Hi All, newbie here. Need info on military campsites

judgegarry

I've been looking into RV sites on military installations, I pretty much know I'm eligible, as a 100% Service Connected disabled Vet. Yet I can't seem to find current info on the status of things with this crazy patchwork of restrictions, and I don't know much about it to begin with.

So I was hoping I could glean some info from some of you who've been here longer...

Thanks, God Bless, Garry

• judgegarry changed the title to Hi All, newbie here. Need info on military campsites

The ultimate authority is militarycampgrounds.us. The  website owner is a full-timer, he and his wife select a section of the U.S.A. to visit and update military famcamps listed on their website, as necessary, with the best route of entry, current entry requirements, eligibility, and many other areas of interest.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Gary,

Do you have a military picture ID granting all base privileges?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

As RV_ said, make sure you have a military ID that shows you are 100% service connected and entitled.  They do not take the VA cards.  Ray also is spot with his recommendation of militarycampgrounds.us.   That site is owned and run by Larry and he does a fantastic job.  

A suggestion I have is to visit the base campground's webpage (if they have one) and look for updated information.  Then, give them a phone call and verify it.  Or, simply give them phone call.

Best regards,

Richard "Doc"

Richard "Doc" Strait, USN Retired

2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB

Point of Contact for the Military, Veterans, and Gold Star Families BOF

Wow, thanks for answering so quickly folks (Military members are so prompt, courteous and respectful)

I do not have a base privilege card, I guess I'll look into that today. I do have my DD214/disability rating docs, etc. Larry's site is very concise, for sure. I had trouble setting up an account, and he also got back to my email within a couple of hours. So, I guess I have my mission for this afternoon. I appreciate all your help and I'll post back with any updates, or if I hit any roadblocks.

God Bless America, and safe journeys all,

"JudgeGarry"

Edited by judgegarry

5 hours ago, StraitRVing said:

Or, simply give them phone call.

This is the best advice for checking on the status of military fam camps.  Too often the web pages are out of date.

The Navy has the best set up out there, IMO...1-800-NAVY-BED.  You call, you tell them which Navy fam camp you want, you get a reservation if space is available and if that fam camp allows reservations.  At least that has been my experience.

42 minutes ago, pinger said:

I've never use a military fam camp but I have a VA service connected disability card don't know if it is good or not for military campgrounds..

My VA card doesn't work at most of them. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Howdy!

We’re fulltimer’s and I’ve never used the military campgrounds in our travels. The main reason is I carry firearms with us and figured it would be a problem entering with them. Can anyone advised as to using military campground with firearms I would appreciate it?

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon 

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

4 hours ago, chiefneon said:

Howdy!

We’re fulltimer’s and I’ve never used the military campgrounds in our travels. The main reason is I carry firearms with us and figured it would be a problem entering with them. Can anyone advised as to using military campground with firearms I would appreciate it?

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon 

Each installation has their own rules, some simply state your firearm must be unloaded and secured in your RV until you leave, some require you turn it in to an armory for lockup until you leave. I believe the specifics for each famcamp's website contain the rules for firearms on-post. I carry a small safe in the MH specifically for such purpose. For a long gun, only the rifle bolt or firing pin is secured.  When an installation requires leaving a firearm with an armory, it's a bit of a hassle paperwork wise.

To view famcamp websites for the Army, go to https://www.armymwr.com/programs-and-services/outdoor-recreation/camping-rv-parks

One will need to do the same for each branch of service, if militarycampgrounds.us does not contain a direct link.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

18 hours ago, chiefneon said:

Can anyone advised as to using military campground with firearms I would appreciate it?

Don't ask, don't tell.

Some bases have machines you drive thru that scan the coach.  Not enough detail to pick anything up.  Some bases require the gate guard to enter the RV for a look-see.  It's not a search and the slides are still closed, so not much chance of finding anything unless it is in the open.  Most bases are drive up, show your ID, and roll on thru the gate.

