Upgraded home for Jackalopee needed.. Update - Project competed!

Jaydrvr

19 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Mine is like Shawn's but horizontal with the cables sloping down on each side so water won't weep in.  I've been considering moving the Jackalopee to the trailer.  Since I have a BluDot, any road tractor could safely, and legally, move our unit.

farmingenuity

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

5 hours ago, noteven said:

farmingenuity

Comes from being a tightwad and trying to make do with less.  It's become a game my wife and I play, seeing how cheaply we can achieve a goal.  It doesn't always work in our favor, but provides much entertainment.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 10/30/2020 at 1:51 PM, Shawn Patterson said:

Jay,  I mounted mine a bit differently than most...  I sealed up the top wire grommets with liquid electrical tape (silicone would work too) and it has worked out great.  Not sure if this is something you'd want to do or not, but it's an option.

Oy7IVr6l.jpg

KX3IpyNl.jpg

I did this also, only mine is horizontal with both plugs being sealed.  Still when humidity, temperature are right i still get a little condensation inside.  Been like this for 5 years now.  Looking at ways to mount a cover over the whole thing.

3 minutes ago, chief916 said:

I did this also, only mine is horizontal with both plugs being sealed.  Still when humidity, temperature are right i still get a little condensation inside.  Been like this for 5 years now.  Looking at ways to mount a cover over the whole thing.

Yes, rather than chasing condensation, I'd prefer to just enclose it in a waterproof enclosure and not worry about it. Also, I still pull a commercial trailer, so it doesn't make sense to have it hanging out there when I'm working. Jay

1 minute ago, Jaydrvr said:

Yes, rather than chasing condensation, I'd prefer to just enclose it in a waterproof enclosure and not worry about it. Also, I still pull a commercial trailer, so it doesn't make sense to have it hanging out there when I'm working. Jay

I understand your logic and don't blame you.  Lately I've been toying around with maybe putting it in my left maintenance bay.  Pulling my interior out now to install sound proofing and will get a better idea for the relocation once I remove the bunk sheet metal which covers the maintenance bays.

My 1998 Kenworth dually left the factory as a tractor and was built out as a RV puller when new. It has trailer air and electric, plus RV 7 blade electric back of cab for 5 wheel and back of skirt for the receiver hitch. I see a Phillips junction box. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

On 11/2/2020 at 8:54 AM, Jaydrvr said:

I understand a lot of the condensation comes through the wire, that would happen no matter the box unless the ends fo the cable are sealed. 

1 hour ago, Lance A Lott said:

I understand a lot of the condensation comes through the wire, that would happen no matter the box unless the ends fo the cable are sealed. 

The problem with the RV cable is the fact that it's an "RV cable". In the RV industry anything that can be made for  two bucks they find a way to make it for a buck, then sell it through Lippert who finds a way to make it for fifty cents.

The seven conductor cable is not molded it's sheathed.

9F5FYO8l.jpg

The advantages, besides cheaper, is that it's more flexible than molded, it works OK and it looks better than bunch of wires wrapped around with electrical tape to form a bundle. In this application, even though the four cordgrips are sealable (by tightening the external nuts), moisture can get in through the spaces in the cable.

GL4MhPAl.jpg

I've had determined customers who "fixed it" by driving silicone into the ends of stripped cable around the wires and in between the wires. The simplest solution, don't mount the Jackalopee so that the cables go "down to it", mount it so that the cables go "up to it".

Edited by phoenix2013

Yep, I learned that the hard way, and Henry sent me a new board.  My Jackalopee is now the high point in the cable, mounted to the back of the cab, where I can see the led's for diagnostic purposes.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

I tucked mine up in the frame rail before I knew better. I have a Detroit so now it has a nice film of oil on it. I get oil under the truck but none sticks to the front of the camper and it never drips when parked.😕

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

8 hours ago, chief916 said:

Is that on the back exterior wall?

Yes.  I've seen several others mounted in a similar manner.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

• 4 months later...

Sharp. Never have to worry about rust, that way. Did you solid-mount it, or use magnets? The pics make it look close to the fifth wheel.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

3 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Sharp. Never have to worry about rust, that way. Did you solid-mount it, or use magnets? The pics make it look close to the fifth wheel.

It's solid mounted, but easily removable with only two half inch nuts holding it down. I remove it along with the RV hitch to connect my commercial step deck. It IS close to the fifth wheel. Jay

Edited by Jaydrvr

• Jaydrvr changed the title to Upgraded home for Jackalopee needed.. Update - Project competed!