USAA doesn't like my address

PBArmy

I've been with USAA for over 40 years. But now they claim that the Patriot Act precludes them from doing business with me due to my PMB in Sioux Falls, SD (that I have had for over 7 years.)  

Here's the gist:

"What You Need to Know

Section 326 of the USA PATRIOT Act requires USAA Federal Savings Bank to obtain, verify and record personal data such as your name, address, date of birth, Social Security or Taxpayer Identification Number and other information that allows us to identify you.

You have been identified as requiring a valid physical, residential address. The physical address must not be a P.O. Box or other mail-receiving address (commonly referred to as Commercial Mail Receiving Agency), even if it appears as a street address. This is separate from your mailing address, which may be a P.O. Box or commercial address. Your physical address and mailing address do not need to be the same. Mail will continue to be delivered to your listed mailing address."

Any advice??

US Army (Retired)

This has been discussed in many threads on this forum.  All the law requires you to provide is an address at which you can (eventually) be reached.  It doesn't have to be your address and, as the document you posted says, using this address will have no impact on mail being delivered to you. In other words, no one cares what you put enter as long as the law is complied with!

Just use a child's address or even a friend's,  We' have only one financial organization that insisted on doing this and it has never used the address we provided.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Howdy!

I’ve been using USAA for years with our Escapees address. I never use “PMB” doing so. I use our Escapees address and # of our PBM. Never had a problem.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon 

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

When Dave was in the Army we used his parent's house as our permanent home address as did several of his uncles (Air Force) and grandparents (retired but not yet settled somewhere). I had never lived there but our documentation said I did. Do you have a permanent home address somewhere? If not, can your get one using, like Doc J said, a child or friend's address? Apparently it just needs to be someone who could track you down if necessary. Why the bank couldn't just call you, which is what our daughter would do if they contacted her, I don't understand. MPs or other LEOs showing up at our "residential" address would not have found us there.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

3 hours ago, chiefneon said:

Howdy!

I’ve been using USAA for years with our Escapees address. I never use “PMB” doing so. I use our Escapees address and # of our PBM. Never had a problem.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon 

Ditto here.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

14 hours ago, PBArmy said:

I've been with USAA for over 40 years. But now they claim that the Patriot Act precludes them from doing business with me due to my PMB in Sioux Falls, SD (that I have had for over 7 years.)  

I would make three suggestions. You may want to share the information from this thread with your agent. You could also get a new agent from one of the people in this thread and move your business there. As a last possibility, shop the insurance market as there may be other companies that would like your business enough to give you better coverage for a competitive price. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

26 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

I would make three suggestions. You may want to share the information from this thread with your agent. You could also get a new agent from one of the people in this thread and move your business there. As a last possibility, shop the insurance market as there may be other companies that would like your business enough to give you better coverage for a competitive price. 

USAA doesn't use agents, per se, Kirk. Customers deal with a central system via phone or an internet account. I think if everything is changed to "#" rather than "PMB," the OP should be OK. That's how hundreds of the rest of us do it.

BTW, if you need to make a claim, there are no adjusters with USAA, either. USAA has agreements with thousands of vetted shops across the country. We just take the car in, the shop does the estimate and submits it to USAA, and within a couple of hours it's approved. 

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

First of all, USAA is not ONLY my car insurance provider. It has been my banking, investing, and auto for over 40 years. I WILL NOT insure my RV with USAA because they contract out to Progressive (George Soros, etc) I DO NOT feel comfortable lying about my address. I DO NOT want to change my address. I think this is a RIGHTS issue. Perhaps I need to call an attorney? Escapees recommended one. 

US Army (Retired)

16 minutes ago, PBArmy said:

First of all, USAA is not ONLY my car insurance provider. It has been my banking, investing, and auto for over 40 years. I WILL NOT insure my RV with USAA because they contract out to Progressive (George Soros, etc) I DO NOT feel comfortable lying about my address. I DO NOT want to change my address. I think this is a RIGHTS issue. Perhaps I need to call an attorney? Escapees recommended one. 

At this point I have to believe you have a problem with USAA for some reason or other that most other escapees using them don't. Maybe there is something new that will begin to affect them soon. We'll see.  As far as rights I think most problems of this sort started under the Patriot Act and I believe GWB was president then. If I am correct almost all people in USAA are military or ex.  They don't seem to find an issue with doing business with Progressive  so I will bow to their expertice and experience.  I want to think this is legitimate so for now I will.  I will bow to your right to get an attorney if you feel that is needed and wish you good luck.

I decided years ago not to use USAA or get insurance through them for other reasons that work well for me. However every time my insurance comes due I reconsider that based on what works for me the best at that time.  I am absolutely tickled nearly to death for all the folks that use them and are happy.  I like happy people. BTW, I am of course ex military and currently use Kirtland FCU (air force) and Navy FCU.  I won't plug which insurance I use since they do enough plugging themselves on TV.

25 minutes ago, PBArmy said:

The insurance company has the "right" to set any requirements it deems necessary to do business and to confirm to any regulatory laws. Your only "rights" are to find a new insurance company if you don't like the way they conduct business. Save your money for a lawyer, they will tell you the same thing. Since you have a lot of "DO NOTS" you might find that difficult. Chuck 

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

I do appreciate everyone's comments. Not sure why it turned snarky (a sign of the times, I guess.) Perhaps other fulltimers like myself will eventually face this dilemma as it is not a USAA stance, it's a Patriot Act issue.  So after reading all your comments again, I've decided that I will add my winter address as a physical address, keep my Dakota Post address as my mailing address, and simply change the physical address if/when I change my winter location. Hopefully that will meet the requirement, and not generate too many questions from USAA. Thanks again, safe travels, and stay healthy everyone!

Again, here's what you may encounter:  But I hope you do not!

"Section 326 of the USA PATRIOT Act requires USAA Federal Savings Bank to obtain, verify and record personal data such as your name, address, date of birth, Social Security or Taxpayer Identification Number and other information that allows us to identify you.

You have been identified as requiring a valid physical, residential address. The physical address must not be a P.O. Box or other mail-receiving address (commonly referred to as Commercial Mail Receiving Agency), even if it appears as a street address. This is separate from your mailing address, which may be a P.O. Box or commercial address. Your physical address and mailing address do not need to be the same. Mail will continue to be delivered to your listed mailing address."

US Army (Retired)

1 hour ago, PBArmy said:

... as it is not a USAA stance, it's a Patriot Act issue. 

Actually, it is a USAA issue.  The Patriot Act wording has been around for a long time, and different companies interpret it in different ways.  In the investment arena Charles Schwab has been notorious for rejecting mail service addresses, while Vanguard and Fidelity seem to have no issue.  Same Patriot Act, different interpretations. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

4 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

Actually, it is a USAA issue.  The Patriot Act wording has been around for a long time, and different companies interpret it in different ways.  In the investment arena Charles Schwab has been notorious for rejecting mail service addresses, while Vanguard and Fidelity seem to have no issue.  Same Patriot Act, different interpretations. 

Yes, well said.

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

6 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

Boy do I like good information.

I must admit I did not see the snarky but I learned a long time ago that the way things are written here can be interpreted by different parties different ways.  (Thank you Stan Miller where ever you are)

Sounds like you have resolved  it for the time being.  In a way I guess it is like walking away from a plane crash. As they say any one you can walk away from is a good landing.

Also, as a reminder, it isn't the Patriot Act, as it has been amended and that section wasn't part of the re authorization,  but it is a banking requirement (KYC) rule that has tripped up banks who are laundering money.  There are many different ways that financial institutions can 'identify' you, and the lazy ones will have "rules" that are drawn up by CYA attorneys (usually after a regulator audit of things the financial institution was doing) and then the institution becomes rigid about it.   You can use the address of a relative or friend if they will agree, and have it known as NOT your legal address but one to use for contacting.   And then watch your account like a hawk, especially your mailing address to make sure they don't screw it up.   

Or, take your business elsewhere.  There are plenty of financial institution that want your business and will work with you.  That is also a good reason why people should think they have to change banks when they go full timing.  With the internet, your bank that you have in your former hometown will gladly change the address on the account to keep your business and you can do everything online.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

USAA doesn't support fulltiming. 

They have caught up with you.

I've had them for 40 years also.

But when I head out next year and switch residence to SD with a mail forward service, I must fine another provider.

Retired USN Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel

2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL (Traded)

2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

1 hour ago, markandkim said:

USAA doesn't support fulltiming. 

They have caught up with you.

I've had them for 40 years also.

But when I head out next year and switch residence to SD with a mail forward service, I must fine another provider.

I disagree. They have supported us full-timing from the get-go. We have informed them of what we're doing at every step.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

4 hours ago, PBArmy said:

Rob, I've explained my situation to them as well. But this is the 2nd time in 6 months that I've received this request for a physical address. What have you done differently? Thanks in advance!

We've not done anything special. We followed advice early on and only used "#" in our Escapees address rather than "PMB" or something else. Example:

161 Rainbow Drive #[xxxx]
Livingston TX 77399

I know that the Escapees' system has been tested in the courts and held up - perhaps it's something with your SD PMB address. We have other friends who use the Escapees Livingston address (with "#") with USAA and don't have any issue with it, either. 

BTW, USAA will insure towable RVs - they just farm motorhomes out to Progressive.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

27 minutes ago, Second Chance said:

We've not done anything special. We followed advice early on and only used "#" in our Escapees address rather than "PMB" or something else. Example:

161 Rainbow Drive #[xxxx]
Livingston TX 77399

I know that the Escapees' system has been tested in the courts and held up - perhaps it's something with your SD PMB address. We have other friends who use the Escapees Livingston address (with "#") with USAA and don't have any issue with it, either. 

BTW, USAA will insure towable RVs - they just farm motorhomes out to Progressive.

Rob

Thanks again. I've done the same thing # [xxxx]  Very interesting. And yes, I'm in a motorhome, so I don't use USAA/Progressive. 

US Army (Retired)

Been with USAA over 50 years.  If pressed, they have alternate providers to Progressive.  But you can still insure the MH for less elsewhere.  My issue with USAA and others has been:  They want/need a Physical address.  The PO has no delivery in our area, so we get a "free" PO box.  So we treat it like an apartment.  1234 Maple Street #1781, Mailing Service, SD 88888-1781.   USAA is happy, they have a physical, and the PO knows the drill so they deliver to our Box.  Best wishes for success.

On 7/29/2020 at 9:33 AM, bigjim said:

If I am correct almost all people in USAA are military or ex.  They don't seem to find an issue with doing business with Progressive  so I will bow to their expertice and experience. 

Or family members of military or ex military. USAA started as only officers. Then added noncoms. Then extended family. Our daughter has never served bur she is insured under Dave's service.

As to Progressive: In 2008 they insured our Winnebago View which, at the time we told them, was our only vehicle. Then the small print of the coverage said it would not cover us if the RV was our only vehicle. Sure glad Dave read that small print so we were quickly able to cancel the Progressive insurance to switch to Foremost.

Linda Sand

Edited by sandsys

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van