Phantom Battery Drains

GlennWest

Well, went ot crank my truck yesterday. Hurricane threatening. Don't think we going to get much now though. Batteries dead. Replaced them a few months ago. I have to park truck away from camper here. So can't use my trickle charger. I was surprised it went down that fast. Do believe they are damaged also. Charged them for 24 hours nat 10 amps and it cranked up. Drove kup town and filled up. Came back to park and shut down. Waited a minute or so and dragged turning over and then got a little faster and fired up. Will try again after it cools down and see. But anway, is it normal to go down that bad in a few months? or do i have a problem

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Maybe, just barely quick. A glove box light will kill a bank over that length of time. What's your history with leaving it parked look like? 24 hours @ 10 amps is only 240 Ahr. A 3 battery bank is 2/3 full, a 4 battery bank is just over 1/2 full. Let the charger sit longer, or get some highway miles under you. The cranking speed increasing is interesting, sounds like a loose connection somewhere. As the heat builds, the connection tightens up, better current flow = starter speeding up.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

24 hours no problem. I have went a week with no charging. But I have never been this long before without a way to charge. I may have destroyed a good set of batteries when i replaced them a few months ago. I will hook charger back up and let it set for a few days and see.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Yes I do. Need to remove it. Can't hear it. Freightshaker too loud. Soon as I get back to work going to put solar on truck. Won't have this problem then.

Edited by GlennWest

Glen,

I had a phantom leak also years ago.  I put a battery cutoff switch in when parked it was turned to off.  My batteries would last over a month without significant discharge.ilFDoaHl.jpg

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

40 minutes ago, Parrformance said:

Suite, I cannot read the model number of the cutoff switch in the photo, would you be willing to share it?

I think this is the one I used 

https://www.solar-electric.com/blseabaswon3.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1oD_gOy06wIVgbbICh1GPgvPEAQYBSABEgJJ2vD_BwE

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

1 hour ago, Parrformance said:

I really like Blue Sea products.  I have some of their bus boxes.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

4 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I just had not charged it long enough. On 75 per cent now. Was only 50 per cent yesterday.

Go to a battery place have them do a draw test.  They'll charge them and test them.  The test will tell you the condition of each battery.

Also like others have said put in a battery switch.  Solar charger is a good idea.

It's spinning good now. Fixing to drive 300 miles tonight. That should top them off. Going to Fredericksburg RV. I will put a panel on it. I never had a problem until I got in this rv park. Had to park in overflow area. Also I realize now I never got a full charge on those new batteries. 

Edited by GlennWest

On 8/24/2020 at 4:17 PM, SuiteSuccess said:

Glen,

I had a phantom leak also years ago.  I put a battery cutoff switch in when parked it was turned to off.  My batteries would last over a month without significant discharge.ilFDoaHl.jpg

k8QrMwrl.jpg

I did the same thing.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

While a battery disconnect switch obviously solves the problem, many of the phantom loads are useful.  Keeping the stations & adjustments on the radio, time on clocks, etc and other settings that are a PIA to reset makes a disconnect switch a better idea for long term storage, but for a week or two, a  small solar panel is a good solution.  Under 15 - 20 watts won't even need a controller...

Edited by vermilye

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

• Phil D changed the title to Phantom Battery Drains

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

6 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

I used the same one before I got storage with electric.  

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

On 8/26/2020 at 8:23 AM, vermilye said:

While a battery disconnect switch obviously solves the problem, many of the phantom loads are useful.  Keeping the stations & adjustments on the radio, time on clocks, etc and other settings that are a PIA to reset makes a disconnect switch a better idea for long term storage, but for a week or two, a  small solar panel is a good solution.  Under 15 - 20 watts won't even need a controller...

I don't know much about electronics but when I hit the switch my radio didn't lose its presets. Setting the factory clock is turning a dial.

But yes I agree for a few weeks a solar panel is probably a good idea.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.