With COVID, it is more important to call the fam camp and make sure non-active duty can use it.

Guys,

Without a military retiree ID card or other card entitling you to use the commissary , BX and base recreational facilities you won't be able to use them.

I used the base RV parks and had guns with us. Never asked, never volunteered. As active duty we were allowed to have our firearms in our base housing or vehicles. My RV was my housing at the time. The security forces cannot confiscate and keep your guns unless you committed a crime or violent  incident and firearms were found in your car.

Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

2 hours ago, RV_ said:

Never asked, never volunteered. 

Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Exactly. Having found that every base where we have stayed in a FamCamp has varying rules on firearms I have simply taken that approach. I have secure storage in the RV and weapons are secured before arrival. If it was requested to examine the RV then I would offer up that I have weapons. Otherwise, I keep them secured until we leave the base and no one is the wiser. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

From what I gather at this point, our VA Health card is valid for base exchange privileges thanks to recent changes in DoD regs. I can't say for sure that any base recreation/campsite is available, but I'm thinking not. I spent a few hours going through different sites to get my documents from the VA (Proof of service/disability rating, etc) so I can complete the form 1172 application for the DoD card, only to hit a roadblock in the one site I needed to apply to. Signing in and out, changing my password, etc, et al., ... only to keep getting the same error message.

My next move will be to call the help desk and explain my SNAFU. I'm just going to assume I DO need the card...

My health card (with service connected on it), my DD214, my award letter, proof of service; all that is just steps I accomplished to that end goal. In sum, I've made good progress in only a couple of days time, much credit and thanks to you folks here, hand salute!

As far as firearms, I tow a 6×14 trailer with my Harley and accouterments in it,  it also has a gun safe, so I can secure everything in there if need be...

I'll keep you updated as I progress, and if I find anything that may be of general interest...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum, Judge

7 hours ago, remoandiris said:

If you're not 100% disabled, most likely no.  

The veterans/disabled rules changes are on the militarycampgrounds.us website. I think in the forms and pdf section.

36 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

The veterans/disabled rules changes are on the militarycampgrounds.us website. I think in the forms and pdf section.

Here's a web page that gives an overview, not complete, but a start

https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/68479/veterans-need-vhic-for-in-person-commissary-military-exchange-and-mwr-access/

This from militarycampgrounds.us was the current, complete information as of Nov. 2019. 

Link was dead, use RV's link, thanks.

Edited by Ray,IN

I guess I have to join to download the PDF, or is the website broken?

I joined and your link still did not work so I joined the website and searched for and found the page to read online there: https://www.militarycampgrounds.us/news-and-articles-mainmenu-2/military-campground-and-rv-parks-articles/authorized-use

THis is the most complete resource for folks trying to determine if they are eligible. Thanks for leading me to that website Ray!

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

We must look after each other, we are a very small minority of the U.S.A. population. Thanks for the correct link Derek!

• 5 months later...

Yes you are correct about recent changes that allow veterans with a VA ID disability card access to military installations for PX, Commissary and recreation facilities including campgrounds, RV parks, libraries, etc. This comment for new veteran members who have joined since beginning of the topic in Aug 2020.

I have the military Tan DD 2765 100% P&T card now for many years and have used Travis AFB, Fort Hood, Corpus Naval, etc for all the above.  However the VA card showing I am also 100% P&T will also allow me access to the above.  It is easy to get the Tan card from nearest DEERs office (Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System)  at most military installations including Guard and reserve units such as in city of Reno, NV.  The online DOD regulations will tell you what you need to bring and they take your photo onsite.  Because of covid the Reno reserve center requires appointments. Happy Camping487505295_ExtralargephotoWOBillPerkinsin498thUH1HdustoffseatVietnam1970.jpg.c9e90645522be94463dc2390150eb8f0.jpg

Edited by NamMedevac 70

A source for a military campgrounds app that is free is at the Ultimate Public Campground Project (Scroll down).  They also have an inexpensive app for public campgrounds.

Edited by vermilye

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys