Upgraded home for Jackalopee needed.. Update - Project competed!

Jaydrvr

My current home for the Jackalopee is a plastic ammo box from Harbor Freight, as shown. I'm looking for a more permanent and attractive solution, preferably aluminum, but a nice powder coated steel box could work too. I've found a couple places online, but either they don't respond, or they want a fortune. I KNOW there has to be a simple and reasonably priced box somewhere, I just can't find it. Any ideas?? Dimensions app. 6" x 10" x 12". Thanks, Jay

teGkE3nl.jpg

Edited by Jaydrvr
Update title

Talk to your local electrical supply house. Ask about weatherproof junction boxes.

ETA: They come in fiberglass, steel, and stainless steel.

Edited by Darryl&Rita

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Talk to your local electrical supply house. Ask about weatherproof junction boxes.

ETA: They come in fiberglass, steel, and stainless steel.

Thanks, I've looked at different electrical housings. They tend to be utilitarian, which makes sense, considering their normal application. The ones I've seen online either don't fit size wise, or don't look right, or are really pricy. I haven't actually gone to an electrical supply house, but might after this Covid mess. Jay

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog
2013 Volvo 730 / iShift / D13 XE Package / ET Hitch
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43 Atlanta
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

Read the blog at 40foothouse.com

R8O2pAw.jpg

3 minutes ago, Shawn Patterson said:

Hmmmm... Thank you for the suggestion. It's plastic... I don't know that I want to go with plastic. Aluminum or steel is likely durable and will more easily withstand the forces of plugging in and unplugging the connectors, plus I need to mount it vertically. I'll have to think about it. Jay

Jay,  I mounted mine a bit differently than most...  I sealed up the top wire grommets with liquid electrical tape (silicone would work too) and it has worked out great.  Not sure if this is something you'd want to do or not, but it's an option.

Oy7IVr6l.jpg

KX3IpyNl.jpg

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog

R8O2pAw.jpg

1 hour ago, Shawn Patterson said:

Jay,  I mounted mine a bit differently than most...  I sealed up the top wire grommets with liquid electrical tape (silicone would work too) and it has worked out great.  Not sure if this is something you'd want to do or not, but it's an option.

Oy7IVr6l.jpg

KX3IpyNl.jpg

Yes, thanks. I've seen yours and others like yours. You have a very nice, clean install. I do test setups first to determine how I want my finished product and I've decided on the current layout. I need an enclosure that looks like a well thought out, permanent installation, but it has to be removable for my commercial trailer. Jay

16 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

Maybe preferred by others...

Mine was mounted sideways (opening defacing out, not up) in a covered area in my bed. After it literally FILLED with water, I moved it inside the compartment. So, I agree with HEROmaker, inside is preferable. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Just now, Jaydrvr said:

but it has to be removable for my commercial trailer. Jay

Would inside, with its own trailer receptical work? Or too much stuff already there? 

2014 smart Fortwo

1 minute ago, Big5er said:

Mine was mounted sideways (opening defacing out, not up) in a covered area in my bed. After it literally FILLED with water, I moved it inside the compartment. So, I agree with HEROmaker, inside is preferable. 

Yes, thanks, Phil. I agree, but mine is going inside a free standing enclosure for versatility. Jay

1 minute ago, Big5er said:

Would inside, with its own trailer receptical work? Or too much stuff already there? 

Lol, that's funny! I only have a 610 and every cubic inch inside is long ago spoken for. 2 inverters, large wiring harnesses, a power distribution board and 2 tool boxes. Jay

Edited by Jaydrvr

1 minute ago, Jaydrvr said:

Lol, that's funny! I only have a 610 and every cubic inch is long ago spoken for. Jay

You forget, I speak from experience. I've seen a ton of side compartments emptied while the driver says "hang on Deputy, I know the triangles are in here somewhere". As soon as you said "commercial trailer" my whole train of thought changed 😃 

2014 smart Fortwo

Jay,

I didn't modify my commercial jack, if I ever needed to I could just unplug the Jackalopee and plug in a standard commercial pigtail.

zQVqREjl.jpg

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog

R8O2pAw.jpg

58 minutes ago, Big5er said:

You forget, I speak from experience. I've seen a ton of side compartments emptied while the driver says "hang on Deputy, I know the triangles are in here somewhere". As soon as you said "commercial trailer" my whole train of thought changed 😃 

Yes, I've seen those as well. At least mine are clean and organized. I can reach in and grab what I need in a moment - at least on the driver's side. The passenger's side is not great, but I'm working on it...and that's where MY triangles are.... Jay

Mine is like Shawn's but horizontal with the cables sloping down on each side so water won't weep in.  I've been considering moving the Jackalopee to the trailer.  Since I have a BluDot, any road tractor could safely, and legally, move our unit.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

41 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Mine is like Shawn's but horizontal with the cables sloping down on each side so water won't weep in.  I've been considering moving the Jackalopee to the trailer.  Since I have a BluDot, any road tractor could safely, and legally, move our unit.

Very cool! 😎 

Edited by Jaydrvr

2 hours ago, Shawn Patterson said:

Jay,

I didn't modify my commercial jack, if I ever needed to I could just unplug the Jackalopee and plug in a standard commercial pigtail.

zQVqREjl.jpg

I know of another guy who did it this way also.  Also mounted on the back of the cab.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg