hitch was more for horse / utility trailers and they had a tendency to break 5th wheel trailers.   I gather this is now incorrect.

I have been told that instead of a for / aft motion, with a ball you get of hobby horse or rocking motion when towing.

My 5th is a Arctic Fox 29-5T.

I haven't bought my replacement truck yet so this is a good time to research.

Thoughts ?

Thanks

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

I have a B&W Turnover ball hitch. I could tow a gooseneck, however, the manufacturer of my RV was very clear that the frame was not designed for gooseneck towing therefore I have the Companion hitch. 

With that in mind I would check with the manufacturer before making your decision.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Howdy!

Check into a Reece Goose Box. It I s the only gooseneck that doesn't void your warranty. I've been using a 20,000 Goose Box to tow our 44' toy hauler for a couple of years now. I would not go back to a 5er hitch.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

2 hours ago, Grassy said:

Folks,

I am buying a one ton soon and was just going to go with the hitch offered by the truck company until several folks mentioned a ball hitch.

I was under the impression that a ball hitch was more for horse / utility trailers and they had a tendency to break 5th wheel trailers.   I gather this is now incorrect.

I have been told that instead of a for / aft motion, with a ball you get of hobby horse or rocking motion when towing.

My 5th is a Arctic Fox 29-5T.

I haven't bought my replacement truck yet so this is a good time to research.

Thoughts ?

Thanks

If you currently have a fifth wheel trailer with the conventional kingpin, there is really no reason to change over to a gooseneck type hitch. The kingpin and conventional fiver hitch work great together so unless you are also towing a different gooseneck trailer why change things up?

I have a Ford F-350 and bought the Pullrite Hitch that drops right into the factory puck system. It is very slick and leaves a totally clean bed when removed. Takes only a couple of minutes to install or remove the hitch. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

As posted above, not all "adapters" are designed the same. 

I am also a Reece Goosebox user and love it.  I looked at traditional 5th wheel, goose ball mount 5th wheel and the Anderson also.  I already had a gooseball on my truck. 

For me it came down to bed use.  With the Goosebox as soon as I unhitch the trailer I can use my truck box.  I know some of the system are not hard to take out, but I never have to mess with it.  

Another plus for the Goosebox is the air ride built in. 

2014 Volvo 630. 2016 Fuzion 325T, RZR 900 Trail 
675ah AGM, MSH 3012 inverter, 960w Solar.  (2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, backup)

16 hours ago, Big Rick said:

Try an Andersen

It's what I use, love it.  Light, I can remove/have a clean bed in a couple minutes.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

We prefer the 5th wheel, easier to hook up and no safety chains to have to deal with. If you cannot see the gooseneck ball from the driver's seat it may take some time to get use to getting the trailer in position as you have to be right on. A 5th wheel is a little more forgiving.  We always changed our gooseneck ball trailers to 5th wheel pins.  

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Some states require safety chains be utilized with ball hitches. I once had a gooseneck utility trailer, crawling into the bed to attach the safety chains was a real PIA. i changed it to a 5er pin box the next year.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 weeks later...

B&W turn over ball and the companion 5th wheel hitch. I ran that for years and never had any problems. I got a comfort ride on my HDT but kept the companion for when I need to tow with the pickup.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Every time we connect a goose ball trailer around the ranch with the cranking of the landing gear and the spotting of the tow vehicle 35 times and the crawling up and down to connect chains and etc. we have a tradition, while cranking the frozen landing gear, of calling out "Them king pin 5th wheels is never going to catch on!..." 

But ball couplers offer lots of articulation off road.  We have dings in the truck box top rails to prove it too...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever.