Elementary questions about RV buying

Corrie473

Hello All,

My question is divided into two parts

(1) travel trailer vs motorhome and (2) where to buy used.

Quick demographics: it will be me (42 year old female) and a young child. I have done a lot of extended traveling/ camping as a single person with tent+ GMC Sierra; then my daughter and I went on a 4 month trip last summer/fall with tent+GMC Sierra +camper shell. It was kind of a trial run for full time RV-ing without the RV. It was a success but continual tent camping got very old. So now the RV.

As to (1) I am inclined towards a travel trailer but I have heard from many people, 'You'll regret it.' Their arguments boil down to walk-through and hassle. Now, I've traveled extensively and lived in my tent for up to six months at a time and NEVER had a situation where I needed walk-through for safety reasons. I do understand it for convenience and privacy -- sometimes you just want to pull over, go lay down, and not have to interact with anyone going in and out of the vehicle/ trailer. Once in a while there's inclement weather, too, but how often is it SO inclement that it makes going from the truck to the trailer prohibitive? I have a hard time envisioning how much that's going to be an issue long term and that's why I'd like input from people who've lived it. As for hassle, yes, I know it's harder to get in and out of parking lots, when you're towing a vehicle, I know you have to learn how to back up when you have an axle, but my gut reaction is, hey, all those people out there towing a travel trailer put their pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else... I'll figure it out. Others have implied I don't know what I'm in for. One guy also mentioned the hassle of leveling the trailer every time you park it. He said it will be especially hard with a small child who needs supervision. I must admit I don't know how much skill is required for this. Thoughts?

On the plus side, I would think, is the fact that you can drop the trailer and go exploring with just your vehicle. Also, I don't have to worry about a motor. My truck is old (97) but it has a new engine with about 40K on it and a rebuilt transmission... and last summer I sunk about 2K into getting the A/C working. It seems to me I should capitalize on that and put the truck to use towing something. Unfortunately, the truck is V-6 (4.3L Vortec) and I know that somewhat limits my options, but I think there should be quite a few 12'-15' trailers it can tow.

As for (2) it will be used and I will pay cash and I would like to keep it around 10K. So, where should I be searching? I have looked on craigslist in my area (Maine). My concern is, I will be making the decision alone; I am somewhat of a loner and this is one of those times I pay the price for that because I do not have any knowledgable person who can go with me and make sure that I'm buying something sound. I have also searched on RVTrader. I am not on any social media and am not thrilled about the idea of creating such an account just for the purpose of RV shopping, but I seem to be getting the 'Facebook' suggestion repeatedly. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Corrie

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In my opinion, you are the ideal candidate for a Casita, Scamp, or something similar in size.  Your truck would easily tow a 17' Casita.  It would be a tremendous step up from tent camping.

Challenge will be finding one of those small fiberglass trailers in good condition for $10K.  A more reasonable number would be $15K.

Good luck with your search.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this. We have met quite a few single people - including women - full-timing in smaller class C motorhomes. Your problem there would be not having a smaller vehicle to run around in unless you pulled a car - which increases the cost to set up and your full-size Sierra may not be the best match for a tow'd with a smaller class C.

chirakawa's suggestion for an "egg" type fiberglass travel trailer like the Casita, Scamp, etc. is good - but also comes with some drawbacks. They are extremely cramped, have minimal storage space (although you have space in the back of your truck), and usually have wet baths.

Behind door #3 we have the smaller "normal" travel trailer (20 - 25'). Advantages over the fiberglass egg would include a dry bath, more storage space, a real kitchen, etc. There's usually a dinette that makes into a bed so your daughter would have a place to sleep other than in your bed if so desired.  A regular travel trailer is no harder to back up than a Casita. In fact, tiny trailers like Casitas can be more difficult due to the short wheelbase. There are a couple of things to think about that might help ease some of your concerns about going this route, too:

• When you find a travel trailer that suits your needs and looks to be in good shape (and is a good deal), find a reputable mobile certified RV technician who is willing to come do a complete inspection on the trailer for you. It will cost you $100 - $150, most likely, but is money well-spent. If he/she finds issues that need addressing, you can choose to walk away from the deal or get a quote from the technician for repair and negotiate the price of the RV down by that amount.
  • Check out a product called LevelMatePRO (you can order them on Amazon). This is a digital leveling device that interfaces with your smartphone via Bluetooth. Once mounted in the trailer and calibrated (using a carpenter's level), you can sit in your truck and pull the trailer up on some Beech-Lane or Anderson levelers until it is level side-to-side. You then chock the wheels, unhitch, and use the LevelMatePRO to adjust the tongue tack until the trailer is level front-to-back. I leveled our previous travel trailer and then our previous 36' fifth wheel this way by myself for about seven years. It took me less than 10 minutes once I got used to the routine.

Just some thoughts...

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Since you have spent 4 months in a tent, the wet bath might not be a deal breaker.  If you are staying in parks with shower houses, it doesn't matter.  The Casita/Scamp type trailers are pretty well built and light.  I wouldn't be afraid to own one, as I know several folks who have them and are happy.

Take your time and find a good deal, even if it's not the perfect fit.  There's a pretty good chance your needs and wants will change, and you'll move to another size, shape, or style.  By keeping your investment reasonable, that might not cost so much.

What ever you do, keep well withing the limitations of your tow vehicle.  Having the trailer push you around because of a blown tire or brake failure is no fun.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I'm in my 4th year of full timing in a travel trailer/toy hauler.  I found some folks will come very close to calling me stupid for not having a 5th wheel/motorhome.  Of course, that's what they have.  I'm very happy with my TT.  Love having my truck to do touristy things in, as I'm not fond of a little vehicle and I know my truck (sounds and how it drives).  I've seen some really nice used rigs, but when I was looking seemed the only used toy haulers had been overly used, if you know what I mean.   I was lucky - the guy who bought my property was well versed in RV's and made the trip with me to look at the one I bought.  He crawled under it, inspected things I didn't even know needed inspected, explained and answered my questions.  He gave me a good basis for jumping out on my own (solo) into a lifestyle I knew nothing about.  You don't have to be an expert on everything.....it will catch up with you as you travel.  There are forums like this one, there are YouTube videos, and many times I just search and the phrase I use will come up - bingo, now I know where to look, what to change, who to call.  I'm not a member of Facebook/Twitter/??? and do just fine.  

Good luck in your adventure.

One thing I would be thinking about in your situation is my child's bathing process. Is she old enough to shower on her own? Few small trailers have a tub. Nor do they have a big enough sink to use as a tub. So, do you need a big enough shower to hold both of you at the same time? Or do you plan to always be in a campground with a shower house? Right now even those campgrounds that are open have closed their shower facilities. There are a lot of other things to consider but I'd start with that one.

If a fiberglass egg does appeal to you, right now my favorite is a 16' Scamp layout #6 which has a big bed, a small dinette and a wet bath. You will need your truck for extra storage. https://www.scamptrailers.com

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

You've put a lot of thought into this.  With a small child you might want to look for something like a small bunkhouse travel trailer.  It would allow for you and your child to have some privacy and a place for your child's own 'stuff'.  Having to make the dinette table into a bed each night will get old.  Plus, when your child goes to sleep you may want to watch TV, etc. and your child will be right there.   This is a popular dealer in Michigan and I just quickly picked out one of the smaller ones.  Although this is a new 2019 your budget may not jive with this but perhaps you can find something similar in an early year.  This one even has a tub/shower which would be great for a small child and a door that closes off the bunk room.  With a child I don't think a Casita-type small trailer would work well.  You both need some private space if you're going full-time.

You're young and probably strong that hooking up a trailer would not be a problem for you.  Backing it into a site just takes practice that you could easily master.

One thing with your stated budget you will probably be looking at entry-type RVs, meaning it won't have good insulation and it will probably have single pane windows.  If you plan to be in mild temperatures it would pose no problem but if planning to spend a winter in colder climates you'd be extremely uncomfortable and it would be very costly to keep warm.  The same goes for extreme heat (90-95+) It would be harder to keep cool.  If you'd be traveling you can easily avoid both situations. 

If buying used I'd recommend you find a capable person familiar with RVs to inspect it before buying.  Also, be sure to look at the ceiling for any water leakage.... and everywhere else.  Leaks are hard to trace and to correct.  Leaks cause rotting and mold.  Good luck!!

https://www.generalrv.com/product/new-2019-coachmen-rv-clipper-ultra-lite-21bhs-1004327-29

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Welcome to the forum. You are on the right track as far as doing research BEFORE you buy something. We did several years of research before buying what was right for us at that time.

Question 1: How much can your present truck tow? You really need to have actual weights for both axles to start. Fill the truck's tank, then put in everything that you KNOW will be in the truck when you are towing. Weigh both axles. Now you know what's already on those axles, and the door sticker will tell you how much more you can carry. When you look at trailers, use the GROSS Vehicle Weight Rating for the trailer. The sales person will often quote the empty (dry) weight, which is less. You're most likely going to be close to gross weight, so use that number. Figure 15% of that weight will be your hitch (tongue) weight, which goes on the rear axle of the truck.

Question 2: Can your truck be towed behind a motor home? Check http://www.remcotowing.com/Towing/Store.php to find out. If it can, you have a choice about with type of RV to get. If not, you are limited to a trailer unless you are willing to trade vehicles.

Question 3: Do you NEED a truck? If you went with a motor home you could tow something else. That might be something like a Smart (good fuel economy), a Jeep set up for off-road adventures, or even a luxury car (we tow a Lincoln MKT).

It might be that your truck isn't worth what you have in it, and you don't want to trade vehicles. That's your call. Which is better? Only you can make that decision. I'd suggest you go to every RV dealer and show you can, and go into everything there, no matter the condition or price. It won't take long for you to figure out what floor plans will and won't work for you. Then it is just a matter of finding the right floor plan in an RV that meets your quality and budget requirements.

Final thought: with all of the concern about disinfecting things, you might want to seriously consider only those rigs that are completely self-contained, so that you don't need to use the campground facilities. That was one of our requirements when we bought our coach seven years ago.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

A few more things to think about:

1. If your child still needs a child seat, where will you put it in either your truck or a motorhome? Few motorhomes can accommodate a child seat anchor.

2. A bunkhouse model gives you lots of interior storage for things stored in tubs which may mean fewer trips to the truck to fetch things. Plus, your daughter will have her own walls to decorate in her bunk area. Most bunks have plenty of space for stuffed animals as well. :)

3. When it rains it's easy to store rain gear in a motorhome or trailer (in the shower while it drips dry) but where do you put it in the truck?

4. In a motorhome not towing a car you never have to wonder in which vehicle you left your coat/camera/etc. That was the hardest thing for us once we bought a car to tow. We did like driving our short motorhomes to the grocery store so we could put away groceries immediately then continue sightseeing or running other errands.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

20 hours ago, chirakawa said:

In my opinion, you are the ideal candidate for a Casita, Scamp, or something similar in size.  Your truck would easily tow a 17' Casita.  It would be a tremendous step up from tent camping.

Challenge will be finding one of those small fiberglass trailers in good condition for $10K.  A more reasonable number would be $15K.

Good luck with your search.

That was exactly my first thought.  Casita or Scamp - both have good reputations but can be hard to find used.
Facebook: has "Facebook Marketplace" and is a source for local sales - it can be wonderful - some people don't trust craigslist because of the scammers and prefer to stay "local" in their shopping.  
Best of luck to you in your shopping. . .

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

When looking at or thinking about a specific TT model search for forums for that manufacture ask about know issues or things to check before purchase.  The number one thing to inspect for is water damage. fixing water damage is a nightmare. I'm taking about a leak that was not fixed right away. As you inspect a unit look for water stains, soft spots on floors, push on the walls under windows.

Read about roof maintenance, this will give a good idea of what to look for when you inspect the roof. If the roof is well maintained then the rest of the rig is very likely well maintained. If the roof is not well maintained then anything else that was out of sight and mind was probably not maintained either.

Sounds like a great adventure that your child will cherish. Good luck on your search and ask plenty of questions as you go.

Drew

2020 Platinum F350 6.7L CC DRW, 2021 Riverstone Legacy 37mre 5th wheel

19 hours ago, kb0zke said:

You're most likely going to be close to gross weight, so use that number. Figure 15% of that weight will be your hitch (tongue) weight, which goes on the rear axle of the truck.

Sorta.  You need to measure the distance from the hitch to the rear axle, and the distance between the rear and front axle.  500# of hitch weight might result in 600#-800# axle load.  Unless you use a weight distributing hitch, which is itself heavy, and additional cost.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

As far as the “you’ll regret it” goes - maybe yes, maybe no.  I was a long-timer (multi-month trips a couple of times a year) for several years before deciding my 21’ travel trailer was more my home than the house was, sold it and have been full-timing in that trailer for the past 6 months.  I don’t regret full-timing in a travel trailer at all.  I may at some point buy a new trailer, but can’t decide between getting a newer version of what I have or a larger one.  I’m not going to do anything for a year as I just upgraded my truck.

RVing is all about compromise.  Only you can decide what compromises will work for you.  As you can see from the responses so far, there are advantages and disadvantages to the egg-shell trailers, and they might not work for you.  A bunk model makes a lot of sense, but would they would be larger and heavier.  Small conventional trailers might work better, but at least 4 years ago, many small trailers were poorly constructed and you might have more trouble finding a good, well maintained one.

Hi guys,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I am reading your replies and I guess I was thinking I needed to do more research on some of the suggestions before I had an informed/ meaningful response. Sorry if it seemed rude to all those who posted helpful suggestion. I was also trying to figure out how to insert a reply to an individual post in the middle of the thread; maybe the only way to do that is to post as soon as that response shows up.

So here are my thoughts in general.

Budget: yes I think those who mentioned that 10K might be lowballing it a little are absolutely correct. I have a friend (not local, he's in New Mexico) who insisted 6K should be enough and showed me some Craigslist items he thought would work, but often when you get down to brass tacks it's just not realistic. I think at least raising it to 12K would be reasonable.

Carseat: The carseat my daughter has now, you can use it without the base and put the seatbelt through it, so I was thinking any seat that has a seatbelt can accomodate her carseat. Now, this carseat is good till she's 30 lbs and she's 21 lbs now. I will have to look at the carseats that are the next step up. But my truck right now doesn't have the anchors for the base and you can either run the seatbelt through slots in the base or through slots in the carseat itself.

Bathing: This is one of the things I'm embarrassed to say: I don't actually know what a 'wet bath' is or as opposed to what? Yes, my daughter and I do shower/ bath together, she is not old enough to bathe alone and this was one thing I was thinking about during our trip last summer/ fall. During the first part of the trip I was thinking we would just use facilities at the campground. Then after we stayed at a few campgrounds that had timed showers and required tokens, etc, it can be really hard to be efficient in a shower with a toddler, six minutes or whatever the time is may not be enough, plus weird showers sometimes freaked her out... sometimes this is just not what you want to deal with at the end of the day. So, I don't know where that leaves us except that yes we need to be able to shower inside the trailer/ RV and yes the shower needs to be big enough for both of us to squeeze into.

The truck: Yes, I am in a situation where I have so much money tied up in the truck I really can't trade it... except for possibly a very old compact car? It's hard to imagine towing that truck with a 20-something foot RV. THe truck is a standard cab and a short bed, but still... Now, how much my truck can tow? I don't want to sound dumb but I didn't quite understand the instruction for how to calculate this. When you say weigh the axles are you talking about driving it onto a scale? I am not familiar with any public access scales?

I was attracted to the Scamp, Casita and RPod models I saw - at least from the outside. I have not done a walkthrough on any of them, though I did go to RPod website and look at their layouts. And I did wonder about how much space we really need long term.

RV dealership: So I called the 3 RV dealerships in my area and they had nothing in my price range (I gave the 10K figure, maybe worth calling again if I up it to 12K or even 15K). I think it is a good suggestion to walk through just to get a feel of the floor plan, but I feel dishonest going to the dealerships when I know I will not buy? Maybe I need to get over that...  

Storage space: oh, yeah, I would like to say "I don't have a lot of stuff, so that's not an issue' ha ha ha. I'd like to THINK I don't have a lot of stuff, but I have enough so that yeah with a 15' trailer I would end up storing things in the truck, rifling through the entire back of the truck when you need to find something... I'm not the most organized person and that might just be a nightmare for me. I think I've been minimizing this, needed that reality check.

As for leveling, I'm not necessarily that strong. I am 5' tall, average weight, not particularly rugged build. Does that change anything?

Inspection: Second Chance mentioned an inspection by an RV mechanic. Suppose the seller is not comfortable with me driving the RV somewhere to get it inspected? Will the person come to the seller's premises for a fee?

I will add more thoughts to this, I just wanted to post something when I saw that my silence was rubbing some people the wrong way.

Thanks so much for all your help!

what year, make and model of truck?  What add-ons does it have like a rear top?  Open the drivers door  look for sticker that lists cargo capacity should not exceed and tell us that number.

2020 Platinum F350 6.7L CC DRW, 2021 Riverstone Legacy 37mre 5th wheel

In answer to your question about leveling - it doesn’t take any strength - for a trailer you basically put some sort of block on the ground and then pull the trailer onto the block.  Not a big deal at all, though it does a little extra time.  I’m 5’, solo and in the over 65 category - I love my travel trailer.

1 hour ago, Corrie473 said:

Bathing: This is one of the things I'm embarrassed to say: I don't actually know what a 'wet bath' is or as opposed to what? Yes, my daughter and I do shower/ bath together, she is not old enough to bathe alone and this was one thing I was thinking about during our trip last summer/ fall. During the first part of the trip I was thinking we would just use facilities at the campground. Then after we stayed at a few campgrounds that had timed showers and required tokens, etc, it can be really hard to be efficient in a shower with a toddler, six minutes or whatever the time is may not be enough, plus weird showers sometimes freaked her out... sometimes this is just not what you want to deal with at the end of the day. So, I don't know where that leaves us except that yes we need to be able to shower inside the trailer/ RV and yes the shower needs to be big enough for both of us to squeeze into.

No need to be embarrassed.  A wet bath is a room that has the toilet, sink and shower all in the same space. This is done to save room in smaller RVs.  While they are compact, they are also quite cramped, and many folks will not buy an RV with a wet bath. They also require some management of things like toilet paper and toiletries that you don't want to get wet during the shower itself  My advice would be to find a candidate trailer or two with a wet bath and "go through the motions".  You might like it just fine. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

3 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

No need to be embarrassed.  A wet bath is a room that has the toilet, sink and shower all in the same space. This is done to save room in smaller RVs.  While they are compact, they are also quite cramped, and many folks will not buy an RV with a wet bath. They also require some management of things like toilet paper and toiletries that you don't want to get wet during the shower itself  My advice would be to find a candidate trailer or two with a wet bath and "go through the motions".  You might like it just fine. 

To be even more clear the toilet is IN the shower in a wet bath so everything gets wet when you shower except for anything behind the shower curtain. For me, that meant I could sit on the toilet while taking a shower which my old body appreciated. When done I simply wiped everything down with a microfiber cloth so my bathroom was always clean.

As to your car seat, being able to just use a seat belt sounds fine but what happens if it has an attached shoulder belt?

RV dealers are used to people coming and looking multiple times before they decide what, if any, RV they will buy so do go look.

Yes, a good RV inspector will go see it at the dealer by appointment. If you decide to buy a used motorhome, it's generally good to get two inspectors--one for the engine and one for the "house".

No, you don't have to respond to each post each time; just don't stay away too long even if you just say thanks for giving me some more things to consider every now and then. That way we know you are listening.

Linda

To respond to a particular post look for the 'Quote' word at the very end of the post. Click on it and you will have the wording of that post. Go under the solid line under that wording and that is where you will do your reply.  Sometimes leaving the whole Quote is too long and unneeded.  You can just delete anything that doesn't pertain to your reply.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

6 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

To respond to a particular post look for the 'Quote' word at the very end of the post. Click on it and you will have the wording of that post. Go under the solid line under that wording and that is where you will do your reply.  Sometimes leaving the whole Quote is too long and unneeded.  You can just delete anything that doesn't pertain to your reply.

You can also highlight a few words or a sentence, and the option to quote that pops up.  Click on that and you're good to go.

Now back to the tow vehicle......In the original post, she says it's a V-6 4.3 Vortec.  Somewhere she also says it's a regular cab, short bed.  This might be a S-10, or at most a light half ton.  A Casita might be pushing the envelope here.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

13 hours ago, Corrie473 said:

I don't actually know what a 'wet bath' is or as opposed to what?

A wet bath is basically a compact shower with the toilet and sink inside to save space in the RV. See the picture for an example.

e4dce4b64ab593809db7083f074a410a.jpg 

You go inside and close the door to use it.

Budget: yes I think those who mentioned that 10K might be lowballing it a little are absolutely correct.

There are small trailers available used in the $10k range but you need someone who is experienced with RV use and operation to help you look at them. You won't find any of the fiberglass RVs like Scamp or Casita in good condition for that price but you might find something by KZ, Jayco, or several others that are 5 years or so old for that money.

When you say weigh the axles are you talking about driving it onto a scale? I am not familiar with any public access scales?

Truck scales like those at truck stops, give weight of each axle and total.

I feel dishonest going to the dealerships when I know I will not buy? Maybe I need to get over that...  

You definitely need to do this.If it bothers you, tell the salesperson exactly what you are doing. If not busy many of them will try to help, but just keep in mind that many sales people are short on knowledge and may try to rush you into buying, so be careful. 

As for leveling, I'm not necessarily that strong. I am 5' tall, average weight, not particularly rugged build.

That doesn't change anything as you level an RV by driving/towing it on to blocks under the wheels on the low side.

Inspection: Second Chance mentioned an inspection by an RV mechanic. ...................

Will the person come to the seller's premises for a fee?

Look for a mobile RV technician. Tell them what you want as many are happy to do this. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I think it is a good suggestion to walk through just to get a feel of the floor plan, but I feel dishonest going to the dealerships when I know I will not buy? Maybe I need to get over that...  

Yes, you need to get over that.
Seeing different floor plans is extremely important.  If you find the right floor plan, you will love your camper for a long time.
You are in "education mode" right now.  Don't call dealerships - instead simply visit them to learn - see what's available.

First, make a visit.  Think about what you learn from the visit.  Then re-visit and revisit again. 
It is the sales person's job to educate and sell - understand their job and try to understand your sales "person" you visit with.

Some salespeople are great people - they don't care if you buy or not - some sales people have the "passion" for camping and will love to educate you.
You're problem is that you don't even know what questions to ask.

A good sales person will realize your knowledge level and walk you through everything with patience.  If they don't do that, then you don't want them.

It took my wife and I five years of "looking" to finally see a camper (a motorhome) with a layout that we liked (we didn't buy it either).  And we looked at a LOT of campers and talked to a lot of sales people.  
But at least we know what we want exists.  Don't rush yourself.

The money: at some point you might want to learn about financing.  
Even if you don't want financing - it is worth learning about.  Education is everything.

You've put one foot forward - in the educational process.
Good work.  Keep it up, check back often.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich