New Vs. Used Fifth Wheels

kstills

It has to have a narrower chassis. So the floor must be built up or sacrifice floor space. Looking at pics they seem to build up the floor. So do you have room for a washer and seperate dryer since the floor is built up? I looked hard at one at PPL years ago. I didn't like it due to this. It is a quality built unit and I for one wished they had stayed in the 5ther production. But wished many of them was also. Tires are a non issuse if one buys quailty tires. I put XPS tires on my Teton as soon as I got it. Zero tire porblems. I don't even have to add air.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

19 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

It has to have a narrower chassis. So the floor must be built up or sacrifice floor space. Looking at pics they seem to build up the floor. So do you have room for a washer and seperate dryer since the floor is built up? I looked hard at one at PPL years ago. I didn't like it due to this. It is a quality built unit and I for one wished they had stayed in the 5ther production. But wished many of them was also. Tires are a non issuse if one buys quailty tires. I put XPS tires on my Teton as soon as I got it. Zero tire porblems. I don't even have to add air.

Glenn, perhaps someday you can look at our Newmar. I'm not seeing any compromises related to the dually setup. We absolutely love it. The laundry is in the upper level bath on this one, but there is plenty of storage and flat floors on the main level. I keep hearing about Newmar design limitations, but I guess we just haven't seen them yet. Jay

14 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

I keep hearing about Newmar design limitations, but I guess we just haven't seen them yet.

Its why we bought it.  2004 Kountry Aire 38BLSE.  We like it.  Also REALLY enjoy the powered steps and landing instead of just stairs.  The "belly" is great for those small things needing stored but sometimes get lost in large basement storage, like blocks, jacks, hoses, cords, etc.  We find its build to be superior to many others, although compared to the Teton, they are similar in quality.  Our Teton is only 33'.  We use it for National Parks where the Newmar is longer for those areas. 

Marcel

• 3 months later...

guess i was very lucky with my 2001 sunnybrook 5er. narie a problem in all these years (yes bought new).

but the lack of quality in the newer units is appalling.

and if they are cranking them out faster. then i say do not buy any rv built around the year 2020, as they just might be junk.

at times i have thought about doing a gut and rebuild on a larger unit then mine. (only a 25 ft). if not to just build better, but to get a floor plan I like.

one item is full access to the reefer not blocked by a island while all slides are in. as well as access to a place to sit and relax, eat a lunch/snack, etc.

and i bet i could do this for less then buying a new rv.

but for now i have no place to do such a rebuild. sloping driveway is not good. within feet of the street, as things tend to walk away.

The problem with a rebuild is that you are unlikely to get your money back if you have the work done and will be selling it soon.  We have a 2006 Carriage fiver (Carri Lite 36KSQ).  Carriage was one of the really good builders who went down in 2010/11. There are Carriages built today, but not by Carriage.  Crossroads bought the name and then Thor bought Crossroads. 

The qualityof our Carriage is great, but things needed modernizing.  We had the work done.  We did brakes, suspension, wheels, axles, appliances, furniture and flooring, entertainment center,  plus a bit of miscellaneous.  We love it.  It was pricey, but the combined purchase and rebuild was not as pricey as buying a current high end fiver new or even recently used.  We don't expect to get our money back but will be living in it for a few more years, and then parking it for summers in Maine for several years after that.  By that time the new high end would also have fully depreciated.

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

• 2 weeks later...

earlier this year (2020) i was up in sparks nv and a company was setting up a rv "show" one unit i liked the floor plan. it was a used unit looked like carp. one rim was from a utility trailer. very poor waxing job, calking was falling off, inside needed cleaning very bad. and they wanted top dollar for it... as is.

if i had a offer for them it would have been 1/4 of there asking price. i will keep my 2001 sunny brook (bought new) for another number of years till the "boom" goes away.

• 6 months later...

So, with older rigs that look great, how are we to deal with the 'we don't accept any trailers over 10 yrs old' RV park mentality?

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

5 hours ago, trimster said:

So, with older rigs that look great, how are we to deal with the 'we don't accept any trailers over 10 yrs old' RV park mentality?

Move onto another campground and be happy to give your money to them.  Some let you jump through hoops and like sending current pictures and even having them inspected on your dime. Screw them and move on. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

6 hours ago, trimster said:

My 5er was built in Sept '05 and is officially an '06 model.  I've had a couple of parks with that policy that want to see the rig, first.  I send them a picture.  Never a problem so far.  Just did that in Manistee, MI last month.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually

Jinx and Wayne

9 hours ago, trimster said:

We too have been asked for photos of our 2000 Monaco . We've never been denied as we keep our rig in good order . 

Most places just want to keep the junk out . If your rig looks right , you shouldn't have any problems .

Goes around , comes around .